• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What is Obsidian Entertainment's best written game?

• Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords

Votes: 131 12.7%
  • Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer

Votes: 81 7.8%
  • Alpha Protocol

Votes: 78 7.6%
  • Fallout: New Vegas

Votes: 345 33.4%
  • Pillars of Eternity

Votes: 42 4.1%
  • Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire

Votes: 60 5.8%
  • Pentiment

Votes: 296 28.7%

• Total voters

Slatsunus

Nov 2, 2017
Its what there known for, its what there respected for, and with several massive rpgs of different vains having either just come out or are coming out soon, with there two big projects still cooking, I was curious which of there works where the best written.

Note, since they only allow seven options in a poll I tried my best to narrow it down as best I could, so I obviously had to leave off games.

NWN2 vanilla because nobody remembers NWN2 for the base campaign, Dungeon Spear 3 beacuse nobody remembers that game at all. Stick of Truth because according to Eric Fenstermaker, he was only lead writer by Technicality, and Matt Stone was really behind more or less all the important writing. The Outer Worlds is more or less universally agreed to have a massive noticeable drop off in writing quality across the board in a way none of there other games do. And Grounded has fun writing, but is very far from the focus on the game.

The only hard choice was picking between Deadfire and Tyranny, I went with DF because Tyranny had neat ideas but ended up not having any staying power at all, not even in a cult classic was like Alpha Protocol, and the game ends up being more about its neat ideas then the actual execution of them with the writing.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
In terms of writing, it's easily MotB.

For thematic elements, FONV is up there, but it's weighed down by being in the silly Fallout world.

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
Considering how much the story can change and where can go with it, and also for entertainment value, I voted Alpha Protocol.

OP
OP

Slatsunus

Nov 2, 2017
In terms of writing, it's easily MotB.

For thematic elements, FONV is up there, but it's weighed down by being in the silly Fallout world.
George Ziets only other major time as a creative lead being on Dungeon Spear 3 is such a shame.

He has writing credits for NV, and Sawyer mentioned that he came up with alot of the lore for the Gods in Pillars, but he never did anything as cool as Mask after.

He actually wrote a post years ago about Mask's development and writing, funny enough he had a ton of time to work on the story and it both shows, and heavily contrasts just how much Obsidian needed to compromise on Koto2, FNV, Pillars1 etc

https://www.tumblr.com/gziets/169157970313/a-retrospective-on-the-mask

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I love Pillars 2, New Vegas, and KotOR 2... But I have to go with Pentiment. The writing is what makes that game work. It's a game that had me thinking about it for days even after I finished it.

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
The majority of people on this forum probably only played New Vegas, so the poll results are going to be heavily influenced by that.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
New Vegas has outstanding contributions from Josh Sawyer, John Gonzales, Eric Fenstermaker and Chris Avellone. I think overall it takes the cake.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
If the writing wasn't a complete home run in Pentiment, the entire game would fall apart.

The game is a knockout, and the writing is amazing in it.

Stimpack

Oct 27, 2017
Fallout 1 and 2, and planescape: torment were really the only games with writing I found interesting.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
I'm hardly precious about Fallout's world building but calling it silly in the same breath as praising Forgotten Realms is a hell of a thing.

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
Pentiment is really, really good at this, and given that writing is practically all the game is, I have to give it this win.

Zeliard

Jun 21, 2019
I think it's KOTOR 2, I love the deconstruction of the Star Wars mythos. And yeah that's all now seen as uncool especially after Last Jedi (unfairly) but the Kreia character is just so fully-formed and just so vibrant and dangerous throughout, she might be my favorite video game character since then.

OP
OP

Slatsunus

Nov 2, 2017
I'm hardly precious about Fallout's world building but calling it silly in the same breath as praising Forgotten Realms is a hell of a thing.
Most games on this list would qualify for having plenty of silly. Kotor 2 is obviously in SW, lol. Alpha Protocol is probably more camp then any Fallout, and yes as you mention, Forgotten Realms is goofball shit everywhere, the creator has a Mary Sue self insernt Gandolf ripoff who fucks hot Goddesses all the time.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Pentiment imo. Writing is the backbone of it so yeah. I don't think any of them are bad really though

OP
OP

Slatsunus

Nov 2, 2017
Most people haven't played MotB and the poll shows that more than anything.
It's so sad, but I get it, an expansion to a very pedestrian game

Seriously, Outside of how bad Outer Worlds gets, NWN2 Vanilla might be Obsidians worse written game. Its a story so by the numbers its astounding it came from them. It makes Bioware's writing look like Planescape

Rahkeesh

Jun 20, 2022
It's so sad, but I get it, an expansion to a very pedestrian game

Seriously, Outside of how bad Outer Worlds gets, NWN2 Vanilla might be Obsidians worse written game. Its a story so by the numbers its astounding it came from them. It makes Bioware's writing look like Planescape

"Rocks fall, everyone dies" is kind of the chef's kiss to end such a medicore product.

