• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which will release in 2021?

• BOTW 2

Votes: 665 50.0%
  • Elden Ring

Votes: 241 18.1%
  • FFXVI

Votes: 311 23.4%
  • None

Votes: 112 8.4%

• Total voters

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think BOTW2 will be next year and XVI will be targeted for late in the year but get delayed to early 2022.

Elden Ring? Who knows. I just want to see it again at this point.

Jan 11, 2018
Elden Ring. FROM are super efficient, and Zelda has a long history of constantly getting delayed. FF even moreso haha.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Why do you folks keep saying FFXVI will be delayed into 2022 when the game doesn't have a release date in the first place? You can't delay what hasn't an official set date.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
We seem to be weirdly confident that BotW 2 is next year, even though A) we've seen absolutely nothing of it since the original teaser, B) Japan's game development has been hit particularly hard by the pandemic, and C) it has an utterly massive quality bar to clear considering how incredibly well-received the original was. I'd love to be proven wrong here, of course, but...

Elden Ring could probably happen next year. Mostly depends on how much George R. R. Martin is doing with it, lol. (Crazy that Winds of Winter still isn't ready.)

FFXVI is definitely 2022, though we should see a lot of cool stuff about it this year. It looks like the rare FF where development was actually going smoothly pre-pandemic.

AGJTX

Jan 28, 2020
I would say all three are going to be released next year with BOTW2 and FF16 being holiday games.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Age of Calamity makes me think we see BoTW2 next year. Haven't we been getting Zelda titles almost every year now?

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
botw2 is definitely 2021 unless covid really threw a wrench in things
elden ring in 2022 sounds ridiculous to me but we haven't seen it yeet so maybe it goes that direction
ff16 i would say is definitely 2022. looks far along, not that far along

Deleted member 19742

Oct 27, 2017
BOTW2 is definitely the most likely one to release next year. The killjoy in me sort of expects none of 'em, though.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Chose FF16 since it actually had footage beyond being a trailer and being more grounded and real then that fake FF15 reannouncement trailer.

BoTW 2 and ER were just teasers but I can see BoTW 2 releasing earlier as well because Nintendo has a habit lately of putting out a ton of new news after a hiatus right before a launch of said game.

OP
OP

Deleted member 1839

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We seem to be weirdly confident that BotW 2 is next year, even though A) we've seen absolutely nothing of it since the original teaser, B) Japan's game development has been hit particularly hard by the pandemic, and C) it has an utterly massive quality bar to clear considering how incredibly well-received the original was. I'd love to be proven wrong here, of course, but...

Elden Ring could probably happen next year. Mostly depends on how much George R. R. Martin is doing with it, lol. (Crazy that Winds of Winter still isn't ready.)

Your first point about BOTW 2 applied to Elden Ring honestly as well.

As far as why people believe it could come next year? It's a result of two patterns. 1) A Zelda title has launched every year for the Switch 2) A Zelda game has released the same day for Switch hardware.( Switch launch and BOTW, Switch Lite release and Link's Awakening).

Age of Calamity makes me think we see BoTW2 next year. Haven't we been getting Zelda titles almost every year now?
Yep.

2017-BOTW
2018-Hyrule Warriors Deluxe
2019-Link's Awakening
2020-AoC

Last edited:

TripleBee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Vancouver
Elden Ring is still slated for PS4/Xbox One
Odds are BoTW will be either crossgen/or exclusive to the Switch 2
FF16 is Nextgen only

Based on this- I will say Elden Ring is first up in 2021

Fullmetallad

Jun 1, 2019
Elden Ring is biggest From Soft project and their first open-world. Ain't coming out before 2022. I really hope they have moved to next-gen only at this point. Would sucks if we see the game in 2022 with the same old engine.
considering it began development in march 2017 and it was originally planned to release in the first half of this year according to Jason Schreier, i highly doubt it will take that much longer in development.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Breath of the Wild sequel feels like a 2021 release to me. FFXVI feels pretty confidently along in development based on the info out of Squenix to me, and a 2021 release doesn't strike me as odd but I do also feel like Squenix has been transparent in saying that it's been impacted pretty drastically by COVID pandemic so it's got a wild card element. Elden Ring doesn't strike me as anywhere near ready with only a cinematic teaser out so far and very little comment on its progress. The timeline from tease to release on both Bloodborne and Sekiro felt pretty long in my mind, with the shortest turn around impression coming from Dark Souls 3. I wonder if From is going hard on a next gen engine this time too.

phant0m

Oct 29, 2017
I think we would have seen BOTW2, possible XVI if it wasn't for COVID. Sadly, there was (and still is) COVID, so I don't think we'll see either.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
BOTW 2. Nintendo are basically using the same engine, artstyle, models & assets from the first BOTW game. It's similar to how they've developed Majora's Mask after Ocarina of Time from N64.

Lol seriously?
Y'all are crazy
People seriously think a Final Fantasy and a Zelda are more likely to come out than a From Software game?

See my above post.

