ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
I've always seen conflicting perspective online whenever the topic of Nintendo first-party software prices comes up.

It's been long established that Nintendo likes to keep their first-party games at full retail price pretty much in perpetuity throughout a given console's lifespan. Over the Switch's long and prosperous lifecycle, Nintendo has never even elected to release a discounted "Selects" line of physical versions of their games. That means that nearly all of their games, regardless of when they initially released, have maintained their original $60 price tag indefinitely. The only occasional exception to this is when Nintendo will authorize some slight digital or physical discounts (~15% usually) for a limited time to coincide with some holiday or overarching sale event.

AW2V5RFWCArLoRcdZTz6h4-1200-80.jpg

Is Metroid Dread still worth $60 retail even years after release? I think so.

Nintendo has stated before that they try not to deflate the value of their games, and I think that they've been largely successful in doing so these last seven years. After all, Nintendo tends to do things differently from their peers in the industry, and I feel like this Switch generation has really been a convincing realization of the effectiveness of that approach. They have long been the only console manufacturer who doesn't sell their hardware at a loss, and their games remain full price indefinitely while most other publishers end up steeply discounting their products weeks or months after release.

I personally think that it's no only an effective way of preserving the perceived (and measurable) value of their work, but I also think it only works in conjunction with high-quality and evergreen games.

I know that not everyone feels that way, however. So I'd like for this thread to be a space in which we can hash out those differences in perspective.

To some, Nintendo's pricing strategy might be perceived as unfair or anti-consumer to some degree. To others like myself it's viewed as an effective business practice as well as a testament to the power of quality software to hold its value.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
My opinion is that it's based on supply and demand and they, like other companies, charge what they can get away with based on the demand for their products.

Supple

Aug 1, 2022
NYC
I don't like it but I think it's a smart move on their part to keep their first-party games and accessories from getting devalued quickly.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
It's the reason I will probably never play many of their games (like Metroid Dread you mentioned), I don't have $60 for games I'm not sure I'll love. I don't mind it though, there are tons of other things to play.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
To some, Nintendo's pricing strategy might be perceived as unfair or anti-consumer to some degree.
To be fair, anybody that uses the terms "unfair" or "anti-consumer" to describe their pricing strategies is unqualified to have a discussion about the pricing strategies in the first place. So it's probably good that you disagree with them. That said, I personally wish their major titles would go on sale more often. It's just wishful thinking in the end, though, because they know they've got the quality goods and people are going to show up and pay retail price to get them.

Bardeh

Jun 15, 2018
It sucks and makes me far less enthusiastic to buy their hardware. Well, I say 'less enthusiastic', I just don't buy their hardware.

Ultra

Oct 30, 2017
It sucks but it is what it is. You can bet that others would do so if they could do Nintendo numbers without major price cuts.

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
I don't think it's a sign of a healthy market when companies invest hundreds of millions of dollars in products that get their prices slashed by 30% or more within a year or two (or a couple of months in a lot of cases).

It's a band-aid for unsustainability, and that lack of sustainability is what drives the volatility in this industry.

Mango Pilot

Alt account
Banned
Apr 8, 2024
I hate it. Keeps me from buying games. I get why they do it and it works for them.

Some what alleviated with physical games but going digital on nintendo games sucks for someone like me who never buys games day one

Yonafunu

Oct 26, 2017
Honestly, I very rarely buy Nintendo games long after release anyway. If I want the game it's either at (or close to) release or not at all, so it doesn't make a difference to me. That said, I imagine I might buy more if they were heavily discounted, so I can't really talk.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
It's the reason I will probably never play many of their games (like Metroid Dread you mentioned), I don't have $60 for games I'm not sure I'll love. I don't mind it though, there are tons of other things to play.

That is definitely part of their draw though... if you already own a switch, you'll probably want the 1st party games so you're more willing to pay up.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
The thing is they can get away with it. It doesn't have to do with strategy and it mostly applies to first-party titles. I buy third party Switch games for roughly the same discounted price I do with any other publisher for other platforms most of the time.

Every single publisher would keep the prices high for as long as they could if their sales didn't tank a month or two post launch (sometimes even earlier).

Mango Pilot

Alt account
Banned
Apr 8, 2024
I don't think it's a sign of a healthy market when companies invest hundreds of millions of dollars in products that get their prices slashed by 30% or more within a year or two (or a couple of months in a lot of cases).

It's a band-aid for unsustainability, and that lack of sustainability is what drives the volatility in this industry.
Huh? No its not.
Its just price discriminations for different market segments. People who buy at different times get different prices. Just like airline tickets, hotels, and other markets.

yyr

Nov 14, 2017
White Plains, NY
I don't like it but I think it's a smart move on their part to keep their first-party games and accessories from getting devalued quickly.

Yep, this is me also.

It sucks for those of us who would like to pay less, but as a for-profit company, they have no reason to do anything different when this strategy is obviously working for them.

It sucks and makes me far less enthusiastic to buy their hardware. Well, I say 'less enthusiastic', I just don't buy their hardware.

It's worth mentioning that most 3rd-party games on Switch are usually discounted about as much as they are on other platforms (although sometimes, it takes a bit longer). I understand why you'd be inclined to skip it if you were uninterested in Nintendo's own catalog, but it's the only way to get a lot of 3rd party/indie games in a truly portable format (outside of perhaps the more expensive Steam Deck).

Het_Nkik

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
They've been doing it so long I'm completely used to it and buy most of their games day 1 without waiting for a sale because I know a sale isn't coming. It'll be a harder pill to swallow if their games all start costing $70 next gen.

It's funny because Sony is doing this with PS5 (launch and near-launch titles like Demon's Souls and Rift Apart are still $70 with rare sales) and I completely hate it. But that's because I waited to buy first party Sony games for around $20 from PS2 to PS4 so paying full price feels weird on PS5.

TrojanAg

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
As long as people keep paying, they won't change their strategy. As a collector, it is nice to know that my Nintendo games will retain value over time. As a consumer, it does make things difficult since everyone else drops their prices dramatically after a month or two.

Alcoremortis

Oct 25, 2017
Tbf I have loved every first-party Nintendo game I've bought. I'll check to see if I can get a physical on sale first, but I haven't regretted paying full price for anything.

Mango Pilot

Alt account
Banned
Apr 8, 2024
They've been doing it so long I'm completely used to it and buy most of their games day 1 without waiting for a sale because I know a sale isn't coming. It'll be a harder pill to swallow if their games all start costing $70 next gen.

It's funny because Sony is doing this with PS5 (launch and near-launch titles like Demon's Souls and Rift Apart are still $70 with rare sales) and I completely hate it. But that's because I waited to buy first party Sony games for around $20 from PS2 to PS4 so paying full price feels weird on PS5.
I mean to be fair they're games do go on sale. Just usually only 20% or so and rarely.

Dread for example as been on sale for $41.99 three times since launch on the e-Shop https://www.dekudeals.com/items/metroid-dread

Saganator

Oct 26, 2017
I'm too ADHD with games, I often bounce off game for no real reason other than losing the urge to play it, and it can happen rather quickly, so I'd throw a lot of money down the drain if I still bought their hardware and games.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Works for them. Some series I'll wait to get on sale/used, some I'll get day 1. Kind of dreading some of these late Switch games going up in price though, like Another Code.

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
MSRP might be €60 (or higher) but most Switch games seem to be sold for 42-51 euros (sometimes even at launch, kinda depends on the title).

Downside to the niceness of the eShop and digital is obviously that Nintendo doesn't have to compete and can just keep it at 60 and only discount selectively

Main reason why I still kinda prefer physical even though with switch 2 i am probably going full digital.

More back on topic: I don't think that videogames necessarily have to devalue over time. Most of my favorite games are a few years or even decades old and if needed I would spend money to rebuy them. Its art, even if its not a scarce good like a painting.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
They should be more generous when they have seasonal sales, but I'm totally fine with keeping their games at $60.

Hell, I feel better buying Nintendo games day one because I know I won't feel dumb in couple months when they get a price drop to half of what they were. Can't really say that about too many other companies.

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
I think they could do bigger sales on their digital titles a few years out from release and might see stronger volumes like that, especially for smaller franchises. In the near term don't think it makes sense to entrench a Ubisoft style wait for sale approach, but when you're 4 years or more after launch you're probably not moving many copies at 30% off. Not all of their stuff is evergreen.

