What kind of art style do you want to see from Street Fighter VI?

• The existing art style that's already being used by SFV

Votes: 90 12.5%
  • Follow Arc System Works' lead & go full anime (3D that looks like 2D)

Votes: 296 41.2%
  • Full realism like what the recent RE games & DMC5 are doing

Votes: 55 7.7%
  • More realistic than SFV, but not to the degree of the aforementioned RE games & DMC5 (Ex: Tekken)

Votes: 90 12.5%
  • Go full anime, but not necessarily in the ASW direction (maybe something inspired by the SFV S5 art)

Votes: 187 26.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
Keep the animation quality, but go for something more resembling a 2D artstyle but fluid (not ArcSys style). Like a very stylized cel-shading. Keep it super colorful.

ThatCrazyGuy

Nov 27, 2017
Like others have said, I want something different than 5, 4, alpha or 3. Something stylized. Or shit, an extension of SF2 style (not Udon HD remix).

Actually, I really love the art style of all the Capcom characters in SVC chaos. It would be cool if that style was improved to 2022 quality and SFV level animations.

TvC style is cool too, I would be down for that.

I do want alot of costumes, so if the GG specific way limited that, I don't want that, haha.

Last edited:

Roshin

Oct 30, 2017
Sweden
Also pasting from another thread:

RE engine photoreal characters lets go

08_Zangief_Street_Fighter_Art.jpg

v2d3co5cvij11.png

You had me until Zangief and Ken. Fuck that noise, lol.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
Just going by the design of the countdown i am just guessing it'll go with a clean-graphical style as in whatever those e-sports banner graphics are like, not getting my hopes up with some striking stylized graphics, i don't want to be disappointed so i am expecting something more realistic than not. And if not and they try to be something other than what current Mortal Kombat looks like than hey that's a win in my book.

Khezu

Oct 25, 2017
Yea haha as I was looking for it I said you know what, cvs has a pretty great style. That'd be not bad as well. It's a little too realistic for what I was thinking. Like it's colours are too dark, and the lines are too strong. It's too serious looking, takes inspiration from kof.

tumblr_n4vgyud4MJ1s20ivko1_250.gif
tumblr_ncndxybcvI1r7sijxo1_500.gif

I never noticed Karin jumps headfirst into the helicopter blades.

PJTierney

Social Media Manager • EA SPORTS WRC
Verified
Mar 28, 2021
Warwick, UK
Man there's a lot of Street Fighter threads showing up this weekend, huh.

To answer the topic at hand, I really liked Street Fighter V's art style, though the characters did look a bit plasticky (hair in particular) at times. Solve that and have backgrounds run at 60fps (V does 30 for backgrounds and 60 for fighters) and I'm happy.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
Just going by the design of the countdown i am just guessing it'll go with a clean-graphical style as in whatever those e-sports banner graphics are like, not getting my hopes up with some striking stylized graphics, i don't want to be disappointed so i am expecting something more realistic than not. And if not and they try to be something other than what current Mortal Kombat looks like than hey that's a win in my book.
I'm reluctant to assume anything based on the countdown site. That looks very stock video/animation template-like to me.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm reluctant to assume anything based on the countdown site. That looks very stock video/animation template-like to me.
Let's hope. I also base it on Capcom wanting to make Luke the face of the future of Street Fighter and his deal is sports focused right now, so that's why i also assumed that that's the sort of direction they will take it.

MZZ

Nov 2, 2017
It will be impossible to please everyone at this point lol

Going for Arcsys or Anime style is like the thing that most people expect or want but probably won't be since I don't think capcom can do it justice (I'd like to be proven wrong). They are for sure not doing pixel art or hand animated no matter how much I would love for that to happen.

SF Characters would look so good in high detail anime tho. Couple that with an improved design with the backgrounds. SF6 is in a good position to blow up for the next gen.

Photorealistic with how RE Engine's biggest productions seems possible with how modern Capcom games look but I don't think Capcom thinks of SF as realistic. DMC and RE sure but not SF. That Chunli render is dope tho.

What I think it probably will be is something similar to SFIV/SFV/SFxT pre renderred intros. SFV AE intro is what I think it will look like. An evolution from the SFV style but not a huge departure. I think capcom sees SF as more of a comicbook stylized franchise and will lean more stylized designs instead of realistic.

I would like to be surprised with what they come up with tho. A departure akin to 3 to IV would be cool for the next generation.

How ya'll feel about Akuma in Tekken 7? I think he looked good there and didn't look out of place with other Tekken characters. I am afraid they might go in that direction for SF with higher quality models. I don't think I would like this direction unless its Tekken X SF.

I'm gonna miss these SF Artsyle threads. There was such a dissatisfaction with SFV artstyle that the artstyle must be nailed in the next game. SFV can look really good if you know where to look but can be really difficult to appreciate. I am so ready for 6 tho.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018

To answer the topic at hand, I really liked Street Fighter V's art style, though the characters did look a bit plasticky (hair in particular) at times. Solve that and have backgrounds run at 60fps (V does 30 for backgrounds and 60 for fighters) and I'm happy.
Idk if GG Strive is any different on PS5, but it would be nice to actually at the bare minimum to utilise the power of these new systems to make backgrounds 60

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Nothing that looks like Street Fighter 4 or 5 - I really think these games are ugly as heck. Arc Systems absolutely wrecks capcom.
But sadly, I don't see Capcom willing to sacrifice alternate costumes to go for that aesthetic. For context, every single piece of clothing has to be key-framed in able to simulate 2D animations. Considering that alternate costumes pretty much saved SFV early on in its life, it's a revenue source I don't see them parting with.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
Something that ain't like 4 or 5. Just something different. I'm done with those.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
Hyper realism would be weird as heck with SF dimensions, big hands/feet. It's not stylistic, it's part of the gameplay.

