The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Cooking class ("Home Economics" ?) was super fun in 8th grade. I loved that class.

I doubt our schools where I am still have it, TBH.

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
Mine became a "technology" class with computers, and science stuff. We got a mini wind tunnel, never used it
Yeah we had Tech class. Which, honestly, turned out to be relatively useful. Though, I would love to have learned how to wire a house at some point in my life before adulthood because I am horrified of electrics. Carpentry, cosmetic home renos like flooring, cabinetry etc, that's all pretty logical and straightforward to me. But electrical... I... I don't like wires.

Cooking class ("Home Economics" ?) was super fun in 8th grade. I loved that class.

I doubt our schools where I am still have it, TBH.
oh yeah and we had Home Ec. That was pretty fun, too, got to eat more food that you learned how to cook. I can (and do!) mend any kind of cloth, now. Don't throw that blouse out, dear, I'll sew it for you! Oops, blew out my jeans again, bust out the patches and sewing kit! I actually really like sewing, and I have Home Ec to thank.

But still, I don't think we had shop class or any woodworking or mechanic stuff.

tsmoreau

Oct 27, 2017
It's classism ya'll plain and simple

It's cool to know some carpentry and electrical if, and only if, you make your actual living some other way.

I can build cabinets, furniture, install light fixtures, set tile, install solar and battery systems, trim out a house and more.

This shit used to be universal, then we bred it out for sake of "it's someone else's job (someone of less worth)

RoadDogg

Oct 27, 2017
I was born in the mid 80s and this was never a thing for me. The closest you would get to a shop class was if you went to the vocational highschool instead of the normal one.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
I was born in the mid 80s and this was never a thing for me. The closest you would get to a shop class was if you went to the vocational highschool instead of the normal one.

80s baby and we had it in high school. Heck, my brother who is a 90s baby had it has well. Salome high school.

It's classism ya'll plain and simple

It's cool to know some carpentry and electrical if, and only if, you make your actual living some other way.

I can build cabinets, furniture, install light fixtures, set tile, install solar and battery systems, trim out a house and more.

This shit used to be universal, then we bred it out for sake of "it's someone else's job (someone of less worth)

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah we had Tech class. Which, honestly, turned out to be relatively useful. Though, I would love to have learned how to wire a house at some point in my life before adulthood because I am horrified of electrics. Carpentry, cosmetic home renos like flooring, cabinetry etc, that's all pretty logical and straightforward to me. But electrical... I... I don't like wires.

oh yeah and we had Home Ec. That was pretty fun, too, got to eat more food that you learned how to cook. I can (and do!) mend any kind of cloth, now. Don't throw that blouse out, dear, I'll sew it for you! Oops, blew out my jeans again, bust out the patches and sewing kit! I actually really like sewing, and I have Home Ec to thank.

But still, I don't think we had shop class or any woodworking or mechanic stuff.

Yeah this is me too with sewing. I used my mom's sewing machine to patch up a favorite pair of jeans which had a gnarley tear in the crotch.

spyroflame0487

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
Was curious about my HS. We have a Woodworking 1 and 2 courses (Semesters) and an Advanced Woodworking (Year long) course.
It also looks like they now have a CAD course and some other tech-related ones.
I actually don't see Home Ec on there any more which is surprising.

I took woodworking but i honestly can't recall a lot of what I learned or anything.
I really do think it'd be beneficial for kids to have a course Junior or Senior year to learn more about stuff like taxes/filing and general maintenance tips and information. However a lot of that stuff is easily available online now, especially in Reels/TikTok in easily digestible formats for kids today. (Especially useful as it kind of seems like attention spans have gone down the drain for most)

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
I graduated almost 20 years ago, but my high school at all of those things. I was running a bandsaw, 3hp router, and belt sander in 7th grade. I learned how to wire a house in 10th grade. It seems insane looking back that the school would be like "here's a corded hole hawg, an augur bit, needlenose pliers, a hammer and some wire strippers, get at it kid!"

For those who don't know, a hole hawg is a large right angle drill, that,, as a modern cordless solution, has anti-kickback technology but the corded ones back then had no clutch and broke the arms, legs and jaws of many grown-ass men in the last 50 years.

Our high school had automotive repair, welding, etc. Lots of options. I hope it's still like that today, and I don't see why it wouldn't be. It was a small town high school but it seemed pretty well-funded.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
My kid went to a Career Center for vocational classes. I don't know what all they offered but he went for engineering and there were basically shop classes there. Got him quite a few college credits and introduced him to someone who got him an internship that really interested him during the summer. I like the push to alternate means of further education beyond the college tract.

MayorTinstle

Sep 19, 2023
For those who didn't have these classes growing up- have you found any good outlets for learning those skills as an adult?

