• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Overlord is really the only anime i willing watch because it skips all the bullshit and just crushed folks and amazing ways. The same with GATE, the fantasy empire got the first lick in, but when the JDF ran it back they got up in that ass.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
whats the one about the guy who comes back from the fantasy world and he is sad Sega doesnt make consoles anymore

TacoSupreme

Jul 26, 2019
I love Overlord, kinda hate GATE.

All of that being said, Bookworm and Haibane Renmei are better than either one.

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
My favorite isekai is the one where the MC gets hit by a truck.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I would like overlord if it didn't get bored with it's own story. The first major arc ends in such a way where it's just like, "bleh, bored with this, let's do something else" and the next story arch is completely different, and still boring, so the third arc is something completely different featuring a bunch of characters you don't care about and it's like, "It's this Ain's story? Where's Ain's?"

Ains is the most unimportant character in overlord, it's weird.

Gate is cool once you get past the Rah rah jingoistic "This is why Japan should have an army" nature of it. Wondering if they'll ever finish that story in anime form. The only thing I don't like about it is that everyone from the other world is stupid. Like, in a world with major and dark gods and blood pacts and beast men and whatnot, the best they can do is a phalanx. Even without modern technology, that empire would have been cake to sweep away. It's only when they start using guerrila tactics that they become a problem and even then, it's a PR problem.

As for the best Isekai....It's a tough question because given enough time, they all become shit because they get bored with the isekai concept and they all just devolve into really stupid harem animes. The instant death manga is really fun because it cuts through the bullshit. Skeleton Warrior couldn't protect the Witch is fun but gets stupid when the motorcycles show up. RE:Monster is interesting but boy that mangaka loves rape while not understand what he's writing is rape.

Slime-san got boring. Skeleton Warrior got boring. Sword-san got boring. I love 7th Prince but it's a shota story so I can't recommend it...

Oh my god, is the answer Sasaki and Peeps? I've only watched it so I don't know if it falls apart but...it could be Sasaki and Peeps.

All of that being said, Bookworm and Haibane Renmei are better than either one.

I don't know if I'd count Haibane Renmei.

But you should watch Haibane Renmei.

Last edited:

Ryno

Oct 25, 2017
Gate was way too much JSDF propaganda like it was really bad. Reminded me of the Transformers movies if the US military was shitting on the Deceptions

Sabin

Oct 25, 2017
That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime is currently the best until Yakuza Reincarnation hopefully gets a good Anime adaptation.

f5b99bde-e5d8-4bb1-800e-581a983f9ba0.jpg

6a7bef05-0934-45ef-af53-4db88671dd1c.jpg

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
Twelve Kingdoms is the high water mark.

Remember when this type of story wasn't just used for power fantasy wankery? Good times.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime is currently the best until Yakuza Reincarnation hopefully gets a good Anime adaptation.

f5b99bde-e5d8-4bb1-800e-581a983f9ba0.jpg

6a7bef05-0934-45ef-af53-4db88671dd1c.jpg

YOU KNOW WHAT? YES.

Yakuza ressurection is currently the best isekai.

Shit rules.

Twelve Kingdoms is the high water mark.

Remember when this type of story wasn't just used for power fantasy wankery? Good times.

LOL no.

Even a connecticut yankee in king arthur's court, arguably the first isekai, has the main character gunning down knights with a minigun.

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
Konosuba is the only one I've watched more than once. Almost watched it a third time before season 3, too.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
I know these are popular, but barely anything comes to mind as "best". Most of them are just middling, predictable, and/or boring power fantasies.

The one that came to mind is I'm in Love with the Villainess.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Oh, and there's only 11 or so chapters but "RTA Sousha wa Game Sekai kara Kaerenai" is AMAZING.

Kenai

Oct 26, 2017
I much preferred Log Horizon to Overlord personally. Overlord does the thing a lot of anime does and makes the MC/adjacents extremely overpowered to the point of becoming bored with itself and it's own story.

Escaflowne and Digimon are good answers too.

Astraea

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
The best are I'm in Love with the Villainess, The Executioner and Her Way of Life and The Magical Revolution of the Reincarnated Princess and the Genius Young Lady.

Also So I'm a Spider So What?!

NoobSauceG7

Feb 7, 2022
Mushoku Tensei for me. I remember watching it and starting episode 2 and thinking "this is just garbage", and like yeah it is, but that's the point and it grew on me lol.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Mushoku Tensei for me. I remember watching it and starting episode 2 and thinking "this is just garbage", and like yeah it is, but that's the point and it grew on me lol.
It's a good story as long as you don't try to redemn Redius in your mind. You are supposed to think he's a piece of shit. He is a liar, he contradicts himself at every turn, he is a sexual predator and ultimately someone generally unsafe to be around. That's the point of his character, even if the mangaka thinks that's funny.

I see so many people like, "oh he gets better, oh it's fine, he did it ONCE! And he learned!" No he didn't. Again, that's the point, he never learns, if anything he just becomes more selective about his bouts of being a sexual predator. He cajoles the people around him to make it seem like it's okay for one reason or another.

He's a piece of shit. That's the point. He is irredeemable. And people miss that.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry, but Overlord is peak edgelord tryhard, and it cemented to me its Nazi-like MC with the last season when a slight against his base with its player designed waifu led him to the only possible consequence: the annihilation of an entire kingdom full of thousands of innocent people. That's when I decided "yep, this really is trash, nothing redeemable".

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
log horizon imho. sure wish the author was still writing it.

i need to catch up on a shittonne of villainess shows and yakuza reincarnation tho

also yeah its digimon adventures s1 and 2

oh and ... fushigi yugi?