• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
If you intend to do both in row you should start with X.

Design-wise, XII is way more modern than X, it would be difficult to go from it to X imo.

Deleted member 19767

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Do X first. You'll get to experience a perfectly average game.
Then play XII and experience something great.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
FFXII is overall a better game and especially a better RPG. I replayed FFX and it has really not aged well with all the immature shit and cheap sexualization going on. Not to mention it's super hand-holdy with its rock-papers-scissors gameplay where the enemy has already shown their hand for half of the game.

In FF12 you can explore half of the world by the time you get to the first village in FF10

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
They're both fantastic games, you can't go wrong with choosing either of them first, and their individual legacies have already made far better arguments to that tune than anyone in here will make to the opposite tune.

Personally, I'd go with X first, if only because in some ways it feels more dated than FFXII, and you'll feel that more prominently if you start with XII first.

Go with X, then play XII, and then play X-2.

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Haven't played XII, FFX is the only FF I've ever actually finished.

It's a gorgeous game in many ways, and rather simple as long as you don't get into the hellishly grindy postgame.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you intend to do both in row you should start with X.

Design-wise, XII is way more modern than X, it would be difficult to go from it to X imo.
You'll want to play X first. Why? Because unlike XII, it's good.
XII's got the better gameplay and is far less linear than X.
Do X first. You'll get to experience a perfectly average game.
Then play XII and experience something great.
FFXII is overall a better game and especially a better RPG. I replayed FFX and it has really not aged well with all the immature shit and cheap sexualization going on. Not to mention it's super hand-holdy with its rock-papers-scissors gameplay where the enemy has already shown their hand for half of the game.

In FF12 you can explore half of the world by the time you get to the first village in FF10
What about FFX-2?

requiem

Dec 3, 2017
Both are exemplary examples of their genre. Go with FFX first to experience something a little more classic.

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
I'd say start with the more linear and straightforward design of FFX/X-2, and move onward to the more open system of FFXII. Then again, I absolutely loathed FFXII and never finished it to this day. The transition would be much easier going from a simpler to a more complex design.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FFX is the perfect first Final Fantasy game. 12 isn't representative of the rest of the series. It's also a boring ass game with a really boring story.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
Start with X, especially if you're new to FF. It's turn-based, so you can get the hang of things more easily, and the protagonist is himself something of a FF newbie.

X-2 is also a great intro to ATB combat. It's easy, highly customizable, and a ton of fun once you get over the general corniness of the early story.

You also get Last Mission with X/X-2, which is a pretty cool Mystery Dungeon-style crawler with randomly generated floors.

It's something I say to everyone new to FF: always start with X/X-2 HD. It's three highly different RPGs in one package, and there's sure to be something enjoyable for just about anyone who's even remotely interested in the genre.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
This is amusing seeing close together.

So which one of you is "wrong"?
tenor.gif

ScoobsJoestar

May 30, 2019

It feels less like a game and more like a very, very long epilogue to X. This isn't bad, mind. It's very good actually and it lets you see where even minor characters ended up after the first game, which is very nice. It also has a very nice battle system. But as a story in of itself...like, the plot is very much an excuse so you go on a grand tour epilogue in my opinion lol but that's not necessarily a bad thing. I like the game, but it very much stands only as a sequel. It doesn't really stand as its own game in terms of characters or story in my opinion. No arc taking place in the game is interesting in of itself, they are interesting only because you are generally interested in those characters since the last game already.

Also it bears repeating that the battle system is rad

Oct 17, 2018
X is fucking amazing imo, one of my favourite games of all time. X-2 is very meh, but the combat is good. XII is OK, nothing special but is decent fun.

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
I think X is a better overall game than XII, even if XII has much stronger writing I just don't think it's very fun to play and it felt weirdly incomplete.

Also once you finish X you can play X-2 which is the actual best game of that bunch.

Sphinx

Nov 29, 2017
One thing OP should know and no one ever mentions is that FFX2 is like a Mario Party game.

One mini-game every step of the way.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Final Fantasy X is a much better game than XII. Play X first since it's shorter, then play XII.

Deleted member 2834

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Depends on what you like. They're all good, but Zodiac Age is probably the best 2019 game out of those. It's just fantastic.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
X is a better game. Great story and pretty good battle system. X-2 has a doodoo story but frankly phenomenal battle system. XII plays itself after you get a certain amount of abilities and the story is not up to par and peters out too soon.

aesync

Jan 19, 2018
Chicago
XII the zodiac age is absolutely incredible, definitely my fav FF game and a pretty good starting place. However it's kind of a "love it or hate it" situation so maybe not the best jumping on point for everyone. Best combat in the entire series by a LONG shot imo.

If you're a fan of high fantasy, Ye Olde english dialogue, an ensemble cast and game of thrones type politics, XII is excellent. Plus theory crafting and class building is incredibly deep and something only a few FF games have.

That being said X is also incredible and I think the first FF game most of the PS2 generation kids played like me, and a great jumping on point. Voice acting is noticeably rough though. I'm more of a fan of suggesting playing 7-8-9 or something before 10 since it's kind of a continuation of the turn based system, while XII totally reinvents combat.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
X is a perfect start to get into Final Fantasy. 12 is a sad single-player MMO that will bore you to tears eventually. The cast is both great and terrible, tho.

diablogg

Oct 31, 2017
X is a perfect start to get into Final Fantasy. 12 is a sad single-player MMO that will bore you to tears eventually. The cast is both great and terrible, tho.

I think this is partly a reason I've always had trouble getting into FF12. As someone who played a shitload of FF11, in some ways it always just felt like a much worse version of it.

FFX is amazing though, I'd start with that. The game is intimate, the soundtrack is arguably one of Uematsu's best and it's easily the most well told story of the Final Fantasy series (I havn't tried FF14.) For those reasons the game is cemented in my top 10 greatest of all time list.

Spaltazar

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
XII feels like a modern game. insane productions values. best ff imo =) (single player that is).

I would play it first

Glabados

Sep 22, 2018
This is my favorite series of all time but really have to say, having played through X recently for the ~third time, that I really don't think it's aged particularly well. Extremely slow at the start, generally poor (but uneven) voice acting, linear, somewhat boring battle system that's all about fairly straightforward optimization... It's good, don't get me wrong, but feels considerably less interesting and polished than other entries.

XII is amazing. Play it.

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
X is more of a traditional FF game so I say start with that one.
XII is very divisive as you can tell, but if it clicks for you you're in for one of the most sublime JRPGs ever made. XII is personally in my top 3 FFs, but that doesn't mean its without some shortcomings.

Worldshaker

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
I'd go:
X
X2
XII

Save the best for last, and X-2 is better than X in every way minus the story so don't skip it like most people suggest. The combat system is just so good.

XII isn't a masterpiece, but it's the last great Final Fantasy.

PrismStar

Oct 27, 2017
X/X-2 is better and feels more Final Fantasy than XII. XII is not bad though, so if you have the time you could try it sometime in the future.