• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BlackJace

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Development IS a factory operation at times, which is a necessity because so many entities are involved with development and need to get paid (all of these entities need a paycheck to live, anyway). One of the reasons why costs for development can be high is because planners and government pointlessly delay development and jack up costs with pointless regulations and bureaucratic bullshit. Planners have to ensure that developers can develop projects smoothly and as quickly as possible, while at the same time allowing developers to develop good projects (yeah, it's hard).

Also, planners can be super fucking lazy and delay development projects by just not giving a shit and leaning on the fact that it's incredibly difficult to get fired if you work in the public sector. Don't be that planner.

I meant factory in sense that they will send over batch paperwork clearly copied and pasted over and over that is missing information or mislabeled. It strikes me as lazy. My planning work involves a very small municipality, so in many cases the developers themselves are the ones holding up the process by submitting incomplete paperwork, unstamped plans, wrong code editions, etc.

I do agree that planners need to recognize that they have a responsibility to ensure a smooth development process. I'm more paraprofessional planning in that I do mostly permit review, BLAPs, and ZCONs, but I hope to be a planner one day that doesn't fall into being a jaded, lazy bum lol.

Do you work for a big or small municipality if you don't mind me asking?

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
I work in IT

Pretty much anyone outside of IT because people think they know what they are doing and some people have no idea what the hell they are doing

Case in point had someone install something that they shouldn't have and it messed up their bios

Had another person forgot he left his tablet on the back of his truck and it fell and got ran over

👹

JohnsonUT

Oct 27, 2017
As a software engineer it is IT for sure. Now that I am leading teams, it is still IT day to day. But low-key it is c-level and VPs that are so slow to commit to anything whether it is personnel decisions (hiring, firing, promotions, team structure) or project investment.

Enkidu

Oct 27, 2017
I work as an antenna engineer, and generally it's the industrial designers we end up fighting with the most. Everything always has to be super small and thin, and for some reason made out of metal as well. They don't always take it very well when you suggest changes to their precious design either.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Tech writer. Probably upper management people who don't understand my role and think they do. So they either micromanage the shit out of me to insert tons of extraneous pretty shit in my stuff, make promises to other clients that we can't deliver on, or handwave my entire existence as unnecessary because "anyone can write so I'll just outsource/ask some engineer (who has better things to do) to do it".

I also have a love/hate relationship with developers and engineers because I have to work with them often to get info. They are almost always well intentioned, and I'm glad to say I've never met any STEM circlejerk types. The problem is that many of them are bad at explaining things, or they are used to talking to other developers who have experience and underlying programming knowledge/context that I don't have. They also have a tendency to be as brief as humanly possible, probably because programming in general values efficiency. So many of them write bug reports and tickets that have nothing but titles, answer in one-word sentences, and do other things that probably other developers would understand right away, but I don't. I often ask them to explain how something works, and they'll reply with a one-sentence email like "yes, it's Java" and then be surprised when I don't see how that answered any of my questions. Completely innocent and well-intentioned, but it can be infuriating to deal with day in and day out.

Probably have the best relationship with QA. They are the ones who see the end product the most and can give much more hands-on info, and they tend to be good at explaining issues.

LosDaddie

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Longwood, FL
Hey man thats my boss lol.

😝
My post was in jest. I was on the installation side of our industry for almost 10yrs before I earned my PE license. So believe me, I know how hated PEs are.

When I walk my projects, I usually tell the electricians "I just draw lines on paper. Y'all make the magic happen."

There are definitely a ton of engineers who don't know anything about installation

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
Insurance companies are the bane of a hospital's existance.

Coinspinner

Nov 6, 2017
Computer Janitor here. Uh... is computer ransomer considered a profession? I really hate ransomware.

Deleted member 51103

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 20, 2018
Portland, Oregon
Sr. Software Developer.

Love my QA team. Who are these people who dislikes QA?!? They save our butts all the time!

