Oct 25, 2017
Fish Tales, because I love pinball machines but resolutely suck at pinball, and all the fluid rail loops make me feel like I'm achieving something other than rapidly dispensing all my spare change.

EDIT: Also maybe Bride of Pin-Bot.

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
The Who's Tommy Pinball Wizard
EO7zS3s.jpg

I've played better tables since, but this was the one machine they had in a small arcade at the campground I spent quite a few summers at as a kid. It was my go to choice to play over any arcade cabinet they had. It wasn't the most complicated machine, but it had great music and art, and even had a fun feature where you could raise shutters over the paddles so that you could "play like Tommy".

XShagrath

Oct 25, 2017
I own six right now:

-Theater of Magic
-The Shadow
-Star Trek: The Next Generation
-Red & Ted's Roadshow
-Tales of the Arabian Nights
-White Water

Of those six, it's really hard to choose a favorite...I suppose Shadow for it's play, Arabian Nights for the theme, Theater of Magic for it's toys, and White Water for how comfortable I am with it.
How do you still have the same tables from all those years ago? Is this just the "master" set for you, or is it just something to have around, and not really a main hobby?

XShagrath

Oct 25, 2017
A local friend of mine got into pinball about 8 years ago with a Gorgar table, followed quickly by Starship Troopers. He swaps things out pretty regularly, as he can sell stuff for about the same price he bought them for, plus or minus a couple hundred bucks, usually. I'm lucky enough to be able to enjoy the hobby through him.

The line-up as of last night is: Space Station, Johnny Mnemonic, Grand Lizard, No Fear, NBA Fastbreak, Attack from Mars, Iron Maiden, and Total Nuclear Annihilation.

Over the years, I've gotten to enjoy: Starship Troopers, T2, T3, Star Wars (the new one, and I think the Data East one), Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit, Fish Tales, Twilight Zone, Star Trek: Next Generation, Star Trek (2013), AC/DC, Aerosmith, Metallica, Spider-Man, TRON: Legacy, Ghostbusters, The Shadow, X-Men, Game of Thrones, Judge Dredd, Ripley's Believe It or Not!, Black Knight 2000, Junky Yard, Getaway, F-14 Tomcat, Mary Shelley's Frankenstein, World Poker Tour, Star Wars: Episode 1/Attack from Mars (with the swappable playfield), and I may be forgetting a few.

Sometimes he keeps them only for a couple of months. He just sold Twilight Zone, and picked up No Fear and Fastbreak. He's already thinking of putting No Fear back up for sale in a couple months. He's also got Monster Bash arriving soon, and has pre-ordered the Alice Cooper table.

I don't really have a favorite table, but playing Fastbreak last night was very fun. I'm not into basketball, but it's got a lot of interesting shots and cool little mechanisms that I haven't seen a lot. I also really liked the new Star Wars title, and Total Nuclear Annihilation. I'm a big Iron Maiden fan, but that table's a little too difficult for me. I'm sure if I played it more often, it would probably be higher on my list, as my skill would improve.

amusix

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Be hard pressed to find pinball fan who wouldn't be stoked to have that collection. Did you realise that they're all different designers, except for TotAN and ToM? That's a hell of a lot of variety there!
Oh, I definitely know who designed each one, and have kept these six because they all offer a different experience.
How do you still have the same tables from all those years ago? Is this just the "master" set for you, or is it just something to have around, and not really a main hobby?
Heh, hey man. The collection hasn't changed because every time I consider swapping one of them out for something else, I just haven't been able to bring myself to part with any.
Until last year, that is. Last year, because I rearranged things in the house, I put Star Trek and Road Show into storage. I'm looking to sell both of them, leaving me with the four others. Of course, I'm not sure I'd sell any of the other four...

UshiromiyaEva

Aug 22, 2018
Elvira's Scared Stiff is my all-time favorite. It's the one that heavily rewards even the slightest amount of rules understanding and it has a very charming sense of humor and theme beyond the very tangental connection to its license.
stiff13.jpg

Honorable mentions go toward stuff like Attack from Mars and Medieval Madness, Williams was thoroughly unstoppable in 90's pinball

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
Elvira's Scared Stiff is my all-time favorite. It's the one that heavily rewards even the slightest amount of rules understanding and it has a very charming sense of humor and theme beyond the very tangental connection to its license.
stiff13.jpg

Honorable mentions go toward stuff like Attack from Mars and Medieval Madness, Williams was thoroughly unstoppable in 90's pinball
Nice pick, it's a shame it's so damned expensive to get these days :( Surprised no-one else mentioned it in here until now!

PS. As one of Era's pinball freaks, I'll be sure to mention that there's no wrong answer in this thread. I derided Simpsons Pinball Party earlier and I'm sure other's picks will be questioned, but anyone enjoying any pinball machine is a fucking. good. thing. Just get out and play more of it!

Edit:
Last year, because I rearranged things in the house, I put Star Trek and Road Show into storage. I'm looking to sell both of them, leaving me with the four others. Of course, I'm not sure I'd sell any of the other four...
They'd probably be the two I'd get rid of as well. Because they could be replaced with newer, better machines ;) Get a new Star Trek Pro and Dialed In! Do you fancy older ones at all? Because I adore my High Speed and don't know why no-one else seems to own/love it.

Gotta post a video of my modded one with under-cab lighting:

Last edited:

growler

Oct 26, 2017
There's an arcade near me that has a bunch of tables, based on the selections in this thread I'd say the owner is an enthusiast. Can't wait to give some of these a whirl. Any of these picks on the lower end of the difficulty curve?

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
I own a restored T2 that I absolutely love. My next favorite would be Joust. Aside from it being exceptionally rare to find one in good shape - and even rarer to find one for sale - the two-player mechanic is loads of fun.