• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AnimaRize

Banned
Nov 7, 2020
Edgelords are so plentiful in gaming. We love them and sometimes hate them but they are always designed to be as edgy as possible in over the top or subtle ways. What is the one that you thought you would hate but ended up loving.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
latest

Darksiders: The Edgination of Edge /s

One I don't hate though is ... hmmm

Oh, Adam Jensen from Deus Ex:
maxresdefault.jpg

he has a gravelly voice, black trenchcoat is is usually brooding in some way, but the character's performance and dialogue allowed him to be personable with moments of genuine, charming care for his allies to the point I really enjoyed him

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
Reaper from overwatch. Not so much his look but his voice. It's comical how edgy he is but I like the character anyway.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, Adam Jensen from Deus Ex:
maxresdefault.jpg

he has a gravelly voice, black trenchcoat is is usually brooding in some way, but the character's performance and dialogue allowed him to be personable with moments of genuine, charming care for his allies to the point I really enjoyed him
huh, never really saw Adam as an edgelord

for me, gotta go with the GOAT edgelord. I thought Shadow was cool in SA2. I still think that. now he's just a dork and I love him

1786475-sonic_hgds__1_.png

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't say these are the edgiest but...

Shadow the Hedgehog. In his first game I'd barely consider him all that edgy (no more edgy than Metal Sonic), but I still kinda liked him even in his own game and Sonic 06. He's just so goofily over the top.

And Organization XIII in Kingdom Hearts. They're basically the polar opposite of Disney as depicted in the first game, aesthetically, but I love their zippers and most of their character motivations are pretty understandable. Also Roxas in black coat = best KH protag.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
d3d0fde8388e0f7967a55cdc28c64cfa38998678_00.gif

I've said it before but punk Dante is great because of the universe that Ninja Theory created where demons run everything and so he's antithetical to it because of that and not just because he's a demon slayer.

texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Velvet from Tales of Berseria. I still hate that edgelord outfit, but I grew fond of her actual character and story. Absolutely great writing.

Glassboy

Oct 27, 2017
I thought Boozer from Days Gone design was a little edge lord but he was one of my favorite characters from the game and even recent memory. Deacon is also underrated.

Oct 25, 2017
Kratos from God War series. (Except reboot)

He may be the worst father and mass murderer but he still has a badass charisma around him.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Can we define Edgelord design a bit? Is it — blacks/greys/metals on the color spectrum, combined with metal/spikes/literal edges?

Oct 27, 2017
Velvet from Tales of Berseria. I still hate that edgelord outfit, but I grew fond of her actual character and story. Absolutely great writing.
What makes it worse is that Eleanor actually tells her she can fix her outfit but she doesn't budge because "there is no time". On a ship that is traveling across the world for many days...

I wish they gave her a better outfit.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I switched her costume immediately after the prologue when I had the option to. Awful.
Yeah I am glad we could switch it as soon as she puts it on. You still need to see it because of the skits and some cutscenes which sucked but oh well...
thankfully, modders on the pc fixed that

41F382983BB7A05265CA2832E63ED6AAC2F85D24
Looks better but IMO it would have been better if they gave a more "low key" outfit. Less belts and less skin. (That part near the start with her going around with this outfit in a very snowy area was so stupid. Made the knights and everyone look real dumb not to question what she is wearing).

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Shadow was awesome in Sonic Adventure 2, but ever since the Shadow the Hedgehog game, I've hated him with a burning passion.

He's arguably a much better character in the comics, however.

I agree with this.

Oct 27, 2017

Felix from Three Houses is basically that typical edgy sword guy and I unironically love him for it. Probably my favorite character in the game.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
*teleports behind you*

tenor.gif

Nothing personal, I just want my shields back kid

(Revenant from Apex Legends)
Though all things considered I was sold on him by design alone so it wasn't that I didn't expect to like him, but I have had to get used to playing as an edgey fella that's like a less ironic Reaper from Overwatch.

Speaking of Overwatch, I have to try and consider if Doomfist can be considered some level of edge, perhaps in a game where Reaper didn't already deliberately amp that edge up he might be.

Nov 17, 2019
Virgil. Half-demon, obsessed with power, wears a trench coat, uses a katana, teleports, lots of edgy one-liners. Somehow he's still cool.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
That I thought I would hate? I'm here for a lot of bullshit because I like this sort of stuff.

Uh

Not in look but in attitude. Estinien from ffxiv. His motivations aren't clearly explained untill you get to havensward. Untill then he's just an ass. And then you get his motivations and you get it. He isn't justified in every way he's angry and he learns and grows and becomes a better person. But you fucking get it.

for me, gotta go with the GOAT edgelord. I thought Shadow was cool in SA2. I still think that. now he's just a dork and I love him

I wish he was a dork in the IDW comics, he's just bad right now.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I love edge lord designs, so I don't usually approach them thinking I'd hate them in the first place.

Dec 21, 2020

Whenever I see Shadow, I can't help but focus on his bumped ends

Reminds me of church on a Sunday back then...

Also, the lack of Zelda Shiek is disappointing in this thread

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
DMC3 Dante at the first glance I ever got at DMC3 struck me as lame but it's in my head as my favorite Dante design now.

Also, DmC Dante. Still loved that game and thought Dante was alright in it. Not my top 3 Dante designs but I definitely didn't hate it.

Oct 27, 2017
latest

I used to hate McBurn when he first appeared in Cold Steel 2. Super edgelord clothing with an even more edgelord name.

He's now one of my favourite characters in the Trails series though.

Zyrox

One Winged Slayer Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 25, 2017
I love edgelords. I can't think of one I expected to hate.