Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
People play games together? Thats some real fucking news to me .

Flon

Is Here to Kill Chaos
Oct 27, 2017
Also from everything you've seen about Borderlands 3's marketing, what makes you think they are capable of something this understated?

Yeah, I'd expect something closer to empty accounts posting change.org petitions to change September 13th to The Official Borderlands 3 Day.

daedalius

Oct 27, 2017
Man I'd love a setup like that for me and my wife, we can't wait to dig into BL3. Currently one of us is upstairs and the other is in the office.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
A fort lol. 🌽🌽🌽🌽🌽

Doesn't come across as advertising though. At least no more than a ton of threads here, like people have mentioned. People changing their avatars and betting on review scores and etc. is more obsessive than playing something with your partner.

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
People have fond memories of bonding over a popular co-op game and want to play the new one. These same people post to Reddit which is notorious for carefully crafted posts, complete with twee titles, for the purpose of getting Karma. Not really seeing the bombshell here

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I... I think these are ad's too. Not the first, not the last time it's going to happen on there either.

fracas

Oct 27, 2017
Those don't look that bad, especially compared to some of the stuff I see on ERA. We have threads straight up dedicated to how hyped people are about certain games.

MajesticSoup

Banned
Feb 22, 2019
Ding ding ding.

Every "Resetera, dont sleep on X" or "X launch tomorrow, hype?" thread sound like a ad in disguise.
That 'Is hollow knight overhyped?' thread especially.
You win team cherry we'll keep talking about your 2 year old game.

2 months from now
'LTTP: Hollowknight is overrated' 20 pg thread to keep hollowknight relevant and act as free advertising.

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Don't see the problem honestly. Couples enjoying a shared hobby? how dare they?... what

catboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it's fucking weird. My wife and I couldn't give a zebra's elbow about Borderlands 3. We're clearing our entire schedule for Disney+ and its competitive slate of family friendly entertainment products. Stay tuned for more information about Disney's new streaming service Disney+, debuting Fall 2019. (Founders Circle available for D23 members. Save $23 a year for three (3) years (US only))
Lol

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Don't know about you but I always build forts out of sheets and dryers when I want to play Tekken with my gf.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
For everyone saying this is viral marketing, keep in mind this is reddit. It's way more likely to be people just fishing for karma or whatever.

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Plot twist, OP's thread is an ad in disguise, relying on all those Borderlands 3 'controversy' hate clicks.

Deleted member 18857

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ding ding ding.

Every "Resetera, dont sleep on X" or "X launch tomorrow, hype?" thread sound like a ad in disguise.
Especially the "I can't wait to play that game on [hardware]!", or "I'll play it on [hardware]" when the game is released on all consoles on the same day.
I still don't know whether it's astroturfing or pure brand cult.

pokeystaples

Oct 27, 2017
Me and my gf did similar stuff on launch night, we jsut don't post that stuff.

It's not marketing, it's just people's dire need to show off that they're doing a cute thing together. It's cuter if nobody knows, punk kids.

LIVE IN THE MOMENT
I was pretty proud of our little couch setup this weekend. Had some pretty ill snacks too. Definitely did not post pics though.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Gotta love the comments.

If this thread were a couple showing off their Switches and a bunch of snacks to play Animal Crossing, nobody would have a problem.

Anybody saying they're astroturfing would get the No Fun Allowed jpeg, or called toxic.

Zeta Ori

Oct 25, 2017
NY
Borderlands is a game series that appeals to couples. I don't think it's deeper than that. If i had a proper two person set up, id take a picture as well (Idk about posting it anywhere though). It's kinda cute in a geeky way, which shouldn't be an issue on a video game forum of all places.

-PXG-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
Couples play games together. Nothing new or shocking.

But yeah...some of these setups are sus as fuck. They're a little too nice, clean and shall I say, high end, to be from your average nerd on the internet.

I like to think my gaming area is pretty nice, but some I've seen are just far too picture perfect. Then again, I've seen some ridiculously pristine and over the top gaming rooms on GAF and ERA over the years.

