• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
With the recent thread discussing how PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale would have fared had it released today, I thought it would be fun to look at what a potential roster could look like. Of course, there are a few caveats:

Characters that appear in Super Smash Bros. are off limits. So this means Cloud and Solid Snake won't be making the cut, even though they are highly associated with the Sony brand.

Every character must have appeared on a Sony console and be considered most closely tied to Sony out of the current three First Party Platforms.

First Party characters that appeared in the original PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale will also be here, replicating the "every Smash Bros. character ever" in Ultimate's roster. So yes, Fat Princess has a roster spot. However, Big Daddy and Issac Clarke aren't.

And lastly, I think it's important to remember that for some people were introduced to certain franchises because of Smash Bros. Also, there's a history of fun (or joke) characters being present, so that's something I think should happen with PSASBRU.

Now, time for the roster!

2fvqcA6.jpg

One important element of Smash Bros. are different costumes and alternate versions of characters. Obviously this would be pretty easy for this roster. From a God of War 3 Kratos, to young Nathan Drake, to DmC Dante, and several Sora costumes. Most of the characters present have several costumes/forms that would be a natural fit. And some would rotate between different characters, such as:

sD9zVqU.png

Dark Eco Jak

V1NSEX8.png

Sackgirl
Continuing with the theme of matching Smash Bros., this roster will offer the same varied playstyles you know and love. Obviously basic archetypes like Brawlers, Sword Users, Projectile Users, etc. are here. Importantly though, some of the more unique fighters like Ice Climbers (Iota and Aoi), Game and Watch (Vibri) and Ron the Robot (Asobi) are here.

So, there you have it! The ultimate Sony tournament fighting roster. It's not comprehensive, as there are still more characters that deserve to be on here, but that's what discussion is for. Era, what do you think of this roster? Who would you add? Who would you remove?

Let's have fun with this. I'll try to update the OP later with more images and to make it look nicer, and I'll try to include the best suggestions I can.

Why are some people petitioning Nintendo to include Crash Bandicoot in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate?

Porygon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mexicali
Could Gray Fox and Alucard appear? Yes, they are Assist Trophies in Smash Bros.... but still....

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Crash Bandicoot
Coco Bandicoot
Fake Crash
Primitive Crash (Papu Papu minion in Bash)
Cortex
Spyro
Ripto
Dingodile
Ripper Roo
N. Brio
Hunter
Gnasty Gnorc
N. Gin
Nitrous Oxide
Pet a Penguin
Papu Papu
N. Trophy
Moneybags
Tiny Tiger
Polar and Pura
Pinstripe
Bonus character Aku Aku vs Uka Uka tornado from last boss in Warped room.
Special Guest appearance from Rilla Roo.

All these will always be PlayStation chracters and I don't care what you say.

One stage could be the Warp room in crash warped. Can knock people off in that one. Have one take place on the cortex blimp, on on the high road level. One on the China Wall level, and throw in one with crash 2 bonus theme and a future theme. Also have a Jungle Bash type level from crash bash.

Last edited:

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Monster Hunter may be a good pick as the series got its start on PS2, despite being primarily on Nintendo platforms until recently.

As for your spoiler question, people probably want Crash and Spyro in due to Smash's status as a de facto video game Hall of Fame (at least in terms of pre-2000 games) with the inclusion of 3rd parties.

trikster40

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The Wanderer from SotC - his ultimate would be calling in a colossus to smash things

Robbit from Jumping Flash (a PSVR Jumping Flash to reintroduce him to the public)

Characters from Legend of Dragoon

Klonoa

Tomba

Lara Croft

Aloy

Knack

Kazuma Kiryu (Yakuza)

Spider-Man (sure, why not!)

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Are they banned if they were in Smash as assist trophies? Because I'd consider Alucard associated to PlayStation with his biggest game being pretty well known for it.

Also could we circumvent the Snake ban by having it be Naked or Venom Snake?

Deleted member 5167

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll be brutally honest, I would far rather a Sackboy fighter with Sackboys in various costumes of whoever they can get licenced.

At least that way you'd have a coherent aesthetic.

