The worst best picture nominee of the last 10 years is...

• The Blind Side

Votes: 85 15.7%
  • Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close

Votes: 86 15.9%
  • The Help

Votes: 16 3.0%
  • Vice

Votes: 13 2.4%
  • Green Book

Votes: 94 17.3%
  • Bohemian Rhapsody

Votes: 215 39.7%
  • other

Votes: 33 6.1%

• Total voters

hiredhand

Feb 6, 2019
It has been ten years since the Academy moved from five Best Picture nominees to a wider category. The change has resulted in indie and genre films getting more exposure at the Oscar but it has also resulted in some truly terrible choices in the Best Picture category. The latest group of nominees was widely considered to be the worst one since the introduction of the wider Best Picture category.

But which of these films is the absolute worst? The nominees were mostly chosen based on Metacritic scores. I did drop out Les Miserables in favor of Green Book because I thought that would be the more popular choice here.

The nominees are:

The Blind Side
: Sandra Bullock in full white saviour mode teaches a black kid cliched life lessons.

Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close: Basically The Book of Henry but with more 9/11.

The Help: It sure was pleasant being a black maid in the civil right era south.

Vice: Maybe the most platant case of riding the re-release hype and very heavy campaigning straight to the nominations.

Green Book: Driving Miss Daisy 2: Pianist Bogaloo

Bohemian Rhapsody: A biopic so formulaic and forced that it's like Walk Hard never happened.

ascii42

Oct 25, 2017
I actually haven't seen any of those. Apparently the last Best Picture winner I've seen was 2007's No Country For Old Men

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
I really didn't like The Blindside when it came out. The Help was actually good. The rest of this list I haven't seen.

mattiewheels

Oct 27, 2017
Was War Horse anything special? All I know about it is it was supposedly one of those magical Spielbergian joints but I never heard a thing about it since.
And I'm not sure if True Grit was worth a nomination, it was probably the coen's most forgettable film.

Uncle at Nintendo

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Jan 3, 2018
They should have never doubled the amount of nominees for BP. Maybe bumped it up to 6 or 7.

For this list it's The Blind Side. It's just really fucking boring.

balgajo

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Given that Green Book was my favorite Oscar movie from last year alongside with Roma I already have to disagree with the possibilities.
The last one I was hyped to see because of oscar nomination and good critical reception that disappointed me was Lady Bird.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Nominee? La La Land.
They should have never doubled the amount of nominees for BP. Maybe bumped it up to 6 or 7.

For this list it's The Blind Side. It's just really fucking boring.
They've since started to use a sliding scale, so anywhere from 5-10 films can get a nomination provided they meet a certain threshold of votes.

But yeah, the first few years of 10 films allowed some real trash to qualify.

spx54

Mar 21, 2019
a year ago I would've been mad that Vice was an option here, but its surprisingly bad on rewatch. Bale is still great in it though

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, seeing them lined up is quite a thing. When Vice might be the best of the lot you got yourself a problem.

Toss up between Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close and Bohemian Rhapsody for me.

Oct 27, 2017
Was War Horse anything special? All I know about it is it was supposedly one of those magical Spielbergian joints but I never heard a thing about it since.

Give it a watch. I thoroughly enjoyed it and thought it was done well from an emotional and storytelling perspective. Some may not enjoy the more fantastical and melodramatic aspects of it, however.

As a BP nominee there have certainly been far worse things nominated and I don't think War Horse is undeserving of its selection.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
I have to ask: why?

It would probably be in the top 10 for me. It's certainly a lot better than everything not called The Favourite from this year's nominees.
It just feels so cookie cutter, which is blinded by the songs. So I was just seeing a concert without connecting emotionally. And of course, like Green Book there is the racial element. It is appropriating a typical black genre.

OP
OP
hiredhand

hiredhand

Feb 6, 2019
It just feels so cookie cutter, which is blinded by the songs. So I was just seeing a concert without connecting emotionally. And of course, like Green Book there is the racial element. It is appropriating a typical black genre.
So white people playing jazz is in itself offensive?

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
The planetarium scene and opening on an LA Freeway is cookie cutter?

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
Les Misérables (2012)

200w.gif

aBIGeye

Nov 2, 2017
Haven't seen them all, but Sandra Bullock as a white blonde upper class suburban wife was difficult to watch.

Hound

Jul 6, 2019
How on earth did OP leave American Sniper out of the poll? Ignoring how big of a piece of shit the subject of the file was as a human being, American Sniper is legitimately garbage bin tier film making. It's easily the worst 'best picture' nominated film that I have ever seen. It's a movie that tries its hardest to self congratulate the American conservative narrative during the Bush era. Just like their narrative at the time, the movie is poorly constructed and profoundly stupid.

The movie is basically beating you over the head that a psychopath keeps having to go to the desert to shoot people and be a general piece of shit; and that makes him and his awful wife sad. This goes back and forth until the main character just kinda quits, and the movie abruptly ends to photographs of the real person accompanied with sad music. Throughout all this there are continuity issues and the pacing fees off. It feels like a propaganda filmmaker's first attempt at a feature film. It's really sad that this is from the same director that made the excellent Letters from Iwo Jima.

How on earth did OP leave American Sniper out of the poll? Ignoring how big of a piece of shit the subject of the file was as a human being, American Sniper is legitimately garbage bin tier film making. It's easily the worst 'best picture' nominated film that I have ever seen. It's a movie that tries its hardest to self congratulate the American conservative narrative during the Bush era. Just like their narrative at the time, the movie is poorly constructed and profoundly stupid.

The movie is basically beating you over the head that a psychopath keeps having to go to the desert to shoot people and be a general piece of shit; and that makes him and his awful wife sad. This goes back and forth until the main character just kinda quits, and the movie abruptly ends to photographs of the real person accompanied with sad music. Throughout all this there are continuity issues and the pacing fees off. It feels like a propaganda filmmaker's first attempt at a feature film. It's really sad that this is from the same director that made the excellent Letters from Iwo Jima.

American Sniper was a no brainer, fun action movie nothing more.
The overly patriotic portrait of Kyle and he as a person sucked, the story telling was off and then there was the doll.

I don't get why people hate Bohemian Rapsody though.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Most of these movies are bad by Oscar bait standards, Bohemian Rhapsody is legitimately a terrible movie.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
American Sniper was a no brainer, fun action movie nothing more.
The overly patriotic portrait of Kyle and he as a person sucked, the story telling was off and then there was the doll.

I don't get why people hate Bohemian Rapsody though.
A fun dumb action movie stops being fun when it's propaganda dressed up as an historical account.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
Bohemian Rhapsody isn't even a well-made movie - without going into the actual narrative structure. It was nominated and won awards because people love Queen. Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close is also a badly made movie. The rest are at least competent, even if they have insulting narrative elements.

OP
OP
hiredhand

hiredhand

Feb 6, 2019

I left it out because it was better received (according to Metacritic) than all the films in the poll and even some that were not in it (Les Miserables, Lion, Hacksaw Ridge, Inglourious Basterds).

Personally, I don't think it's that bad though I agree that the choice to end it with real footage is pretty terrible.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It's been more than 10 years, but I'm still going with "The Reader".

Barely 63% on Rotten Tomatoes, nominated for Best Picture of DOZENS of much better films.

My roommate and I both watched it and, yeesh, it was actively insulting to the audience's intelligence.