• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
When the whole split-Strange thing revealed, I was expecting a happy ending where the good-Strange win or managed to talk down the evil-Strange.

As was I. And it's why I'm enjoying this series so much: it didn't deliver that.

The ending to the Doctor Strange episode was much more in line with the comic series in that it's not a happy ending.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
I hope season 2 that they have more writers/guest writers to helm each episode. I feel like the writing is the weakest, or at least most inconsistent, part from episode to episode for me.

Maybe they have the directors of the different movies advising on the script and characters, but it's something where I think that some stronger dialog/jokes/story/character could have helped elevate the series more as a whole, especially since each episode is literally like a short film and the series in an anthology. Getting various names to write an episode could also be a big draw for the series. On top of that, the expectations are high given the source material in the films and even What If? type of stories in the comics. I think that is the thing the Doctor Strange episode did for me; it wasn't just the downer ending that felt more conclusive (and more like an episode of the Twilight Zone), it was that it went a little bit further to tap into an aspect of the character we already know and draw some emotion out of the story. I felt this Killmonger episode was able to do that as well, whether it was the real-life parallel to losing Chadwick or just the themes they were able to tap into from Black Panther and Iron Man that felt like a clever use of the characters and worlds, it felt like for me the story was able to strike an emotional chord, or at least evoke emotion.

For all the criticisms of the zombie episode I've seen here, there was an emotional core to the story, even if all the execution of the story didn't quite stick the landing strongly. I think the format, even at the 30 minute runtime, can completely work, but they need the scripts to be air tight and punchy. The jokes and the emotional character moments can't really just flop with the pacing being what it is.

Not only can it be a bit of a fun playground for writers (directors? maybe not since it's animation and a different process than live-action), but since they already have gotten all these big name actors to reprise their roles, make sure they get lines to flex their acting a bit and have fun with it. I think some moments seem like they have given that to some of the actors, but some actors feel a little wasted or at least under-utilized and since this may have been some of the first voice acting for some of them, having strong lines, fun dialog, and clear vocal direction seem like the sorts of improvements that could make short episodes punch above their weight.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The timing works against the writing, the pace is sped up a bit too much to give the dialogue any time to breathe.

If we're getting 9 episodes a season, I think I'd rather see 3 unique stories each season told over 3 part episodes than 9 stories told so abruptly.

Shadownet

Oct 29, 2017
I gotta say, so far What If..? has been the most disappointing of all the Marvel shows. The only one that's any good is the Captain Carter, Doctor Strange and the T'Challa Star Lord episodes.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
I love the scenario's they keep coming up with and the expansion of what we already know at a much faster pace, but these cop out endings are a bust.
I get the comics can end abruptly as they're just peeks into a What If scenario, but TV is a different medium. You can't keep asking to the audience to make up their own endings.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
I love the scenario's they keep coming up with and the expansion of what we already know at a much faster pace, but these cop out endings are a bust.
I get the comics can end abruptly as they're just peeks into a What If scenario, but TV is a different medium. You can't keep asking to the audience to make up their own endings.
Seems the open endings are a nod to shows like The Twilight Zone as well. Even Uatu's narration is reminiscent of Rod Serling's in The Twilight Zone framing the stories like a cautionary tale.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
pretty sure in this timeline T'chaka only ordered the death of N'jobu and didn't directly kill him which is why killmonger is so cordial to him

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
That's the point of the show though. It's a thought experiment to lead to an entirely different outcome and the infinite possibilities each multiverse can have.

Where did they go from there after the found out about Killmonger? Who knows? It doesn't matter. The point of the show it to think about expanding the idea that in infinite universes anything can and does happen.

These are not meant to be episodic shows. They are all self contained because each one is a different multiverse. Everything is canon. Because if you can imagine it, it happened in one of the multiverses.

This is to train people to be more accepting of the crazy shit we're getting ready to see in Phase 4 and beyond. Nothing more.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
The MCU has never used Killmonger well. MBJ has always played him amazingly, but they just cannot help but undercut his point of view with "AND HE IS JUST A VIOLENT MURDERERRR.. ANYWAYS LET'S KILL HIM OFF"

Even the point where he faces the ghost of T'Challa misses the point of the movie - why he returns to his home in Oakland.

Just... gahhhhHHHHHH
Dude's name is Killmonger

Tathanen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Kinda fucked up to think about how we're living in a What If universe, where our black panther died prematurely. I bet they're havin a ball on 616 Earth out there somewhere. 😢

Kor of Memory

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This was the most boring episode to me.

