LexiStarrDust

Mar 31, 2019
s-l300.jpg

I thought this was one of the most unfun games I had ever played. My dad rented it for me and I could barely stomach to play it.

Oct 27, 2017
Sega Touring Car Championship on the Saturn. I was really looking forward to it, spent a chunk of money at a time when I didn't have any and it was shite. Barely any content and the frame rate was just abysmal.

SegaTouringCarBox.jpg

Fairly soon after this I bought a Playstation and discovered Gran Turismo, Toca Touring Cars, Colin McRae rally etc etc and was happy again.

Xelan

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure there are worse games I've played but the one that jumped out at me from the thread title was Split/Second, that game was so blatent with its abuse of rubberband ai that I just gave up at some point and traded it in.

nikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
It's one of my favorite genres, so I've played A LOT of racing games all over the spectrum. It's undoubtedly Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
Test Drive 6 on the Dreamcast

For a game that had Gary fucking Newman in the intro, it sure was a total piece of shit

Test_Drive_6_Gameplay2-3.jpg

On the same console which this existed
6b4db4d8-c052-4b19-880e-4c4921c2630e.jpg

Metropolis Street Racer

danmaku

Nov 5, 2017
Megarace was great compared to other racers when it came out.

Not at all, in 1993 we already had simulators like Formula One Grand Prix and Indycar Racing, and even arcade games like Micromachines that played a million times better than Megarace. Megarace was lauded for its amazing graphics but also got a ton of criticism for shallow and awkward gameplay.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
header.jpg

Was so mad at this attempt that effectively killed the franchise. Surprised but not surprised it hasn't come up in the thread. The game bombed so hard and was forgotten about so quick. Took me 15 minutes to think of it.

Tried to make a Burnout clone with Ridge Racer in the title. Took all the style, uniqueness, and fun out, inserted half baked "destruction" for coolness. Turned it into one of the blandest most generic games of that gen. They even went free to play with it and no one wanted it. They did the same with Ace Combat Assault Horizon killing that franchise til last year. Hopefully RR get's another revival with the same thought process of "let's do what we are good at and what people want" over "lets make a game that appeals to western audiences, EXPLOSIONS AND BLOOM EFFECTS!"

MoonlitBow

Oct 25, 2017
Pokemon Dash by a veeeeeeeeeeeeeeery long way. It was one of the two games I got with my DS back in 2005 and it was the worst DS game I ever played, and one of the worst games ever made.
Honestly yeah, it's hard to think of worse that I've played because Pokemon Dash fundamentally fails as a racing game (not as much as Big Rigs, which doesn't even have a working opponent, but I've actually played Pokemon Dash and this thread is about games that have been played).

To go into more detail, the game's controls are to just keep scratching the screen in the direction you want PIkachu to move, and there is very little stored momentum- Pikachu will immediately slow to a stop if you stop scratching the screen, so you have very direct control meaning that the controls don't contribute any challenge on their own. The game also doesn't feature any secondary forms of movement such as jumping so the only times you would ever interact with parts of the course that will slow your movement is if it is mandatory to do so, which it often is because the game will usually give you a power up that negates the slow down effects of terrain like grass or sand beforehand. Also, the screen is very zoomed in so you are given an objective arrow to always follow so it feels very much like you're being told to go- it's weirdly a game with very open mini-worlds where you're required to follow the objective markers with no side quests to do instead.

Eventually the game introduces flying in balloons which make the game even more about just going to the next objective. Sometimes you do need to land a bit far from the objective point but for the most part Pokemon Dash is a game where a lot of its course design feels made very meaningless and going from one objective to the next is almost always a direct path.

Finally, there are only a handful of Pokemon in the game and you only get to play as one of them which is of course Pikachu, and IIRC there wasn't anything you could unlock, so even if you did enjoy the game (I personally didn't hate it that much despite how this post might sound) there is very little that offers replay value and a reason to go back to the game after you've completed it.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
I have played Sonic R. It's...bad. But honestly the music is so good I kind of like it?

I feel like the Flatout series was pretty dang bad. But there were some wonderful mini games that played with the psychics .

Honestly, the answer is probably some long forgotten GameBoy or GameGear game. They tried to make racing work on those handhelds...it didnt

Flatout 1 & 2 are straight good. Every sequel since has been terrible.

