What is your primary Switch controller?

• Joycons (including with the joycon grip)

Votes: 148 13.9%
  • Pro controller

Votes: 712 66.9%
  • 3rd party pro controller

Votes: 114 10.7%
  • 3rd party joycons

Votes: 49 4.6%
  • Other

Votes: 42 3.9%

• Total voters

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
My controller is an 8bitdo Ultimate

51LoPDvPtbL.jpg

My joycons are the Coiorvis Joycons (basically the Hori Split Pad Pro, but with wireless support).

51aO4bamE7L._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_FMwebp_.jpg

The only thing I use my official Pro controller or joycons for is amiibo scanning.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
8bitDo Ultimate with hall effect sticks. Use it for PC and Switch
This. 8bitdo upstaging Nintendo in controllers here tbh.

HORI Split Pad Compact for handheld, Split Pad Pro before I got that. Definitely recommend either of the HORI Split pads

I'm playing TotK in handheld with Joycons because of the gyro

My launch day Pro Controller recently started drifting randomly. I am probably going to open it and use compressed air to see clearing dust helps. I looked into replacing the stick and see it requires soldering, which I could do, but would rather not.

RPG_Fanatic

Oct 25, 2017
Good old Pro Controller mostly (docked). Though if I am playing portable I use the attached joy-cons.

Nintenleo

Nov 9, 2017
Italy
Pro controller, I got two of them. I never spent so much money on controllers until Switch came along: two Pro controller, an extra pair of Splatoon 2 colored Joy-Cons and a SNES NSO controller. Looking back I have no idea why. I probably got the extra Joy-Cons just for ARMS split-screen.

Boopers

Nov 1, 2020
Vermont usa
Pro controller, I got two of them. I never spent so much money on controllers until Switch came along: two Pro controller, an extra pair of Splatoon 2 colored Joy-Cons and a SNES NSO controller. Looking back I have no idea why. I probably got the extra Joy-Cons just for ARMS split-screen.
Yeah! I've bought three extra pairs of joycons (plus the ones that came with my OG switch and OLED switch), a pro controller, an SNES controller, and an N64 controller.

Thinking about getting the pastel joycons! They look so cute. (Update: just ordered them lol)

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Pro controller has been my primary, but I recently bought a PXN controller and I really like it. It has all the regular Pro controller functions, (Wake, gyro, amiibo) plus turbo and programmable buttons. They're normally $60 but I got mine on sale for $40. I will probably buy a couple more of the cheaper models (without programmable buttons) for my kids to use.

logan_cadfgs

Oct 28, 2017
absolutely loved my Pro controller, but the bitch started drifting on me and I got tired of opening it up to sort it out. Now I use an 8bitdo Ultimate with the Hall effect sticks. Hopefully it holds up 🤞

logan_cadfgs

Oct 28, 2017

Got one of these too and it's pretty comfy.

The dealbreaker, though, was those damn analog triggers — too sensitive! I couldn't rest my lil fingers on them because of accidental presses.

Apparently there's some kinda button combo to adjust this, but it didn't feel any different. 8bitdo's got analog triggers too, but you can adjust them over a wide range. So the 8bitdo wins, even though it isn't as comfy as the Gulikit :(

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
Pro. But N's manufacturing quality control has gotten so poor. The most recent pro controller I got, it took several exchanges to get one that wasn't drifting out of the box.
Really want to try 8bitdo ultimate (but I've seen gyro doesn't work well when using it on PC).

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
8bitdo Pro 2. Most compfy controller I've used. I also use it with my PC, Deck, and tablet. It has a switch on the back to easily change between modes that keeps the sync, and has multiple profiles for remapping. Along with 2 back buttons. The only downside is you have to use your phone/computer to make the remappings.

One of the best uses for remapping is the Nintendo Switch online emulators without it affecting everything. Just switch it to the second profile and bam.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Joycons, almost always one in each hand.

I cannot play the system handheld any more as the left slot charges that joycon but constantly drops the input signal.

I also still need to mod my pro controller as I want to like it - but the dpad is utter garbage. Playing something like Picross is maddening as it's always going a different direction than what I press.
Holy shit I am glad I am not the only one with this problem! I thought maybe it was something due to the age of my launch Switch, then I got the OLED with it's new Joycons and STILL got the same thing after a month.

Got the HORI Split Pad Pro and later Compact and they're so much better... Because they address this flaw and have a piece of plastic that actually supports the system outside of the Joycon rail.

Easily the Pro. If the d-pad were better and it had analogue triggers, I'd buy so many of them and use them with every console. It would be my go-to PC controller.

But, it doesn't have those two things, so...

Those face buttons are love and life. Great ergonomics. And it has a decent battery life.

fracas

Oct 27, 2017
I have one of those skull and co grip cases so I'm cool with joycons now. I use the pro controller on the rare occasion I dock my switch.

Adam_Roman

Oct 25, 2017
Split joycons, but I have these plastic grips they pop into and it makes them thicker. Arms at my sides, fully relaxed. I've got a pro controller and some 8bitdo ones but nothing beats being able to play with my arms at my sides.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
Split third party JoyCon so I can play with hands down at my sides or far apart. Most comfortable way to play.

Khasim

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm using the 8BitDo adapter and my DualSense. It's a bit finicky and it sucks that I can't see the battery level, and the controller once died on me during combat, causing my death, but it was way cheaper than buying the Pro controller and the default joy-cons are trash.

player23

Mar 12, 2022
I have the NexiGo third-party joycons which are great for my big clumsy hands. My old WiiU xbox controller adapter works with the switch too, but rarely use that and like the NexiGo

Chimpzy

Dec 5, 2018
I mostly play handheld, so my pair of white joycons. On occasions when I play docked I use a pro controller.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
I really love the Pro controller, I both got the Xenoblade one and the Monster Hunter Rise version or just in handheld mode with a Hori Grip.

VodkaFX

May 31, 2018
Pro controller when docked. Joycons if portable.

Pro controller is probably one of the most comfortable controllers I have ever used. The long battery life is a plus too.

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
Pro controller, alongside the Xbox series/Elite controller I'd say it's one of the most comfortable pads I've ever used.

mnemonicj

Oct 27, 2017
Honduras
I think the Switch Pro is the best feeling, grip, ergonomic, etc. controller ever created. It only lacks paddles. I use an Xbone Elite with a Brook adapter.

Shift Breaker

Oct 25, 2017
Er, lots. As a main (depending on where I'm playing the Switch) I use either a standard pro controller or an 8BitDo SN30 Pro+, with a preference to the latter because it has buttons on the back.

1.1_2000x2000_ProductImageTile_Switch_ProController_OutOfBox_enGB_v1_100q
3568326-sns30proplus.jpg

If I'm using the Pro+ and need amiibo scanning (basically using amiibo cards for BotW/TotK) or specific joy-con games (Switch Sports, Ring Fit Adventure, etc.) I also use the Skyward Sword joycons, with my standard neon ones remaining attached to the console, which is inside a case.

61NzeoMf7XL.jpg

When it comes to playing classic games, I use a Retro Fighters Brawler64 (because it's cheaper than a N64 controller and actually available. Feels a bit cheaper though, but their controllers have been getting better as they go along), an 8BitDo M30 (feels sacrilege using a Mega Drive-styled controller for SNES/GB games, but it feels so damn good to use).

8197xU0IBcL.jpg
613PXtnMmJL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

I think that's it? I have too many controllers.

And I want mooooooore.

Hell Egret

Aug 19, 2022
Big fan of the 8bitdo Ultimate. Had no issues with it for several months now. I use an M30 for retro games that call for intensive dpad use. Back paddles on twin stick controllers should be mandatory at this point, it's so much better than reaching for bumpers. I actually like the joycons quite a bit. After 2 years the left joycon had started to drift, so I put hall effect sticks in them and now they feel great. I'd love to see more split controllers in the future for ergonomic reasons.

Last edited:

AppleBlade

Nov 15, 2017
Connecticut
Hori Split Pad Pro... In my 35 years of gaming this is the first time that I have ever STRONGLY preferred a 3rd party controller over the 1st party. After playing with the Hori controls, I feel like I'm a severe disadvantage when playing with joycons.

KezayJS1

Apr 25, 2021
Though I use and prefer the pro, out of convenience I most often use the Joycons and not with the grip either. Reminds me of the Wiimote and Nunchuk days.

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
Switch Lite user here. Its the best way to play. Till I get drift then I'll just cry I guess.

flaxknuckles

Oct 25, 2017
I use the Retroflag because it looks like a GameCube controller. Everything in it is great except for Gyro which has very low sensitivity. Might try out the Binbok joycons eventually.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
My Switch hasn't left the dock since 2017. Just kinda stopped doing portable gaming with the 3DS gen. Pro Controller on the couch throughout its lifespan for me.

In fact the only time I ever even used the joycons at all was for Ringfit Adventure and Skyward Sword HD.