Because it felt like a parallel Black Panther Story line. The most interesting things about this What If are the parts that would have come after the credits. I wanted to see what Killmonger did after takin the throne of Wakanda. I don't want to see a different plan to the one that already technically succeeded in Black Panther.

I'd have rather this whole episode get turned into a montage, and then we get to see what happens when he truly has all that power/army at his disposal.

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Inflammatory and Insensitive Commentary
I have to wonder what would happen if Boseman mentioned his condition to the higher-ups.
Like, this wasn't out of nowhere. He was diagnosed in 2016, the same year he first appeared in Captain America Civil War. Granted, filming was done in 2015, before the diagnosis, but he had a movie lined up in 2018 and roles to play in the Avengers duology.
Though I have to wonder if they didn't expect Black Panther to blow up the way it did.
Still, Boseman knew he was on limited time, and should have mentioned this. Frankly, the fact future movies won't have T'Challa just feels wrong.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
It's impressive how an episode that is so rushed can be so boring. Dr Strange episode aside, this has been such a disappointment

y2dvd

Nov 14, 2017
I am not liking all of these episodes with abrupt endings. The next season if they do one definitely needs a longer run time to be fleshed out.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
These worlds need a conclusion.

I felt like I was watching the birth of Rescue at the end and the show just decided that was enough let's move on.

This show desperately needs clone wars style arcs

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I have to wonder what would happen if Boseman mentioned his condition to the higher-ups.
Like, this wasn't out of nowhere. He was diagnosed in 2016, the same year he first appeared in Captain America Civil War. Granted, filming was done in 2015, before the diagnosis, but he had a movie lined up in 2018 and roles to play in the Avengers duology.
Though I have to wonder if they didn't expect Black Panther to blow up the way it did.
Still, Boseman knew he was on limited time, and should have mentioned this. Frankly, the fact future movies won't have T'Challa just feels wrong.
T'Challa having almost no presence in Infinity War, but being the first out of the portal in Endgame a year later even though it would make more sense for it to have been Sam, to me has always said they didn't know he'd be as big as he was.

Oct 25, 2017
T'Challa having almost no presence in Infinity War, but being the first out of the portal in Endgame a year later even though it would make more sense for it to have been Sam, to me has always said they didn't know he'd be as big as he was.

He was also all over the Infinity War marketing. Front and center on posters. A pretty clear indication that they didn't realize how gargantuan he would be.

Around the time of his death, reports from his family were that he was absolutely confident he was going to beat the cancer until the last few weeks of his life.

Oh man, that's tragic....
Still... probably should have had a contingency plan in place.

TGR Sean

Nov 5, 2017
Orlando, Florida
Btw, there are shots in some of the trailers that do show a continuation to this episode so this one does at least get followed up on.

E_RTP2sXEAEa7-O

E_UNeX4UYAAze5y

Welp, there goes my idea that they were going to use this as set up for Black Panther Wakanda Forever and make that film take place outside the sacred timeline.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I was behind a few episodes but caught up tonight. Zombies is actually one of the better episodes I thought. It's got better pacing and felt most like an actual MCU thing out of any of them.

I didn't care for the Killmonger episode because they never believably explained away Nick Fury. Fury and SHIELD would have intervened and put a stop to Killmonger long before it got to where it did.

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
I love anthology shows, but this ain't it. Captain Carter, Dr. strange (kinda), the zombies ep, and kinda this one were the best. However, all of these except strange went far too far. They shouldve been multi-parters or has their own shows. None of these have any business being in an anthology show, especially with how open needed Carter and Killmonger were. Anthologies tend to be open ended, but Killmonger stretched it way too much. I'd be shocked if we don't get a follow-up to this episode.

loco

Jan 6, 2021
Didn't care for zombies and killmonger episodes. Everything else has been enjoyable though.

Oct 27, 2017
I was behind a few episodes but caught up tonight. Zombies is actually one of the better episodes I thought. It's got better pacing and felt most like an actual MCU thing out of any of them.

I didn't care for the Killmonger episode because they never believably explained away Nick Fury. Fury and SHIELD would have intervened and put a stop to Killmonger long before it got to where it did.
I don't see why Fury would get involved. Killmonger was part of the American armed forces, he was seemingly an ally, there was no reason up front for Nick or SHEILD to even keep tabs on him. Pepper was the only one who caught on to his act and she was skeptical of him from the jump.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I don't see why Fury would get involved. Killmonger was part of the American armed forces, he was seemingly an ally, there was no reason up front for Nick or SHEILD to even keep tabs on him. Pepper was the only one who caught on to his act and she was skeptical of him from the jump.
Nick Fury had his finger on everything in the Phase 1 era.

