• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Oh, we are doing useless hyperbole with no information then? Let me try. "There are zero".

Have no interest in MOBA or competitive games like multiplayer mode FPS's.

So multi-platform consoles games are out to start with. PUBG is out, Quake Champions out, DOTA/League of legends out (those suck anyway). CIV full game is now on iPad and it's wonderful, so that's not an exclusive. All the really good indy games are on PS4 now (or switch). Honestly, I'm struggling to think of a single thing to recommend that isn't ancient.

Well, I hope you like World of Warcraft or similar MMORPGs?

Cuphead, yeah that, if you don't have Xbox. I guess Mount and Blade 2 might be awesome if it ever comes out?

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
There isn't enough space in a post to hold a full list :P
Here's what I can reasonably quickly think of that fits the OP constraints (i.e. not competitive MP focused) -- completely random order, a lot of recency bias, some bias to local coop games:
  • EXAPUNKS (Zachtronics Puzzle, game of the year 2018)
  • Tyranny (Party-based CRPG)
  • Divinity: Dragon Commander (Amazing, underrated multi-genre game from Larian)
  • DragoDino (Co-op platformer)
  • Grim Dawn (Diablolike)
  • DYO (Underrated, inventive puzzle platformer)
  • BATTLETECH (Mech Strategy)
  • Age of Wonders 3 (Fantasy 4x)
  • SHENZHEN I/O (Zachtronics Puzzle)
  • Total War: WARHAMMER 1 + 2 (Fantasy Strategy)
  • Pillars of Eternity 2 (Excellent party-based CRPG)
  • Full Bore (Puzzle platformer)
  • The Long Journey Home (Rouguelike space exploration)
  • Shift Happens (Co-op platformer)
  • Caveblazers (Platformer)
  • FTL (Roguelike space strategy/survival thing)
  • Crimzon Clover (Excellent shmup)
  • A Virus Named TOM (Puzzle game)
  • Contradiction (FMV detective game, much better than that sounds)
  • Wyv and Keep: The Temple of the Lost Idol (Co-op puzzle platformer)
  • The Forest (Survival)
  • Shadowrun Dragonfall and Hong Kong (Party-based cyberpunk CRPGs)
  • CrossCode (ARPG)
  • Might and Magic X: Legacy (Excellent, underrated FP party-based RPG)
  • Grey Goo (RTS)
  • TIS-100 (Zachtronics Puzzle)
  • Lords of Xulima (Indie CRPG)
I've noticed that a lot of the PC-exclusive singleplayer stuff I've played in the past 2 years or so was VR -- I've excluded that from the list.
Also, many of the more mainstream games get ported eventually.

Enforcer

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I had the most fun with Guild Wars 2.

Love the jumping puzzles, exploration and combat. Hope they rework the water combat soon and give us a huge Water Dragon to fight for the next expansion.

Deleted member 1849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Trying to add a bunch of others which haven't been mentioned at all yet:

Rakuen
Rabi-Ribi (if you can get past the art)
Monolith
Cogmind
Devil Daggers
Grim Dawn
The House In Fate Morgana
Blue Revolver
Orwell
Hacknet

There's also a bunch of other CRPG's like: Underrail, Tyranny, the Beamdog remasters (Planescape: Torment, Icewind Dale, Neverwinter Nights, and BG2), Vaporum, Age of Decadence, and very recently, Pathfinder: Kingmaker.

All the really good indy games are on PS4 now (or switch). Honestly, I'm struggling to think of a single thing to recommend that isn't ancient.

Doesn't seem to have stopped us posting 40-50+ already in this thread.

This stuff about the good indies already being on PS4 is nonsense. There are tonnes of PC exclusive indies just like there always has been. The consoles are just getting more now than they used to.

Last edited:

galv

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Robo Recall & Lone Echo are must plays by anyone that wants to see how good gaming can be.

OP
OP
mogster7777

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
You guys have been a massive help with all these suggestions.

The type of games I like are all sorts. Only exceptions are sports, racing, moba, any competitive game, or reeeealllly complicated strategy games. I played Civ 1 on msdos when it was new and loved it and sim city 2000/3000 That's about my threshold in terms of complexity in strategy games.

I'd Prefer playing with controller as I'll be on couch but kB and mouse is fine.

I will check out the MS Xbox games like Ori and Recore that are now on PC too. I have a gamerscore of 400k back from 360 days before I ditched MS so maybe I will play some of these games on that profile on pc instead lol.