But yeah, since I tend to try every racing game I can, the real answer is probably some gameboy game I tried at some point in time and forgot immediately. Like GB Waverace.

GBA racing games are pretty awesome, though, I wish the SNES had many more mode 7 racing games.

Nov 8, 2017
VR Karts.

It feels like the developers set out to create the blandest possible Mario Kart rip-off ever, right down to its generic name. Its only redeeming factor - being in VR - does not do anything to save it.

Sonic R is better than VR Karts; at least Sonic R has cool music and feels like the developers were trying to accomplish something original.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
I've hated almost every entry to the Need for Speed series after Porsche Unleashed. How they went from "arcade with a hint of realism" to "never have to touch the brake pedal" I don't know. I guess being able to pimp your ride was more important than gameplay.

Jay_AD

Oct 28, 2017
Grand Prix Circuit.

It's a 1988 F1 game by Distinctive Software. It wasn't actually all that bad at the time, it was just a tad before folks really started to figure out racing sims. (Indianapolis 500 was a year later.) This is more like Test Drive 2 on F1 circuits. Biggest indictment is probably how you can just barrel full speed through the chicanes on Monza no problem lol

I can easily go back to Indy 500 or F1 Grand Prix, but there is just not much to this one.

Raysoul

Fat4All Ruined My Rug
Oct 26, 2017
This game

Joyride.png

Imagine you have a steering wheel in front of you. Yes, that is your steering wheel.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Arizona Derby.

store.steampowered.com

Save 90% on Arizona Derby on Steam

Hit the pedal, run out the offroad.

FlatOut 1 is ok, but the second one is great.
Oh, yeah, probably that one for me as well. The actual racing in Arizona Derby is quite horrible.
But it was certainly still worth the €1.47 I paid for it. You've got to appreciate the presentation and ambition.

Last edited:

Azerach

Oct 29, 2017
Of the current "sim" racing games I would say Project Cars 2. Everything about the handling has been turned to 11 and hollywooded up. Like they thought racing needs to be extreme or it's not "sim" enough.

G_O

Oct 28, 2017
There was a cart racer on SNES called Streetracer which was an awful Mario Kart clone with terrible characters that probably took them about 5 mins to create

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Batman Arkham Knight.
Holy crap the batmobile was the most overhyped underperforming feature thrust into a series in awhile.

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
Not at all, in 1993 we already had simulators like Formula One Grand Prix and Indycar Racing, and even arcade games like Micromachines that played a million times better than Megarace. Megarace was lauded for its amazing graphics but also got a ton of criticism for shallow and awkward gameplay.
Well, I never said it was the best racing game of 1993, but the vast majority of racing games weren't F1 or Indycar. Even with it's issues, it was still great compared to 90% of other racers available at the time.

Deleted member 21996

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This gen has to be The Crew 2

The worst? Maybe The Crew 2 Beta if that counts? It's absolutely baffling that Ubisoft put out a game that handles so poorly.

Beta left a bad impression on me too. Unconvincing handling model was one thing, but I found the lifeless world terminally dull to explore.

Worst is probably some top down thing on a spectrum...

Was thinking just this about BMX racers on C64. A repeating track looped over and over only with faster and faster scrolling until it became impossible. Was a budget Mastertronic title though so I'll give it a bit of latitude.

bmx-racers_4.png

s-l300.jpg

I thought this was one of the most unfun games I had ever played. My dad rented it for me and I could barely stomach to play it.

I enjoyed this until I discovered it was quicker to scrape off walls than bother steering around corners. Cardinal sin for any racer in my book.

There have been so many disappointing conversions of arcade racers, but rarely a duff arcade racer itself. I make an exception for GTI club though. The streets of the cote d'azur sure looked the part, but once you got the steering wheel in your hands it was a twitchy mess that looked plain weird in motion.

lQXQE7fiTZ.gif

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
You can play this pile of fucking shit on PS Now. Thought it would be at least fun to laugh at. My trophy list is forever stained.

220px-Jimmie_Johnson%27s_Anything_with_an_Engine.png

Auto Modellista.
I was so excited for this game and it sucked so much...

What makes it worse is that it has an awesome name and beautiful art style. Wonder if Capcom would ever try their hand at racing again (unless I'm missing something).