AndrewDean84

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fontana, California
Too many options to make a poll for. Do you prefer Medieval era? Are you a sucker for stuff in the future? Is outer space your fancy? Are you a bore and like games that take place in our current time/place?

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love dense futuristic cityscapes. Midgar in Final Fantasy 7 was great. LA in Blade Runner. shit like that

hog

Mar 9, 2021
Love a really well researched and realised historical setting. But you don't get too many games like that, so that's why I'll play every Assassin's Creed that comes out regardless of that questionable design decisions they make.

Exist 2 Inspire

Powered by Friendship™
Apr 19, 2018
Germany
Sci-Fi similar to Mass Effect or Deus Ex has to be my favorite. I can generally vibe with almost any setting though.

Oct 25, 2017
I really love the vibe of games like Metroid and Returnal. Alien environments that evoke a feeling of isolation, of not belonging there. I love those alien constructions and remnants of ancient (and perhaps dead) civilizations.

I'd love to see From Software do something like that one day, cause I'm utterly bored with fantasy settings.

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
Whatever setting I'm not currently tired of…

Like there's no such thing as a setting that interests me more than others
Sometimes you just get burnt out of something you're currently experiencing too much of.

It's why I do my best to plan to play games that are disparate possible back to back so I don't end up burning myself out on medieval fantasy or cyberpunk dystopia or zombie apocalypse, etc.

That said there are some settings that I NEVER am interested in.
Namely any setting resembling an ice level…

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
Whatever Final Fantasy VIII is … that's my favorite setting. Super-advanced future, military academies, magic, summons, small towns like Winhill, locking a sorceress in outer space, combat involving both melee weapons and firearms, dinosaurs, giant mechanical spiders, hidden cities, underground prisons … everything about the game is such an awesome mix of old tech and new tech in a society that's way way way advanced into the future.

myth

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jul 15, 2021
I like almost all kinds of themes, except maybe cyberpunk cities. The dishonored 2's world is pretty cool, it has elements of early 20th century cities and advanced(?) technology, and a little bit of fantasy. So Karnaca and prob the FBC are my fav settings.

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
Games that aren't in towns /cities. I live /lived in those it's boring as hell. Give me natural spaces.

Or in the other side very small contained areas like a single ship in space or base like ground zeroes

Ubik

Nov 13, 2018
Canada
The one place that hasn't been corrupted by capitalism.

tenor.gif

Blizz

Oct 25, 2017
Otherwordly stuff or fantasy (but not generic). Stuff that's not common like Hollow Knight's setting (underground) or Abzu's setting (underwater), or stuff like the upcoming Solar Ash.

SweetBellic

Oct 28, 2017
I love games with a blend of urban/developed and rural/undeveloped areas, whether in a grounded modern day setting (GTA), grounded historical setting (RDR, AC, KC:D), sci fi setting (Fallout, Cyberpunk), or fantasy setting (Elder Scrolls, Witcher).

Also a big fan of the spaceship hub/multiple planets setting (ME, Outer Worlds, Starfield?) and labyrinthine castles/dungeons (Dark Souls, Elden Ring?).

Dervius

Oct 28, 2017
UK
I like reasonably confined settings, like buildings, ships, complexes or space stations. Especially if they have an interior and exterior.

Talos 1 from Prey is so tangible, so well realised that it feels like an actual place in many ways. Discovering what happened in some place that's gone horribly wrong is such a compelling set-up for me.

Rapture from Bioshock is another shout, though perhaps more linear.

RPD from Remake2 is another.

monali

Mar 8, 2020
I'm not sure I have one, but to be honest after playing Pathologic 2, I wished there were more games centered on plague.

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
Hard to say, it all depends on the aesthetic and art style to me. A game with the most boring setting can be saved if there's a striking art style that goes along with it.

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
This applies to other settings I like aside from video games, but I'm a sucker for any "sci-fi, but not too futuristic and/or kind of bummy sci-fi" kind of setting. I don't know how to articulate it.

Think Cowboy Bebop; futuristic, but not idealistic.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
DLSS

jk, but I really enjoy fantasy stuff but not like medieval (though I do like that). Unique settings like in Psychonauts.

Slick Butter

Oct 25, 2017
surreal settings, and old (or weird!) west/westerns

also just generally desolate and sad and dead looking places. medieval stuff is pretty neat

Druffmaul

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 24, 2018
Favorite would be futuristic sci-fi, but I enjoy pretty much any setting. I remember playing RDR1 when it was new and watching Tron Legacy trailers... my dream ever since then has been a GTA/RDR type game set in the Tron universe.

RdN

Oct 31, 2017
I love Sci-Fi stuff. I've been having a great time with The Ascent!

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
Space/sci-fi stuff, and futuristic fantasy (like FFXIII for example). Anything futuristic really.

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
Big fan of the post-post apocalypse setting, where technology has been reset back to pre-industrial era levels, especially when it's blended with classical fantasy.

Pulp

Nov 4, 2017
I like reasonably confined settings, like buildings, ships, complexes or space stations. Especially if they have an interior and exterior.

Talos 1 from Prey is so tangible, so well realised that it feels like an actual place in many ways. Discovering what happened in some place that's gone horribly wrong is such a compelling set-up for me.

Rapture from Bioshock is another shout, though perhaps more linear.

RPD from Remake2 is another.
Yup, the same for me. It doesn't hurt that the games usually aren't very long either (sub 25 hours).

SlayerSaint

Jan 6, 2019
This is probably my least favourite setting in any medium.
Yeah. medieval/high fantasy/medieval fantasy are the worst, most oversaturated genres to me. My favorites are hard sci-fi, post apocalyptic, historical fantasy, (think of like, God of War) and westerns (which we only really get out of Red Dead unfortunately). I also love pirates but pirates really isn't a setting as much as a thing in a setting.

theLusitanian

Nov 3, 2017
Gimme that post apocalyptic Armored Core setting. I love me some Giant Robot action. I feel like they could explore the setting much more, but it tends to stay laser focused on customization with bursts of action.

I would feel remiss to not mention something akin to Bloodborne. That was an excellent setting and something that actually scared me.

nonoriri

Apr 30, 2020
Any setting can be good with the right world building, story, mechanics, and gameplay.

That said, I'm tired of dark medieval fantasy stuff. Dragon Age is the only setting in that genre I find interesting.