neilyadig

Nov 13, 2017
I don't know what's the "best" but I'm absolutely loving the dpad on my 8bitdo pro 2.

yx2DFtI.jpg

it's just so precise and doesn't have too much resistance and it's a joy to use playing Dead Cells and such on my switch. Better than the Switch Pro controller IMO.
This - I find myself picking this up more than the Pro controller now.

Sdconvoy

Jan 4, 2019
This is a recent development, but I grabbed one of these for cheap:

versuspad1.jpg

And I really like the clickity clack of the directional... Pa- erm... Stick? On this guy. Who knows how long it will last, as it is made by PDP and it's obviously older, but fresh out of the new old stock box and after using some iso to clean the grippy back that turned into an adhesive, it feels really good/fun to play with.

It's mido

One Winged Slayer
Jan 23, 2018
I own multiple flavours of the 8Bitdo SN30 Pro/+ and I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong but that dpad has never worked well for me. Sonic boom inputs constantly get phantom up or down inputs and it's relegated them to being used only for 3d games. I'm still interested in the M30 because the d-pad looks really solid but I'm a little weary of 8Bitdo dpads at this point. Can anyone vouch for the M30 over the SN30s?

versuspad1.jpg

And I really like the clickity clack of the directional... Pa- erm... Stick? On this guy. Who knows how long it will last, as it is made by PDP and it's obviously older, but fresh out of the new old stock box and after using some iso to clean the grippy back that turned into an adhesive, it feels really good/fun to play with.
I have the PS3 version of this and I can say that it's a great little pad for 6-button games. The buttons are microswitches too and I love it.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Sega Saturn. Bar none, hands down.

Still have 3 saturn controllers I use for fighters.

pepone1234

Feb 19, 2018
The wii U gamepad's dpad.

I have seen many of you like the series X dpad. For me is one of the worst I've had. Absurdly clicky, strange form factor and too stiff for some movements

Slick Butter

Oct 25, 2017

versuspad1.jpg

Oh shit so this has a NEOGEO style digital stick? I need one

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The GameCube pad would be my favourite, just beating the Xbox Elite controller

Voyevoda

Nov 1, 2017
Paris, France
av5oomq_460s.jpg

The GOAT. I love the Switch and the Vita for similar reasons, but their D-pads are night and day.

I'll buy a 2D game on Vita if I get the chance just for that Dpad (and OLED screen); and I'll be reluctant to buy one on Switch just because of these 4-"D-pad"-buttons.

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It depends on what you are playing.

If you're looking for an all-rounder D-Pad with great feel and precision that is comfortable for extended hours and very usable with many different types of games, it's hard to beat Saturn's or Genesis D-Pads for controllers.

The Vita D-Pad is one of the best D-Pads ever made with extremely clicky and responsive input but the console itself is not a controller so it's hard to recommend for most people.

For arcade beat-em-ups or fighting games, I really enjoy the feel of Neo Geo Controllers, they have a harsh but satisfying clicky response that is quite addictive and enjoyable.

For most 2D platformers/action, I personally prefer a classic + sign controller. The most accessible and overall useful one of modern controllers is the Xbox One D-Pad. It's clicky and comfortable enough, though it's off-axis position may be uncomfortable to use exclusively for a long period of time.

With that in mind, I'd recommend checking out 8bitdo Pro 2's controller because it has a familiar shape based on the Snes controller and the Dualshock, nice input and compatibility with a wide range of consoles and of course PC.

TLDR; Saturn/Genesis (Overall best), Vita (Honorable mention), Neo Geo Controller (Beat-em-ups/fighting-games), 8bitdo Pro Controller 2 (2D platformers/Action Games)

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
My vote would be the Vita D-pad. It's just so easy to roll your thumb from one direction to another.

The DS Lite and Wii also have great ones too.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017

versuspad1.jpg

I have one of these and loved it for shmups, but I hear the durability isn't good enough for fighters.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Of the controllers I've used recently, The DS4 and the 8-bitdo sn30 Pro Plus are wonderful. I can still force some incorrect diagonals on the sn30 if I try, though it's nothing nearly as bad as the Nintendo controllers that came with the mini classic systems.

phanboy4

Oct 27, 2017
Nostalgia aside, the Saturn D-Pad is categorically the best one, and the 8BitDo controllers that mimic it properly are also good.