Last edited:

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Surely Breath of the Wild 2? It's been nearly 4 years since the first game, The Legend of Zelda franchise celebrates its 35th anniversary next year and Age of Calamity releasing this year feels like a good build up to the 'main event' in 2021.

FFXVI, not sure. We won't be waiting years for it luckily, but it sounds like it could be an early 2022 title. As for Elden Ring...lol who the fuck knows?

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
It's been how many years since a mainline Final Fantasy released on-time, and that was without Squar-Enix talking about coronavirus like it had been a full-stop shutdown of their operations?

I love Yoshi-P, but that game can't release on his iron will alone. They might schedule it tentatively for next year, but it's getting pushed back.

Elden Ring... have we even seen gameplay? There's a trailer that just looks like B-roll from a Dark Souls project and you have the world's most powerful procrastinator on-staff. Shit's vaporware as far as I'm concerned. If it even really exists I'll accept it as a pleasant surprise, but I'm not holding my breath.

Res

Oct 25, 2017
Actually I think all of them have a fair chance of hitting 2021. FF16 doesn't seem to have the same development issues as ff15
It's been how many years since a mainline Final Fantasy released on-time, and that was without Squar-Enix talking about coronavirus like it had been a full-stop shutdown of their operations?

I love Yoshi-P, but that game can't release on his iron will alone. They might schedule it tentatively for next year, but it's getting pushed back.

Elden Ring... have we even seen gameplay? There's a trailer that just looks like B-roll from a Dark Souls project and you have the world's most powerful procrastinator on-staff. Shit's vaporware as far as I'm concerned. If it even really exists I'll accept it as a pleasant surprise, but I'm not holding my breath.

Nope, no gameplay ever since the last year's e3 reveal trailer. GRRM's work seems to be long finished, however.

SkyOdin

Apr 21, 2018
I think both BotW2 and FFXVI will be out by the end of next year. On the other hand, we haven't seen enough of Elden Ring for me to be confident that it is coming that soon. I won't bet against it, but I'm just not expecting it.

Oct 25, 2017
Elden Ring - 100%
BOTW2 - 50%
XVI - 15%
giphy.gif

Deleted member 3196

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, my gut tells me Zelda is the only lock for next year. Lots of things falling into place to make it a reality - 35th anniversary, a prequel to the Breath of the Wild world coming out next month... It just seems like a release and marketing plan is coming together.

Final Fantasy XVI is looking further along than I expected for the reveal, so maybe that one.

We've seen nothing from Elden Ring so who knows how far along it is? The game could be anywhere between "almost ready" to "needs a lot more work" to "getting rebooted because the current version is a disaster". We just have no idea.

But frankly, all three games are still shrouded in a lot of mystery, so it's conceivable that all three miss next year, especially with COVID-19 throwing a spanner into the works.

5pectre

Nov 16, 2017
I see BOTW2 as being very possible. Could see it being released alongside the rumored Switch Pro

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
Its obviously Zelda, the other two are so unknown, and BOTW 2 is a sequel based on a lot of existing stuff.
We don't even know what Elden Ring looks or plays like ffs.

Sacrilicious

Oct 30, 2017
I don't know enough about FFXVI to speculate, but between the other two it's definitely BOTW2.

It's a sequel with an established engine, mechanics and assets. Nintendo also tend to hold games close to the vest until they are ready for release, so not seeing any footage isn't really concerning.

Elden Ring is completely new and ambitious game that now has to change platforms. It could very well be in development hell for all we know. I'm looking forward to it but I'm really not expecting anything soon.

DaleCooper

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo needs some substantial to release In 2021. BotW2 is a good candidate for that.

My Elden Ring (and Soulsborne) hype is stone dead at this point in time. I can wait some years for a new game.

Dalik

Nov 1, 2017
No chance XVI releases less than 5 months apart from XIV next expansion which will come on September, people are completely missing the bigger picture.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
I haven't followed Elden Ring's development at all, so I have no idea if it will come out in 2021, 2031, or next week in game magazines.

I think FFXVI has probably been in development for a bit longer than BotW2. We know that the leads of FFXVI left FFXIV near the end of the Heavensward content cycle, which was early 2017. Also around the same time that BotW released. FFXVI planning probably began before that. Development could have even started before that. I think early 2017 is when FFXVI went into full swing development. The BotW team at the time would have been split between DLC and planning the next game.

Given my totally ass-pully timeline here, I think FFXVI has a better chance of releasing in 2021, but I also think that both are fairly likely. What's giving me pause is thinking SE might want to space out Yoshida's division having two major releases in 2021 (next FFXIV expansion and FFXVI) for their fiscal reports. And then there's the curse of Zelda games always seemingly being delayed.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
Elden Ring is biggest From Soft project and their first open-world. Ain't coming out before 2022. I really hope they have moved to next-gen only at this point. Would sucks if we see the game in 2022 with the same old engine.
You dont run a ship that Fromsoft has and be ok with developing a game for close to 4 years, that just aint how From rolls. The understandable delay from covid has people making all kinds of wild predictions, the game is late due to the current wolds events, no need to extrapolate more beyond that.