Sir Wiart

Mar 11, 2024
Canada
Places that serve large portions or unlimited promos always remind me of the movie Platform. North Americans treat food differently than the rest of the world. We lost a lot of aspects that made us have sympathy/respect for others, even with something simple as this.

Radd Redd

Oct 27, 2017
Every time you find a cheap place that has all you can eat crab legs they never last long.

People will eat crab legs all day if they could.

Spook & Spell

Aug 3, 2021
I'm a literal-fucking-nobody who struggles with basic finance management and I could have told them that endless crustacean anything on the menu would send them to certain financial ruin.

Sacrilicious

Oct 30, 2017
Red Lobster has such a strange business model.

1. Sell expensive seafood and relatively cheap prices
2. Lose money whenever you become popular
3. ???
4. Profit...?

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
So how do those Chinese buffets put up endless shrimp?

It must be very low quality.

I imagine it's a business model thing. Buffets don't have servers like other restaurants, and can just 'not' cook things for awhile (which would anger customers but you don't wind up with tables waiting on plates all the time).

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
I've been doing this for years for our family's Thanksgivings and they've turned out great

Apparently, they now have a "ready-to-bake" version also:

Red-Lobster-Cheddar-Bay-Frozen-Biscuits-Ready-to-Bake-Makes-8-Biscuits-15-66-oz-Box_0a85518f-8d27-4706-96f3-36f83467852c.4d2eec208d0ff2f632ac6081ffeee303.jpeg
oh baby

Nida

Aug 31, 2019
Everett, Washington
My sister got out of alcohol rehab a few months ago and desperate for a job she ended up a server at Red Lobster.

She was pretty fucking miserable, and mostly it was the customers. People coming in 5 minutes before close and ordering endless shrimp, people not tipping, being rude to her. And her manager just kinda shrugged a lot of it off.

She's now at a sushi place where after like 2 months she's gotten a raise and is candidate for head server promotion.

Please tell your sister that some random on the internet is cheering her on.

Grym

Oct 27, 2017
Me and my brother ate so much fucking crab during that deal in 2003. Just piles and piles and piles of it.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
Red Lobster peaked after it got spin off General Mills.

The last time I ate at Red Lobster it seriously was a full one hour wait for a table at like 5:15 on a Saturday. I skipped call ahead seating or whatever because I thought it was early enough :(

Everyone in that place was ordering the endless shrimp.

But then at the end of the meal my wife and I were discussing how it felt like something was off. Like the food just wasn't that good. So we haven't been back since then.

Old farts will remember the 90s and maybe early 00s when Red Lobster was a place to take your prom date or something (Olive Garden too). I would genuinely rather eat at Chilis now.

Funny to think we use to consider Red Lobster the fancy place. My mother decided she wanted to go there a few months back because of the endless shrimp, first time I've been to one in probably 15 years at least. Yeah it sucked, I don't care for sea food and last time I had shrimp, coincedentally at Red Lobster, was back when i was around 12 and got sick from it. Anyway, we went in and the place was kinda dead, they stripped the menu of the alternatives I use to get, there use to be a chicken thing that was good, i ended up with over priced cod, bleh. On the shrimp they brought out a small amount every time and after leaving it was decided to never go again.

Red Lobster has such a strange business model.

1. Sell expensive seafood and relatively cheap prices
2. Lose money whenever you become popular
3. ???
4. Profit...?
It's more a private equity firm doing what private equity firms do and incompetent ownership from Thai Union Group that mainly put Red Lobster in this mess rather than the endless shrimp that was meant to be a loss leader doing what it was meant to do. Not very effective when your food tastes like it came out of a microwave.

falcondoc

Oct 29, 2017
Echoing the others who thought Red Lobster was a fancy restaurant growing up. The culture around chains was just different in the 80s/90s.

Kenai

Oct 26, 2017
My most detailed memory of Red Lobster is when I had just moved from California to Indiana. I was about 9. I ordered the shrimp platter and it was about half the size of what I had in Cali a few months prior and almost double the price. My disappointment was great.

Kitsunebaby

Oct 27, 2017
Annapolis, Maryland
Good lord. I'd not eat for a day or two before I went in and ordered the unlimited lobster tails, so I could shove as much into my mouth hole as humanly possible.

They continued to put some seafood risotto on the first 5 plates they brought me, hoping to tempt me into filling up on starch. But I was focused, determined to fill myself as full of lobster as possible. I think I managed to eat 10 or 11 one of those nights. They were about 4 ounce lobster tails.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
A much of unconfirmed reports on social media that red lobster closed abruptly today and didn't notify employees they were laid off. Reports are coming from all over, might be nationwide.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
A much of unconfirmed reports on social media that red lobster closed abruptly today and didn't notify employees they were laid off. Reports are coming from all over, might be nationwide.

Seems to be happening in lots of places.

Super shitty thing to do after a weekend of graduations / Mothers Day. I'm sure management still threatened their servers over not showing up for Mother's Day.

AwShucks

Oct 27, 2017
I just realized the two locations I used to go to pre-pandemic have long since closed. And it seems the closest one is closed as well as the hours all say "CLOSED" on their site. That's unfortunate, I actually liked their grilled rainbow trout. I do have a great seafood place by me but they are way more expensive.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
Wow. Could be as many as 120 locations?

Danville Mayor Rickey Williams Jr. posted to his Facebook page Monday morning stating, "I was just notified by one of our local Red Lobster managers that after 31 years of serving our community, without notice, their parent company laid off the entire crew and closed the restaurant effective immediately. This is despite the fact that they were rated number 15 out of over 600 stores for customer service and satisfaction last year. They also shuddered nearly another 120 stores without notice."

www.news-gazette.com

Danville's Red Lobster closes abruptly

A sign on the restaurant's door at 3217 N. Vermilion St., says "This location is closed. We look forward to serving you at another Red Lobster location in the future."

Killzig

Oct 25, 2017
Damn so the dipshit running Sheffield Wednesday into the ground is the same asshole who killed Red Lobster? Incredible business brains.

Oct 27, 2017