I've put specs of the pc in first post.

Last edited:

bmdubya

Nov 1, 2017
Colorado
While Kerbal Space Program is available on other platforms, I'd argue the PC version is the best way to play, which precise rocket ship building and better performance than consoles.

OP
OP
mogster7777

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
How does Xbox achievements work if I bought something like Cuphead from GOG or Steam? Does it install to Steam and unlock Xbox achievements?

Can you only unlock Xbox achievements if you buy the game through MS store?

Drelkag

Oct 25, 2017
How does Xbox achievements work if I bought something like Cuphead from GOG or Steam? Does it install to Steam and unlock Xbox achievements?

Can you only unlock Xbox achievements if you buy the game through MS store?

It only works if you buy from the Microsoft store and if the game is play anywhere IIRC. You sign in to the same Microsoft account as your Xbox account.

shoptroll

May 29, 2018
Anything by Wadjet Eye Games if you're interested in point & click adventures. Also, Kathy Rain and Quest for Infamy.

Now that I'm not on mobile...

Gunpoint
Two Point Hospital
Magicka (I don't think this got a console version?)
Audiosurf
Wadjet Eye's catalog (Blackwell series, Unavowed, The Shivah, Shardlight, Primoria, Technobabylon, A Golden Wake)
Amanita Design's catalog (Botanicula, Chuchel, Samarost 1-3, Machinarium)
Devolver Digital's catalog (although I can't remember how much of this has hit consoles at this point)
Kathy Rain
Lamplight City
Quest for Infamy
McPixel
FTL
Infested Planet
Legend of Grimrock
Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale
Sanctum
Super Crate Box
Torchlight (this got a 360 port back in 2011, but there's a lot of mods on PC)
Starcraft II

Starcraft
Diablo II
Warcraft III
Deus Ex
LucasArts P&C catalog (Sam & Max Hit the Road, Loom, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, Monkey Island series, etc.)
Sierra P&C catalog (King's Quest VI, Space Quest IV, Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers, Conquests of the Longbow, etc.)
LucasArts Star Wars games (Dark Forces/Jedi Knight series, Tie Fighter / X-Wing)
BioWare / Beamdog catalog (Baldur's Gate, Neverwinter Nights series)
Fallout 1 / 2
System Shock 2
Bullfrog's catalog (Theme Park / Hospital, Syndicate + Syndicate Wars, Dungeon Keeper 1 + 2, Magic Carpet 1 + 2)
Origin System's catalog (Wing Commander and Ultima series)
id Software's catalog (Doom series, Quake series, Hexen/Heretic series)
Unreal / Unreal Tournament / Unreal Tournament 2004
Heroes of MIght & Magic 2 - 4
Alpha Centauri
Total Annihilation / Supreme Commander
The Sims series (yes, there's been console versions but again... mods)
SimCity 2000 / 3000 / 4
Spore (yes it was a flop but it's an interesting flop)
Carmageddon
Death Rally
Stargunner

I'm pretty sure everything I've listed is available on either Steam/Humble and/or GOG.

I'm also thinking of old pc games that never come out on anything else...you know like those old lucasarts games and quest for glory Sierra games. I used to love those back in the nineties. Do these all work today on PC's and are they free to download from somewhere as they're so old?

They will work on modern PCs, but they're usually run inside an emulator of sorts. The two options are SCUMMVM which is a new interpreter for the engines LucasArts wrote their games in. They've also added support for Sierra's engines in recent versions. There is also DOSBox which is a generic DOS emulator. GOG uses both DOSBox and SCUMMVM extensively for supporting older titles. GOG is pretty much the way to go for older stuff although a bunch of older titles have released on Steam as well once their exclusivity period with GOG expires. Although if you have the original disks hanging around you might be able to get an installer from SierraHelp which will setup everything up for you.

GOG's stuff isn't free, but you will rarely spend more than $10 on an older title there and when you do it's usually for a pack of games in the same series. They include scans of the original manuals and will throw in soundtracks and wallpapers for free if they can, and it's all DRM-free.

I guess MMORPGS are popular on PC. I've played FF14 on PS4 but are there good pc only ones? I played vanilla WoW back when it come out but never touched the expansions. Don't think I have the time to get stuck into a MMORPG to be fair though. So I'm not too bothered if there aren't games like this as they're a massive time commitment and most of my gaming time goes on PS4 so even with this new pc I might not play many games on it but I didn't really get it for gaming heavily in the first place.

