• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

deathsaber

Nov 2, 2017
No chance it goes that long. Trump acts like he will hold out forever, but this will be wrapped up much sooner rather than later.

The TSA aspect alone will get things moving, since they are increasingly "calling off sick" rather than work without pay like they are currently being asked to do. Our security at the airport will get increasingly suspect as there are fewer and fewer TSA agents showing up to work (and those there will have terrible morale, Jesus I couldn't even imagine being asked to work without pay) That alone is horrific PR for any administration that wants to be tough on security/terrorism.

And when the mainstream media starts mass reporting on the possibilities of income tax refunds being delayed.. lookout. That is an issue that neither side of the aisle, any gender/race, rich/poor will abide.

As a matter of fact its about time they stop focusing on Trump, his wall, and his daily dopey tweets/soundbites, and actually start reporting on the real ramifications of an extended shutdown.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it will. Federal employees have yet to not receive pay yet, which happens tomorrow. Most major programs are protected with automatic funding until at least February, and then the majority of programs that affect large numbers of people (medicaid, medicare, SSI) are automatically funded. If the shutdown continues that long, it will take until programs like SNAP don't receive their February funding before people even wake up that the government is shutdown or know what it means. I genuinely kind of wonder that if you took a general poll of a cross section of the country, how many people actually know that the federal government has been in its longest, largest shutdown since the mid-1990s.

I wouldn't be surprised if Trump declares a national emergency today, the wall is "started" with emergency funding, and congress reopens government on Monday while Trump's emergency declaration is moved through the courts. By the time February rolls around, most people will have forgotten and move onto the new Reality TV Outrage of this administration.

OtherWorldly

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
1/11 - first paycheck missed for federal workers
1/17 - bills for households start to pile up
1/25 - second paycheck missed for federal workers
1/30 - debt collectors start calling for a quarter of a million people
2/7 - quarter of a million families default, are unemployed
2/8 - more than half a million federal workers start looking for jobs raising the feb employment rate to 5%
2/8 protests start in DC
2/8 third paycheck missed
2/15 protests spread to rest of the country
2/22 fourth paycheck missed
2/28 violence and riots start
3/5 food stamps run out, farmers miss a month of subsidies, grocery stories stop getting basic grocery as protest from workers
3/8 fifth paycheck missed
3/10 price of grocery rises 400% . Food rationing starts
3/12 first act of violence against politicians
3/15 exponential 1000% rise of attacks from whites against minorities blaming them for shutdown
3/19 minorities retaliate against white attackers , police involved in multiple mass shootings against minorities
3/21 military called to protect streets of America
3/22 sixth paycheck missed
3/23 hundreds of thousands of workers miss their driving license expiry , 100s arrested by police for still driving
3/29 mass protests across nation as private sector feels the crunch, stocks collapsing for past 2 weeks
4/4 protestors storm house and hold politicians hostage
4/4 martial law declared

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Trump will declare a national emergency before it gets to that point. The economy would collapse.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
2/8 - more than half a million federal workers start looking for jobs raising the feb employment rate to 5%
2/8 protests start in DC
3/5 food stamps run out, farmers miss a month of subsidies, grocery stories stop getting basic grocery as protest from workers
3/15 exponential 1000% rise of attacks from whites against minorities blaming them for shutdown
3/19 minorities retaliate against white attackers , police involved in multiple mass shootings against minorities
3/23 hundreds of thousands of workers miss their driving license expiry , 100s arrested by police for still driving
3/29 mass protests across nation as private sector feels the crunch, stocks collapsing for past 2 weeks
4/4 martial law declared
We won't get to 1/25. Vulnerable Republican Senators will cave before that. We are already seeing cracks.

Jerm

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
Nah

Dey tuk ur jerbs!

Seriously though, a government being able to be shutdown seems questionable at best.

Not passing the US budget yearly would most likely lead to more questionable issues than running into a shutdown. The right combination of people could pass a 2-10 year budget that focused on military exclusively while slashing everything else tremendously, or something could be funded three years out that would no longer be a hot button issue by that point in time. I will say, I don't think it was ever anticipated that someone would use this as a negotiating tactic because it affects the population directly.

Last edited:

bossmonkey

Avenger
Nov 9, 2017
2/8 protests start in DC
4/4 martial law declared

Grocers wouldn't run out of food for a few months. It's January, the only thing in US fields right now is cotton. Produce is coming out of other countries or storehouses. There is a reason why local farmer's markets don't run in winter and it's not because people don't want to open air shop in the cold. You won't really see that impact until local farmers would have started to harvest in late spring/early summer. Also the DMV is a state agency.

Oct 28, 2017
Nah

Not passing the US budget yearly would most likely lead to more questionable issues than running into a shutdown. The right combination of people could pass a 2-10 year budget that focused on military exclusively while slashing everything else tremendously, or something could be funded three years out that would no longer be a hot button issue by that point in time. I will say, I don't think it was ever anticipated that someone would use this as a negotiating tactic because it affects the population directly.

