Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
I've spent a lot of time lately thinking about Nintendo's history of handhelds, so I started taking all of my old Game Boys and Nintendo DS systems out and messing around with them. I was going in chronological order, and when I got to the DSi, something about it struck me. It was thin, but it didn't feel fragile. It was light, but it didn't feel flimsy. The matte black plastic had just the right amount of grit. The buttons and D-pad all had a satisfying click. The stylus was just the right size, stored in just the right place. Even now, almost a decade after it's release, the Nintendo DSi still holds up as a brilliant, beautiful piece of hardware. Simply holding it feels good. It's clean, it's minimalistic, and despite it's age, still looks and feels like the future.

Just look at this thing.

1280px-Nintendo-DSi-Bl-Open.jpg

Oddly enough, there's one minor detail about the DSi that I had never noticed since I bought it at launch, but instantly fell in love with it, here in 2018. I booted up the camera, just to see how well they held up quality-wise (spoiler alert: not at all). I turned the system around and... the camera indicator light is pink. Across this monolithic matte black slab of plastic is this cute little hidden gem of an indicator light. I adore it.

To see if I was crazy, I picked up my New 3DS XL shortly thereafter to compare. It somehow felt both flimsy and clunky at the same time, while looking like a toy. Unimpressed, I quickly put it back down and starting looking on eBay for some DS classics to play on this rediscovered masterpiece of a handheld.

Not that I expect anyone else to be this weirdly enamoured by a piece of video game hardware, but what are your favourites? Is there a handheld, controller or console that you just absolutely love to look at or hold?

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, I actually came in here thinking about the DSi. It's just so pleasant. I have the blue one and I'm never getting rid of it.

I also like Virtual Boy, but only because it's ridiculous.

Kiro

Oct 27, 2017
Ottawa, Canada
I think the PS2. Just looking at it, felt like it was a home entertainment console, capable of more than just games. I don't how to express that properly. Before it, all the systems looked like video game consoles. The PS2 looked like a Media Console that fit nicely in any living room.

Oct 25, 2017
I loved the compact and symmetrical nature of the GameCube, and it looked like a make believe console I created that was going to be the console after the SNES.

OP
OP
Derachi

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, I actually came in here thinking about the DSi. It's just so pleasant. I have the blue one and I'm never getting rid of it.

When the DSi originally released, I was in my late teens, so to look "cool" and "mature," I chose the black one, as did all of my friends. As an adult... well, the black one still looks phenomenal, I can't help but wish I could at least see that beautiful blue in person.

Zaki2407

May 6, 2018
Original Phat 60gb PS3. It felt that you just bought a fancy-looking piece oh hardware with a premium price tag.

DocSeuss

Oct 25, 2017
I mean,

187.jpg

The 8800 GTX is probably the most perfect piece of gaming hardware to ever exist.

Akela

Oct 28, 2017
Agree with the DSi, though I would go for the previous iteration, the DS Lite, since it maintained the GBA cartridge slot of the original while having a similar design to the DSi.

As for other consoles, I think the PS2 slim is the obvious answer - the difference in size between it and the original PS2 despite coming out only a few years after just shows how fast technology changed back in the early 2000s. Even today I would say it is the more modern looking console compared to the PS4 Pro I have next to it.

PS2-slim-console.png

OP
OP
Derachi

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
I think the PS2. Just looking at it, felt like it was a home entertainment console, capable of more than just games. I don't how to express that properly. Before it, all the systems looked like video game consoles. The PS2 looked like a Media Console that fit nicely in any living room.

Unless there's an obvious one I'm forgetting, I think this is thanks to the PS2 being the first major console designed to be completely interacted with from the front, instead of the top. The disc tray and power/reset buttons were all on the front, as opposed to the top, making it feel like it belonged right at home in a big entertainment centre shelf.

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018
I don't own one, but the Xbox One X is a beautiful piece of hardware. Love me some subtle, underhanded designs.

