Exellus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I mean, if both sides aren't willing to back down, and both sides thinks they're 100% right and both sides think the shutdown is benefiting themselves, is there anything stopping a shutdown from just........lasting perpetually?

I mean, if no one ends up changing their minds, I'm not aware of any external legal force that can make something happen. We'd just wait until the next set of elections.

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
Riots. Once things like Food Stamps are no longer funded, you will have people taking to the streets.

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017
It won't.

But in some hypothetical situation where it was, guaranteed there would be riots and tons of civil unrest, probably with assassination attempts on the president and members of Congress too.

You can only fuck with people's paychecks and the existence of the government for so long before everything starts breaking down.

Last edited:

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
If by some political disaster it actually lasted that long, the Democrats and Democrat Presidential Candidate could campaign on re-opening the government. Trump can only campaign on promising to keep the shutdown going longer.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This country wouldn't even need to be worrying about the elections at that point. People would be in the streets

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It won't. Hundreds nof thousands of people will quit their jobs. They'll be forced to end the shutdown at one point. People won't be working for free for long. This whole thing is stupid and Trump is playing a childish game.

louisacommie

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I think funding the government and the debt ceiling are tied to eachotber so its possible the united states defaults on its debt

Which means bad shit

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Republicans have already proven they're not as confident or sure of this shutdown as Trump is, so I don't see this lasting too much longer. Best case scenario, the Republicans and the Democrats come together to agree on a mutually beneficial compromise and Trump is left out in the cold complaining of betrayal and walls.

Worst case scenario the Democrats cave because the livelihoods of Americans are more important than political agendas and Trump wins.

Sweeney Swift

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
#IStandWithTaylor
It's going till at least this February.

March is when people really need to start worrying about the state of everything, even beyond what the Brexit stuff will lead to at that time. Debt ceiling comes up here while the shutdown continues? Good luck

Kreed

The Negro Historian
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, if both sides aren't willing to back down, and both sides thinks they're 100% right and both sides think the shutdown is benefiting themselves, is there anything stopping a shutdown from just........lasting perpetually?

Yes, the real people without money. Unpaid government workers aren't going 2 months without a pay check, let alone 2 years.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It won't last til February.

Literally all Dems have to do is wait and be chill. There's absolutely no way the GOP doesn't cave, this is like a game of chicken between a speeding moped and a parked SUV.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
350,000 people in the DC area not receiving paychecks even for two months would end this.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
People are complacent right up until they can no longer get food. That generally leads to violent revolt. The powers that be have a vested interest in avoiding revolution.

Vestal

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa FL
Quote me on this. If a month from now we still have a shutdown the economy will be in the toilet and riots would have already started across the country.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
Our government would collapse and it would happen a helluva lot faster for that to happen than next year.

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
Let's pretend for a second if it could actually go on that long (2 years)...it won't, but let's pretend...

If the country is still standing without funding for the government for 2 years, you'd probably have to wonder if we really needed that much government in the first place. But I don't even understand how that would work. Essential personel wouldn't last 2 years without paychecks. They'd have to quit and find other jobs...so who would do the "essential" work? No one? What is really "essential"?

How much longer do you think TSA will stay on the job without pay for example? As I understand it, many of them are calling out sick in droves.

Honestly, I'm surprised everything isn't on fire right now.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
I don't see it lasting longer than February. If Trump is still being the douche canoe he is, Republicans will probably come to terms with Democrats on their own without Trump.

cirr

Oct 26, 2017
Northern VA
If it goes on through april, we're through as a country. All the bad impending consequences that you've been reading about will compound in March. Food stamps out, federal workers out of work, people losing their homes, local economies and businesses that depend on the federal workforce to keep them busy, etc. And as others have mentioned, Brexit occurring will likely cause a wave effect in the markets over here.

'3y Kingdom

Oct 27, 2017
Republicans will recast it as drowning a useless government in the bathtub, while ignoring the millions of Americans treading water or already gone under.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Recession would hit before 2020 if the shutdown continues, the recession would put pressure on Trump to cave. Either he caves or people riot in the streets.

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017
Trump hates not being the center of attention, and the longer the shutdown goes on the more the media will begin reporting on the consequences of the shut down, and less on the stupid shit Trump said that day.

Oct 28, 2017
On another note anarchy would reign supreme so there's that. Which is actually quite impressive for a government to inflict anarchy upon itself.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
If this shutdown even makes it a month then pressure is going to start mounting on republicans at an accelerated rate

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like the first week of February is the latest it'll go. The Senate will eventually bow to pressure which will make Trump cave or go against his own party. The thing for me is how long will they fund the government until we're right back to this again?

Horns

Dec 7, 2018
Since I'd be out of a job long before then I'd be creating a ruckus with all my free time.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
It's probably going to go on for a very long time for two reasons. The first is that most of the points on the doomsday consequences list are things that the average Republican looks at and cheers for. The second is that Trump knows that if he doesn't deliver a wall to his base, they will stay home in 2020. Straight up, he will 100% lose the election if that wall hasn't started being built.

For Trump, there is no political price for building the wall that is higher than not building the wall.

This will end with either the Dems giving him as least part of what he wants, or with Donald Trump feeling empathy for the people hurt in the government shutdown and voluntarily ending his political career in order to back down and help them.

Which of those two do you think is more likely?

Edit: There is another option, which is things getting so bad that he has his veto overridden, but even that would be a political win for him compared to caving.

thefro

Oct 25, 2017
You'd probably see a general government workers strike in DC well before that which would break the GOP Senators backing Trump. Remember the rest of the government is only funded until about September.

Pasha

Banned
Jan 27, 2018
LMAO dude do you know what will happen to Trump if the shut down lasts a couple of months and people will not receive their tax returns?
Conservatives react when shit actually effects them.

mas8705

Oct 27, 2017
If that were to somehow happen, you bet that Democrats would make it a big talking point of how Trump's wall has "Thrown the country into turmoil!" and how the government should not have been shut down for that long. Of course, who knows if it will go on for that long, but then again, Trump certainly has done a fantastic job getting so many people into politics nowadays, so we'll see...

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
That's not happening. I give it two more weeks tops before Fuck Face-In-Chief realizes no temper tantrum is getting him a damn wall.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it will.

Trump will try to enact an emergency order, knowing it will fail, and end the shutdown as the news moves onto that.

Then he can act like he tried but the mean ol Democrats prevented his plans for a wall.