If you want low-stakes MMOs that's pretty simple to start you can check out Kingdom of Loathing or Fallen London which are browser based and have daily limits on how much you can play each day. They aren't very graphical and rely heavily on their writing. They're good fun if you don't mind that style of game.

The type of games I like are all sorts. Only exceptions are sports, racing, moba, any competitive game, or reeeealllly complicated strategy games. I played Civ 1 on msdos when it was new and loved it and sim city 2000/3000 That's about my threshold in terms of complexity in strategy games.

You should probably take a look at SimCity 4 or Cities: Skylines. The newer Civ games (and Alpha Centauri) might be of interest as well.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2017
Stalker with the "complete" mod is a great experience, even today. This mod fixes many issues of the original game and adds high-res textures, modern graphical effects and more.

Complete mod makes the game too easy. All you need for the first game is the ZRP(Zone reclamation pack) which is just bug fixes, and then grab Absolute Nature and Absolute Structures if you want graphical upgrades.

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Oct 25, 2017
Stalker with the "complete" mod is a great experience, even today. This mod fixes many issues of the original game and adds high-res textures, modern graphical effects and more.

Other recommended games:

- Total War: Warhammer 2
- Grim Dawn
- Witcher 3 with the Ghost Mode mod
- Two Point Hospital
- Endless Space 1 + 2
- Northgard
- Path of Exile
- Into the breach
- Evoland 2
- Starcrawlers
- Frostpunk

This is BS and you know it.

Complete mods for STALKER completely ruin game balance and the Complete mod for COP is a buggy mess. Play it vanilla or with ZRP, that's it.

sauce

Oct 25, 2017
There's literally a shit ton, but this is one of the best I've played recently:

Crosscode is really good too, from what little I've played of it:

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
If you have a really high tolerance for jank, Arma 3.

I think it's one of the PC exclusives most exemplary of the platform -- way more ambitious than most console games, complicated, experimental, high-end, and loaded with nearly endless user-generated content. The user-generated content is probably the lifeblood of the game.

It's a "realistic" combat sim like the older Rainbow Six and Ghost Recon games but Arma 3 is really whatever you make of it. It's less of a game and more of a giant toy chest of military gear. Most people will tell you it's mainly a mutliplayer game but I've played about 500 hours of Arma 3 and none of it multiplayer. The story campaign is honestly all over the place in terms of quality but the relatively easy-to-use mission editor has led to tons of better custom story missions on Steam Workshop, some of them being random mission generators.

Despite the byzantine control scheme, low-budget animation, awful CPU/RAM utilization, and other Eurojank-ness, Arma 3 is as-of-yet unmatched as a military shooter sandbox.

1CP2zIT.jpg

It's not really a game, but if you want to feel incredible small and insignificant, I like messing around with Space Engine.

It's a procedurally-generated space game like Elite Dangerous (which is on PS4) but instead of being an actual game it's just a virtual planetarium that tries to simulate our actual universe. The generation in this game though is way more advanced than what's in Elite and No Man's Sky, as you can seamlessly go from the smallest hill to whole galactic clusters. It's pretty much just looking at alien landscapes, but if you're even a little bit into astronomy, it's neat to look at a 3D representation of the scale of space and how solar systems can turn out.

Valdega

Banned
Sep 7, 2018
So multi-platform consoles games are out to start with. PUBG is out, Quake Champions out, DOTA/League of legends out (those suck anyway). CIV full game is now on iPad and it's wonderful, so that's not an exclusive. All the really good indy games are on PS4 now (or switch). Honestly, I'm struggling to think of a single thing to recommend that isn't ancient.

Well, I hope you like World of Warcraft or similar MMORPGs?

Cuphead, yeah that, if you don't have Xbox. I guess Mount and Blade 2 might be awesome if it ever comes out?

You must have very limited tastes if that's all you can think of. There are a ton of other good PC exclusives. Refer to the numerous posts in this thread for examples.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
Complete mod makes the game too easy. All you need for the first game is the ZRP(Zone reclamation pack) which is just bug fixes, and then grab Absolute Nature and Absolute Structures if you want graphical upgrades.

Complete mods for STALKER completely ruin game balance and the Complete mod for COP is a buggy mess. Play it vanilla or with ZRP, that's it.

Thankx for your advice. I've finished Stalker using the Complete mod a few months ago. I have to admit it was a lot easier than the vanilla game, but compared to modern games it was okay imo. I'd love to play the vanilla experience again tho.

