• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What is the third most influential fighting game series?

• King of Fighters

Votes: 93 7.2%
  • Mortal Kombat

Votes: 676 52.2%
  • Darkstalkers/Vampire

Votes: 52 4.0%
  • Super Smash Bros.

Votes: 427 33.0%
  • Power Stone

Votes: 8 0.6%
  • Other

Votes: 38 2.9%

• Total voters

Futaleufu

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
It matters because it's literally not the same thing.

World Heroes 2's one-button auto-combos are also not Magic Series chains. They are auto-combos and the game gets credit for innovating auto-combos, but auto-combos are not Magic Series chain combos.

The game has true chains (timestamped)

You can see how he botches the 2nd one, this isnt an "auto combo"

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I honestly lean more towards KoF than Mortal Kombat and while Smash Bros is incredibly popular and did help create a subgenre of fighting games, I'm not sure if I'd consider it more influential than KoF because the Smash Bro-alike games tend to not have a lasting influence or sequels whereas games that were shaped around KoF (or Street Fighter) have had many.

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
3rd is kinda interesting, but about the 6th most influential, now there's a topic.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
People ITT are heavily conflating influence, relevance and novelty. It doesn't mean shit, in terms of influence, that other games did something first unless they were cited as an inspiration.

Oct 27, 2017
Mortal Kombat is popular but didn't influence much IMO
I feel like it's story modes definitely have been. Not to say they've been successfully adopted by other fighters, but they seem to have raise the expectations for what a single player story content could be.

I think for a period of time you could definitely say it was quite an influential series, though that seems to of fallen by the wayside quite substantially since the early 2000s.

Scrappy-Fan92

Jan 14, 2021
I'm a massive Smash fan, but "influential" isn't a word I'd use. I wish it was far more influential.

The most it has influenced is a handful of indie games. Maybe single-A at most. It shouldn't be on the list, much less voted for.

And without Smash, Fire Emblem: Awakening and later probably wouldn't even exist, so the series has actually done harm to a franchise.
The most Smash did pre-2012 was getting Fire Emblem localized in the first place, but the series had been chugging along in Japan and was likely going to stay that way up until the mid-2000s. The stalling sales of later games are the fault of Nintendo and Intelligent Systems alone, but they had a consistent release cadence and a long legacy to work from, so they'd likely pivot to a more accessible last-ditch effort game regardless. Fire Emblem saved Fire Emblem, and I'm saying that as someone with little love for the series' embrace of certain tropes throughout its history.

Last edited:

Gabaghoul582

Banned
Nov 2, 2021
Street Fighter
MK
Smash

Kidding you think Virtua Fighter or Tekken is in the top 3. Soul Calibur is higher than them.

Oct 26, 2017
If you trace the inspiration family tree, everything goes back to SF2, which in turn goes back to Karate Champ, IK+ and such. VF1 and MK1 both have obvious lineage to SF. But there's a remarkable amount of games that have very little in common with SF specifically but a lot with VF or MK, so it's fairly obvious they are the top three.

Smash really hasn't inspired much, because it has always taken all the attention. In 24 years, there's been like ten actual Smash clones of note, and most of them crashed and burned. There were more games than that inspired by SF, VF or MK every year for the ten years after their release. Heck, Capcom themselves and SNK released ten between them per year at one point.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
SamSho (2)

That was the first big series I remember with a focus on weapons, which would be huge in later fighting games like Soul Calibur

youtu.be

SAMURAI SHODOWN 2 IS GODLIKE (Hype Compilation)

Check out our Livestream! http://twitch.tv/maximilian_doodMy official hardware provider is ASUS ROG, check 'em out! ►►►http://rogarena.comCapture your games ...

Futaleufu

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
They are one button autocombos. You perform it by tapping LP with almost every character.

Chains wouldn't even work in World Heroes 2 because it's a two attack button game. Let's stop derailing please.

