What game (that has released so far) is the likely GOTY candidate in your opinion?

• Final Fantasy XIV: Shadowbringers

Votes: 116 7.8%
  • Resident Evil 2

Votes: 439 29.7%
  • Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

Votes: 309 20.9%
  • Fire Emblem: Three Houses

Votes: 229 15.5%
  • Devil May Cry 5

Votes: 78 5.3%
  • Monster Hunter: World - Iceborne

Votes: 37 2.5%
  • Other (please specify down below!)

Votes: 272 18.4%

• Total voters

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
It's Outer Wilds so far, easy.

I expect (hope!) that Death Stranding is gonna end up my GOTY but, so far, I haven't played anything this year that is as cool and impactful as Outer Wilds. It's amazing.

FFWarrior005

Alt account
Banned
Jul 13, 2019
It's far more likely to get a nomination than Iceborne or Shadowbringers - both of which are expansions & not even full releases.
I didn't say it wouldn't be nominated. And while most of the time DLC doesn't get GOTY awards we have seen it done before if the quality is high. Witcher 3 Blood and Wine won several GOTY awards so it's possible Shadowbringers or Iceborne could too.

closer

Oct 25, 2017
I think re2 is more "goty-ready" than sekiro but I did prefer the latter.

also I didn't play too many indies this year, I think if death stranding or star wars or outer worlds end up not being too great there is a possibility for an indie to come through tho I don't know them off the top of my head, I don't think there are any current "big" games out atm that really seem exceptional.

oh a poster above me said outer wilds, that's a pretty good choice and I'd place it above re2 or sekiro personally

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Wow, the Outer Wilds love in here is great. Definitely gonna give it a shot at some point.

Oct 25, 2017
It's Control for me at this stage and RE2 is the only one that's close. I got bored with Sekiro (though mods might bring me back) and Days Gone, and Gears 5 went from great to meh.

As for what will actually get nominated, maybe RE2 and/or Gears.

gazoinks

Jul 9, 2019
Control so far, but I need to play Jugdement and Plague Tale and there's Death Stranding on the horizon. It probably would be Outer Wilds, but I don't have the ability to play it soooo

SunhiLegend

The Legend Continues
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure which is more likely, it's pretty close for me between DMC5 and Sekiro with RE2 not that far behind, if we're included expansions though then it's even harder since Iceborne released this year as well.
MHWorld, RE2, DMC5, Sekiro are all pretty much masterclasses in their genre, ridiculously good with phenomenal gameplay, all 4 would most likely make my top 10 list for games this gen thinking about it.

FFWarrior005

Alt account
Banned
Jul 13, 2019
For the people saying Expansions like Shadowbringers or Iceborne have no chance of being in the discussion you might want to go back to 2016. The Witcher 3 Blood and Wine won quite a few GOTY awards and was likely in discussion for many more. That's proof enough that if the quality and content is good enough a DLC can win GOTY. Shadowbringers and Iceborne both fit that criteria.

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
I'm of three minds here: RE 2 is the potential candidate; DMC V/Iceborne are the ones I find to be the best; Ace Combat 7 however is the game that surprised me the most, and I'd vote anywhere I could.

In the end, it doesn't matter, as the clearer winner is yet to release.

AntiMacro

Oct 27, 2017
Alberta
In terms of what most people will vote for, I actually think Three Houses and Death Stranding will have much easier roads. DMCV and RE2 are just a littttttle too niche in terms of genre fanbases and Sekiro is maybe a touch divisive
In what world is Resident Evil 2 niche, Sekiro divisive...but Death Stranding isn't either? :D

I'd hope for A Plague Tale: Innocence, but it probably has no shot.

Playsage

Oct 25, 2017
Considering that Iceborne and Shadowbringer won't make the cut on most press lists, the only game already released that can be the runner up for most GotYs to Death Stranding this year is maybe RE2.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
I'll vote sekiro even though I still prefer BB. To be honest, this year so far has been kinda meh for goty contenders for me at least.

FFWarrior005

Alt account
Banned
Jul 13, 2019
In terms of what most people will vote for, I actually think Three Houses and Death Stranding will have much easier roads. DMCV and RE2 are just a littttttle too niche in terms of genre fanbases and Sekiro is maybe a touch divisive
Lol based on the press people I know I can tell you for a fact that your wrong about RE2. It's the frontrunner right now.

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
Gears 5 and Outer Wilds are my only candidates. Actually, throw Apex Legends in there too just for consideration.

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
Lol based on the press people I know I can tell you for a fact that your wrong about RE2. It's the frontrunner right now.

actually in terms of games I've played, it would be up there for me, I guess I assumed the "remakes shouldnt win!" crowd and the people who don't like horror games in general would hold it back

Sep 25, 2018
resident-evil-hero-banner-02-ps4-us-03jan19

sekiro-shadows-die-twice-homepage-marquee-desktop-01-ps4-us-21mar19

fd574fa7-0160-44fc-be20-97db950ec5b8.jpg

The Game Awards 2019 was just announced yesterday, returning to the Microsoft Theater in LA on December 12th, and it got me thinking. We're nearing that part of the year again, aren't we? Players and publications around the world coming up with their own little GOTY lists. People getting into arguments with each other over which game deserves to be crowned GOTY and other fun festivities. We still have a few months to go and a few heavy hitters like Death Stranding, Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order and DOOM Eternal to rear their heads, but we're far enough into the year that we've gotten a decent idea of what games will be sitting on the dozens of GOTY lists scattered across the internet. Last year at this point we had Celeste, Spider-Man, God of War and Monster Hunter: World. Now? Well, the likely games are: Sekiro, REmake2, DMC5, Iceborne, Three Houses and Shadowbringers.