OP
OP
mogster7777

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
Also Grim Dawn look great and so does Path of Exile? But IGN only gave it a 7.5?

I love dungeon crawlers like Diablo and played most of the ones on PS4 already. Is Path of Exile good? I heard it's more of a simulation dungeon crawler and not very accessible compared to Diablo and has a steep learning curve? Wish it was on PS4 not sure why it isn't when it's on Xbox already.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
Also Grim Dawn look great and so does Path of Exile? But IGN only gave it a 7.5?

I love dungeon crawlers like Diablo and played most of the ones on PS4 already. Is Path of Exile good? I heard it's more of a simulation dungeon crawler and not very accessible compared to Diablo and has a steep learning curve? Wish it was on PS4 not sure why it isn't when it's on Xbox already.

Path of Exile is free to play, so you have nothing to loose by trying it yourself.

Grim dawn is very good, I've finished the game + DLC with several builds already. It's so much fun!

Don't mind the IGN reviews for these games (or any IGN reviews in general imo). Both games have been strongly improved since the initial release version.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017

IMHO, Path of Exile and Grim Dawn are the best games in that particular subgenre in the past decade.
Grim Dawn is easier to get into. It's basically a vastly improved Titan Quest.

OP
OP
mogster7777

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
Grim Dawn has controller support (though I only played with mouse/KB), but it's a dark fantasy universe.
Titan Quest doesn't have controller support, but it's based on Greek mythology
Inplayed and finished Titan Quest back when it come out on PC. I believe it was like the last PC game I ever played properly lol.
I've got it on PS4 now and it's in my backlog.

Will check out Grim dawn when I get my new pc.

I was supposed to get the PC last week but they are out of stock on the case and I really want that case as it's gonna be sound dampening and stuff which is ideal for living room. I should have it sometime next week.

sauce

Oct 25, 2017
Cross code looks good. Is this planned for a PS4 release too though? Already beat momodora on ps4
Ah my bad, didn't know Momodora was out for ps4. CrossCode literally just came out of Steam Early Access two weeks ago, after about 3 years of being in there. They haven't said anything at all about other platforms, and I wouldn't expect them to any time soon.

Also maybe try out this thread for indie games, although beware as it has a ton of gifs to load lol.

Deleted member 11018

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Deserts of Kharak is a wonderful recommendation as is Crusader Kings 2.
Besides those two, and a ton of other great suggestions, an oldie :
Open Freespace 2, the open source engine of freespace, letting you play freespace and freespace 2 on modern hardware, the best space combat flight sims campaigns that graced the surface of the earth.
http://wiki.hard-light.net/index.php/FreeSpace_Open_Installer
It has great story beats, all lived live. There are mods recreating star wars, star trek campaigns etc

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
If you're into multiplayer Shooters, I would recommend Iron Sight for a more casual kind of shooter, and Insurgency for a more hardcore experience.

Insurgency Sandstorm is coming in December. I would recommend checking out some videos of it.

KKRT

Oct 27, 2017

Regarding IGN's review its basically a joke for a community. Guy who review it, finished the main story in about 5x of time amount new player would do and have not even tried first zones of end games. Its basically a review you would expect from somebody not familiar with games or genre.

But game has a step learning curve, because its complex and massive, though there are lot of guides online how to start to not completely suck :)

Xbox version exists, because Microsoft founded it and they already had DX11 capable engine, so porting was simpler. They were small company at the time and still arent big. The actual porting overhead is quite massive for them as they release big content every 3 months and a lot of patches.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Don't forget that some games have very different PC versions even if they are available on the PS4. Minecraft has the Java version on PC with mod support, the mods available cover a wide spectrum and outdo most standalone games that attempt to improve on the Minecraft formula. There are easy mod launchers that you just install, select a mod pack and it does the rest for you. Terraria also has more content on PC I think.

