Oct 25, 2017
México
I'm Mexican. OG Dragon Ball was huge here in the country because it was shown over the air on a national channel. I think I was I was about 12 or 13 when the Super Saiyan episode aired.

Every friend of mine was very hyped, and it was all we could talk the whole week. Amazing times.

99Luffy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
English dbz came years and years after so SSJ wasnt really a surprise. They already spoiled it in the intro even.

SupremeWu

Banned
Dec 19, 2017
Finally. was my reaction.

Finally. Holy crap.

Roseanne starts in three minutes can we please.

SaviourMK2

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I thought the series was about to end. When Freiza, the strongest being in the universe (hard laugh in the distance) it outmatched by the main character, where do you go from there?

Nov 13, 2017
The most iconic screenshot in the entire DBZ franchise history:

goku-dragon-ball-z-super-saiyan-235339.jpg

Argot

Oct 29, 2017
IIRC it wasn't that much of a surprise as they had been basically building up to it for a while. Even my tween self could understand foreshadowing. The context was the more exciting part at the time.

Oct 27, 2017
English dbz came years and years after so SSJ wasnt really a surprise. They already spoiled it in the intro even.
Yeah. I'm pretty sure I had a poster and also had toys/ action figures that were super Saiyan before it happened. That was actually kinda cool tho. I remember going into FYE and buying a perfect cell and great saiyaman action figure and having no idea who they were but got to show them off to friends

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
I was watching with a friend on Toonami. We both yelled like mad Men. Great times!

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Like most said, I knew it was coming but still freaked out when it finally happened. I remember it sort of being a big deal amongst my friends.

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017
Release schedule being what it was, my group of friends got exposed to the Super Saiyan (Saiyajin, Sayan, Sayn, w/e the shoddy subs used) from bootleg copies of the movies or some of the sloppy video games.

I do vividly remember talking with friends about the episode finally airing.

Kamek

Oct 27, 2017
I had 14.4 or 56k or something so young me kind of knew something would happen, and it was in the intro, but I think young me was fucking hype after they stopped showing that one episode of the ginyu force src that repeated the series from the beginaibe. I didn't understand the rest hadn't been dubbed yet.

Syder

The Moyes are Back in Town
Oct 25, 2017
Obviously had no idea that it had happened years before in Dragonball's homeland.

The build-up, the way the music swells.. it was fucking perfect and I remember watching it vividly as kid on Toonami. The thing you talk about for hours at school the next day. A great childhood memory.

Chills from just seeing this frame.

Havok

Oct 27, 2017
Northern VA
The english dub had so many delays... I swear we were stuck in the middle of the Namek saga for what felt like years... that I had definitely spoiled most of the show with clips of the Japanese version before they ever finished airing it here. Still the best moment in the show though.

And yes there was no surprise at all, it was heavily foreshadowed for dozens of episodes, not to mention next episode previews/intros/episode titles spoiling everything all the time, haha.

Oct 27, 2017
The english dub had so many delays... I swear we were stuck in the middle of the Namek saga for what felt like years... that I had definitely spoiled most of the show with clips of the Japanese version before they ever finished airing it here. Still the best moment in the show though.

And yes there was no surprise at all, it was heavily foreshadowed for dozens of episodes, not to mention next episode previews/intros/episode titles spoiling everything all the time, haha.

That's cause we were stuck on namek for years, then we'd go right back to the saiyan saga:/

Because of the intro I thought getting hit by a dragon ball was how he turned SS.

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
Better than sex! As a kid who watched it from the start, there really was nothing else comparable. Hyped for the entire Namek saga and it had to of took a year or two to get too with how episodes were released. Couldn't get myself from not believing I could turn SSJ

Dyno

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like I got pretty lucky with the way I watched DB. From what I remember when it started on Cartoon Network in the UK we were years behind on the dub and I think it didn't really slow down until the Buu arc or so. Nobody else I knew watched it so the first time I saw SS was in the preview then episode.

I used to come home to a new episode every day for a long time. It made the last hour of school hell.

All iconic shots really tbh. Back shot will always be my top choice though.