Some of you have too much money or in debt to your fucking eyeballs, lol

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
I play a lot of games with my SO, and she's a prodigy at shooters. So i don't find this weird at all.

garion333

Oct 27, 2017
Plot twist, OP's thread is an ad in disguise, relying on all those Borderlands 3 'controversy' hate clicks.

wntgd.jpg

(I agree.)

someday

Oct 25, 2017
Some of you assuming it's astroturfing just because it "abnormal" are assuming a whole lot. I guarantee you if we had the room in our house my wife and I would have a similar setup with 2 TVs and 2 PS4s and maybe even both of our PCs for playing stuff co-op. It would be better than being in different rooms while we play Destiny. Hell, I've been to my manager's house and she and her husband have a room that is dedicated to just this that has a side by side setup they call the command center.

I'd never post a picture on reddit but my family's home has 3 large TVs set up in the family room for stuff like this. Two are set up for gaming and the third is for watching TV. I'm sure it looks weird to some but it works perfectly for our family.

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
For everyone saying this is viral marketing, keep in mind this is reddit. It's way more likely to be people just fishing for karma or whatever.
Yep, specifically r/gaming. These couple setup posts are pretty common on there, I've seen them for single player games as well.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
I see this in every gaming subreddit and I find it adorable. It's awesome to see a couple enjoy a hobby together.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
I love how the OP sees a couple planning to play a video game together and their initial response is "this has to be fake".

SomaXD

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, i bought 2 ps2s originally to play FFXI with my (girlfriend-now-wife) then 2 ps3s for borderlands 1 (and 2)

I dont have 2 ps4s this time, but im silently hoping for a cross-play update someday. Then we can get some xb1/ps4 time...

QSLWO2R.jpg

stan_marsh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
maybe couples play games together? lol

My gf and I sit next to each other with our Switches, not so different than the pics in the OP.

JustinBB7

Nov 16, 2017
I saw a friend of mine on facebook post the same thing that she's playing it with her boyfriend on 2 TV's. It's not ads it's real.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't be surprised if some of these posts are ads but all in all I like to think that the majority of these posts are genuine and it makes me really happy to see people enjoying their time together :) Well and I'm salty because due to a crappy heater placement at the moment I can't have a desk setup that's nearly as nice :(

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
Friend of a friend had Gearbox make a wedding proposal video for him and his girlfriend at the time. They're not together anymore.

Needless to say there are people who go that hardcore into it, but I dunno about the posts here. Some people sound like corporate mouthpieces when they aren't, and some people don't when they are.

Ding ding ding.

I get that perspective.

It sucks because if it were me I'd be making the post because I want to remind people of a cool game coming out, and very often the pages of those posts are littered with "I didn't know this was coming out" or "I had no idea this game existed" so it's hard to tell.

Genuine passion or corporate ad? The world may never know.

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
Ah yes, a treatise on astroturfing from the forum that brought you "When did you believe in _______"

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
Glad I'm not the only one.
I think this is just a symptom of era not having pre release OTs for games, to be honest. You get about a billion "WHOS HYPED" threads instead of everybody just piling into a general catchall one. I don't think it's advertising, I think the forum would just be a lot cleaner if general discussion like that was kept to a pre release OT and major news/preview drops get their own threads too.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Just seems like gamer couples wanting to show that they're doing stuff together, the same way everyone likes to show the world what they're doing at any given moment on social media. I mean, it's pretty rare to see couples (especially hetero couples) both equally as into gaming as each other. If they've found a game they both enjoy that they play together that's a good thing!

My boyfriend and I are both gamers, so it's nothing particualrly surprising for us, but we still set time aside with snacks and stuff to play releases we both REALLY enjoy together. Divinity being one of them. Borderlands being another. That's not me being a corporate shill. That's just the reality of our gaming habits. But apparently we can't admit to such things because....corporate. lol.

wossname

Dec 12, 2017
Reddit's whole raise d'etre is recycling content until the joke/concept has been completely run into the ground so it's not surprising that so many people have jumped on the bandwagon

Barnak

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Me and my girlfriend both bought BL3 on PC before launch because it's the perfect coop franchise and we both have our computers next to each other like some of the screenshots posted above.

But hey, if that somehow make us look like corporate stooges.... ok?