• Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull

Votes: 502 29.9%
  • Star Wars Rise of Skywalker

Votes: 1,179 70.1%

• Total voters

Zampano

The Fallen
Dec 3, 2017
It's Crystal Skull because the franchise was flawless when it came out and the movie ruined it. Star Wars was already mostly bad or mediocre after prequels etc.

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
I think they are both decent films in their respective franchise, but clearly conflicting audience reactions.

I think Crystal Skull was more of a missed opportunity, in comparison to Skywalkerjust feeling sloppy and rushed

Deleted member 3542

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Crystal Skull still has some great moments in it, tells a complete story and it's no more absurd and "over the top" as some of the craziness in Temple of Doom.

Skywalker is just all over the map and has no idea what it wants to do. It also lacks some memorable moments, other than Rey/Kylo water fight I have a hard time recalling a lot of it.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
I actually just felt bad for the monkeys in that scene.

But honestly, everything about Crystal Skull is just kind of amusing if you turn you brain off and treat it for the nonsensical action film that it is. :P

Ya, I don't hate it like most people do and I really never had an issue with the fridge. That one sequence though was really bad even if you try to turn your brain off. It just even visually looked so bad and fake. Changing that scene to something more grounded or something that doesn't look as bad would have really made a difference on the impression the movie had on me.

Oct 27, 2017
Crystal Skull is mostly a pretty fun movie. It just doesn't hold a candle to the previous movies and is held back by some atrocious CGI set pieces.

Rise of Skywalker just plain sucks. It's fucking terrible top to bottom.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
Crystal Skull is still a fairly solid Indy adventure, despite a lot of dumb-even-for-the-series elements. There's a lot of good stuff in it if you look past the one or two scenes the internet's obsessed with.

Rise of Skywalker is way more problematic all around. The premise itself is needlessly ridiculous, and it only gets worse from there. It's the end result of the tug-of-war between Abrams and Johnson, who clearly had two very different visions for the trilogy and weren't the least bit interested in the other's approach.

Deleted member 3542

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ya, I don't hate it like most people do and I really never had an issue with the fridge. That one sequence though was really bad even if you try to turn your brain off. It just even visually looked so bad and fake. Changing that scene to something more grounded or something that doesn't look as bad would have really made a difference on the impression the movie had on me.

I find the only really, really dumb thing that takes me out of the movie is the swingin' monkey scene. Everything else is kind of typical Indy craziness that I'm all for, dude has been through and survived absurd shit for three movies already, but Shia with monkeys teaching him to swing was just bananas.

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
TRoS can't be ignored and ruins the end of a solid trilogy.

Crystal Skull follows a good trilogy and can be ignored.

AgentOtaku

Oct 27, 2017
As an aside, I find it more awkward to go back and watch Crystal Skull due to Shia labouf being in it :/

Deleted member 3542

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
TRoS can't be ignored and ruins the end of a solid trilogy.

Crystal Skull follows a good trilogy and can be ignored.

This is also a major factor. Indy movies are all standalone, Star Wars all have to tie in with each other and you have to watch them to get the full story. To have a part really drop the ball hurts the overall saga.

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
This is true though. If it weren't for the terrible decisions made in the second film, the third film wouldn't have ended up the way it did.

Wrong.

Firstly, the decisions made in TLJ were good.

Secondly, Trevorrow's script took into account the events of TLJ and would have been a decent film (with some changes), certainly better than TRoS. There was nothing inevitable about TRoS.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Rise of Skywalker and it's not even close. Crystal Skull sucks, but at least it's still structurally a movie. Rise of Skywalker is like an outline for two movies smashed together, without any full scenes actually being written.

s1lver

Oct 28, 2017
I blame TLJ for taking so many shit decisions that turned ROTS a lot worse than it could have been (no way of knowing now)

Crystal Skull wins the shit prize.

Deleted member 19533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wrong.

Secondly, Trevorrow's script took into account the events of TLJ and would have been a decent film (with some changes), certainly better than TRoS. There was nothing inevitable about TRoS.
The movie tried to course correct as a result of the second film. It's a bad movie, but it's still not the worst in that trilogy. What happened was a result of course correcting. You're welcome to say someone else could have done it better, but it is cause and effect.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Crystal Skull has a couple scenes that, when viewed in a vacuum, are serviceable.

TROS has nothing. NOTHING.

Oct 27, 2017

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Oh look this thread is already becoming a TLJ discussion.

Riveting Era.

Tansut

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 16, 2017
Wrong.

I love how it frames Abrams and co as some victims that were so shackled by TLJ that they had no recourse but to make the most creatively bankrupt story choices in the franchise.

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Skywalker, easily. That movie has fundamental problems. It's utterly unsalvageable without throwing out the entire base premise. Even RotS rates higher than that.