Nintendo controllers do not have good D-pads and never did - nobody realized this back in the day because there weren't many games that were heavily dependent on good D-Pads (fighting games, shmups) on Nintendo consoles back then.

Trying to play SF Alpha or MvC or any modern shmup with a Nintendo cross pad is an exercise in pain - The Saturn pad and its descendants don't have that shortcoming and are very nice for those.

(Clicky stick Neo Geo fans - I see you and respect you and your answer is probably actually the correct one)

Dealer A

Jan 13, 2018
Nintendo controllers do not have good D-pads and never did - nobody realized this back in the day because there weren't many games that were heavily dependent on good D-Pads (fighting games, shmups) on Nintendo consoles back then.

Wasn't every game heavily dependent on good d-pads for the NES/SNES since there was not other way to control direction on those consoles?

phanboy4

Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't every game heavily dependent on good d-pads for the NES/SNES since there was not other way to control direction on those consoles?

Fighting game/shmup motions and Super Mario motions are not the same thing at all in terms of complexity, frequency, and reliability needs. Nothing tests a D-Pad like those genres.

Which is why you see a big split on this question between people who use dpads for the former, and people who used dpads for the latter and don't see a problem with Nintendo pads.

Nintendo pads were fine for games that existed on Nintendo consoles at the time (platformers with simplistic input mechanics and JRPGs) - and today they're still fine as a lightly-used secondary input for controllers with sticks - but as a general-purpose D-Pad these days, they really don't cut it for heavy use across all genres.

Last edited:

shadow_shogun

Fallen Guardian
Oct 25, 2017
Fighting games are the only ways I use to judge d-pad. PS1-PS3 controllers have the best d-pads due to the segmented buttons being close, making it easy to make diagonal inputs, PS4-PS5 are way spaced out.

Grugga Pug

Nov 5, 2017
I absolutely loved the Vita's, but the Series X controller is pretty awesome too. I also remember digging the DS lite pad.

CO_Andy

Oct 25, 2017
Personally i find the Saturn 3D Controller to be Sega's best. Dpad is the same as the regular Saturn, except it has a nice grainy texture. Love that all the face buttons are the same size.

b65fd3f1afd72bb18add401d34c9e712.jpg

yyr

Nov 14, 2017
White Plains, NY
Damn... how is Series X compatibility with Steam? Is it as good & better as One X?

Not sure if you're asking about the Series X compatibility being better than One X, or the Series X D-pad being better than One X.

I can't help you on the former, but for the latter, YES! The Series controller has the best D-pad of any modern controller, period, bar none. (I don't consider the Vita a "controller," though "modern" is debatable.)

Dreamcast didn't have the best controller but not the worst either. The D-pad is actually better in comparison now because there have been some really bad D-pads after it.

Just because the X360 D-pad is far worse does not mean that the Dreamcast D-pad is good...

IMO this take belongs in the "Your controversial gaming opinions?" thread, not here. I was playing on my Super Mario Bros. Game & Watch earlier today and it has a plenty good D-pad, just like the NES and SNES controllers did. Are you basing this opinion on really worn-out controllers? That, I can see...

SleepySlippy

Nov 19, 2017
classiccontrollerpro.jpg

The Classic Controller Pro has always been a personal favorite of mine
I love the Wii U Pro Controller, but the D-pad on the Wii Classic Controller Pro is even better indeed. Less stiff, ideally placed. Unfortunately the Classic Controller Pro doesn't fit well in my hands. I wonder if the Classic Controller would fit better...

Damn... how is Series X compatibility with Steam? Is it as good & better as One X?
Plug and play. Couldn't be more compatible I guess.

(Clicky stick Neo Geo fans - I see you and respect you and your answer is probably actually the correct one)
I own one but I find the stick too noisy... However my biggest concern is that my thumb gets lost between the directions and often confused between, for instance, down and diagonal left-down. At the end, I find it far from ideal and I can't manage to play precisely with that kind of controller.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
I love the Wii U Pro Controller, but the D-pad on the Wii Classic Controller Pro is even better indeed. Less stiff, ideally placed. Unfortunately the Classic Controller Pro doesn't fit well in my hands. I wonder if the Classic Controller would fit better...

For me the OG Classic is too small. Deffo feels different, so maybe it could work for you.