There is a clear crouching chain at 5:40, but at this point you are just trolling making up rules as the discussion goes by.

skillzilla81

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Street Fighter
MK
Smash

Kidding you think Virtua Fighter or Tekken is in the top 3. Soul Calibur is higher than them.

SoulCalibur has spent the last several entries copying 2D mechanics that started in Darkstalkers. Smash hasn't influenced much since it sucks the air out leaving little room for other stuff. MK didn't influence much mechanically except a boom of shitty clones that fell off and died. Then MK tried to go 3D, sucked ass (and probably had a shitty dev schedule), and then rebooted to 2.5D which, I would guess, was at least partially inspired by SF4.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
I clicked into the thread assuming #1 was Street Fighter and #2 was Mortal Kombat. I'm totally okay with Virtua Fighter being #2, but obviously that makes #3 MK.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
As a guy that likes indie fighters and has gotten into a handful of indie platform fighters Over the years. This thread is reminding me of how much of a pain it is to play fighting games that YouTubers and twitch streamers don't play. Cause damn it feels like if it ain't by a big dev then it ain't good enough lol.

OP
OP
JusDoIt

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
As a guy that likes indie fighters and has gotten into a handful of indie platform fighters Over the years. This thread is reminding me of how much of a pain it is to play fighting games that YouTubers and twitch streamers don't play. Cause damn it feels like if it ain't by a big dev then it ain't good enough lol.

It's a discussion about influence. What are the influential indie fighters you think we are missing and how have they influenced other fighting games?

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
Mortal Kombat sure sparked a bunch of clones back in the 90's (one worse than the other), with over the top gore, stiff mechanics and digitized graphics.. But Smash was the responsible of a whole new sub-genre (like Virtua Fighter did);

So yeah... the pillars are Street Fighter, Super Smash Bros. and Virtua Fighter.

AndrewDean84

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fontana, California
And yet Tekken has surpassed its predecessor it would seem. All the extra modes Tekken has added, meanwhile VF seems quite stale in comparison. It just seems like history will favor Tekken and Soul Calibur more favorably, as they have taken the 3D fighting concept and made it better and do so much more.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
I was going ti say Samash Bros, since a lot of games have copied it since. But really, Morral Kombat was a catalyst for violence and maturity in games. I'd say Mortal Kombat is surely the third most influential Fighter, even if its influence wasn't directly about the fighting. It did however spark entire ratings systems, and influenced tons of other games to take bolder steps towards gore, and violence.

Not sure how VF beat out Tekken, or even stranger how Tekken isn't even an option. Or Soul Calibur for that matter.

This is more a poll about the influence the franchise had on other games. Tekken was essentially Namco's take on virtua fighter, but with a slightly different feeling combat system and better/ cooler character design.

Virtua Fighter on the other hand inspired and influenced not only almost every 3D fighter that came after it, but quite likely a lot of 3D videogames in general, since it was a pioneer of 3D videogames and fighting mechanics in a 3D space.

Personally, I'd place Soul Calibur above Tekken in influence, since Soul Calibur pioneered the 8-way movement that most modern 3D fighters copied.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
It's a discussion about influence. What are the influential indie fighters you think we are missing and how have they influenced other fighting games?
Didn't mean it like that. Meant it in the more "x game only influenced y indie games so therefore x game is not as influential as z game which inspired more big budget games" vibe some of the posts in the thread are giving lol.

Oct 26, 2017
SamSho (2)

That was the first big series I remember with a focus on weapons, which would be huge in later fighting games like Soul Calibur

youtu.be

SAMURAI SHODOWN 2 IS GODLIKE (Hype Compilation)

Check out our Livestream! http://twitch.tv/maximilian_doodMy official hardware provider is ASUS ROG, check 'em out! ►►►http://rogarena.comCapture your games ...

There are entire subgenres of VF, MK and Smash clones. SamSho has SoulCal and arguably Guilty Gear (since iirc some SNK people went to Arc) and a couple of minor series like Last Blade, Ninja Masters and the like with clear SamSho DNA. SamSho is fairly influential since it was early and successful, but nowhere near the big ones.