Kingdoms & Castles (city builder, pretty simple and relaxed)
Factorio (Ignore the Early Access tag, they're only polishing minor things right now, everything else is finished)
Scavenger SV-4 (somewhat horrorish space exploration game)
Glittermitten Grove (AKA Frog Fractions 2)
TerraTech (block based vehicle building)
Anno series of city builders
Anything Zachtronics, as mentioned before (engineering puzzles, very open ended)
Stephen's Sausage Roll (hard but by many accounts the best puzzle game in existence)
Pharaoh Rebirth+ (Archaeology-themed Metroidvania)
A Robot Named Fight (Roguelite Metroid)
Creeper World 3 (tower defense vs a liquid that floods the map)
Environmental Station Alpha (hard Metroidvania)
Snakebird (very hard puzzle game)
Starward Rogue (bullet hell Roguelite)
Battlefleet Gothic: Armada (40k fleet combat game)
Star Traders: Frontiers (basically Rogue Trader The Videogame, feudal-sci-fi where you deal with aristocrats, spies, pirates and so on)
LISA (like a darker Earthbound)
Revolver 360 and Revolver 360 Re:Actor (shmups with a literal twist)
and of course the X series like X3 Terran Conflict (Elite-like space sims)

If you don't mind Early Access:
Raft (survival on a raft)
From The Depths (highly advanced block based vehicle construction game)
Astroneer (astronaut survival game)

While we're on the subject of looking for games, there's a new Humble Bundle that looks good.

There are far, far more but remembering them all and then checking whether they are already on the PS4 is a lot of work.

OP
OP
mogster7777

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
Is Civ 6 good? I just bought it on sale for ÂŁ17
I only ever played the MS DOS one in the nineties.

Looking forward to this one. I got my pc yesterday still kinda putting everything on it. Man it's quiet. Not much louder than a XB1.

Also what's a good site for digital pc deals for games in the UK? I found Fanatical which is having a 2K sale right now so I got Civ 6 for cheap. Are there any other sites like that? Digital only.

Is there a way for Steam email you once a game drops in price too? What does adding to wish list do?

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is Civ 6 good? I just bought it on sale for ÂŁ17
I only ever played the MS DOS one in the nineties.

Looking forward to this one. I got my pc yesterday still kinda putting everything on it. Man it's quiet. Not much louder than a XB1.

Also what's a good site for digital pc deals for games in the UK? I found Fanatical which is having a 2K sale right now so I got Civ 6 for cheap. Are there any other sites like that? Digital only.

Is there a way for Steam email you once a game drops in price too? What does adding to wish list do?

Adding a game to your wishlist is how you get Steam to notify you when it's on sale. However, I find it's better to use isthereanydeal and link it with your Steam wishlist instead.

It'll scan multiple legitimate websites and will email you when a game you are interested in goes on sale. After a while you'll get an idea of what stores seem to show up more often. It also has extra email options, like to only notify you when a game is available at it's cheapest price ever.

It won't notify you on bundles, however. I would still occasionally search Humble and Fanatical separately for those.

Last edited:
OP
OP
mogster7777

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
Adding a game to your wishlist is how you get Steam to notify you when it's on sale. However, I find it's better to use isthereanydeal and link it with your Steam wishlist instead.

It'll scan multiple legitimate websites and will email you when a game you are interested in goes on sale. After a while you'll get an idea of what stores seem to show up more often. It also has extra email options, like to only notify you when a game is available at it's cheapest price ever.

It won't notify you on bundles, however. I would still occasionally search Humble and Fanatical separately for those.
I'll check this out thanks

sixteen-bit

Oct 30, 2017
High Hell is a stylish single-player FPS with short, objective-based levels meant for speedrunning. It's a thrilling game to play and it's pretty cheap. Highly recommended.

Fishook

Dec 20, 2017
Planet Coaster Is well worth playing especially if you are more the creative type. There are loads of good exclusive games if you like Strategy/CRPG's and point & click adventure games.

Most have already been mentioned but don't forget stuff like Arma or Rising Storm if you want Realistic FPS.

Saks for ost

Oct 27, 2017
Oslo
Laugh at me all you want, but if you have not gamed on PC since 2012 I would actually recommend trying out DayZ, Rust or other good survival games.

PUBG (console version is trash, very good game on PC) - The more slow, tense Battle Royale of the alternatives out there.

Civilization 5 or 6 - You have probably played the series earlier, but these two are the best imo.

Battle Brothers - Holy fuck, this turn based HOMM-style combat strategy game is very very hard. But very satisfying and rewarding.

Factorio - This game just eats away your time. Amazing base builder game in good old RTS pov. Very good in COOP. Has a demo if you wanna try it out.

Trackmania 2 - My favorite game, arcade time trial racing at its finest. Great community made tracks.

Arma 2 or 3

Zero-K

Very cool free to play(as in completely freeware) RTS. Supreme commander/Total annihilation style.

Fake edit: I suck at the forums thing. Made media links to all games, only to limited to two...lol