• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BFIB

Oct 25, 2017
I've seen this through a few times, watching it again now. Such an incredible journey of baseball, even if you are not a fan of the sport, it's an incredible look on America during the decades.

Watch it if you need something new.

FnordChan

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Beautiful Chapel Hill, NC
Assuming Ken Burns is in first place, the runner up has to be The Battered Bastards of Baseball.

It's about how Kurt Russell's dad owned an independent baseball club in the 70s and Kurt himself played on the team. It's tremendously entertaining, even if you're not much for baseball in the first place.

That's assuming we're only discussing documentaries about baseball, of course.

jml

Mar 9, 2018
Hoop Dreams for a documentary that actually leaves an impact on you and feels important

The King of Kong for pure entertainment factor

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Made in America is still the perfect documentary in my mind. Such an amazing exploration of race in America.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
What is the worst trend in thread creation and why is it this one?

But yeah OJ Made In America was better.

Oct 28, 2017
Everything Ken Burns is outstanding it's not fair to include him

Carrier on PBS, about life on the USS Nimitz is the most accurate depiction of Naval life that I have ever seen.

When We Were Kings. Muhammad Ali versus George Foreman. Perfection set to film.

Manbig

Oct 26, 2017
Jon Bois and Alex Rubenstein just finished a 6 part documentary all about the Seattle Mariners and it is fucking amazing.

Here's part one.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
OJ: Made in America is most probably the best doc series I've seen from the last 10, maybe 20, years. For films, Exit Through the Gift Shop is still my favorite of the past decade.

I have not seen a single Ken Burns doc actually...

butalala

Nov 24, 2017
Currently watching Ken Burns' National Parks Doc because I can't go hiking with a 8-mo. preggo wife. It's great stuff.

Ubik

Nov 13, 2018
Canada
Some of my favourites are about troubled movie productions:

Burden of Dreams (Fitzcarraldo)
Hearts of Darkness (Apocalypse Now)
Jodorowsky's Dune
Lost Soul: The Doomed Journey of Richard Stanley's Island of Dr. Moreau

It's hard to go wrong with any made/narrated by Werner Herzog or David Attenborough too.

zoltek

Oct 25, 2017
No it didn't last dance is a Jordan wank fest that is totally biased and pro jordan
For someone whose formative sports-watching years coincided with those of Jordan's reign, Last Dance has been nothing but wonderful for me. I was at an age where all I did was watch the basketball and love it, but I was too young to know what was going on behind the scenes. For that alone, this documentary has been golden.

Honest question: What's your basketball team?

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
For someone whose formative sports-watching years coincided with those of Jordan's reign, Last Dance has been nothing but wonderful for me. I was at an age where all I did was watch the basketball and love it, but I was too young to know what was going on behind the scenes. For that alone, this documentary has been golden.
Honest question: What's your basketball team?
I don't think he's saying it wasn't entertaining. It's a paid propaganda piece, not a documentary in the Ken Burns sense.

I watched baseball the first week of this year. Phenomenal documentary, and kinda unreal baseball was canceled indefinitely lol

Shane

Oct 25, 2017
And it's right there on PBS to stream.

Maybe I'll give this a watch today. Thanks for the heads up.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
There is Ken Burns and Lynn Novak...and then there is everyone else.

"Prohibition" is one of my favorites. It's an even wilder story than you can imagine.

zoltek

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think he's saying it wasn't entertaining. It's a paid propaganda piece, not a documentary in the Ken Burns sense.

I watched baseball the first week of this year. Phenomenal documentary, and kinda unreal baseball was canceled indefinitely lol

Fair enough. What's your favorite basketball team?

Oct 25, 2017
Ken Burns Civil War is my personal favorite. But anything he does is amazing and I am using his docs to teach my wife history lessons and she is loving them.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
uobv0qu.gif

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
Fair enough. What's your favorite basketball team?
I'm a lakers fan. Not my intention to rain on anyone's nostalgia parade, I have been watching plenty of old Lakers stuff during stay at home lol
FWIW I also really enjoyed the last dance, but the lack of objectivity or opposing voice is hard for me to not notice. Being a fluff piece isn't necessarily bad, especially for Jordan, where IMO it fit the brand well. It was about the persona not the person.
It also makes me worried about the eventual Kobe doc too, since it will copy Jordan in every way possible lol. It will go easy on him for the negative stuff

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
According to Wikipedia, Burns looks to have some amazing topics for his next documentaries:

• Ernest Hemingway (2021, with Lynn Novick)[67]
  • Ali (2021, with Sarah Burns and David McMahon)[68]
  • The Holocaust & the United States (working title) (2021, with Lynn Novick)[69]
  • Benjamin Franklin (2022)[70]
  • Stand-up Comedy (TBA)[71]
  • LBJ & the Great Society (2027) [72]
  • The American Buffalo (TBA) [73]
  • Leonardo da Vinci (TBA) [73]
  • The American Revolution (2025) [73]
  • The History of Reconstruction (TBA) [73]
  • Winston Churchill (TBA) [73]

Last edited:

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
According to Wikipedia, Burns looks to have some amazing topics for his next documentaries:

• Ernest Hemingway (2021, with Lynn Novick)[67]
  • Ali (2021, with Sarah Burns and David McMahon)[68]
  • The Holocaust & the United States (working title) (2021, with Lynn Novick)[69]
  • Benjamin Franklin (2022)[70]
  • Stand-up Comedy (TBA)[71]
  • LBJ & the Great Society (2027) [72]
  • The American Buffalo (TBA) [73]
  • Leonardo da Vinci (TBA) [73]
  • The American Revolution (2025) [73]
  • The History of Reconstruction (TBA) [73]
  • Winston Churchill (TBA) [73]

He should team up with Chernow and do Hamilton.

JohnsonUT

Oct 27, 2017
I love documentaries, but there is something about Ken Burn's style that always puts me to sleep. And I always try to go back for more when he releases a new one. Same result.

Couleurs

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
Baseball was such an awesome documentary series, but the 10th inning update Ken Burns made a few years ago was pretty disappointing. It was all Red Sox, Red Sox, Red Sox, completely ignoring that the White Sox ended a crazy long drought of their own just a year later.

J2C

Oct 26, 2017
I really liked Walt Disney's two-part, 4-hour episode of The American Experience. Fascinating, and still could have been twice as long

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
If we limit it just to sports, When We Were Kings, Hoop Dreams, and Senna are probably the best I've seen (haven't actually seen Burns' Baseball, just his Civil War series).