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017

I want to say the English dub kept repeating right after Goku got to namek. He'd fight Recoome, and then it'd restart. It was such bullshit that's where it cut off.

kittenbreath

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Like a lot of people here, it wasn't a surprise because I knew it was coming and it was only a matter of when. It was fun though, because I would call one of my best friends every afternoon and watch it live together, which made the wait bearable.

The last week or so before it happened was agonizing but it made the moment that much sweeter.

That fucking spirit bomb.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
My reaction was "Oh, that's why his hair turns blonde in the opening credits. Huh. Weird."

Seriously, that was my reaction.

Oct 27, 2017
I want to say the English dub kept repeating right after Goku got to namek. He'd fight Recoome, and then it'd restart. It was such bullshit that's where it cut off.
Yeah. DBZ on toonaMi I didn't start getting a normal release schedule until maybe 1999-2000. As you said, I remember catching random namek saga episodes on WB at like 630 in the morning in like 97. Then it would go back to the saiyan arc and start over. Then eventually in Cartoon Network they did it normal. I'm guessing that's around the time when it started getting bigger in the US

TickleMeElbow

Oct 31, 2017
I grew up on the Japanese version, and I missed the hype because I was like 4 years old at the time lol.

I watched the the early part of of the series on VHS, and I knew it was coming so I wasn't really surprised. Super Saiyan was already part of Japanese pop culture as long as I can remember.

The hype moment for my generation was Gohan reaching SS2 and killing Cell. I watched that shit when it aired. I was in second grade, and after it happened we were all drawing Gohan in our kanji note books for like a month. Everyone also wanted to be Gohan on the playground, but I always had to be Trunks..which was fine I guess.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Hyped as fuck and I was still a kid then, 7 years old maybe? I came home from soccer practice and right at 6:00 PM the new episode! Holy shit! I was not ready.

Deleted member 11093

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Super Saiyan doesn't show up in the Arabic intro of DBFZ, when it happened I was hyped and pretty damn confused over what was going on, but I was hyped as fuck. No transformation in Dragon Ball will ever be this good.

Verelios

Oct 26, 2017
Dropped everything and just lost my shit.

At first I was like, is he okay? Is he going to go Kaoi Ken X100000 or something?

And then the music blared up and his hair color started interchanging between white and black. Monumental moment.

Dingens

Circumventing ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I wish it was more special but since anyone around me read the Manga, this stuff was spoiled way in advance. So the impact of finally seeing it myself was minuscule, to say the least.

ghostemoji

Oct 27, 2017
A friend gave me an OG Japanese dub on a CDR at some point before it showed on Toonami or whatever, so I had seen it before then. It was pretty neat.

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Gatorland

That's where the original dub of the series ended production. It was thanks to the ratings and renewed interest that the Toonami reruns brought about that Funimation ended up bringing the dub back into production.

Rapscallion

Oct 25, 2017
Was on the phone with my friend when it aired. I remember it airing there a few seconds ahead and he thought it was cool because he saw it first.

We both knew about it for sometime leading up. Videos of the Buu Saga and GT had already circulated the internet.

pochi

Oct 25, 2017
I missed it. When it aired on Filipino dub I was still so young. My uncles were much into it.
I think I was 4-6 years old. I just have memories of the final db arc and some of namek arc.

Deleted member 4532

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Budokai 1 was my intro into the franchise so he was right there on the cover. I don't remember the reaction when I got to the scene though.
I do remember getting really excited when Gohan when SS2. From that point on Gohan was my favorite that I always mained.

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How many episodes is this battle? How many final forms are there? People like this? Does this battle ever end?

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
That got spoiled in the trading cards I collected. I had a shiny of SS Goku.

Hydrus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Kmart and KB toys had been selling a ton of DBZ toys in the mid 90's before DBZ was known, so I had seen every version of SS before it even aired, but it just made me even more hyped to finally see it on tv. Ended up buying this after seeing the intro a million times:
51RjINyzoKL._SY450_.jpg

Also kept waiting for Vegeta to get a gun for some reason:

dragonball-z-irwin-series-10-action-figure-vegeta-8__85376.1461059624.500.750.jpg

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
"Finally! Four episodes and I can FINALLY see if Goku beats Fr-"

*Find out next week on 'Frieza Defeated*