Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Inspired by theseposts in the recent Dark Phoenix thread.

Imagine a world where 20th Century Fox has the rights to all of the Marvel characters that Marvel Studios does and you have a the always talented (heh) Simon Kinberg at the helm of directing an adaptation of the Infinity War/Gauntlet comics, and the one major requirement is it must be "grounded" so as to not alienate audiences.

What in the hell would that look like?

Example I referenced earlier:

Now I want grounded infinity war. So thanos is James thanos a scientist who has a skin condition where he is a little pale with a tattoo of a glove. He gets all the stones that don't do anything and fights the avengers with rocks

I'm thinking you have the Black Order but instead of being cosmic sons and daughters of Thanos they are an underground mob group in New York that are the heads of different districts. The final fight takes place in a nondescript abandoned warehouse and the heroes win only by working out their differences. <3

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Justice-League-Poster-Superman.jpg

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
Probably actually realistic emotional responses to the carnage and losses taken, rather than witty one liners and Stark acting like "phew, at least that wasn't me."

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Probably actually realistic emotional responses to the carnage and losses taken, rather than witty one liners and Stark acting like "phew, at least that wasn't me."
Oh so Stark collapsing to the ground with what remained of Peter's ashes after hearing his final words and looking absolutely broken and close to tears isn't a realistic emotional response?

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Thanos figures out he could just teach people about contraception, and how advanced societies can avoid exponential growth in population.

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Set in the 2000's, Thanos would be a politician supporting the Bush administration to invade Iraq, and he likes to go to the frontlines because "it's like he's courting death" (Actual movie quote), he's using federal funds to create a giant weapon of mass destruction nicknamed 'The Gaunlet', manufactured by a company called Infinity, that says it could wipe half of the population of middle east by only pushing a button. Also he hates mutants but get Magneto to join him.

Guest starring Hugh Jackman as Wolverine.

Oct 30, 2017
Thanos is some big strong earthbound dude with an odder mutation of gigantism and a weird purple skin condition who is trying to develop a biological agent that sterilizes half of the Earth's population.

Jeffapp

Oct 29, 2017
oh shit, i was really hoping my post would cause this to happen.
The black order is a secret government agency made during the old days of JFK. Currently its a bunch of agents that wear black suits and ties.

Flaurehn

Oct 25, 2017
Mexico City
Set in the 2000's, Thanos would be a politician supporting the Bush administration to invade Iraq, and he likes to go to the frontlines because "it's like he's courting death" (Actual movie quote), he using federal funds to create a giant weapon of mass destruction nicknamed 'The Gaunlet', manufactured by a company called Infinity, that says it could wipe half of the population of middle east by only pushing a button.

Guest starring Hugh Jackman as Wolverine.

Also there is a special black ops (or black order) group of 6 individuals called "The Stones" that are tasked with infiltrating and extracting sensible information from international goverments

Mario_Bones

Oct 31, 2017
Australia
Thanos is a schizophrenic who believes he's the reincarnation of the god Titan. In order to conquer the Avengers he sets up a a series of challenges for them, a gauntlet if you will, with tests themed after the six principles of reality - Space, Time, Power, Mind, Soul and, uh, Reality.

MisterHero

Oct 25, 2017
There would be 6 guys and they call them The Six Stones. Iron Man tries to fight him but it turns out Thanos isn't really a bad guy

Thanos is a people

edit: beaten

Oct 25, 2017
Thanos would be a cloud.

In the movie he'd be a part of the T.H.A.N.O.S (Technological Hivemind And Neverending Overkill System) project that was designed to kill half of the planet.

Last edited:

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
Iron man's suit would look closer to the armors in Edge of tomorrow.

They would change dr. strange from magic to pseudo psychic paranormal sciency sounding bullshit.

The Guardians of the galaxy are now the Guardians of the [insert random NY neighborhood].

Groot is a huge stoic man of few words with plant tattoos all over his body.

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017
I don't understand the premise by framing it as a "Fox" movie when Days of Future Past had time travel and killer robots in the future, not to mention all the characters having super powers. Or really anything about the franchise from the start keeping it from being grounded. Then again, now someone is unironically trying to claim Justice League is grounded, so it's gotten weird.

Or are you talking like that old Mortal Kombat Rebirth trailer where Sub Zero is just a dude who kills people and puts them in freezers? No mutant powers or anything?

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
I'm talking about the bloody cowl with a giant H on it. I hope everyone gets their crazy ass costumes from the comics when talking about authentic adaptations.

If we don't get the cowl we haven't learned a thing!
You mean they adapted the version of his costume that's closer to something a government agent might actually wear, vs. some nonsense outfit that represents nothing?

2914056-1.png

He hasn't worn that hood in like a decade.

If there is one thing the MCU has been pretty masterful about, it's been costuming. Even when people mock Avengers 1 Cap's outfit, that's a costume made by a fanboy whose image of Captain America is his propaganda trading cards. Even within the fiction, the shit works.

Last edited:

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
An IW without the anime fight between Thanos and Strange can go die in a ditch.

just_myles

Oct 25, 2017
The movie about the super human alien who is brought back from the dead using a mystical box that an amazon princess warrior and a man who lives in the sea found is "grounded"?

Yeah that is a stretch. There was never a way to "ground" the justice league. Maybe batman to great success (TDK and only the TDK), but everyone else, hell nah.

OP
OP
Mariolee

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand the premise by framing it as a "Fox" movie when Days of Future Past had time travel and killer robots in the future, not to mention all the characters having super powers. Or really anything about the franchise from the start keeping it from being grounded. Then again, now someone is unironically trying to claim Justice League is grounded, so it's gotten weird.

Or are you talking like that old Mortal Kombat Rebirth trailer where Sub Zero is just a dude who kills people and puts them in freezers? No mutant powers or anything?

Fox, while not being the only studio example of this and obviously having successful movies that are not grounded and more successful because of it, does not embrace its more outlandish comic book traits like having Wolverine wear his costume or having Galactus being a gigantic space cloud.

Grounded does not have to mean it's completely realistic but to change key iconic characteristics of the source material that end up taking away what was so special about it in the first place.

I will say that I do not agree with the person who said Justice League was "grounded".

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just watch Xmen 3 and Apocalypse over and over till they blend together.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Instead of the infinity stones unfettered by soft magic rules they would be bound by hard magic rules.

In other words covert DBZ infinity war to Hunter Hunter Grounded War.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cap, Natasha, and Falcon don't let Proxima Midnight and Corvus Glaive get away for....no reason at all.

Absoludacrous

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
IW is the accumulation of the entirety of the MCU up to this point, and that accumulation lacks pathos or realistic acknowledgment of the stakes and human costs throughout the films in favor of crowd pleasing banter.

It's like a teacher gave you a pop quiz on MCU criticism, but you had only read the cliff notes the night before on what the internet said so you tried your best to bullshit through the answer.

But hey, you tried.

Oct 29, 2017
I mean it could be anything from something as big as non humanoid aliens (Cloud Galactus) to something as small as aliens not speaking English. How much grounded is grounded?

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I feel that infinity war was pretty grounded. for example, we did not see the actual embodiment of death and we didn't see Thanos trying to get it on with her/it/whatever.
frankly there isn't much need for grounding. the story kind of works as an allegory for extreme environmentalism.