• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What should be next for the 'Xeno' franchise?

• Remake: Let me play Xenogears how it was meat to be played!

Votes: 228 33.2%
  • Remaster: I need a modern Xenosaga / Chronicles X

Votes: 292 42.6%
  • Reboot: New games are always best.

Votes: 166 24.2%

• Total voters

MrMegaMill

Nov 28, 2017
VtdIcR3.jpg

With the this Xenoblade trilogy seemingly 'finished', what do you think is the next best option for the franchise? I have gathered some of the more likely scenarios here, for another edition of: 'Remake, Remaster, or Reboot'. Note, we are discussing AFTER the DLC for XB3 is finished, of course.

Remake
Of course, the only option that would make sense in this category is Xenogears, a game that was famously 'unfinished', with the original vision not being able to be completed in the way that it was supposed to be. Could a Monolith remake bring this game to fresh audiences?

Remaster
Okay, okay XBX fans, we hear you. Is it finally time to bring the much maligned, but much loved, Xenoblade Chronicles X to the Switch in a remastered form? Orrrrr, are we thinking that it should be a bit of a bigger project? Should the Xenosaga series be brought over to modern hardware, for new and old fans alike?

Reboot (New Game)
Of course, there is going to be a new game coming. This isn't a question as to if a new game should come out, but rather, should a new game be focused on immediately, or should there be room for a remake or remaster in between? Are we moving on from 'Xenoblade' or will there be a 4?

What say you, Era?

Soulflarz

Oct 25, 2017
Xenogears desperately needs it and I think finishing what he started approx 25yr ago would be significantly more interesting than the current route.

Also less anime bullshit please and thank you. Maybe I'm just older nowadays, but yeah, going from xenogears at some point in my life to xbc2 was pain.

I know I say all this with a persona 3 picture I've had as my profile pic on this/the previous site for close to a decade now.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I'd like them to make a new game that moves away from the MMO-y format. I'm pretty over their version of it, but I imagine that's unpopular.

Desma

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Anything buy Xeno 4

Getting sick of their formula and their weird need to connect the games together

Beelzebufo

Jun 1, 2022
Canada
I mean Monolith wouldn't be working on anything related to the games before Blade (unless some kind of deal happened), so we could have X-2 and something else from another developer.

I just want X-2 and a Xenosaga remaster (with major changes to Episode 2)

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
As someone playing Xenoblade Chronicles X currently,

Absolutely XCX2. I'm going to be very disappointed if we don't get this sequel as the next game. The first needs remastered to Switch/2, and sequel would then be in like 3-4 years which is a big gap from the first game.

If it's not the next game, I doubt they will ever revisit it which would be a tragedy imo.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
Either a Xenogears remake, or a game that feels similar to Xenoblade 1 in terms of story/worldbuilding/characters but has Xenosaga gameplay.

Hopefully, Squenix doesn't forget the 25th anniversary next year and we finally get a remaster of Xenogears for everything under the sun, since it's been long overdue for it to be exist in a manner more dignified than an ISO dump. Not sure what all can really be done to add to the game, but I think this would be a case where mere availability is the single biggest boon for nearly everyone out there.

As for Monolith Soft themselves, there's still X needing to get moved off of its deadbeat hardware, so that's something likely in their crosshairs on top of what's likely to be pre-production on the next new Xenoblade game, whatever form that winds up taking.

Xenosaga fans will continue to suffer as normal.

Lukish

May 30, 2022
NI
Whatever next switch etc is, I would.like some continuation of Xenoblade X or add that mecha, freestyle aspect to xenoblade.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
Do they even have the rights to remake Xenogears? I never played it and would welcome an opportunity to do so.

That said, my wish is X remaster and XCX2. Take us back to Mira! And bring Sawano back!

Zeal543

Next Level Seer
May 15, 2020
Based off the press release from Takahashi it sounds like a new arc for xenoblade (xenoblade 4).

Last edited:

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
At the cadence they're going, it has to be a Definitive Edition of X, right? Right? Add in an extra epilogue chapter like XC1 too.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
New game is best, I think. Outside of X every game they've made for the series is available for the Switch. So just making another new game is for the best imo.

Naha-

Feb 6, 2019
X Switch Remaster followed by something new.

