• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Oreoleo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I really hate how Jabba's Palace stuff doesn't influence the rest of the movie at all. It's a good sequence, but it's 45 minutes until the actual movie starts, and makes the rest look kind of bad in comparison.

It always felt really disjointed. Like the Tat segment never flowed into the sneak segment never flowed into the battle into the end.

Disjointed is a great way to describe it. One of my biggest pet peeves is how Luke goes straight from talking to Leia to being in the Empires custody. Like there's a scene or two (or just a transition) missing to bridge those two events.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
I really hate how Jabba's Palace stuff doesn't influence the rest of the movie at all. It's a good sequence, but it's 45 minutes until the actual movie start.
It's pretty much the conclusion to the cliffhanger of the second movie, so it makes sense. It also shows how Luke advanced in his Jedi training, so I don't think the actual movie starts after that scene.

GungHo

Nov 27, 2017
1004407_574143255970613_355802133_n.jpg
I think the Emperor of the Galaxy hanging around in an unimproved basement is a bit of a tall ask. They at least need to give him something to watch Spaceflix on.

Tomasoares

Oct 28, 2017
I've heard some hot takes in my day, but calling the space battle boring is pretty high at the top of the list.

Still my favorite film, and the best fleet battle in cinematic history.

It is boring. It's basically, "if my friends disable the shield = win, if not = lose". There's no smaller conflicts or stakes, like the Rogue One battle or ANH one (one of my favorites)

DGenerator

Oct 26, 2017
Toronto, ON, Canada
Yeah, technologically disadvantaged indigenous people could never defeat a vastly more advanced military force with guerrilla tactics and a home field advantage. On a side note, neither the Vietnam nor Afghanistan wars ever happened.

I forgot that bows, arrows, rocks, and wood logs versus interstellar flight, energy weapons, mechanized amphibious tank-like vehicles, and lightspeed-capable transport is the same as the level of advantage the US had in Vietnam and Afghanistan per their respective time periods.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
Endor is a huge dud, Luke/Leia twist does nothing to add to the film, Han becomes a caricature. It is saved by an amazing space fight and a powerfully compelling storyline on the Death Star II.

Deleted member 31923

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
It was perfectly setup to be amazing by ESB and failed in almost every way:

- Han Solo rescue dragged out forever and the plan for everyone to split up was really dumb
- Bobba Fett's death was dumb and they really wasted the character in general
- the witty dialogue from ESB is gone, it's not prequel bad, but it's certainly nothing special
- tired recycled plot points...see Death Star II
- Luke meeting Yoda again seemed kind of pointless besides him delivering some exposition and dying; contrast it to Yoda's amazing scenes in ESB
- phoned in poor acting from Ford or Fischer, Hamill did great and of course Ian stole the show
- romance scenes between Ford and Fisher were boring, all the wit and fun of their romance from ESB was gone
- Ewoks...Wookies cut in half to sell toys
- the dark tone of ESB was gone and the movie is more kiddy friendly...see Ewoks
- the scenes on Endor dragged on and were kind of dumb. Our gang fell right into a trap and were rescued by teddy bears

That said, everything to do with Darth Vader and Luke in the throne room was amazing. If the whole film lived up to those scenes, it would rival ESB. I also thought the space battles of Lando and crew were pretty great, although recycled a bit with Death Star II.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
With the Ewoks it just felt like this whole new thing comes out of nowhere and saves the day, it hadn't been built up in the other movies at all.

Deleted member 31923

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Another thing is that TROS makes Anakin's sacrifice and the whole movie seem pointless. That's not the fault of ROTJ, but it's a problem that now exists in canon. It's a shame because while flawed, ROTJ should exist, TROS should not.