No way an elite black ops guy trained specifically in coups goes AWOL to save Stark (instead of alerting authorities or even Stark himself, and the also let the other soldiers die first before stepping in) then has access to Vibranium and is also at the center of the deaths of Rhodes, Stark, and the effing prince of Wakanda without him stepping in. Fury had access to Jarvis as well.

It needed a scene where Killmonger was shown interacting with Hydra or the compromised SHIELD agents because that would explain Fury's ignorance of it all.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
Dunno. I was hoping for a 'What if the bad guys win' episode on Killmonger more than anyone else. Still, this is probably the best one yet.

I like the show, but I think it misses the mark with all of them being downer endings so far. A lot of What Ifs ended pretty upbeat, hell sometimes in better places than 616
I remember Rick Jones dying making the Kree-Skrull War infinitely better.

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
Nick Fury had his finger on everything in the Phase 1 era.

No way an elite black ops guy trained specifically in coups goes AWOL to save Stark (instead of alerting authorities or even Stark himself, and the also let the other soldiers die first before stepping in) then has access to Vibranium and is also at the center of the deaths of Rhodes, Stark, and the effing prince of Wakanda without him stepping in. Fury had access to Jarvis as well.

It needed a scene where Killmonger was shown interacting with Hydra or the compromised SHIELD agents because that would explain Fury's ignorance of it all.

In this timeline without Stark becoming Ironman what business would Fury have with him?

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I really don't think they constructed their entire series over whether or not they can use Spider-Man for a single episode (so far).
Perhaps, namely because they probably could've pushed it up to the 42 minute limit if that were the case. I'm just saying that legally speaking, they can't go past that mark without needing to ask Sony first.

That said, we are going to get follow-ups to some of these going by the trailers.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That does make me wonder if Disney could get around that sort of thing by, say, making a series of 22-minute episodes and releasing them two at a time. What's the meaningful difference between 20 two-parters and 10 one-parters? Is that the sort of thing Sony would get litigious over?

RumHam

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 12, 2019
All this talk about why Fury didn't get involved with this assume Fury exists in this particular episode. These aren't all connected.
The whole point of this show is to just enjoy it for what it is cause it can be ANYTHING.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
All this talk about why Fury didn't get involved with this assume Fury exists in this particular episode. These aren't all connected.
The whole point of this show is to just enjoy it for what it is cause it can be ANYTHING.

The whole point of "What If" is they take one thing from the universe we've been following and change it. "What if Fury Didn't Exist" is its own separate thing.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Perhaps, namely because they probably could've pushed it up to the 42 minute limit if that were the case. I'm just saying that legally speaking, they can't go past that mark without needing to ask Sony first.

That said, we are going to get follow-ups to some of these going by the trailers.

Sure, but I don't think they constructed their entire series over whether or not they could use Spider-Man. The show entered production well before Invincible premiered so I don't think the idea of an hour long animated series ever entered anyone's mind as a possibility.

Punchline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sure, but I don't think they constructed their entire series over whether or not they could use Spider-Man. The show entered production well before Invincible premiered so I don't think the idea of an hour long animated series ever entered anyone's mind as a possibility.
even if it did they wouldnt have done it because they would have wanted to use spider-man and the contract they have with sony explicitly says they cant do that.

earnestly none of these have felt rushed enough where i feel like the writers are struggling to make it fit in 30 minutes so i feel like itd just be a slower paced show with even less going on. 30 minutes is fine.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know why people want these episodes to be longer. Often I don't get the idea what you could add without stretching.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
Most of these characters are coming back.
But then the next question will be 'what happened about the next movie villain?' Like seen countless times in this thread.
I just see them as a 'day in the life of' this universe, knowing it will continue but we just watched a single day.
I acknowledge this, but that doesn't save some of the earlier episodes from feeling like unfinished thought.

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, they keep killing off Tony Stark lol.

Man, what an awful timeline that was. Rhodes, dead. Black Panther, dead. Tony Stark, dead. And you got this villain lying his way through everything. "I built the machines to destroy the machines." 4D chess with this guy.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
I'm willing to bet Fury would have something for Killmonger. That's why I think this episode could have gone some distance. As is it's fine though.

Do we know what the next episode is about?