ThatCrazyGuy

Nov 27, 2017
O damn, I forgot about those SFxTeklken pre rendered cut scenes. Those looked awesome. That style/quality in game would be neat as well.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

SFV has a mix of 60 and 30fps animations for NPCs. 15fps too if they're very far away!

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
refined version of the current art style to make everyone look perfect

if not, I want something crazy and new and nothing like arc system works looking fighting games. arc system does those well and I want something that looks different

That Dude John

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
I wish they'd figure it out. They proportions they like to use never really translated well into 3D for me, even though Im a huge fan of Alpha's and SFIII's aesthetic, where most characters are also hella buff.

It's kinda how I feel about KOFXV. You're seeing these models from other angles than the front-facing/dead-on angle they were clearly designed for and that makes them look weird imo.

Shiryu

Sep 6, 2019
They should learn from arc system, Capcom hasn't made a good looking fighting game since CVS1 which is embarrassing.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It's kinda how I feel about KOFXV. You're seeing these models from other angles than the front-facing/dead-on angle they were clearly designed for and that makes them look weird imo.
That's literally how the SFV and KOFXV characters are designed and modeled. To look good from the traditional 2D gameplay angle above all else. I think it's less extreme with KOFXV, but some characters still look wonky.

lori

Oct 25, 2017
for the love of god please just use stylized shaders better than sfv

the way that game handled skin and hair is atrocious

there were issues with a ton of characters being off model too but i'm not as worried about that for 6 with the new leads

RedAhmed

Jan 9, 2018
Make it look like Tatsunoko vs Capcom's renders.

It's Shinkiro's best work imo. Ryu and Chun-Li never looked better.

latest

latest

With a little more exaggerated proportions they'd be perfect.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
Whatever the style, if the game uses any level of chromatic aberration, they can release it straight into the garbage.

erraticstatic

Jan 22, 2022
I expect the visual style to look a whole hell of a lot like SFV, maybe more in the vein of CE's opening cinematic. Also, I feel like Street Fighter, and well most Capcom fighting games, isn't the same without their exaggerated proportions in my opinion. Ryu should always have massive hands.

As for what I'd like, I'd prefer for them to lean into a style that feels directly ripped out of the Alpha games. Or even TVC's renders like here.

latest

latest

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
Make it look like Tatsunoko vs Capcom's renders.

latest

latest

Would love that.
They could also go into something more painterly i think. That's what they kinda tried with IV but it was not perfect at all, nowadays you can do crazy stuff with a nice artstyle and shaders, even without going all the ARC optimization way i think.

I love that artist who does some insane cell shading with different 2d styles.

Personally i realllly want to see Netfilx's Arcane style graphics in games, wich is basically a mix of pre-painted and dynamic lights. To me it would be perfect for Street, and KOF, independently from the chara design. Make it super 2d/painterly while still super detailed.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I expect the visual style to look a whole hell of a lot like SFV, maybe more in the vein of CE's opening cinematic. Also, I feel like Street Fighter, and well most Capcom fighting games, isn't the same without their exaggerated proportions in my opinion. Ryu should always have massive hands.
Like I said earlier, I don't think Capcom will go that route considering how much flack they got for SFV sticking too closely to SFIV artistically. I'm expecting a radical artistic departure this time around.

Drachen

May 3, 2021
Whatever art style they go for, I just hope that they tone down the ultra beefy muscles everyone has. It makes the roster look a little too uniform to me, despite all the diverse cultural backgrounds and styles represented.

Sesha

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
That the Arksys option has so many votes is kinda depressing. We don't need more homogenity. It's a dark day if Street Fighter, the godfather of fighting games, tries to look like other games (esp. games from a much younger company). It should look distinct. And fresh (as in not ape other SF games). That goes for aping NRS, SNK and other non-SF Capcom games as well.

Charismagik

Oct 27, 2017
We're long overdue for a more animated(hate the term anime lol) style. I honestly wish this was just going to be alpha 4, but oh well. The worst timeline would be realistic, and I'm afraid that's where it's going

nullref

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think more realistic vs. "more anime"/cell-shaded is really the spectrum that I care about here. I guess I wouldn't mind something that recalls Alpha or SFIII a little more while still being 3D, but mostly I'd just like something fresh and well-executed that still feels like Street Fighter.

Incubuster

Oct 30, 2017
I've been pretty disappointed by SF artistically since IV. Concept art wise has been pretty good, it just hasn't translated to the game as well as I would like. I definitely want a more stylized approach than IV and V. If they could accomplish anything in the realm of Arc Sys that would be great.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
Those are nice but SFV has peak Ryu and Chun.

dehzfye-beeeb285-5c91-4be7-935a-9f2c487397ce.png
5RV3NOY.png
Yep I would be the happiest if Sf5->Sf6 is like Kof14->Kof15. Big improvement and refinement of the style. With Sf5 to 6 having the advantage that the highs of Sf5 obviously looked much better than a Kof14 to begin with

If its ps5 gen only I don't think the models looking close to how they looked in the season 3 cinematic is some crazy thought. Combine that with some next gen looking stages and effects and that game could look incredible

The other thing is Luke it would be kind of weird if the guy meant to be a glimpse into the future of SF ends up looking nothing like he does now due to a drastic artstsyle shift

Last edited: