leon9506

Aug 31, 2018
The witcher 3 downgrade, even though I still enjoyed the game, but the downgrade made me go from super hyped about this game to not really hyped I guess I'm still gonna play it

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Mass effect Andromeda revealed to being a mess compared to the previous entries days before it's release.

masseffectcrabwalk.gif.b6dd4699a63cce5f0253a2c208d38967.gif

450.gif

3YN0Re8.gif

I just ended my fourth attempt at completing this game 22 hours in. It was surprisingly okay after about 10 hours but the menu system and general bad animations just made it not worth the time. Absolutely squandered its potential though the story and writing wasn't as bad as expected.

Svejk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Learning that the VR in Ace Combat 7 was only geared to it's own, very few missions, and not implemented through it the entire campaign... Game is still great though.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
I just ended my fourth attempt at completing this game 22 hours in. It was surprisingly okay after about 10 hours but the menu system and general bad animations just made it not worth the time. Absolutely squandered its potential though the story and writing wasn't as bad as expected.

ME Andromeda isn't the dumpster fire it's made out to be. It's by far the worst ME game, the main plot is forgettable trash, and the "Ryder" twins are charisma vacuums, but once they fixed all of the stuff that was awful at launch (dead eyes, buggy inverse kinematics, etc.), it was perfectly serviceable.

I finished the game, and while it wasn't an amazing experience, it's not like I regretted my time with it.

Alias03

Oct 27, 2017
TLoU2 not having MP was a huge gut punch to me personally. I absolutely adore Factions and have put many hundreds of hours into it on both PS3 and then PS4. To me it's the most unique MP out there even given how bare bones it always was.

So for the sequel as much as I was looking forward to SP, I was more hyped to see the evolution of Factions and how they could iterate on the formula without straying too far from what made it great. That being said if they deliver on this separate MP project, and making it stand alone gives it more life and long term support, I'm all for that.

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
First person Cyberpunk. This game was the chosen one for me until that announcement. I'll still enjoy it but unless a really good 3rd person mod is possible, it's gone down some notches.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Seriously, I know I already posted it, but SimCity (2013). The always-online, if it had actually worked instead of being a trainwreck at launch, would have been excusable and eventually forgotten.

But this? THIS?

MHIbxyZ.jpg

BEy7wqM.jpg

This was the deathblow. And it's made worse because the way they built the game, there's no way to mod around it without massive performance issues.

And it's something that genuinely seemed to be hidden right up until launch, with preview material always focused on these low angle or zoomed in shots with no dotted line. It took so many people by surprise.

I actually sunk a couple hundred hours into this game, but yeah - the revelation of how small the cities were, was (ironically) huge. People were furious.

All of the previews for it leading to launch made it look like this was going to be the most amazing Sim City ever, and instead it basically destroyed Maxis.

If the cities were even just 4x the size, I still think it could've been great. The online play was interesting, with people having mutliple cities in an area who could all visit and trade with each other. But the idea that it was "required" because of the AI was pure bollocks.

DeSolos

Nov 14, 2017
Stella and other key Versus XIII moments have been removed from Final Fantasy XV...
novacrystallis.com

Stella and other key Versus XIII moments have been removed from Final Fantasy XV - Nova Crystallis

Much of the game we knew as Final Fantasy Versus XIII is no more, now made evident today by director Hajime Tabata who shared new reasoning behind changes long suspected. By far the biggest change is the removal of Stella Nox Fleuret – who was set to be the main heroine opposite of Noctis. “We […]

You know this game you've waited nearly a decade for? We removed everything you liked about it up until now.

Kapryov

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
"Always Online" requirements are the killing blow for me.

I was super hyped for Mortal Kombat 11, and it still looks like a fun game, but nah. If you're going to force me to stay online at all times just to unlock silly little bits and pieces in your Krypt, then I can wait for a rock bottom sale.

MercBerserk

Oct 25, 2017
Finding out that the sequel to Castlevania Lords of Shadow 2 was flat ,boring, dry and uninspiring,.

This was rough cause i really loved the original, and was looking forward to the sequel. HOW do you mess that up.

Mr.Branding

Banned
May 11, 2018
The mk11 content grind reveal made me drop the game. Picked it back up these days and it is still almost the same.
Samsho netcode and lack of a classic random arcade mode
Soulcalibur Vi lack of stages.