Wanace

Oct 29, 2017
I took shop and home ec when I was in middle school. We made letter openers and wooden shelves and candle holders in shop, it wasn't anything like fixing cars or the like.

Home ec was more fun, I made a pair of boxer shorts and a teddy bear and learned how to cook.

cyress8

"This guy are sick"
Avenger
Still have them where I live. The classes are actually not part of a school but the whole district so kids from other schools actually can meet up and take the same classes. They allow high school kids to choose going there as an elective class during the day and during the evenings, adults take classes to learn blue collar jobs.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I jumped between 4 highschools and did: wordworking, AutoCAD/Drafting, advanced autoCAD with autolathe, tech theater(sewing and word working for props), and Cooking I think.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
My parents practically forced me to take a couple of shop classes and it was one of the best things I did in high school. I learned some really good life skills, especially in auto class.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
I wish these were still popular. They're basic skills everyone should know and isn't that what school should be about?

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
They not only still exist, there are far more options now.

My daughter is taking agriculture, with the plan to eventually move into archeology. Since she is ahead in all her required courses she also has the opportunity to start college classes at a local college her senior year of high school.

bmdubya

Nov 1, 2017
Colorado
Have shop classes actually declined or are people just assuming they have in here?
Very much so; the school I used to work at partnered with a local community college to offer a shop class, kids could learn all sorts of trade skills. The school also got a bunch of grants from local businesses to buy state of the art equipment. Over the semester they'd build a small home in the shop so kids could learn about plumbing, electrical, woodworking, etc. This was a school that had an enrollment of about 1200 kids and they had to shut down the program due to lack of interest. I think in the last semester the program was offered they had like six kids, and four of them were there because they needed an elective to fill out their schedule so they couldn't care less about the class.

Interest in trades have declined dramatically, not like it was high when I graduated high school in 2007 but it's even worse these days.

Oct 25, 2017
I liked shop class a lot in middle school. I dont remember actually having any options for things like that in high school, and this was back in the 00s.

I wish we learned more. I self taught a lot of home maintenance and car maintenance basics. Would've loved to actually have classes on them.
Very much so; the school I used to work at partnered with a local community college to offer a shop class, kids could learn all sorts of trade skills. The school also got a bunch of grants from local businesses to buy state of the art equipment. Over the semester they'd build a small home in the shop so kids could learn about plumbing, electrical, woodworking, etc. This was a school that had an enrollment of about 1200 kids and they had to shut down the program due to lack of interest. I think in the last semester the program was offered they had like six kids, and four of them were there because they needed an elective to fill out their schedule so they couldn't care less about the class.

Interest in trades have declined dramatically, not like it was high when I graduated high school in 2007 but it's even worse these days.
I wonder what vacancies look like in trade based fields. Feel like there is going to be a lot of money and jobs are going to be super expensive soon enough. As someone that sits all day just typing for work, I actually enjoy the house work that I can do. Mostly electrical and basic woodworking, but its great to truly use my hands for something

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
It's been years, but I remember not wanting to do shop classes and activities simply because of the amount of dudes involved. I seem to remember being interested in home-ec, but my schedule never really allowed for it. I had to do intro to tech to get into computer classes, but as soon as I was finished I never went back to those shop classes.

Auto was the popular classes for boys. It was in a different building so kids would smoke, or look at girls, or whatever they do on the way over there. It was an excuse to leave the building.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
I took metal shop, wood shop and 3D Art (which was basically just making stuff out of clay or woodwork) in high school and didn't really learn anything from it. Just made crappy rings and bird houses. It was mostly the class that everybody goofed off in to be honest. I think there's a difference between that and actual vocational/trade schools.

timshundo

CANCEL YOUR AMAZON PRIME
Oct 27, 2017
CA
My school had so much. I didn't do shop but we did... I don't even know how to describe it... like print shop? We made our own business cards and note pads from scratch using these crazy old looking ink press printer things where you actually lather a dollop of thick ink onto rollers and transfer your design onto a metal sheet or something. Then we used one of those huge digital guillotine paper cutters to slice everything up. then we silkscreened stuff onto tshirts, it was crazy! But first we had to draw our designs and then digitize it in adobe illustrator on Apple eMacs. My first time using OS X, I couldn't believe how mich it felt like decades ahead of XP. I was converted then and there.

I loved all of it. I hope it's all still there.

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
Wish I was taught Home Maintenance and Yard Work in HS. Shit is fucking expensive.

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
I graduated HS in 2010 and my school had nothing like this. But there were also discussions about cutting extra band programs like Jazz and marching, and art stuff all the way back then. So wouldn't be surprised if this had already been cut sometime before I got there

Oct 27, 2017
I took some of these in JR/SR year as I had enough core class credits.