That said, I still thought it compared rather favorably with NWN1 Vanilla's pastiche campaign.

Spoit

Oct 28, 2017
"Rocks fall, everyone dies" is kind of the chef's kiss to end such a medicore product.

That said, I still thought it compared rather favorably with NWN1 Vanilla's pastiche campaign.
Yeah, as mediocre as it is, it's kotor 2 compared to NWN1's kotor 1. I thought the court bit was neat at least

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
The Outer Worlds didn't have bad writing at all, but I voted for Pentiment. Hard to choose between that and New Vegas, though.

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017
It's 1000% Pentiment. Truly a fantastic experience. I loved every minute with those characters and that setting.

Zeliard

Jun 21, 2019
The Pillars games both being dead last is fairly surprising, but I can see why

Well popularity is obviously going to be the big factor here; some of these games get a lot more play than others. Pentiment is at least on Game Pass which gets it a wider audience.

I think there's also sense that the Pillars games, while strong, are maybe a bit more vanilla than the others. Mask of the Betrayer is arguably the real snub, if you want to call it that.

Tommy Showbiz

Jul 20, 2022
Mask of the Betrayer and it's not close.

It's criminal that game is not spoken of in the same breath that Planescape Torment is.

Jhey Cyphre

Oct 25, 2017
A couple of weeks ago I would have said KOTOR and FNV easily...

PoE2 is just so damn good though. Like, everything single character exchange is just endlessly fascinating. They did a fantastic job of setting everything up in the first game, but sequel just takes it to another level. It's been a long time since I've been this engrossed in a setting like this.

OP
OP

Slatsunus

Nov 2, 2017
Thank you. It's a flawed game but not in the writing department.

The Outer Worlds didn't have bad writing at all, but I voted for Pentiment. Hard to choose between that and New Vegas, though.

The game devolves immediately into the most Black and White no nuance writing ever the second your done with the first area.

The ending has all the "good guys" just show up to help you at the end with zero foreshadowing and no explanation how they even know each other or the help you need.

Its all hacky as fuck.

They sold it as subversive, its as bog standard as they come. I would actually argue its the most disappointedly written
thing they have ever done. The other games they made didnt lean as hard on being "The original Fallout Devs" and then put out a story that debatably couldnt even match Fallout 3, let alone New Vegas

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
Thank you. It's a flawed game but not in the writing department.
The writing in the Outer Worlds is very white-and-black and in your face, with little subtlety or depth. The corporations are bad, the Board is cartoonishly bad, and there's no real incentive to side with it unless you want to play an evil character just for the laugh of it. It's easily the worst written Obsidian game.

TripleBee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Vancouver
I can't compare them really - but for when I played it I think nwn2:motb or kotor2 stick out the most to me.

But honestly all their stuff is really good.

I wish nwn2 got a remaster.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
You guys are making me want to try NVWN2.

From this list I've only played (and loved) KOTOR2. I also really enjoyed Tyranny.

OP
OP

Slatsunus

Nov 2, 2017
Well popularity is obviously going to be the big factor here; some of these games get a lot more play than others. Pentiment is at least on Game Pass which gets it a wider audience.

I think there's also sense that the Pillars games, while strong, are maybe a bit more vanilla than the others. Mask of the Betrayer is arguably the real snub, if you want to call it that.
Both Pillar's games have higher steam peaks then Outer Worlds, lmao.

But like I said, I know why there losing.

Josh Sawyer himself has talked about how the Pillars games are the most compromised projects he has ever worked on, and in some ways it really shows.

POE was a desperate gambit to save the company, it worked but its origins are obvious in the writing, the first time they had to build a brand new IP from scratch, off the back of a desperate kickstarter? There is so much work to do there.

So POE is absolutely loaded with exposition and lore dumps, much of which is not handled very elegantly because again, they had to shove out a whole brand new world that harkened back to Baldur's Gate. They did there best, and the end product is a competent story, but the seams are everywhere. Durance and Grieveing Mother are among Obsidians best characters though.

Deadfire is better in alot of way, but still has a similar but less intense lore dump issue, and a really anti climatic final boss.

Anoxida

Oct 30, 2017
Pillars being low doesn't surprise me. I think a fair few people here have played them but the 1st game's writing is just too exposition heavy, we're still trying to play a game and not a book. And honestly the exposition itself isn't too interesting either. The second game is way more streamlined in it's writing, it's decently interesting but nothing spectacular in terms of writing.