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
Pokémon Sword/Shield not having all of the Pokémon included. It went from my most-hyped Switch game to something I barely cared about

Oct 8, 2019
Warcraft III: Reforged: A remake of my favorite RTS game of all times made me really excited despite that Blizzcon being a total disappointment for everything else. Then the next Blizzcon they quietly announced that they were scrapping redone cutscenes, and were not making story changes to create a more coherent lore. I love the game but later changes to the story (including some as quickly as Frozen Throne) makes several moments seem less epic than they should have been. They didn't even lower the price, they just scrapped all this stuff because they felt like they would make more profit by creating a cheaper game. There charging you 40 bucks for something that comes off like a 20 dollar game I would buy on sale for 10 dollars.

Final Fantasy XV: Made me really excited looking for all the new playable characters they would finally be revealing, and then they revealed it was just the same 4 guys for the entire game. The news that Noctis would be the only playable character (at least at launch) made me decide not to buy the game. After playing FF VII Remake though I am getting back into JRPGs so I probably will buy the Royal Edition when it comes out to something like 20-25 bucks.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Pokemon ORAS had no Battle Frontier

And then finding out the cuts in SwSh were even more severe than we thought, including the absence of the GTS

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
I remember the metric ton of hype building up to the release of Destiny. When the demo came out, ppl started saying the demo was a huge chunk of the game and that the game was small relative to what was anticipated.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
As a non-Souls fan, I have never seen this before.

And I have literally never seen anything else like it before. Absolutely amazing.
The game is a mess throughout it's pretty crazy how much it feels like it's thrown together.

The craziest part about the lighting thing is there are still torches and braziers and light-centric items all over the world from when you'd actually need to manage that as an aspect of the gameplay, and now they're all basically worthless.

Nov 2, 2017
Birmingham, AL
I am not sure this counts, but the thing that comes to mind first is having the hype completely drained a few months ago when I realized Final Fantasy 7 Remake was exclusive to the PS4.

I had sworn it was gonna be a multiplatform release, especially after Kingdom Hearts 3 and previous FF games made it to the Xbox. Just killed any and all intentions of ever playing it.

Oct 8, 2019
I am not sure this counts, but the thing that comes to mind first is having the hype completely drained a few months ago when I realized Final Fantasy 7 Remake was exclusive to the PS4.

I had sworn it was gonna be a multiplatform release, especially after Kingdom Hearts 3 and previous FF games made it to the Xbox. Just killed any and all intentions of ever playing it.

Its a timed exclusive PC, and Xbox will get it a year after Playstation. When Sony announced it a E3 2015 they always mentioned that you "can play it first on playstation"

Nov 2, 2017
Birmingham, AL
Its a timed exclusive PC, and Xbox will get it a year after Playstation. When Sony announced it a E3 2015 they always mentioned that you "can play it first on playstation"

I never watched any of Sonys briefings as I have not been a big fan of their stance and attitude towards things since the PS4 reveal, and I don't care much for timed exclusives. I think it's a shitty practice. Skipped out on the KH3 and the Control DLC for the same thing.

Kieli

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

If anything, you lucked out. The PS4 has some texture streaming and skybox issues. I'm personally waiting for the PS5/PC re-release.

Psoelberg

Oct 26, 2017
Cyberpunk2077 being first person only. It's not that I don't see why they made that decision, it's more that 80% of first person games make me motion sick. Hopefully this isn't one of them.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
The cuts of Pokémon in sword and shield.

i still enjoy my play through. But some of my teams are still stuck in the cloud

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
No Man's Sky not having multiplayer despite it being said in nearly every interview it was possible to find your friend.

That shit killed all my hype for the game immediately.

Wyatt+

Jan 15, 2020
Metroid: Other M. When I learned that you could only play the game with a Wii Remote. No nunchuk. No analog stick.

Just... why?

Jam

Oct 25, 2017
I wish I learned this before I spent $80 on an a pre-release copy.

I never understood this about No Man's Sky, a lot of us were asking from day one of the original reveal "but... what is it?" and that literally never got answered.

The hype cycle and disappointment for No Man's Sky will forever be one of the world's biggest mysteries to me.

Game looked cool and interesting but it was evidently abundant since the beginning all there was in the game was the procedurally generated worlds and looking at them/travelling between them; no matter what the Devs said it always sounded like vague empty promises.

TL;DR - I have an exciting investment opportunity for anyone who fell for No Man's Sky's "hype".

(Not to shit on the game, but OG NMS was just a fun little exploration title but the hype behind it was stupidly insane, and the team have done a lot of work to improve it.)

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
Don't see many people talk about it, but 343i and Halo 5 Guardians lying through their teeth about the map count still bothers me.

'Oh wow, that's huge. 20+ dev made maps!'

E3 2015: "Halo 5 Guardians will launch with 6 Warzone maps"
'6 Warzone maps, and 14 Arena maps? This game is going to be content packed!'