One was a "graphics" class. We got to use a printing press, screen printing, photography, and a few other things I can't recall now. Lot of fun but some of it ended up as free labor for the school lol. We ended up printing flyers for some school functions as well as making t-shirts for some of the clubs and some they sold. Photography was kinda fun as we got to manually develop film in a dark room too.

Also took an electrical class. Learned how to do wiring and a few other tasks. It was taught by the HS football coach so in some ways you could tell he didn't give a shit.

We had some other "shop" classes that I knew of but never took. Know we had woodworking, auto (taught at local Comm College) and a FFA class. Maybe some others I'm forgetting.

This was like 20 years ago tho.

Humanity

Aug 31, 2019
I had wood working shop class where we used all sorts of industrial saw cutters and drills in 6th grade and it was a ton of fun.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
Never had one and I'm glad. It sounds awful.

Basically describes how I feel lol. They are useful skills to have but I'd legit rather take up working overtime at an office job and using the extra money I make from that to pay someone else to whatever home improvement thing I need done than to do it myself.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
20 years ago the only stereotypical "shop" class we had was auto shop.

I spent most of my electives doing drafting and various computer focused courses but that's not really the same I guess.

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
School where I work has auto shop. I hear the teacher has deals with suppliers around town for cheap parts. Then he has the students use said parts to fix up teachers' and friends' cars in exchange for pizza and soda, which he then sells to his own students for cash for more cheap parts.

Highly illegal black market, actually. Anything where money leave's a child's hand into a teacher's has to be documented, approved, and filed six different ways. In triplicate. No way he's doing that.

JdFox17

Oct 26, 2017
My school district doesn't even have a foreign language offering anymore. School budgets are stripped so bare in most states that you're lucky if you have a class under 30 for a core subject because there's not enough funding to pay enough teachers. Hell, I manage 16 grade books for separate English classes and run a Yearbook as an extracurricular because there's not enough funding to hire another teacher.

But we have enough money to field about 12 different athletic programs! Priorities.

smurfx

Oct 25, 2017
i think these days they should create a class called home care where they teach you how to patch up holes in walls and even wire up a plug. many kids these days don't know how to do any of this. even simple stuff like checking your oil in cars would be good to teach.

Otakunofuji

Oct 27, 2017
We still have all of that here, and even some more advanced carpentry classes we definitely didn't have when I was a kid. This is a rural town, though, so ag / metal shop and auto shop and woodshop are all things kids either already know how to do (easy A's!) or actually want to learn.

Maso

Sep 6, 2018
Growing up, those classes were mostly limited to those with social connections. There weren't many spaces for nobodies to get in.

Speaking Metal, Auto, Wood.

Oct 25, 2017
I was excited when I got to college and finally had the opportunity to seek out a class like this myself, since my prior schooling had no such thing. Got to build a bunch of things out of wood using tools that could chop my fingers off, it was fun.

ceebs

Oct 28, 2017
When I was in high school over 20 years ago they existed, but you were not allowed to take them if you were on a college prep diploma track. You had to pick either AP classes or vocational. Could not do both.

Rhomega

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
I remember there was a metal shop class in middle school. We called it "Industrial Arts". I was picked to take the class, but was quickly able to trade it for a regular art class, which was fine since the shop teacher said the class was full up anyway.

Lucini

Oct 27, 2017
I got banned from Shop going into High School (at my parents request) because they thought I was too careless/clumsy for it. (turns out I was having issues with balance and vision from an allergy to a medicine I was taking) -- it turned into Advanced/ROP Theatre in my school.

amon37

Oct 27, 2017
Anecdotally, They have basically split them off into separate schools. You can take culinary arts but there is no "home economics " class anymore

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
I hated my shop class in high school, the teacher was a douchebag and would regularly call me dumb because I had trouble with electrical stuff.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i've an in-law that teaches auto-shop in a rural ass area. i assume those classes are still around in places like that, because there's really not shit for those kids to do. and obvs those districts aren't super invested in "the arts"

Zulith

Oct 25, 2017
West Coast, USA
I never took any of the woodworking or metalworking classes, but my HS offered three different cooking classes so I took em all! I also took small engine repair which was one of my most fun classes that year, it barely felt like a class at all. Learned lots of practical skills and was even able to put them to use when our home lawnmower needed some fixing. I also excelled at the drafting course--this was when they did ALL of it with paper and pencil. While I had no interest in actually becoming an architect, I figured it would be useful as someone who liked to draw as a hobby. And it was.

I figured all those sorts of classes were still popular with kids/teens, would be shocked if they were being phased out due to low interest. I would be inclined to believe that many schools probably don't give much of a damn about so-called electives that don't contribute much to test scores, but that's a crying shame and I'd want to move districts immediately if that were happening to my kids.

In a lot of ways, today's kids are learning a lot less of the real world skills they will need in their actual lives than in the past. The entire public education system in the USA needs to be reevaluated for how well it prepares people for their lives.