• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JasoNsider

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Woof

I wish the warriors would just massively chill out. At the end of the day, you won't care about power because (as Matt and other Jason already said) they are both incredibly strong machines doing things we've never seen before. You will care about the games.

Personally I think the PS5 specs are a dream come true. When Cerny said developers were asking for faster drives, I can only confirm I'd personally say the same. We can already push a ton of pixels to screen, but getting an ultra fast drive standard in every box is something we've never had. And as I said a few weeks ago: the faster the better. However, that's just me. There are a lot of developers who might think differently about this. I think most developers will agree that both these boxes are just super impressive!

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
This part has me confused.

The difference between 1x, and pro for most games

1440P/1800P vs 4k
Higher resolution textures
More stable framerate(not 30vs60)

For that difference we needed
50% more ram
35% more bandwith
10% faster cpu
45% faster gpu
4 extra CU

How are we going to get a repeate of the 1x/pro with

Same amount of ram
20% more bandwidth
8% faster cpu
15-20% faster gpu
16 extra CU

Will the extra 12 CU make that big of a difference?

Can someone like dictator chime in?

Much of that power difference was spent on resolution.

Next gen, everyone's gonna be targeting 4K 60fps. Extra power will likely spill over into (probably slightly) improved visuals or smoother frame rates.

scabobbs

Oct 28, 2017
Great of you to clarify. This is why you take EVERYTHING you see on the internet with a grain of salt. Its almost never the full picture.

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
I hope Jason don't lose faith in humanity after reading this thread. Ps5 being amazing does not mean xsx is shit. Unless you are fighting for the chance to say who will buy the most amazing console, then there is no hope for you

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
Why can't people just except the series X is more powerful, find it strange.
because it's an assumption of fact that is yet to be proven. all the numbers actually say is that both platforms will be robust.
You'd have to run actual comparative benchmarks to see if those different numbers actually panned out to a major performance difference.
Right now no one can say for sure.

unless you just want to pick a "team" and root for them, in which case, do it quietly.

AYF 001

Oct 28, 2017
From what I understood, it sounded like PS5 will have more ways to free up GPU usage than XSX. Having a faster SSD with the Geometry engine means you can have dynamically rendered levels of polygon complexity based on draw distance (for example: an object that would traditionally look blocky at a distance would instead have a well defined outline, but the "inside" shape would still be lower quality until you get closer). I might be misremembering, but if the 3D audio processing is separate from the GPU, then that would yield a higher audio quality without sacrificing physics or graphics. And it also sounded like the CPU could also perform some graphics workload if the game is more GPU-dependent.

Hurting Bomb

Oct 28, 2017
because it's an assumption of fact that is yet to be proven. all the numbers actually say is that both platforms will be robust.
You'd have to run actual comparative benchmarks to see if those different numbers actually panned out to a major performance difference.

unless you just want to pick a "team" and root for them, in which case, do it quietly.
Oh right, so after all the specs released over the last couple of days PS5 can still be more powerful than series X.....
This reminds me of Xbox fanboys trying to spin the specs of the Xbox One to bring it in line with the PS4.

Yogi

Banned
Nov 10, 2019
I think the messaging is that don't start sulking if you're a playstation fan. It has its merits too. The difference isn't earth shatterring and there might even be some big upsides in some games.

Xbox fans can relax.

Meanwhile, PC fans are sweating for our triple digit framerates. Need some massive strides in GPU and CPU power to keep that up. I'm back to considering holding off for another year now.... :/

Enthusiasts will always care about the power.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018

I mean, no, it's a fact that SeX is more powerful. It doesn't mean that PS5 isn't a great console. That's the point of this thread.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Personally I think the PS5 specs are a dream come true. When Cerny said developers were asking for faster drives, I can only confirm I'd personally say the same. We can already push a ton of pixels to screen, but getting an ultra fast drive standard in every box is something we've never had. And as I said a few weeks ago: the faster the better. However, that's just me.
I think the problem is that what devs want may not be particularly appealing or easy to convey to mass market consumers. Cerny had an hour here and people just kinda shrugged it off.

Jeronimo

Nov 16, 2017
I've been avoiding the warz fray but some of these responses are actually a decent distraction in the time of corona.

The lack of self awareness and no understanding of context or nuance is a bit disappointing unless you give posters too much credit and just assume they are trolling.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I'm super glad this topic was made and cleared up confusion.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
Oh right, so after all the specs released over the last couple of days PS5 can still be more powerful than series X.....
This reminds me of Xbox fanboys trying to spin the specs of the Xbox One to bring it in line with the PS4.
if you're flashing back to fanboy battles maybe relax. if this is all about not letting them be in the same neighborhood, relative to power, and one has to be dominant over the other as a selling point to satisfy consumer anxiety, just buy the one with the biggest numbers and be happy with your purchase.

in b4 "this is just more fanboy spin" haven't owned a playstation since the psx.