Outta these, which one do you think is the likely GOTY candidate?

Personally, I think it's gotta be REmake2. It's currently tied with Shadowbringers as the best game of the year so far (according to Metacritic anyway), was a critical success and lauded as a faithful re-imagining of a beloved and iconic game. Couldn't ask for anything more, really. I think Three Houses and Shadowbringers will definitely give it a run for its money but I see REmake2 being the likely GOTY candidate for most gaming outlets and players, even if games like Death Stranding and DOOM Eternal release to great fanfare.

What say you, Era?

astral chain

FFWarrior005

Alt account
Banned
Jul 13, 2019
actually in terms of games I've played, it would be up there for me, I guess I assumed the "remakes shouldnt win!" crowd and the people who don't like horror games in general would hold it back
I think RE2 is viewed in a different way than a game like Crash Team Racing in terms of remakes. It feels like a new game to many people.

FFWarrior005

Alt account
Banned
Jul 13, 2019
Considering that Iceborne and Shadowbringer won't make the cut on most press lists, the only game already released that can be the runner up for most GotYs to Death Stranding this year is maybe RE2.
And you know this how? Or are you just assuming that DLC won't win? A lot of people said the same thing about Witcher 3 Blood and Wine and were proven wrong.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Smash ultimate pretty much takes it for me again one year later lmao. I know it doesn't count but it's still my favorite game I've played this year haha

Smash Ultimate certainly counts. It missed the cutoff point for The Game Awards last year, so it's eligible for this year. It's extremely unlikely it'll win, but it'll probably be a nominee for GotY.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
My personal GOTY so far is Three Houses, but I think Resident Evil 2 will end up being the actual winner, unless something comes along and dominates.

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
Resident Evil 2 is the front runner,Sekiro is behind,the rest it is to complete the table.Death Stranding is GOTY contender even if don't live up to the hype,but if match the hype,you sure can bet it will be overall GOTY this year.
Do you really think Three Houses has more chances than Sekiro and RE2,the latter you think is niche?oh man.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Currently finishing up FFXIV Shadowbringer and I love it but I think I'll have to give it to Sekiro. It's really close, though.

Cronogear

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
As of right now? Resident Evil 2.

Both Sekiro and FE: Three Houses were disappointing to me (Sekiro moreso), and I haven't played enough of DMC5 or Astral Chain to really form an opinion on either.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Shadowbringers biggest obstacle to winning awards is the near 200 hours of content you need to play to get to it. It's not a thing that most press outlets can just add to their docket before GOTY discussions arrive.

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
Personally? Shadowbringers. But none of the critics play it other than the Easy Allies so it will probably be between RE2 and Sekiro .

FFWarrior005

Alt account
Banned
Jul 13, 2019
Smash Ultimate certainly counts. It missed the cutoff point for The Game Awards last year, so it's eligible for this year. It's extremely unlikely it'll win, but it'll probably be a nominee for GotY.
It's possible it could be nominated at The Game Awards but I really doubt it. Best Ongoing game perhaps. As for most other outlets Smash was counted last year so it isn't eligible this year.

Ryo

Oct 28, 2017
I like your confidence but given the history of souls games in GOTY time it isn't at all likely.
They normally pick up a few awards, so far Sekiro doesn't have much competition outside of RE2 which is a remake, if SOTC is anything to go by last year RE2 shouldn't win too many awards.

SOTC was a 90 something on Metacritic/Opencritic and it didn't receive a single GOTY award from the 100s of reviewers on gotypicks.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pretty much guarantee that Outer Wilds is taking it.

Wargroove, Dragon Quest Builders 2, and Daemon X Machina are right up there too though.

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
Resident Evil 2 is the game that I would personally vote for at this moment in time, followed by Outer Wilds and Sekiro on the upper tier. Bloodstained, Control and Judgment are a notch just below those.

As for what the media consensus will be, I have no idea. Nothing that's come out so far this year really fits the type of game that generally wins a lot of media GOTY awards. My guess would be that something that's yet to release (Doom/Death Stranding/Outer Worlds/Star Wars/something else) will be the big winner assuming those games meet expectations.

lord_of_flood

One Winged Slayer
Jan 1, 2018
Fire Emblem is my personal GOTY but out of those, I expect RE2 to be the front runner since it's more GOTY-friendly for critics. However, Death Stranding will likely be the one that ends up taking home all of the awards with the critics unless it truly falls flat on its face.

aerobinson

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 6, 2019
Are we talking general consensus GOTY or personal? The latter for me is likely gonna be Control.

Druffmaul

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 24, 2018
RE2. No, Control... No... wait... lemme think about this...

"RE2 is just a remake of a 20 year old game."

And if its genuinely better than the new/original games released the same year, then too fucking bad for them.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I'd go with Resident Evil 2, but the Banjo & Kazooie Challenger Pack for Smash Ultimate is a close runner-up.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
Did you run out of poll options lol? Gears 5 is very much in the running with that stellar campaign.

I highly doubt it would win, of course. I think either SSBU, RE2, FE, or DS will take it.

Deleted member 18742

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Steins Gate Elite for me probably. That and Sekiro are the only games I bought this year and I didn't like Sekiro so SG it is

RavFiveFour

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
This is a GOTY award likely going to a game released in the next three months, but I mean last week we just got Gears 5, so nothing is set in stone.