For me:

- Management. Constantly wanting new features faster without ever investing in improving existing code or *gasp* developer training. Surprised Pikachu face when the wheels fall off from neglect.
- Uneducated co-workers ( "self-smarted" developers ). They never catch up and are a constant drag. Continually argue about settled matters. They can churn out features with copy-paste but they don't know anything about monitoring or logging or testing or writing decent abstractions.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Working in IT, developers. How the fuck can so many of you know so little about computers
About ten years ago I was doing some IT work for an agency. They were using expensive subscription-based booking software originally written for Windows 98. It expected the user to have full local admin rights in order to even launch, as it kept its writable configuration files, amongst other things, in Program Files. I was aghast at the idea of letting college interns loose with local admin rights on internet-connected Windows XP machines in 2009. (It wouldn't even run on Vista because of UAC.) It was still in active development, and I brought it up with the devs, and they told me they had no plans to change that.

Aside from that, IT management is a pain. They'll happily run severely outdated infrastructure because upgrading it would require them time and effort and learning something new. They can have licences for new software, and even new hardware, on hand, and just let them sit untouched until something catastrophically breaks.

KingFrost92

Oct 26, 2017
Oregon
When I worked in Digital Marketing (SEM/SEO specifically), my whole department hated the sales team. They were never trained on what exactly they were selling, so they'd make outrageous promises of growth to clients with very small budgets, then we were the people who got yelled at by those clients when we couldn't deliver. Super frustrating. No matter how many times we talked to them, nothing would change, and turnover was so high that even if someone learned how to actually sell the product accurately, they were gone within a month or two.

When I worked in Penetration Testing, it was always government IT people. I don't think we ever talked to one who really understood the job they were doing, which was terrifying and frustrating. Most required us to explain very basic IT concepts to them multiple times, and every year we tested them, we'd find the exact same issues over and over again that they'd handwave and downplay despite being very key faults to their security setup.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
As a zookeeper, I suppose PETA is our biggest enemy, seeing as how they don't believe in animals being in captivity.

BankaiZaraki

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm an armed white security officer. Telling people they can't be in common areas after dark usually ends okay but you have the select few that think the rules don't apply to them.

hephaestus

Oct 28, 2017
Im im the trades so engineers are usually my biggest stumbling block. While they are many awesome engineers, alot of them lack any mechanical aptitude. Only becoming a eng. So they could be a project manager or some other office job. Heaven forbid you tell them they might be mistaken then they just start tapping their "ring"

Vinnie20

Banned
Dec 23, 2018
Power utility company. We probably would hate solar if it actually can compete, but it really doesn't in the cities, not to mention we only own the power grid not the power generation portion anymore so I can't think of anything else.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Geologic signal processing for the federal government. Probably all those flat earthers trying to leak all our secrets

Rad Bandolar

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
I'm in industrial Sales (boo! hiss!) and we tend to hate factory/production, because they genuinely don't give a shit about customers.

When they can't make their promise date (which is more often than their heavily massaged metrics indicate), who has to tell a client that's scheduled contractors, downtime, and maintenance at great expense that we failed to deliver? Why, that special honor is all ours.

You haven't lived until a CEO, a Plant Manager, an Operations Manager, a Maintenance Manager, a Project Manager, a Production Planner, and other assorted important corporate people from three different continents people dress you down and make you feel like complete, worthless shit, while the people in your company who can actually do something and make it right are all ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

And then we end up scrambling for options against an indifferent factory who really doesn't care, because it's just one of thousands of orders, and they don't have to deal with the ramifications of their inability to manage their supply chain and meet their commitments.

And that's if they even tell you about it. Most of the time, a customer will call and ask, "Where's my stuff?" and when you inquire about it internally, they say, "Oh that got pushed out 6 weeks." Thanks for nothing, guys.

Most of my time is spent trying to internally follow-up, drive action, cajole, bribe, beg, and plead to get things done on time to meet commitments that I didn't even make. Seriously, I'm a sales guy and I spend maybe 20% of my time actually doing that.

OP
OP

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
I meant factory in sense that they will send over batch paperwork clearly copied and pasted over and over that is missing information or mislabeled. It strikes me as lazy. My planning work involves a very small municipality, so in many cases the developers themselves are the ones holding up the process by submitting incomplete paperwork, unstamped plans, wrong code editions, etc.

I do agree that planners need to recognize that they have a responsibility to ensure a smooth development process. I'm more paraprofessional planning in that I do mostly permit review, BLAPs, and ZCONs, but I hope to be a planner one day that doesn't fall into being a jaded, lazy bum lol.