'Okay, unexpected, but at least there'll be 20+ dev maps, and Forge looks incredible!'

Mid-October, 2015: 3 of the 6 Warzone maps were revealed to be sectioned off versions of the others
'343i...You spoke as though you had designed 6 unique Warzone maps. These are literally copy-pasted. Kinda shitty, though at least there will be 14 Arena maps to tide us over'

Mid-October, 2015: 4 of the 14 maps were revealed to be Forge Maps
Okay, wtf is this?

For months 343i proudly touted how Halo 5 was going to be the biggest and most content-rich Halo yet. Fans were led to the reasonable assumption that there would be more than 20+ maps at launch, when in reality 3 of these were copy-paste efforts in Warzone, 2 were remixes of other Arena maps, and 4 were forged by the community. "Over 20 maps at launch" was really 3 unique Warzone maps, 8 Arena maps, and then 2 forge canvasses. 13, not 20+.

The fact that they included Forge maps in their tally was just spectacularly egregious imo. No one in the community ever considered Forge maps would count towards the tally because historically they never were, and no one expected Forge would be released separately. By that same logic, 343i and Bungie could have claimed Halo 3, Reach and 4 launched with effectively infinite maps. It almost felt like 343i was intentionally elusive in order to bolster their map count.

Even their claims of "16+ maps as free DLC" were similarly muted, with 7 of these 16 being remixes as well.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll probably think of some that hit me more close to home (The garbage controls and story of Another Century's Episode R comes to mind) but RE3R is the most recent I can think of.

What a fucking disappointment.

Lazybob

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Pokemon SwSh cutting the GTS. There was other shit I wasn't happy with but at least could accept but the GTS was an important feature for generations that got cut with no adequate replacement in a game that made trading with others, even friends, more of a pain then ever.

Not suprised reviews gave the dex cuts a pass, that feature wouldn't come into play until post game and in some gens it wasn't available at launch anyway which is why I couldn't bring myself to care about beyond thinking "oh well that sucks."

Stairouais

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
France
Animal Crossing Cloud saves politics.

Animal crossing single island per switch.

Animal Crossing single Island rep per switch.

Animal crossing multiple loading times for multiplayer.

JimNastics

Jan 11, 2018
It's probably been said, but finding out that Banjo Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts (before we knew it was called that) wasn't going to be a direct sequel adventure game absolutely killed me back then, and to this day we're strill waiting.

The Emperor

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't count but VII Remake being episodic lessened my hype

Then last year VII Ep 1 being Midgar only destroyed my hype

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
ME Andromeda isn't the dumpster fire it's made out to be. It's by far the worst ME game, the main plot is forgettable trash, and the "Ryder" twins are charisma vacuums, but once they fixed all of the stuff that was awful at launch (dead eyes, buggy inverse kinematics, etc.), it was perfectly serviceable.

I finished the game, and while it wasn't an amazing experience, it's not like I regretted my time with it.

Yeah it's actually a decent game if you can get past all that. Faint praise I know but it was much better than I expected. Might give it another chance later this year.

Xadra

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2018
The game that instantly comes to my mind is Pokémon Sword & Shield. They cut something that I thought it was untouchable: the Pokédex.

ferroseed168

Aug 8, 2018
Not exactly close to launch. But I had been waiting three years for Pokemon Gen 8 and the E3 2019 announcement of the Pokedex cut just killed all my interest in the game

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
To me it was GTA5, there was the marketing with powerful women (female cop arresting a girl criminal)... I hyped myself thinking that at last i would play as a charismatic lady trying to foray her path in the world of the macho organized crime.
it was not so, and worse... it was not a single character affair but a 3 members thing ... I thought the immersion would suffer greatly jumping incessantly from character to character during missions and was fed up to have men men men men men men men only men to play in this series.

Finally, the online game combo when it was announced made me think activities would be locked behind online and we would never get single player story expansion (for that i was right).

ZaChzOOming

Oct 27, 2017
To me :
(1) delay in launch
(2) bad reviews
(3) unexpected restrictive features

While dampening the hype somewhat, these won't stop me from wanting to play games I have been looking foward to.. I'll still play them, more than likely at launch

Freewheelin

Nov 1, 2017
LA Noire for me. I'm a huge film noir fan and loved the idea of being a detective in 1940s LA. Interrogating random suspects, stumbling across crime scenes etc

It then came out and it's basically a linear game with 1940s LA to drive around. I mean, it's cool to see old Hollywood recreated extremely authentically but man, I was expecting a more open world :(