That's fair. thank you for educating me on my view, very much appreciate it!

TinfoilHatsROn

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Someone would exercise their second amendment rights on Congress and Trump long before then my dude. Literal riots on the streets. If you fuck with someone's paycheck it won't matter what kind of brainwashing you've done.

Oct 27, 2017
Grocers wouldn't run out of food for a few months. It's January, the only thing in US fields right now is cotton. Produce is coming out of other countries or storehouses. There is a reason why local farmer's markets don't run in winter and it's not because people don't want to open air shop in the cold. You won't really see that impact until local farmers would have started to harvest in late spring/early summer. Also the DMV is a state agency.
Farmer's Markets operate in Winter. At least they do in California.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
I say hold that talk til March, when people don't get their tax refunds, all hell will break loose.

Rad Bandolar

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal

Farmer's markets run all the time here and as I was driving through the agricultural areas last week, I saw plenty of crops growing. Last I checked, California was still part of the US.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
Someone would exercise their second amendment rights on Congress and Trump long before then my dude. Literal riots on the streets. If you fuck with someone's paycheck it won't matter what kind of brainwashing you've done.

You think the "second amendment" crowd would turn on Trump before blaming Dems, minorities, and literally everyone else outside their bubble despite the clearest possible evidence to the contrary?

Deleted member 2109

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Probably riots in the streets. Trump is fucking with people's lives here. Or maybe everyone will be like "meh" just like all the other times we should have been in the streets.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
It'll be done before February.

He's actually got a motive to end it before Saturday so that #TrumpShutdown isn't the longest one on record.

Ensoul

Oct 27, 2017
I cannot imagine this goes on much longer although it will be interesting to see how the whole build the wall issues gets resolved. Trump won't give in so I assume everyone else will withing the next week or so.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I mean, if both sides aren't willing to back down, and both sides thinks they're 100% right and both sides think the shutdown is benefiting themselves, is there anything stopping a shutdown from just........lasting perpetually?

I mean, if no one ends up changing their minds, I'm not aware of any external legal force that can make something happen. We'd just wait until the next set of elections.

If this lasts another month, expect riots.

bossmonkey

Avenger
Nov 9, 2017
Farmer's Markets operate in Winter. At least they do in California.
Farmer's markets run all the time here and as I was driving through the agricultural areas last week, I saw plenty of crops growing. Last I checked, California was still part of the US.

Fair point, my point still stands though that farmers aren't going to just stop delivering crops though. It's not like they're going to let fruit die on the vine. We won't see shortages until the lack of subsidies keep people from planting.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Republicans would spin it as showing how small government works and how the country doesn't need all those people anyway.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I imagine lots of people will go broke and suicide rates will rise.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
It won't last that long. If somehow trump continues, millions will starve and be homeless. People would riot and storm in DC and remove him from office.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
9e513e79-10fb-4f48-b87e-9ac67d057f0f.jpg

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Last edited:

Atisha

Banned
Nov 28, 2017
Would anyone care to sumarize how this impacts day to day living, and the effects on working class people?

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
Would anyone care to sumarize how this impacts day to day living, and the effects on working class people?

In one way, food isn't being inspected by the FDA, which will lead to outbreaks of food born diseases like salmonella.

You also have federal employees who won't get paid.

There's a whole laundry list of things that the federal government does that doesn't get thrown into the spotlight.

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Civil War 2. America Splits into red and blue for ever, Red America becomes a third world nation.

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
Impossible, the country would implode, enough Republicans would flip to override Trump's veto before that happens.

They are still getting their full paychecks and getting funded from lobbyists while this is going on. They have nothing to worry about. If Mitch says that the bill is just for show from the House, I think he's fully comfortable with the country going to complete shit because he knows he's still getting paid.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
The GOP will be eviscerated. The wall is unpopular, period. And that's not changing. Once Dems regain control of Congress and the Presidency, the country may well function again.

Koo

Dec 10, 2017
Considering Trump keeps mentioning how 'they' want him to take meetings with democrats and 'they' want him to visit the border signals that whoever 'they' are, they still believe they can shift the narrative and hope the electorate blames the democrats more than GOP/Trump. Trump however has repeatedly put his foot in his mouth so this is an uphill climb which may be nearing its end due to exhaustion.

They aren't going to be seeing the numbers they want on this issue. Self-preservation should kick in for the GOP and they will warn Trump behind closed doors to end the shutdown or they will on their own. They are craven monsters but they aren't stupid. They will gift wrap and lay this egg on Trump's doorstep if he refuses to see the writing on the wall/fence.

Dernhelm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If nothing else, if it manages to go on for the entire year, at that stage any semblance of relevance the US government actually has over it's country will have been proven to be gone.