03-AALIYAH

Jul 21, 2023
I'm very much of the opinion that Nintendo is one of the few sane editors who do not treat their products like worthless shovelware.

NukeRunner

Feb 8, 2024
It's a conflicting subject, I feel the medium is becoming too devalued. People want more graphics, more budget, more everything, they want it sooner, cheaper, but better. This is resulting in a problem with games having their art form impacted by microtransactions, DLC, season passes, loot boxes, battle passes, and more research being done to find ways to juice more out of each product. The perspective that games should be cheap in the face of ever growing budgets, is a direct attack on the types of games I enjoy most, unique, creative and tactful experiences, usually in the single player domain.

As such, I do back Nintendo in their method of valuing software and creating software that is up to the standard of their cost, Nintendo rarely misses or includes predatory elements in their games, and as such I can buy their stuff with confidence knowing I'm going to get a high quality creation.

With that said, I do feel they go a bit overboard, the reality is many titles like Kirby, Fire Emblem, Donkey Kong, etc would likely thrive longer term if they were allowed to be sold at a budget line, at least 30 bucks or something. It feels a bit like Nintendo is too obsessed at making everything stay expensive forever, and I do think it's to a fault at times, but maybe they know better than me in terms of the concept of conditioning.

Some years ago a friend wanted me to try Destiny 2 with them, it was around the time it went F2P. I was having a good time briefly, smooth mechanics, nice visuals, seemed like a good quality game, however I was met so quickly with 'marketing' stuff that it killed the whole experience. Arrive at an NPC? Need some kind of expansion pass to play, then I arrived at a cave and it told me I need a season pass or something. Even games like Halo Infinite got slagged big time simply because it didn't include good progression implementation, it wasn't sufficient that the game was simply very good in multiplayer.

These phone game hooks, must fill the bar, ads, gacha stuff, etc, make me very much prefer to stay in my safe Nintendo bubble and avoid all this bullshit, however long that last.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
they've no obligation to bring their software down in value. nintendo's in a unique postion they're subsidized by themselves not a broader corp (xbox, sony) or platform (steam, mobile)

i mean, do I like i have to pay almost full price switch games from half a decade ago? no. but that's just how their ecosystem works and nobody's entitled to anything

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
It works out for them. I try to get any deal on them when I can. Physical only.

slothrop

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 28, 2019
USA
The price things for what they will sell for. Perfectly fine for non essential entertainment goods which are what video games are.

Windrunner

Sly
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This just seems like an issue for those wedded to the idea of buying everything digital. It's been relatively easy to get first party games for less than £40 even at launch.

Physical stays winning.

vio55555

Apr 11, 2024
I think the most egregious example of overpricing in recent memory is Luigi's Mansion 2 HD for $60. That one really seems questionable with a better game in LM 3 often for sale for much less now and not doing it as a LM 1+2 pack for $50-60.

But it's Nintendo and right now the demand for Nintendo games is through the roof with the success of Switch so they can name their price and audiences will pay. They can charge premium pricing for their exclusives because Mario, Kart, Smash, Zelda, Pokemon, Animal Crossing, Splatoon, Pikmin, etc. are seeing sky-high popularity that nobody else can match.

I'm generally okay with most of their pricing because there will be discounts in time up to 40-60% and the library is so big that I don't think anybody should be pressured to get things on day 1 unless you're a huge fan of something (only Pokemon is really an exception to that because of the nature of multi-play there and how fast they want to release games for that).

Walnut

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Austin, TX
I have a hard time looking at this sort of thing from any POV except that of the business, since ultimately it's a business decision.

It prevents the dilution of their brand and they have enough demand at that price point to make a profit on nearly every release. I think it's a fine strategy for them, but not one that every developer could copy since they need their brand strength to accomplish it.

That said as a consumer I do wish I could get more $30 Nintendo games. The really old ones do tend to float down into that range since the Switch came around but it takes a long time.

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
It would be nice if old game prices came down more regularly. Day 1, day 1000. They're rigid. But I have no problem buying a game at whatever price point. If I want it, I'll buy it.

NukeRunner

Feb 8, 2024
I think the most egregious example of overpricing in recent memory is Luigi's Mansion 2 HD for $60. That one really seems questionable with a better game in LM 3 often for sale for much less now and not doing it as a LM 1+2 pack for $50-60.

But it's Nintendo and right now the demand for Nintendo games is through the roof with the success of Switch so they can name their price and audiences will pay. They can charge premium pricing for their exclusives because Mario, Kart, Smash, Zelda, Pokemon, Animal Crossing, Splatoon, Pikmin, etc. are seeing sky-high popularity that nobody else can match.

I'm generally okay with most of their pricing because there will be discounts in time up to 40-60% and the library is so big that I don't think anybody should be pressured to get things on day 1 unless you're a huge fan of something (only Pokemon is really an exception to that because of the nature of multi-play there and how fast they want to release games for that).

I do agree this pricing seems suspect at best, I LOVED the 3DS game and it doesn't look that good on Switch. If it was given a full remake to bring it near LM3 that would have been fine, but as is, it's definitely overpriced based on how it looks. Metroid Prime Remastered being the best looking game on the system at 40 bucks doesn't help.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
I mean it's hard for me to be too mad because at least they're a lot better at variable pricing in the first place, and none of their games are the £70 stupidity here. I think only TotK I paid more than £40 for, but not much more. Meanwhile the best you're looking at for PS5 games is £55, and with the first party Sony titles, they aren't exactly dropping quick either.

If they start charging £70 next gen for games, then I'd maybe be more unhappy about their games keeping their prices for longer.

Jakenbakin

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Jun 17, 2018
There is no reason for a games value to devaluate within a handful of years unless it is the market dictating it or some kind of publisher strategy.

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
Huh? No its not.
Its just price discriminations for different market segments. People who buy at different times get different prices. Just like airline tickets, hotels, and other markets.
I think that price strategy is *creating* market segments that wouldn't exist otherwise: the people who would have considered buying a game full price but know it'll be on sale before too long.

It's definitely changed my buying habits a lot.

KamenSenshi

Nov 27, 2017
It's Based on what they think they can sell stuff for. I'm not paying 60 for anything so it's fine for me. Unfortunately that means that if don't other company decides to raise prices again that they might for certain games which is lame for the people that play those games, such as Zelda.

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
I love it. Recently got around to finishing up ToTK more than one year after release and yesterday sold it for just over what I paid originally.

If you complain about pricing and then insist on either buying digital or holding onto games forever then that's a problem with your purchasing habits, not a pricing problem

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Sometimes I think about Metroid Prime Remastered and how it was basically the only significant game in the Switch era that Nintendo sold at a discount ($39.99), and it still sold like crap. No one cares about Metroid.

I hate to say it, but it might've been a better business move to sell it at $60. They probably would have sold it to exactly the same people, but at $20 more per person.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
I paid $74.99 USD in 1996 for Mario Kart 64

Lets just say it could be a lot worse
Is that what the MSRP was for MK64 in 1997 dollars, or is that $75 figure what it would be today? I always hear N64 games were expensive, and I often wonder what my family was paying to buy them back then. As a kid, I didn't pay attention to such things.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Sometimes I think about Metroid Prime Remastered and how it was basically the only significant game in the Switch era that Nintendo sold at a discount ($39.99), and it still sold like crap. No one cares about Metroid.

I hate to say it, but it might've been a better business move to sell it at $60. They probably would have sold it to exactly the same people, but at $20 more per person.
It definitely didn't sell like crap. 1 million for a game that's been available on multiple Nintendo consoles is a perfectly fine result.

NukeRunner

Feb 8, 2024
It definitely didn't sell like crap. 1 million for a game that's been available on multiple Nintendo consoles is a perfectly fine result.

Crap might be a strong word, but I doubt they were pleased with the outcome considering numerous more expensive simple port jobs sold much more. I'm also referring to in contrast to their original releases, Skyward Sword was a basic port of a mediocre Zelda game at 60 bucks and still outsold the original release, Prime barely could muster 1/3 of that as a full visual remake at 40 bucks, it definitely is a shame.