What percentage of your music library is from gaming ?

• 0% Why would I listen to music from games?

Votes: 279 25.4%
  • 1-10% Yeah a few notable soundtracks

Votes: 488 44.4%
  • 11-30% A decent amount I enjoy listening too

Votes: 116 10.6%
  • 31-60% a good chunk of my music library

Votes: 79 7.2%
  • 61-80% Most songs in my music listening library are from gaming. Woot.

Votes: 57 5.2%
  • 81-95% Fus ro dah

Votes: 54 4.9%
  • 100% I only listen to gaming music. Screw everything else

Votes: 25 2.3%

• Total voters

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
her: do you want to go to the bedroom?
me: sure, let me just put on some music.

my stereo:

FaffEra

Chicken Chaser
Nov 8, 2017
UK
Like others have said, the vast majority of game music I have access to just doesn't stand up on its own.

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
Persona, Nier, .hack GU, and some Final Fantasy tracks are the only games that have had good enough music to be on my phone.

Fishook

Dec 20, 2017
None, I can appreciate game soundtracks but I am not a massive fan of instrumental music but the same goes to movie soundtracks.

Aug 30, 2020
I often have music on in the background while working and if I'm exercising outdoors. My playlist is roughly 50-70% game music.

Perhaps noteworthy that not a lot of the game music is from the last 15 years. They don't make great standalone game music much anymore.

N1corex

▲ Legend ▲
Jun 7, 2020
like 15 percent sometimes I go and listen to an hour of game tracks on youtube. Most of my library is rap music.

NickatNite

Oct 27, 2017
California
0-1

I've listen to GTA and Tony Hawk soundtracks on Spotify, but I wouldn't categorize them as "video game soundtracks," but rather than music that was featured in a video game

I like a lot of original music in games, but I wouldn't want to listen to it outside of the game. Same applies to film scores.

basic_text

Oct 27, 2017
Derby, UK
Not a great deal to be honest (physically anyway).

I had a brief spurt of buying some soundtracks on vinyl (I NEEDED to own the Hohokum 12") but then the prices seemed to skyrocket and I noped out of there.
Glad I managed to grab a copy of the Hotline Miami OST from Kickstarter though, I even ended up with 2 copies as the first got damaged in the post!

LonestarZues

Oct 27, 2017
I put 0% only because I don't buy music anymore. I just listen to it thru YouTube or Spotify. Gaming music is about 30% of what I listen to if I had to guess though.

Jeronimo

Nov 16, 2017
Closer to 0% than 1%. I'm not really interested in most game soundtracks, but to each their own.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
0.0 percent, but the poll choice for that is ridiculously insensitive to people who do enjoy it. It's possible to not like it and also to not insult those who do.

Last edited:

Azery

Sep 24, 2020
Vast majority really. Mostly comes from growing up with it and not really getting into most mainstream genres of music. I'm delving out in more recent years but VGM is still the main thing I listen to.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe 30-40%. The issue is that game OSTs are easily longer than other regular albums.

Servbot24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Very little. Under 1%.

I listen to some BotW and WindWaker music, I listen to quite a bit of Donkey Kong Country music... that's about it. Occasionally some Mega Man X and Metroid Prime.

Oct 28, 2017
Recently I listen to many of the Forza Horizon 4 station playlists on Spotify. Especially Hospital (which is a great Drum and Bass playlist period) and timeless which is maybe the best greatest hits classic playlist I have found.

Rhomega

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Using Spotify, I have added:

Ace Attorney 1-4
Castlevania: Circle of the Moon/Harmony of Dissonance
Castlevania: Aria/Dawn of Sorrow
Command & Conquer: Tiberian Dawn
Command & Conquer: Red Alert
Final Fantasy I, II, and IV-XV
Frozen Cortex
Halo
Jet Set Radio
Jet Set Radio Future
Mega Man 1-3
Mega Man X-X8
Shatter
SimCity 3000
Transistor
Ys Origin
Ys: The Oath in Felghana

Oct 27, 2017
A good chunk of it actually, from old games mostly which had the most memorable soundtracks. Most of those are remixes or covers.

Deleted member 3183

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This thread neatly explains why no one knew who Travis Scott was when the PS5 collab was announced.

Also 0%. To those answering 50%+, expand your musical horizons seriously.

cgatto

Feb 9, 2018
Canada
Like, not even 1%. A couple songs from Persona 5 have ended up on playlists and I loved The Heavy since before Borderlands so the Borderlands opening themes by them as well, if those even count.

Oh, and a couple songs from the Red Dead soundtrack now that I think of it.

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
0%, I like a lot of game music but none enough to actively listen to it.

Aniki

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
This thread neatly explains why no one knew who Travis Scott was when the PS5 collab was announced.

Also 0%. To those answering 50%+, expand your musical horizons seriously.
I hear almost every music genre. Gaming music is so broad and so good it doesn't need to hide from more mainstream music, at all.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
Apart from the Nier soundtrack nothing and even then only a few songs I could listen to outside of gaming. So around 1%.

Grain Silo

Dec 15, 2017
About 90% of my library is from video games. I still use mp3's and FLACs because streaming services like Spotify don't have OCremixes or those hidden gem arrangements I found on Newgrounds back in 2007.

Aerial51

Apr 24, 2020
I remember the dark times when it was 50% Anime and 50% Game Music lol. It's zero Anime Music these Days and with Games it's a bit hard.
I tend to listen to a lot of Videogame Music during Work or when i write or read, because i can't concentrate while listening to lyrics. I don't really listen to Videogame Albums though only ambient tracks with the exception of the Silent Hill OSTs (which don't feature alot of vocal work)

There are many Games where i just listen to some ambient Tracks while working for example the Save Room Themes in Resident Evil or Breath of the Wild.

So it's hard to properly give a percentage answer because i obviously listen to a ton of VG Music but only use it as a backdrop to concentrate, but when i actievly want to listen to music i rarely look for Game Soundtracks maybe 1,5% of the time.

Last edited:

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
I suppose 0-1%. I'll occasionally listen to video game music on YouTube, but I don't have anything saved to Spotify, and I don't own any soundtracks.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
50% Gaming Soundtracks (free with Steam games, Kingdom Hearts, that old Smash Bros. CD, etc)
40% Musicals (theatrical or movie)
8% Disney Theme Park Music
2% Monty Python

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
100% club. Like, I actually have some kind of brainworms that makes me avoid putting any other type of music in my library, even if I think it sounds decent. Lyrical songs kind of put me off most of the time and even the few I do like feels like a guilty pleasure, emphasis on guilty. It's kind of weird, I can't deny.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I've got a couple, Jet Set Radio and We ♥︎ Katamari, but those are hardly "gamey" and don't even make up 1% of my library.

Spiderhead

Banned
Aug 15, 2020
Canada
Not that I wouldn't listen to game music, but when I'm out looking to listen to music I'll stick with what I got, even play it when I play racing games and the like since their soundtracks tend to be hot trash.