Do you work for a big or small municipality if you don't mind me asking?

Nah, I worked in the middle. I also have worked some temporary projects with with the private sector.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
I am a research scientist working within practical engineering, I would say our biggest enemies are big data scientists. Some people think that by just throwing shit at a neural network you can solve any issue, this has lead to shitty solutions that lack creativity and has actually held back promising progress in some parts of my field. Low level, recent grads that only got a Bsc or a Masters degree can get blinded by the promise of tagging data sets and realize to late that garbage in = garbage out.
As someone going into a data science masters, I will try to keep this in mind. :(

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
As a software engineer, I feel like there are few groups which don't catch our ire at some point or another. And that includes other software engineers. We sort of hate everything.

IT are probably the ones who have the most potential to wreck our day, though. Especially because things IT likes and things we like are often sort of diametrically opposed.

SolidSnakeBoy

May 21, 2018
I'm a ASIC digital designer. Easily management/sales. They want us to design the most efficient chips for power and performance, but make it flexible enough to support future features that may very well be outside the original spec and venture into physically unimplementable. Ironically i'm sure that the Firmware team hates us for this very reason as our configuration checklists grow in complexity lol

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in IT Security consulting.

Tech sales people. While there are some awesome ones, most of them just talk fast, over sell and put the pressure on engineering/pro services to deliver something that should have never been sold in the first place.

Gotta meet your quota right guys?

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
IT in the field of HR software

Probably the people in upper management who want us to implement things that the system isn't really designed for. That or the software engineers at Workday who don't design the system so that they can be implemented.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i noticed a strange hostility between law and economics students in university which i never understood. certainly thats not the case in the job world though.

Scheris

Oct 27, 2017
Web (and occasionally apps) developer here. I'm at a smaller company, so luckily there's none of the BS you deal with at larger companies.

The UI/UX designers & project management would probably be the two that occasionally fit the bill, although both at the company I'm at have a pretty good idea of what can/can't be done in the time/budget given per the client's requests.

Sometimes the designers will want to do something really fancy that they found when researching other sites before coming up with the design, and while it's doable it requires X amount of hours that the project might not allow without extending the current time allotment out. (Thankfully it's not a "they did it, so it should be easy to copy this" thing, more of a "design takes only two hours to create a mockup, but PM needs to know development won't be that simple").

PM when they're needing an "this takes X amount of hours" when it's dependent on what the client wants exactly (i.e. the "we want it to 'pop'"-type comments or vague information) and what design comes up with, where it's not feasible to given that type of an estimate.

Acinixys

Banned
Nov 15, 2017
Data Analyst working in the buying dept for a massive retail company

I would have to say regional managers at the moment

They always start their emails/calls with "Hi, I know your REALLY busy but..."

It makes me mad as fuck. No asshole,I really don't have time to pull you the last 5 years of sales data, per dept, per store so you can look at it for one minute and then discard it

I'm at the point where if people ask for dumb shit I just send them the raw data in an enormous spreadsheet and let them figure it out

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm a General Counsel (ie: run company legal). I wouldn't say I'm hostile to Marketing, but they frustrate the fuck out of my team on a daily basis. I'm sure the feeling is mutual.
The never ending struggle. I do contest and sweepstakes law (as one aspect of my practice), so marketing and others always hate me.

I mostly hate other lawyers. Mostly for fucking up my carefully set up Styles in Word. Or not using automatically numbered contracts. I don't know how they even do this.

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Broadly, as someone that does project management/coordination in local government - there's something of a tense relationship between us and local/regional newspapers. They'll take decisions/policies/incidents, strip them down to the barest elements and/or take away any context, in order to get an attention-grabbing headline out of it - I absolutely agree on the need for local journalism to hold us to account, but often it feels like they feed into much of the populace's ignorance and skepticism about literally anything we do.

Having said that, I know people in planning that get it far, far worse - one buddy of mine gets abuse almost weekly for just doing his job.

APOEERA

Oct 26, 2017
Having done IT support, it's mainly upper management within IT that react with hostility and college professors (since those are usually borderline HR complaints due to professors yelling at IT staff and acting overly aggressive).

The least hostility is usually same level/other departments in different divisions.