Jan 20, 2024
I remember seeing this in the game awards and being somewhat curious to know more, mainly because I liked the music.

But it'd be wildly helpful I think if they actually released a sample of the gameplay, instead of just extended cinematics with a smattering of the character walking or crouching.

Steam is super annoying in this regard. Whatever videos are posted on the game store page, are almost always just trailers and cinematics. Probably more of a publisher/executive issue than a steam one but whatever.

CobaltBlu

Nov 29, 2017
It has little marketing, I personally don't care much after playing some of the first game, and it's on gamepass so...

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Marketing has seemingly dropped off a cliff in recent months. Years ago Xbox hyped it up so much, they seemed to view it as a big deal for them.
I was kinda shocked when I found out just a couple days ago that it is actually about to release really soon.

Windrunner

Sly
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think marketing is the issue, these things usually get funding based on what effect it will have relative to money spent.

It needed to be on PS5 day 1, not be on Game Pass day 1 and have a physical edition to have a hope in hell. They could even have charged an extra $10.

A PS5 port is inevitable but late ports rarely fulfil full sales potential.

May 22, 2023
Florida
The second one was just not my thing. I am glad people liked it and think there was many good things about it but I think it was one of those love it or hate it games.
As far as the new one, I have seen an add or two now and then on Reddit but to be honest if it was not Heilung being involved with the music I would have forgotten about it long ago.
Considering how much Microsoft was pushing it as a hardware pusher and a showpiece , they have pretty much left it to die because they are too fixated on their new toys (Bethesda/Activision)

GulfCoastZilla

Shinra Employee
Sep 13, 2022
Even with a marketing push and no gamepass, you run the very real risk of people buying something thinking it's going to be this character action game when in fact it's going to be….probably like HB1, which is not great

What they should have done is a heavenly sword sequel. Or something like that game

Right now you have a lot riding on a game that is probably meant as a desert not a main course. .

Oct 27, 2017
Also, regarding all the mentions of marketing: it's gotten far more marketing than the couple hundred indie games ahead of it on the list…

You can say that again. Contrary to all the "zero" marketing repetition here, there have, in fact, been ads for Hellblade 2. Maybe not the ads that were put up for, say, Starfield, but a lot more than games without a big publisher.

Firebricks

Jan 27, 2018
Played the first one on Gamepass, wasn't impressed with it. Sequel looks like more of the first, so I don't really want it.

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
Despite being teased and shown over the last few years, it's really not very clear what kind of game it is. There hasn't been any meaningful hands-on previews either, so maybe Reviews will help with awareness. The game has had very poor showings on the Trailer side for anything other than trying to show visual fidelity or how trippy it is, which doesn't exactly sell a game. I expect it'll be the type that reviews well enough, wins awards, has a cult following but ultimately isn't much of a notable video game

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing shocking about this.

Anyone thinking this is more than a niche game with very limited appeal is misguided.

The first was all about presentation with any gameplay present being shallow and repetitive. It was more of an "experience" than a game and a very dark one at that.

I don't think going all out marketing is going to do anything for it.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
There's like 500000 games releasing on Steam every year, not sure it's that surprising a sequel 7 years later for a fairly niche game, that hasn't had good marketing isn't flying up the charts.

Great reviews and how pretty it is will probably have it pick up some steam around release I think, but I don't think NT are expecting this to be some huge seller.

Scarecrow

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed my time with the first, but it wasn't exactly this monumental blowout TLoU-tier game. For a while there, it felt like MS was positioning this as their premier character action piece, but they seemed to have lost interest in it. Sent to die. Hope the Ninja Theory devs have better luck.

Ry.

AVALANCHE
Oct 10, 2021
the planet Zebes
I mean, while it was a graphical powerhouse, it wasnt some Big Hit of a game, and I was thoroughly confused as to how it was green lit for a sequel to begin with. I found it boring, simplistic, and short. I don't hate it or anything, but I've never understood the acclaim.

feels more like a fleshed out tech demo.

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
I don't feel the game has a very broad appeal and MS sure isn't doing anything to raise awareness. Combine that with it being on gamepass and it's really not that surprising.

oakenhild

Oct 27, 2017
I don't feel the game has a very broad appeal and MS sure isn't doing anything to raise awareness. Combine that with it being on gamepass and it's really not that surprising.

It always felt weird how much marketing MS put into this game early on in the console cycle.

It's always felt like a pretty niche game (semi-popular, but still not mass-market like a bethesda game, or call of duty). Add on that it's a sequel and interest drops off quickly.

I personally have no interest in it, as it's just not my type of game. Had no idea it was coming out anytime soon either.

Curious on the budget, because it certainly seems like it was a big budget based on the tech alone.

MimosaSTG

Jun 7, 2022
Legit... Only buying this game to use it as a benchmark. And if I can't unlock path tracing on it with UUU, I'll probably return it.