Xbox_One_X_Screenshot_05.0.jpg

Parfait

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PS4 classic, PS Vita.

I really love sharp edges, so the ps2 wowed me. I was underwhelmed on the PS3, then came the ps4. Whew was it a sexy console, sharp edges and angles, futuristic and aggressive but not overly so. Then they remade it for no reason into the fisher price version with bonus hamburger version that we have today. Very, very meh.

PS Vita's design is practically everything I wanted out of a handheld. Big screen, reasonable controls, not awkward to hold. It may have had a pocket problem with the analog sticks but I didn't mind it. It's just too bad sony decided to shoot it as it exited the gate with the proprietary storage.

OP
OP
Derachi

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
I don't own one, but the Xbox One X is a beautiful piece of hardware. Love me some subtle, underhanded designs.

Xbox_One_X_Screenshot_05.0.jpg
If you told me the same person who designed the DSi designed this stunner, I'd believe it. I haven't had too much hands/eyes-on time with one in person, but there's a timeless quality to the X that makes me think that, in a decade, it'll still be a beautiful box.

MisterHero

Oct 25, 2017
195278-nintendo_wii_cbcu9q.jpg

The color and sharp edges were modern and the slanted stand was futuristic.

The controller was perfect for Nintendo's games, even if the evolution into the Joy-Cons was necessary.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
My Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle. So comfy despite having so many hat switches and buttons.

Ghost250

Mar 19, 2018
900x.jpg

Original PlayStation 2 is definitely up there as one of my favorites, the console looks so clean and the blue color gave it such an edgy look imo, that is something the slim PS2 just couldn't replicate for me. Once you had it, it felt like you got something that was bound to give you loads of entertainment, which it did.

s-l600.jpg

The GameCube design was also a great one for me, really good form factor and easily transportable due to the handle. It didn't make the console look tacky either, it was rather complementing to all the other intricacies of the system.

OP
OP
Derachi

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
PS Vita's design is practically everything I wanted out of a handheld. Big screen, reasonable controls, not awkward to hold. It may have had a pocket problem with the analog sticks but I didn't mind it. It's just too bad sony decided to shoot it as it exited the gate with the proprietary storage.

I've never owned one myself, but I did like the Vita everytime I could get my hands on one. It was never really an inexpensive unit, but it (at least, the original OLED model) always looked and felt like it should cost more than it did. It had a luxurious, premium look and feel that, while it's not exactly my style, is definitely a design I can appreciate and enjoy.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
I have to go with switch and pro controllers when docked. The whole hybrid thing is just so convenient.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Interesting thread.

Taking all 3 in the title into effect, MS should be applauded because the first thing that came to mind is, I cant say the One S, X can I? lol.

I never really liked the PS One design after the PS2 came out, but for this topic it might get my vote.

And thinking about it now the phat ass PS3 can get a vote.

Handhelds, really hard to say. I played a Game Boy before, never owned one. I had a Vita. I had a 3DS amd 2DS.

I might give the vote to the Sega Genesis.

Its hard to say for me.

I mean,

187.jpg

The 8800 GTX is probably the most perfect piece of gaming hardware to ever exist.

oohhhI like this answer. uh oh...graphics cards might take this to another level. lol

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
When the DSi originally released, I was in my late teens, so to look "cool" and "mature," I chose the black one, as did all of my friends. As an adult... well, the black one still looks phenomenal, I can't help but wish I could at least see that beautiful blue in person.
Aw! I hope someday you meet that fated person that owns a blue DSi :P

My fav colors always been blue so that's why I went for it, I was in college at the time. To be fair the black is still sexy.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
yeah I came in here to post a black DSi

that thing was nice

for me there isn't another piece of hardware that looks as stylish as that. it's sleek, understated, modern. ergonomics are decent, certainly better than the 3DS models for me, but it wasn't earth shattering in that area but from a design and aesthetic standpoint it's just so good.

