TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I'm on my second playthrough on Borderlands 3 and i already clocked in 90 hours worth of game play. DLC hasn't even released yet or anything either i never thought i was going to be playing this game as much as i am right now. What game fits that bill for you this year?

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That's impressive, OP! I was sick of Borderlands 3 after 10 hours and traded it in today.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Fire Emblem Three Houses- map design isn't the best but there's a lot to do for self-impose Challenges. Plus having every character capable of being anyone adds more fun to the mix, tho it's also a flaw lol

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
FFXIV

I'm paying a sub and I feel like I got my money's worth. The sheer amount of time and joy that I have and continue to have out of it makes it worth it.

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
fire emblem three houses is an overwhelmingly long game worth every penny

Rhete

Oct 27, 2017
Baba is You, it looks like a cute jokey game at first and then becomes an incredibly deep puzzle game that just keeps going and going. I have 63 hours in it

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Crash Team Racing's value for $40 is kind of insane, so proably that.

Dreams for $30 as well, I probably have well over 100 hours on it.

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
All the ones that I bought, really -- pretty rare that I make a video game purchase I actually regret, being an enthusiast who hangs on forums like this and all.

But Fire Emblem: Three Houses is definitely a game that gives you an absolute shit load of mileage for its price tag. $60 and I've 130 hours, which accounts for less than 2/3 of the game's available routes. The amount of content -- especially character stories and interactions -- in that game is just madness.

Deleted member 1839

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gears 5 is one of the more content rich games this year and the fact that it's on gamepass makes it more than worth it.

AimLow

Dec 10, 2017
Borderlands 3 as well, for sure, can't wait for DLC.

Bloodstained. Interested as well to see what content they release for this.

Destiny 2 Shadowkeep.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Can't really beat Apex for free. Got like 13+ days in it.

But moneywise, Three Houses. Got way more playtime out of that than I expected.

Brix

Oct 25, 2017
Resident Evil 2. Played it at least 8 times. My game of the year so far.

Sekiro is definitely worth the money with that amazing combat.

I have Three houses but I haven't played it yet. I will start it soon.

DPT120

Oct 27, 2017
FE 3H. Put around 90 hours in one run and haven't finished my second one yet. There's a lot of replayability for me because I can still optimize and min/Max.

DQXIS- only around 15 hours in but it was worth the money. I'm really enjoying the game.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
In terms of what I bought in 2019

Full price - Days gone
Sale - Shadow warrior 2 and Hollow Knight

Deleted member 864

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely Three Houses. I still have the Black Eagles route to do and I've already put over 150 hours into the game.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Fuck I keep getting the urge to get CTR.

Wargroove I put about 90 hours into and a free DLC with 2 new commanders is coming soon.

I have 40+ hours in Dragon Quest Builders 2 and Deus X Machina (which just got PVP added) and both are worth full price.

This year has been amazing for games.

Acquiesc3

Oct 30, 2017
It's FF14. I've been subbed the whole year plus the expansion, plus mog station stuff probably $250+ total this year but all the content: especially the raids, the music, the story, leveling and learning new jobs makes it all worth it.

Oct 25, 2017
Baba is You, it looks like a cute jokey game at first and then becomes an incredibly deep puzzle game that just keeps going and going. I have 63 hours in it

Came here to say this.

Super Mario Maker 2 and Fire Emblem: Three Houses are the most obvious time sinks in the world (and both of them are quickly closing in on my enormous BotW playtime on Switch), but Baba Is You is a game that starts you off with these tiny one-step tutorial puzzles as if to sheepishly hide that it has enough ideas up its sleeve to develop and escalate its core idea for dozens of hours. It looks so quick and manageable, but then you see your accumulated playtime and your jaw drops.

I'm telling you all this, and if you haven't played the game you still have no idea how much depth you are in for.

Fire Emblem Three Houses- map design isn't the best but there's a lot to do for self-impose Challenges. Plus having every character capable of being anyone adds more fun to the mix, tho it's also a flaw lol

I've spent a perverse amount of time in FE3H, and the problem with the map selection is quantity more than anything. Once you do a few Paralogues or dive back in for a second run, it becomes really noticeable that this is still one game (as opposed to a three-in-one like Fates), since the map count just isn't big enough to support everything else the game is trying to do and there is quite a lot of reuse and repetition.

Still love the game, though, and this is a problem that is only really apparent when you're over 100 hours in. Until you hit that point, it feels boundless.

Last edited:

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Despite the shit writing, probably Borderlands 3 if we're talking about time spent vs money spent. Trying to think of any other game this year, and I'm drawing a blank. Maybe Devil May Cry 5, REmake 2, Sekiro and Bloodstained, but that's about it (they were all worth the money, but none of them got the same playtime as Borderlands 3). Mostly been playing games from the previous years. The only game that I've purchased so far that felt like a waste of money though would be Indivisible.

Unless it turns out to be really bad, I think the next game I'll sink a ton of hours into would be The Outer Worlds.

Last edited:

Mekanos

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 17, 2018
I put over 40 hours in Mario Maker 2 and it's a contender for my GOTY, so probably that.

I only played the first campaign for RE2 and I enjoyed it a lot, felt like it was worth the $40 I spent on it.

dedhead54

Oct 28, 2017
Definitely Three Houses. I'm currently at 50 hrs and taking a breather before I dive back in to finish my first play through.

I'm also at 40 hrs in Dragon Quest Builders 2 and I've barely just started the second island, so it definitely has a lot of bang for the buck.

Last edited:

xmonkeyofevil

Jun 9, 2019
Plants vs Zombies: Battle for Neighborville. Finished getting all characters to master rank today, just clocking over 92 hours into it. Still plenty of PvE stuff to do and I haven't even touched the arena PvP mode.

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
FFXIV, Kingdom Hearts III, Judgment, and Dragon Quest XI S.

I wouldn't say Fire Emblem because while it had a lot of stuff to do but most of that stuff became very stale very fast and I have absolutely no desire to ever play it again.

Wink784

Oct 27, 2017
Sekiro, two playthroughs before my save corrupted, so still having a lot to do if I wanna get the platinum on a rainy day.
Age of Wonders Planetfall is certainly worth its asking price for all the variety of playable factions and units.
Iceborne of course.

Generally I didn't feel ripped off by any game since FFXV and even that wasn't an amount of content as more a quality of content problem.
If what you happen to like isn't exactly the type of game that releases unfinished with a vague roadmap, a game usually justifies its asking price nowadays.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
C5B55CB7B7ECDE44674DF7B33BD739552AFC5F60

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
RE2, KH3, DMCV, Sekiro and currently playing Astral Chain which has been great so far. Those are all the games released in 2019 that I've gotten so far.

Also finally got around to BoTW, Bayo 2, and finished Mario Odyssey. Definitely great experiences.

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
I've played Sekiro, Outer Wilds, and Gears 5.

All three were good, Sekiro the best value. I think it is From Soft's best game, so that's tough to beat.

I have Age of Empires 2 DE and The Outer Worlds left for the year. I have high expectations for both.