What Was the Most Effective Krillin Death?

• Tambourine Kick

Votes: 43 18.0%
  • Getting Impaled By Frieza, He Didn't Die, but That was Gnarly as Fuck

Votes: 22 9.2%
  • Getting Exploded by Frieza

Votes: 166 69.5%
  • Krillin Getting Done In in the Future

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Sacrificing Himself to Buu so the Other Could Try to Run

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • Sigh ... Super 17

Votes: 5 2.1%

• Total voters

Derbel McDillet

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Nov 23, 2022
The first death in Dragon Ball. Effective as hell when they found him, less effective when they showed the fight.

d4a845702889e1b41b5f21525ab4b57dc621e59cv2_hq.jpg

I'm including that time Frieza impaled him with the horn because goddamn. And he pretty much would've died if Dende didn't heal him. I'm counting it.

latest

Frieza blowing him up and sending Goku into a rage that made him become a Super Saiyan.

Krillin-Death-Dragon-Ball-Z-Frieza.jpg

Future Krillin Dying to the Androids

latest

Super Buu turning everyone at the lookout into candy and eating them. Krillin tried to be a distraction, but that didn't last long.

d487a0500464dd5b140c02ef09edacb25e5a2d2e.jpg

Whatever it was that happened with Super 17 in GT.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
In general, it's him blowing up because of what that led to.

But personally? That Tambourine Death really affected me because it was the first animated death that I can remember, and I was like 6.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
I like his first death. That shit was sad. Of course Freeza making him go kaboom is legendary too.

That damn Ryusei Nakao >:(

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I saw the blowing up first but looking back how tambourine killed him, it's more brutal.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
The first one of course. It was the first major death in the series and stakes felt high

OP
OP
Derbel McDillet

Derbel McDillet

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Nov 23, 2022
The first death is still genuinely sad to this day. The impalement I saw when I was 7ish so that really messed me up.

JdFox17

Oct 26, 2017
Tambourine was more effective from a pure emotional point of view. The explosion death was more impactful from a narrative and cultural point of view. It's a draw.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
The first one was the most real and sudden. I think after the Frieza saga death started to feel more weightless/cheap.

Oct 29, 2017
His first death in Dragon Ball...in the manga, when it just came out of nowhere.

The anime ruined it by telegraphing everything. Might as well have put "KRILLIN IS FUCKED" in bright neon letters.

Daingurse

Oct 25, 2017
The Frieza death has definitely stuck with me the most. Krillin was visibly scared and pleading for help. It also looked like an incredibly painful way to go. The way his diaphragm expanded before he exploded is seared in my mind. Yeah, that was a rough death.

His original death in OG Dragon Ball was really shocking though, I have to admit.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
In general, it's him blowing up because of what that led to.

But personally? That Tambourine Death really affected me because it was the first animated death that I can remember, and I was like 6.

Pretty much. His initial death is more shocking because it was the first time in Dragonball that the stakes really became ENTRENCHED. People can die, and it's not played for a laugh. It was the series growing up, in some regards.

By comparison, the Namek death probably meant more to the franchise overall on a business level by introducing Super Saiyan, but it was also at a point in the story where death had already formally been trivialized with resurrection wishes, so its impact outside of triggering SSJ was...lessened.

Virtua King

Banned
Dec 29, 2017
The Frieza one is iconic, but his first death in Dragon Ball is so sad. Goku doesn't even eat after the tournament because he senses something is wrong, and his fears turn out to be true.

Muetsch

Oct 27, 2017
As a kid I wasnt familiar with animes in general or Dragonball but that first one fucked me up something fierce back then! Absolutely devasting to 8–9 year old me

But looking back now it's probably from Freezer

Mar 30, 2019
Yeah I think it's the first one with Tambourine. Even though I couldn't watch the whole of Dragon Ball before it transitioned to Z initially.

So I was most affected by the horn impalement by Freeza first. That one stuck with me longest. Then I caught the explosion/ssj triggering later because of irregular viewing times. Which I then conflated with the impalement as the death that triggered Goku into Super Saiyan.

It wasn't until later that I sat down and watched the whole thing in proper order that the Tambourine death stood out. There is proper dramatic pacing going on there in that video. Been a while. I sometimes forget how the DB world felt before the faster space-faring pace of Z.

Luigi87

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
First death. It was what caused Goku to really lose it for the first time.

Oct 28, 2017
Man I remember watching Dragon Ball Z in 2000 when I was still in the Navy and the people I watching it with never saw it before. This was on Cartoon Network. When he died during the Freiza fight...the whole room just went DEAD! Bunch of grown-ass sailors just silent.

hopeblimey

Sep 23, 2023
The impaling and then him flopping around still attached the horn was crazy.

But his explosion is the winner.

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
I'm one of those filthy ones who experienced DBZ first so Freeza killing Krillin had more of an impact on me

Edit: I think it was in DBZ Budokai when I first saw it, my mouth went 😱

Zemoco

Jan 12, 2021
In terms of effectiveness as in the death itself? Tambourine easily. It was definitely shocking at the time, something so visceral.

Krillin's death against Frieza was more of a plot device to pay off the buildup of SSJ.

Feb 24, 2018
The Tambourine Kick because of the consequences of it.

Not only does it result in Goku going full blood thirsty and leading to the cycle of the Demon King Piccolo arc, but it had consequences years after it happened.

We're all probably familiar with this:
dude-got-injured-and-hit-the-yamcha-death-pose-v0-8k9zapm37jxc1.jpg

What's often not discussed (besides how people seem to assume the T4S is how it actually happened) is WHY it happened.

Yamcha stopped Krillin from going first because he knew Krillin couldn't come back via the Dragon Ball's again and didn't want him to take that risk. What's often forgotten is that Yamcha HAD won the fight and only died because the Saibaman suddenly did the self-destruct attack that none of the heroes saw coming; had Yamcha not stepped in, Krillin would have been dead for good and it's VERY clear Krillin is aware of that fact throughout the rest of the arc and Freeza arc because he clearly suffers from survivor's guilt afterwards.

Skeeter49

I wish Jim Ryan would eat me
Oct 25, 2017
You can argue teh Tamborine one almost got Goku killed. Instead of a power boost it led to him going to his death, luckily surviving thanks to Yajirobe.
Super Buu didn't achieve much either.

It's Frieza.

INST

Nov 2, 2017
In-universe it's Freeza blowing him up.

But for the viewers it really should be Tamborine, for me it was. Because by the point Freeza blows him up, we've gotten used to death as a minor inconvenience. Like he was there to wish his other death friends back in the first place. So Freeza killing him was essentially just transporting him to another planet.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
OG death for sure

after the Saiyan saga I knew "death" didn't mean shit, although I was pretty well aware he wouldn't stay dead after Tambourine either

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
In-universe it's Freeza blowing him up.

But for the viewers it really should be Tamborine, for me it was. Because by the point Freeza blows him up, we've gotten used to death as a minor inconvenience. Like he was there to wish his other death friends back in the first place. So Freeza killing him was essentially just transporting him to another planet.
OG death for sure

after the Saiyan saga I knew "death" didn't mean shit, although I was pretty well aware he wouldn't stay dead after Tambourine either
The rules they established were that you can only be wished back once and only if your body was in tact, though. Krillin being blown up by Frieza was his second death and his body was destroyed.

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
It's gotta be when Frieza blew him up. I can still see and hear that in my mind, decades later.

Kiyamet

Apr 21, 2024
We're voting for effectiveness so it has to be him blowing up

Its the precursor to SSJ which changed the game forever

As far as the most gnarly I dont know what you guys are talking about but the Tambourine death was a joke - I literally couldn't believe it. Even though he didnt die getting impaled by Frieza's horn is second only to Goku getting worked by Piccolo a the end of DB.