I blame TLJ for taking so many shit decisions that turned ROTS a lot worse than it could have been (no way of knowing now)

The movie tried to course correct as a result of the second film. It's a bad movie, but it's still not the worst in that trilogy. What happened was a result of course correcting. You're welcome to say someone else could have done it better, but it is cause and effect.

I don't see how TLJ forced TROS to sideline Rose, leave Finn dangling with nothing or bring grandpappy Palps out of nowhere.

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Crystal Skull is whatever, with some fun bits and with other things that drag it down.

RoS is a bad film the whole way through, with no themes or character work to hold it together.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Oh look this thread is already becoming a TLJ discussion.

Riveting Era.

fvs9Tmy.jpg

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
Crystal Skull has a couple scenes that, when viewed in a vacuum, are serviceable.

TROS has nothing. NOTHING.

I hate TRoS as much as the next guy, but I'd say it does have some serviceable-to-good scenes when viewed in a vaccuum.

The Han and Kylo scene.

Rey shooting lightning at the transport.

Probably a couple more I'm forgetting.

Even the most garbage Star Wars films have one or two good scenes in isolation, such as the Maul fight in TPM or the opera scene in RotS. Although I'm racking my brains for AotC...Anakin on his speeder with Duel of the Fates playing on Tatooine?

hordak

Oct 31, 2017
Anaheim, CA
Worst thing that came out of Crystal Skull was a mediocre Indiana Jones film and the amusing but nonsensical "nuke the fridge" scene.
Rise of Skywalker is forever going down as a massive blunder on the reputation of Star Wars, which is saying something regardless of how one feels about the movie.
i think we give Crystal Skull a lot of shit because indiana Jones 1-3 was so fucking amazing, our expectations were set too high.

With Skywalker, it wasnt a terrible star wars movie. It was a terrible movie all together. It literally makes no sense. It felt like it was written by a high school kid who kinda only watched the previous star wars movies, and had to write a script for homework and finished it on the bus ride to school.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Crystal Skull is wayyyy more enjoyable, more competently crafted, and more fun. It also does less to sully the previous films. Crystal Skull is better than most people give it credit for tbh, it just pales in comparison to past films.

Rise of Skywalker is a poor movie on its own, a worse movie when compared to past entries, and an even worse movie when taken as an ending to a massive arc

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Gimme a break, don't try to redirect this to be another hatefest on TLJ. TLJ is quite honestly irrelevant to TROS' problems, since it basically pretends it didn't exist/barely happened.

TROS is a structural mess that is just a skeleton of a macguffin quest, featuring a half dozen supporting characters with essentially no plot or development of their own (including both characters who were in the previous movies of the trilogy as well as brand new ones), wrapped around a completely out of left field resurrection of Palpatine, robbing Kylo Ren of his setup of being the main antagonist, that culminates in a wet fart of a climax.

None of that has anything to do with TLJ.

TROS is quite honestly one of the worst blockbusters ever made.

Deleted member 19533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't see how TLJ forced TROS to sideline Rose, leave Finn dangling with nothing or bring grandpappy Palps out of nowhere.
This isn't the thread for this, but them trying to fix it led to those decisions being made.
Gimme a break, don't try to redirect this to be another hatefest on TLJ. TLJ is quite honestly irrelevant to TROS' problems, since it basically pretends it didn't exist/barely happened.

TROS is a structural mess that is just a skeleton of a macguffin quest, featuring a half dozen supporting characters with essentially no plot or development of their own (including both characters who were in the previous movies of the trilogy as well as brand new ones), wrapped around a completely out of left field resurrection of Palpatine, robbing Kylo Ren of his setup of being the main antagonist, that culminates in a wet fart of a climax.

There's multiple people ITT saying the same thing, and I wasn't even the first. I agreed with someone else. Your dogpiling is changing the course of this thread. Let others have a different view and bugger off.

Auros01

Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
I can't really vote because I hardly remember Crystal Skull. I'd have to go back and watch it but I do remember being pretty underwhelmed at the time. However, that was before I was really into online movie reviews/discussion prior to a movies release. So, I didn't know what to expect but walked away disappointed.

I walked into TROS knowing exactly what to expect due to early impressions, so my feeling coming out of the movie wasn't that bad.

AgentOtaku

Oct 27, 2017

Amen

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
This is actually a tough one. I went with Rise mainly because it took a giant dump on the entire saga. Indiana Jones movies aren't really narratively connected so one bad one doesn't hurt the rest.

JediMPG

Avenger
Jan 6, 2019
Rise of Skywalker. As a young SW fan who grew up with both the original and prequel trilogy, who enjoyed TFA and what TLJ brought to the table..it's legit the one Star Wars film I just can't stand. There's a couple decent moments in the film but overall just a bad film