Which JRPG trope is the worst?

• Utterly soulless Fetch / Material Gathering Side Quests

Votes: 321 24.4%
  • Loli or Children Party Members (ugh!!!)

Votes: 802 61.1%
  • Lack of deaths (Almost nobody dies except maybe 1 or 2 side character trope)

Votes: 95 7.2%
  • Child Protagonists

Votes: 243 18.5%
  • Silent Protagonists (Controversial and subjective)

Votes: 188 14.3%
  • Harem (1 guy / 8 girls)

Votes: 394 30.0%
  • Average plain villager protagonist with no experience saves the world

Votes: 69 5.3%

• Total voters

Zutter

Oct 19, 2018
Besides the sexualization of children or characters with child like appearances I don't mind most of these.

I think the (usually pervy) old dude or the "funny" bro of the party with hardly anything of significance to say are far more annoying.

Also agree with always sticking the healer roles to women as well as the main protagonist always being an effin swordsmen.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, can we also scrap the everyone over 30 years is a creepy, old geezer with one foot in the grave trope?

Nama

A Big Deal
Nov 2, 2017
Constant anime grunting didn't make the list? I'd throw 30 and up year olds being ancient and useless in there too.

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can we add flashbacks to events that happened less than 10 minutes ago
"I still remember what Aeana said..."
♪ ♪ ♪
Captura-1.jpg

"I will never forget those words..."

Deleted member 179

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Constant anime grunting didn't make the list? I'd throw 30 and up year olds being ancient and useless in there too.
Was about to say the same, the constant grunting in FF7R was the only thing that pulled me out of it sometimes lol.

To go with the options available, I'll say lack of deaths because the others CAN be done well. Like a loli character is fine with me as long as they aren't being used as some sex object and are actually interesting. But I hate when there are zero stakes.
Captura-1.jpg

LMAO

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Pseudo-medieval kingdoms fighting for no reason.

"And suddenly the Kingdom of Grosia decided to attack southern Kingdom of Lenaria!"
"These Kingdoms have always been at war with each other throughout the history"

And when they try to come up with a sound reason it's usually attackers monarch is influenced by "dark powers".

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Lolis, Harem and anything that involves the gross objectification of women of different ages, but specially the ones that are "barely legal" or secretly a 300-year-old dragon that just so happens to look like a 14-year-old girl.

This shit permeates everything. Even the last few Digimon games are ridden with that, with scenes that are just downright obscene. Fucking Digimon. It's absolutely awful.

♪ ♪ ♪
Captura-1.jpg

Oh my God LMAO

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
Can you make it 3?

-Loli or Children Party Members (ugh!!!)
-Child Protagonists
-Harem (1 guy / 8 girls)

Actually a 4th (and 5th) as well; the need to appeal to otakus and shippers.

A jrpg with a fully adult party that isn't just there for the sex appeal. That would be nice.

aett

Oct 27, 2017
Northern California
Oh, can we also scrap the everyone over 30 years is a creepy, old geezer with one foot in the grave trope?

This, along with "teenagers can already do superhuman feats of strength that should totally alter the way the world works but somehow only applies to combat" and "young adults are hardened veterans with even more extreme powers".

There's some really good stuff in the Trails of Cold Steel games, but the story gets ridiculous with the amount of times that this scene plays out: The students meet a ridiculously powerful (and smug) villain, there's a tough battle, but the villain is completely unscathed and taunts them before teleporting away. (And yeah, this happens in a lot of other JRPGs, but it gets crazy with how often it happens in the Cold Steel games in particular.)

Deleted member 46493

Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Every scene needing every character's input. It seems often in JRPGs cutscenes or regular dialogue has to include everyone's input even if they're just saying the same thing in their own "voice". With worse JRPGs, it's just another excuse to hammer in the character's gimmicks.

Actually a 4th (and 5th) as well; the need to appeal to otakus and shippers.
Unfortunately too much of a money source to ignore.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
literally every poll option is worth getting rid of.

bonus to scantily clad ladies wearing ridiculous anime boob armor, that shit needs to stop.

Aug 28, 2019
All the pervy shit, but after that, the insipid dialogue that is mostly just grunts, apologies, childish outbursts, and other repetitive banalities, all weakly stitched together by someone who has never had a conversation before.

Dr. Mario

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
I'm surprised the things I picked are some of the least community picked. Maybe I don't play these games enough. Maybe I played too many of them?

I immediately picked the average villager protagonist, who will invariably be cast out before turning into the chosen one. Bonuspoints if he's an amnesiac. I get the hate for blatant sexualization (and definitely for minors share it), but I can usually ignore it reasonably well, it's fan service and if you're not a fan you can mostly choose not to be serviced. But I do play JRPG's for the story, and if the main framing of the story is the exact same as the games I already played thirty years ago, there's really no point to invest time in it.

Speaking of investing time, my second choice was fetch quests. Again I understand why they're in there, because the usual otaku is 16 and doesn't have any money and these mechanics certainly triple the actual play time. But even with no money you must have a limited time on this earth and a little voice inside your head that anything, even cleaning the underside of your shoes, is more important in life than fetching thirty items of some contraption. So why must we pain ourselves?

Oct 25, 2017
All of them? But if I have to narrow it down to two votes, it's the loli characters and the harem bullshit.

I absolutely fucking hate infantilised female characters. You know the kind. They look like a child, dress like they want to put me on some list just by looking at them and they have a distinct mannerism that the creators so desperately want us to think is cutesy but I think is repulsively creepy.

Oh what about the moments where the male hero finds himself in an accidental situation with a female character and she responds in the most predictable, tsundere way possible by calling him a pervert and never letting go of the grudge until a torturous dozen hours later or so?

Of course we must always have a womanising guy who loves to drink, party and gamble who thinks he's suave and has a way with words but is just a creep who looks like the poster boy for why we have the #MeToo movement.

Overly exaggerated anime body movements utterly get on my nerves. The guys can act fairly normal but the women? Oh she'll be bending forward in the middle of a conversation suggestively while the camera deliberately pivots to right in front of her. Maybe she'll tilt her head to the side to be cute and do that thing with her arms like she desperately wants to twirl on the spot.

You can also be a murderous, psychopathic bastard but the story still seems hellbent on redeeming this character, damned the consequences both thematic and moral.

Don't you dare hit the age of 30 because now you're considered an old timer. That joke about you being a cranky old man whose back will give any day now will certainly never be a dead, beaten horse.

Honestly, I think the genre should be razed to the ground and rebuilt completely. It's not going to happen anytime soon, unfortunately. Fuck, I think the Trails series hits every note mentioned in this thread.

jay

Oct 25, 2017
Funny, average protagonist saving the world is much more interesting than being the chosen one.

ΑGITΩ

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Not a fan of silent protagonist. They want you to convey yourself through that character, then why not give dialog options with voice work that would influence the story somewhat?

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

Deleted member 46493

Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Unfortunately this thread proves the JRPG market is part of the greater otaku market. Most companies (IMO all except SE) only care what the Japanese market wants, and they usually want mot of these things or don't mind them.

Oct 25, 2017
Every scene needing every character's input. It seems often in JRPGs cutscenes or regular dialogue has to include everyone's input even if they're just saying the same thing in their own "voice". With worse JRPGs, it's just another excuse to hammer in the character's gimmicks.

God, yes. This shit is horrible.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
I don't have a problem with kid party members, the loli pandering, however, needs to get the boot.

Oct 24, 2019
Cringey dialogue and/or awkward hard gestures during dialogue for me.

Also using gasps or "eh?"s and "eh...."s instead of actual dialogue

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
I hate every single one of these except "lack of deaths" with a raging, burning passion. But if I HAVE to choose just two, lolis and harems need to go, especially because I know it's to pander to fetishes. If the creator just so happened to envision a harem or child party member situation by accident, organically, with all of them being individual fully fleshed out characters... But you know that's not what's happening.

jotun?

Oct 28, 2017
It was better when sprites left more to the imagination. I never wanted to know that my Dragon Warrior characters were supposed to be like 5 years old.

Renteka-Bond

Chicken Chaser
Dec 28, 2017
Clearwater, Florida
*Snip*

Honestly, I think the genre should be razed to the ground and rebuilt completely. It's not going to happen anytime soon, unfortunately. Fuck, I think the Trails series hits every note mentioned in this thread.

It absolutely does. Other than the completely egregious length, the scene where 'totally-not-the-intended-love-interest' gets tsundere mad at you 5 minutes into the game, despite people in-game telling her it was stupid, I bowed out. What an awful first impression to make.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
All of the above.

plus some weird voice acting tropes. I fucking hate the 'character 1 says something shcoking ' and then 'character two does the weird grun/gasp/moan thing. Hard to describe but its in every dub and i hate it.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
Fuck anything Loli related, or some bullshit like a 900 year old dragon in a 7 year old girls body, like gross. I am okay with children party members as long as they you know are actual children and dress and act like they are actual children. Those two kids from Lost Odyssey are a good example, can't remember the names anymore.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
Protagonist being the most boring character (a superset of silent protagonist) is probably my #1. Make the protagonist have a compelling story otherwise I'm not going to enjoy playing as them!

Speaking of which, I also really dislike it when the protagonist is harem-like in the sense that he is clueless and yet all the girls are in love with him. Although I don't think I've ever actually seen a harem JRPG like the poll option, where there is only 1 guy and the other characters are girls.

adz2ka

Nov 1, 2017
The main antagonist that is built up throughout the entire game is intact a puppet for a higher celestial being that you see for about 2 minutes at the end of the game.

I think 4 Final Fantasy games are victim of this?

KmA

Oct 27, 2017

I haven't encountered this in many of the JRPGs I've played recently but this is absolutely my biggest fucking problem with all the DanganRonpa games. They ALL have to say something to insert their dumb quirk before getting to the actual trial.

Hu3

Oct 25, 2017
Child/loli characters. What a fucking bane for the rpg genere. Get rid of it ASAP.

MasonADC

Sep 28, 2018
I tried really hard but I don't see anything wrong with any of the poll options lol. I would pick the first option but I hardly find any games with soulless quests.

Shahed

Oct 27, 2017
UK, Newcastle
I chose loli and child protagonists. But they should really be the same option.

Otherwise I would have picked the harem one. Mindless fetch quests are up there too