Pretty much. That's also how we got both XC1 DE and XC3. Also XC2 is too "recent" to be remaster (the game absolutely need it thought).

But yeah, if Monolith ever decides to make XCX 2, at least port the first game to the Switch or a new console.

ShroudOfFate

One Winged Slayer
Oct 30, 2017
Remake Xenogears with Takahashi and Monolithsoft helming and finish the thing

It could be done in the style of HD-2D not in the Xenoblade style I just want to see it done

Cameron122

Rescued from SR388
Oct 27, 2017
Texas
I want playable mecha to return to the franchise, I don't see any pre-Nintendo Xeno games getting a remaster though, so I'd like a Xenoblade X Definitive Edition

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Xenoblade X style... reboot, redo, definitive, X2, whatever.

I want another giant robot in giant-er world game.

lQ8NIVD.jpg

Elster

Jun 6, 2021
Xenoblade X, sequel and/or remaster would be great. Though honestly I'll take anything in this series really.

Nov 25, 2021
Xenosaga is old enough to deserve a remake rather than the remaster treatment, and anyone who thinks otherwise is deluding themselves on their old, ailing bones. I went reboot though because I am ready for more Xenoblade Chronicles... X!

Mad Gamer 64

Nov 6, 2017
I really want Xenoblade Chronicles X on Switch. I had a Wii U when it originally came out but wasn't into the series yet. I've been tempted to hook it back up and buy it but I'd much rather play it on Switch at this point.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
You don't need a reboot to make it a 4, the stories are all relatively self-contained already.

Waffle

Oct 28, 2017
Not a full on MMO but something like Destiny whatever that's categorized under. I want to see other people populating areas.

I'd also just take a port of X.

WildArms

Apr 30, 2022
Remake X and make a sequel. The best open world game ever at least deserves that much! Need to know more about the story of mira as well!

Oxyrain

Oct 25, 2017
The Xenoblade combat systems never clicked with me, but I loved the exploration and Skells in XCX. So I think a spinoff mashing Monster Hunter (crafting and combat systems) into the XCX world would be something I could sink some time into.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know why we have to choose, Monolith's pipeline is amazing. We could get both XCXDE and Xenoblade 4 in the next 4-5 years

Gears and Saga remakes/remasters probably wouldn't fall on Monolith either

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
Just bring X to Switch and I won't ever complain, Monolith. It could just be a port done by Monster or whoever but I kinda want Monolith to add some QOL and update those faces because WOOF

Not even gonna bother hoping for Gears or Saga because of all the red tape

Zeal543

Next Level Seer
May 15, 2020
Pretty much. That's also how we got both XC1 DE and XC3. Also XC2 is too "recent" to be remaster (the game absolutely need it thought).

But yeah, if Monolith ever decides to make XCX 2, at least port the first game to the Switch or a new console.
2 doesn't need a remaster, it needs better hardware

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
Use the Switch 2 to do for XBX what Switch 1 did for XB1.

So X remaster, X2 and X3 (if they decide to make a generation-wide trilogy again)

Naha-

Feb 6, 2019
2 doesn't need a remaster, it needs better hardware

It needs a remaster at minimum just to remove or fix the whole lot of awful game designs choices that the game has. Or something like XC1 DE, which is kind of a mix between a remake and a remaster. Better hardware is a given.

With the exception of a possible X port, I really hope XC3 is the last Xeno switch game. Monolith deserves better hardware ASAP.

Sabot

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 31, 2017
New games should be priority.

The fire of those older games have burnt out, I'd rather move on than try and eat the ashes.

danhz

Apr 20, 2018
Please Nintendo
Please
I NEED to play X, remaster it, and then follow with a new game.

KraytarJ

Nov 14, 2017
X remaster into doing something with that would be my call but I'd be down for 4 or even something new.

TonyBaduy

Oct 11, 2020
Mexico
Their next game is already known, it'll be the expansion of Xenoblade 3, which will probably be another 20 hrs game at the very least. After that, who knows? But Xenoblade it's the most popular IP they have made ever.

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
a xenogears remake with an unrushed "disc 2" is my dream game.

not as a switch exclusive though. i enjoy xenoblade but they look too rough for me on nintendo hardware.