OP
OP
Derachi

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
Aw! I hope someday you meet that fated person that owns a blue DSi :P

My fav colors always been blue so that's why I went for it, I was in college at the time. To be fair the black is still sexy.
I might just hit up eBay if they aren't too expensive haha. Weird question, and you might not even have these in order to check, but how does the blue of the DSi compare to the Neon Blue Joy-Cons? If it's a close match, I'll probably get one just to match those. It's an absolutely gorgeous colour.

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can't get behind any of the PS designs other than the Vita, which was excellent. I just think the PS2/3 look dumb and the PS4 is form over function. Some of my favorites are the Wii, Gamecube or the X. That Switch posted above is pretty damn nice as well. Nintendo, overall, has a nice history of quality console designs, unlike Sony/Microsoft.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I might just hit up eBay if they aren't too expensive haha. Weird question, and you might not even have these in order to check, but how does the blue of the DSi compare to the Neon Blue Joy-Cons? If it's a close match, I'll probably get one just to match those. It's an absolutely gorgeous colour.
Sadly I have the black joycon switch >_< even though I really wanted the neon one, at launch the black were just more available it seemed.

I could see that blue being somewhat similar though.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
I can't get behind any of the PS designs other than the Vita, which was excellent. I just think the PS2/3 look dumb and the PS4 is form over function. Some of my favorites are the Wii, Gamecube or the X. That Switch posted above is pretty damn nice as well. Nintendo, overall, has a nice history of quality console designs, unlike Sony/Microsoft.

Dammit I forgot about the Wii.

Oh man, lol.

dr.rocktopus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Original PS4 is gorgeous. I love hard edges and corners on consoles; the PS4 looks agressive yet sleek. Ergonomically it's pretty bad - the small access to front USBs my biggest complaint. But since you don't always have to handle a console these days, I can forgive it.

I really like the PS2s. They all are so sleek. I wish they kept that lovely blue accenting.

When I think about it, the original NES is a very clean design for the time. Not a lot of forms like the SNES that followed. Again all hard lines; the details and variations were in the colours.

That being said, the N64 is all curves. It's like the same evolution cars went through going from the square 80s to the curvaceous 90s. It flows from surface to surface, again unlike the SNES. Touch points feel solid. I love the coldness of the fonts. The dots over the controller ports indicating which port is which. The density of it.

I really like the Xbox One. The original is pretty big, but MS did not fuck around after the issues with the 360. The power button actually works so I don't mind lack of physical feedback. It's quiet, it's cool. It feels substantial. The venting is gorgeous with so much definition to it in the depth of the plastic.

The Dreamcast is very close for me, but I don't like the squares circling the disc lid. I like how small it is - it enforces how futuristic it was at the time given how large the previous generation consoles were. To be honest, I like the box art of the original console release - the out of focus image and colouring make it look foreign and mysterious, which works with the launch marketing.

sega-dreamcast-box.png

Deleted member 29195

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
There's something about the DS Lite that brings me so much joy. Maybe it's staying up all night to finish Phoenix Wright 3 or just the overall quality of the design, but whenever I think of a console's design, I always think of the little thing.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
gwiNGUB.jpg

PS1

Incredibly iconic. Nothing after it besides maybe the GameCube ever stood out again. It was all just different boxes after it.

oPvpCWi.jpg

PSP Go

Such a premium fucking product. A thing of beauty. It never felt cramped like the GB Micro did.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Maaaaan the DSi is a looker. So sleek and without noticeable gaps. Nice and rectangular. I'm super partial to the bergandy DSi. Switch is second to it in terms of handhelds.

For consoles I gotta give it up to the PS2 Slim and Wii. PS2 was sooo compact and Wii felt modern and the glow of the disk tray was really nice.

For controllers I'll go with the GCN controller. Many don't like it but it's ideal for one of my favorite franchises Smash and honestly it's one of the only controllers ever made that doesn't give me hand cramps hours in. Same for the Switch Pro, which is second for me.