There's also other early games like Weaponlord. "What about Street Fighter... but with weapons" is not a huge paradigm shift.

OP
OP
JusDoIt

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
Didn't mean it like that. Meant it in the more "x game only influenced y indie games so therefore x game is not as influential as z game which inspired more big budget games" vibe some of the posts in the thread are giving lol.

I got you.

And yet Tekken has surpassed its predecessor it would seem. All the extra modes Tekken has added, meanwhile VF seems quite stale in comparison.

Tekken without question is a more successful franchise than VF, critically and commercially. That doesn't make it more influential, however.

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
I'd argue Mortal Kombat was the most influential fighting game of all time since it singlehandlely provoked the creation of ESRB and game ratings.

Syntsui

Oct 25, 2017
I'd argue Mortal Kombat was the most influential fighting game of all time since it singlehandlely provoked the creation of ESRB and game ratings.
MK would give Street Fighter a run for its money if the poll was about the most influential of all time considering people's lose interpretation for the word "influence".

That said, if the focus is specifically within fighting games' mechanics/features, it can't be above SF at all. It's a safe second.

emperor bohe

Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't Virtua Fighter 2 the first 3D game to utilize mocap?

Edit: not sure how true this source is but it's compelling lol
www.gameanim.com

Virtua Fighter Series Mocap

A collection of videos taken from the Virtua Fighter History bonus disc with Shenmue 2 (originally a Virtua Fighter RPG) and the History Mode in Virtua Fighter 3tb. This footage is especially of no…

Just Great

Oct 25, 2017
Perhaps you're right. I feel like Tekken 3 is the game with the most mainstream acclaim out of both series (even if a couple VF games have more competitive life than Tekken 3).

Either way, Tekken is not more influential than VF.

They pretty much end up having equal critical reception when you look at what few major publication reviews are available going back to the 90s, mostly going tit for tat.

emperor bohe

Oct 27, 2017
I think 4D Sports Boxing had that in 1991.

Ahhh good call, didn't know that this game existed lol

They pretty much end up having equal critical reception when you look at what few major publication reviews are available going back to the 90s, mostly going tit for tat.

What's interesting is they both capitalized when the other faltered lol:
- A lot of people prefer VF2 over VF3? Tekken 3 comes out swinging
- many people not feeling Tekken 4? Well here comes Virtua Fighter 4, which was an undeniable influence on the later successful Tekken 5

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
The ESRB creation is irrelevant for the conversation on influence on the genre itself; Mortal Kombat was incredibly big at the time, and as I mentioned, had its own clones like Street Fighter did, but it didn't break new ground on the genre.. is just a different interpretation of what Street Fighter was already doing, not unlike all the SNK games, for example.

Virtua Fighter created the 3D fighting game sub-genre, Smash created the platformer fighter sub-genre... and I'd say Virtua-On also created the arena fighter, but I'm not sure on that one.

I wish Power Stone had much more of an impact though.. it barely influenced any games after that..

Oct 28, 2017
It's Mortal Kombat for sure.

In the first couple of games you have Fatalities and overall gore (which lead to the creation of the ratings system), the first highly successful Fighting Game series from a western studio and digitized images as graphics. All new and pretty impactful concepts.

Then in later games there is stuff like crazy amount of Unlockables in the crypt and the first video game single player story mode that people really cared about in MK9.

I'm sad Tekken is not even an option in the poll though, even though it shouldn't win.

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
It's not irrelevant, but I think people are making more out of the ESRB creation than they should.

It's a hugely important event in video game history, but today there are very, very few rated M fighting games. MK practically corners the market today.
well, I wasn't downplaying the importance of the event, just that for fighting games.. it doesn't change anything? may as well say Thrill Kill was another mark for being the only AO Rated fighting game ever =P

Also, nothing against Mortal Kombat;.. I'm particularly not into, but I don't see it anything beyond another take on what Street Fighter had already estabilished before.