Maybe I'll try to finish the first game and see if that will entice me to keep this one and play it.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Legit... Only buying this game to use it as a benchmark. And if I can't unlock path tracing on it with UUU, I'll probably return it.

Maybe I'll try to finish the first game and see if that will entice me to keep this one and play it.
I recommend finishing the first. The last hour and a half or so is it's strongest

EvaUnit787

Banned
Aug 6, 2023
What else would you do with it? you have to release it eventually.

For the type of game it is; I think its even being over-marketed.
But it has gotten zero marketing at all.

For example I am watching the NBA playoffs. I must have seen the same commercials since April multiple times a night. Why not put a Hellblade spot there?

They haven't done any real marketing.

L11ghtman

Jan 19, 2022
Id consider myself a pretty enthusiastic gamer and I still don't know when it's coming out beyond this month sometime. I guess I could check right now. I just haven't seen any marketing.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
would be nice if the first one was cheap on steam
supposedly game pass version isn't up to date in comparison

SneakyBeans

Chicken Chaser
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Personally I'm excited for the game, but I'll be playing it on PC game pass. So I'm not contributing to the steam numbers

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
But it has gotten zero marketing at all.

For example I am watching the NBA playoffs. I must have seen the same commercials since April multiple times a night. Why not put a Hellblade spot there?

They haven't done any real marketing.
because that would be ... really expensive? how many people watching the NBA would be interested in psychosis warrior lady simulator? honestly.

EvaUnit787

Banned
Aug 6, 2023
because that would be ... really expensive? how many people watching the NBA would be interested in psychosis warrior lady simulator? honestly.
I don't know but they could buy some 30 second spots somewhere if not the Finals. How else do you get someone that doesn't know the game interested? People that watch NBA sometime like gaming, more so than other activities they could put the spot on.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
I still have some GP months left, so will probably boot it up on PC to get a feel for it, but I'm not really hyped for it. I didn't like the style of storytelling in the first game despite beating it, so may not stick with it long if it's exactly the same.

Evildeadhead

Oct 26, 2017
I haven't paid any attention to pre release stuff because i knew i'd be playing it anyway. I'm shocked reading after how long it's been in dev they haven't made a full AAA 20 hour epic. Really does seem like it's another Forza M or Halo I where you're wondering where all the dev time went in comparison to past releases by the same studios.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
OP reallly used Enslaved and DmC as good points instead of Heavenly Sword and Kung Fu Chaos. Such heresy!

Lets be honest NT games have a limited reach. MS trying to maket Hellblade 2 as a big thing at the beginning of the Series release when Hellblade 1 did what 2 million units or so? Plus the lack of marketing. NT was put up to fail.

Res-bot

Nov 11, 2017
I think Microsoft is gonna rely on word of mouth on this one. The game has pretty good graphics, cinematics and is made from renowned developers. Quality will rise to the top.

cdudeachyut

Jun 4, 2021
I've seen no gameplay trailer for this. If there's nothing interesting to show except for graphics & cinematics then I'm not interested.

THANKS

Prophet of Regret
Oct 22, 2018
It's not a very "steam" game. I imagine most people will try it on Gamepass.

rahji

Oct 25, 2017
To be honest it doesn't look interesting. There is so much other stuff which is more interesting.

Maliq

Oct 26, 2017
For this particular game, MS are right to not put too much money into its marketing. It'll live and die by its review scores tbh and at best it'll have an audience like Alan Wake 2.

dark494

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Seattle
Are people just being willfully ignorant of the gameplay trailers and all the pieces outlets have done on it since at least december? or the xbox direct that showed it and revealed the release date in january? Or the marketing campaign listed on page 1??????? There's living under a rock, and then whatever this is.

The4thJeazy

May 14, 2020
I know it's coming out this month but still don't know what day. Only just today saw an ad in twitch for it. If Microsoft is expecting this to be a tentpole AAA game is was never gonna be that as the original was not even close to that. This game is doomed to not meet their expectations no matter what and will turn into an unfortunate restructuring for Ninja Theory.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
Or the marketing campaign listed on page 1??????? There's living under a rock, and then whatever this is.
maybe it says something about their advertising campaign when folks are saying they aren't seeing it lol
i see they are advertising on samsung smart tv and youtube for example - great in theory, except I don't own a samsung tv and I pay google to never see the ads.
I will concede i'm the weird one for not using much social media, but those ads aren't reaching me either

RoboMagik

Mar 6, 2023
You guys saw a massive marketing campaigns for Hades II, Manor Lords, V Rising etc.?
Get real, many games on Steam do well without them.

Ravio-li

Dec 24, 2018
I did NOT know that this was on steam... neither knew this was coming out in a few days, until the whole MS desaster and people mentioning HB in that context.