Isayas

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
On paper the Series X is more powerful than PS5 but real performance has to be seen. You guys can clown me for this post but it is a fact.

Josh378

Oct 27, 2017
Man, my whole view of this whole thing is that the Xbox is put all of it's stats in strength, force, magic and mana while the PS5 put a great amount of their stats there but then put the rest in speed, intelligence, support and unique skills.

Both still dope, just different ways of fighting a battle.

I'm getting both day one.

Hulk vs Dr Strange?

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
The thread clarifying what Jason meant managed to be as embarrassing as the last one. I'm impressed.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Depends on the needs of the game to stream through its best assets without pop-in etc. Scaling a game out to tap that speed on the SSD, if it needs that speed, wouldn't be difficult to do on multiplats I guess.

More fundamental uses around game design and the like? Or big shifts in time:space tradeoffs? Yes, that needs more dedicated rethinking.
Yeah, some changes in game design will be easily implemented multiplatform, I think the main issue here is messaging by Cerny. The talk was pushed as a general talk for the public and not just devs, and the general public is very confused how the SSD tech can be utilized to make up for the perceived lack of power compared to Xbox, especially if the game isn't a PS5 exclusive.

Sony would have been better off just showing the PS5 hardware and 1 or 2 games, then people wouldn't only have spec wars to focus on. Or if sticking to purely a tech talk and their proprietary tech can be easily adapted by developers to multiplatform titles to make the games run equally as well on PS5 as their competitors, let the public know...

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Woof

I wish the warriors would just massively chill out. At the end of the day, you won't care about power because (as Matt and other Jason already said) they are both incredibly strong machines doing things we've never seen before. You will care about the games.

Personally I think the PS5 specs are a dream come true. When Cerny said developers were asking for faster drives, I can only confirm I'd personally say the same. We can already push a ton of pixels to screen, but getting an ultra fast drive standard in every box is something we've never had. And as I said a few weeks ago: the faster the better. However, that's just me. There are a lot of developers who might think differently about this. I think most developers will agree that both these boxes are just super impressive!
Exhausting isn't it? Both machines will be good.

Be sure to say something nice about the XSX, wouldn't want some people here to continue to feel bad or whatever.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
I think the problem is that what devs want may not be particularly appealing or easy to convey to mass market consumers. Cerny had an hour here and people just kinda shrugged it off.

Agreed, they need to show, not tell. Show the advantages, show how it might not have been so good if they did something different. Give the concepts a sexy name even. If people can see it and easily articulate it, half the job is done in terms of communicating whatever strengths there might be here.

Unfortunately Cerny's talk was very much aimed at people - developers - who can fill in the blanks for themselves, or extrapolate the implications for their own games. Not at consumers.

Yeah, some changes in game design will be easily implemented multiplatform

I would say less game design changes in a multiplat context, as asset management scaling, if the game isn't already easily served at its max asset fidelity by slower storage. Which might be... until we see games and their demands, we don't really know yet.

But agreed on the messaging, totally.

Last edited:

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
What's up with all the damage control for the ps5? It's a great console in it's own right but Jason's transcribe makes it seems like the xbox series x is inefficient and unoptimized. Both consoles are doing different things which is nice. It's not like we comparing an HHD to and nvme

If what you are reading out of what he is saying is "damage control" I think that says more about you than him.

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
Thanks Jason. Resetera wants me to believer on console warriors that says there is a huge difference between both but I stay with you, developers and Cerny. It is obvious the diff is really small.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London

I thought of it more like
giphy.gif
V
giphy.gif

This isn't a serious post.

Nazgûl

Banned
Dec 16, 2019
He literally said this

At least that's what i got out of it *shrug*
I dont see it like that. To me, Jason it's just telling to PS fans to not be worried about the PS5 being less powerfull (wich it is) than the XSX, there are more things that just TFs. He is been saying this for a long time. And all of this is related to how bad Sony marketing is right now.

Seganomics

Oct 29, 2017
Do they not like to dev on the Xbox Series X? Are they only excited to dev on the PS5?

It seems Sony may have been having a different conversation with devs this time around than the team at Xbox. We are even hearing of devs under NDA surrounding PS5's capabilties. If what is being implied by Jason's Dev contacts is true, then Sony seem to have presented the answer to a design philosophy that opens up avenues game developers hadn't previously considered, or had but were hamstrung by current/incoming tech (including XSX). This being all correct then this gen should be even more of a wash than the last in the Playstation/Xbox gaming universe. Games may never be the same again. Fascinating.

Status
Not open for further replies.