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
I don't understand the existence of this franchise.

If they want to make another one of these, they will have to find a way to differentiate from Smash instead of keep copying everything Sakurai does lol

Why not making it in full 3D?

OP
OP
McScroggz

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
Are they banned if they were in Smash as assist trophies? Because I'd consider Alucard associated to PlayStation with his biggest game being pretty well known for it.

Also could we circumvent the Snake ban by having it be Naked or Venom Snake?

That's a good question. Symphony of the Night hasn't been on a Nintendo console I don't believe, so I think it's a reasonable compromise. Gray Fox might have to go though because of Twin Snaks AND being an assist trophy. Darn.

If they want to make another one of these, they will have to find a way to differentiate from Smash instead of keep copying everything Sakurai does lol

It's not necessarily about just copying Smash Bros. but rather what a similar roster of iconic PlayStation characters would look like and using PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale and Smash Bros. Ultimate as a fun vehicle for th conversation.

Oct 27, 2017
Crash, Spyro and a Tekken character are literally all that is appealing to me from that photo...

...which probably means we will have them in Smash eventually.

Sakurai has been pretty spot on so far.

Nakenorm

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Just give me Kiryu and Crash and I'm all good.

Every character must have appeared on a Sony console and be considered most closely tied to Sony out of the current three First Party Platforms.

Butwhy.gif

Cloud is in Smash! why couldnt Playstation get an out of nowhere pick as well?

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Last edited:

rhandino

Oct 25, 2017
Its cute that someone still remember Nariko in the year of our lord 2018

Last edited:

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

PSASBR did differentiate itself, quite meaningfully, from Smash.

The only problem is that PSASBR differentiated itself from Smash in such a way that made it a pretty boring game for some of us.

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
No I want a straight up copy.

But they got a lot of @ with the first one because of that. Japan wasn't happy about this.

It's not necessarily about just copying Smash Bros. but rather what a similar roster of iconic PlayStation characters would look like and using PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale and Smash Bros. Ultimate as a fun vehicle for th conversation.

Ah ok, if it is just for fun, i suggest Reiko Nagase from Ridge Racer Type 4

reiko009.jpg

OP
OP
McScroggz

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
Its cute that someone still remember Nariko in the year of lord 2018

Haha, well I'm viewing this as an Ultimate roster, which includes every previous PSASBR character other than two that I don't think really fit. Arbitrary, I know.

And for what it's worth I actually made this and forgot Nariko.

etrain911

Oct 27, 2017
I don't see why Cloud or Snake couldn't be in both. They'd be a way better fit here than in Smash. Cloud was barely in any Nintendo games. Barring him, I would throw in Noctis.

For rad joke characters, you have to introduce Specter and the Freaky Monkey Five (fighting Pokemon Trainer style) , I also think the other Ape Escape protags would make great echo fighters.

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It would be filled with blatant product placement characters from upcoming games because Sony would have learned nothing from the original game.

May 5, 2018
The thing is would Heihachi come back or not? I say this because he had a Mii Fighter outfit for Smash 4 and due to having some kind of reference in Smash, is he out and would they get Kazuya or Jin from Tekken in his place?

That roster also needs Jumping Flash for an old school rep, Suzuki from Everybody's Golf/Hot Shots Golf and a Grand Turismo car. Roster looks good but needs to get crazier.

Oct 27, 2017
Everyone from the last game and:

-Kiryu
-Majima
-New Kratos
-Doom Guy
-Aloy
-Crash
-Venom Snake
-Solid Snake (with his MGS1 look)
-Cyborg Ninja
-Dante (classic)
-Spider Man
-Crash/the girl (I forgot her name)
-Spyro
-Cloud/Zack
-Ape from Ape Escape
-The Snake Ape from the Ape Escape 3
-Loco Roco
-Patapon
-More characters from Twisted Metal like Mr Grimm
-Monokuma
-Alucard
-Richter with his updated look from the PSP remake of Rondo of the Blood
-Tomba
-Female MC from Persona 3
-Jacket from Hotline Miami
-Bodyguard from Hotline Miami
-Streets Fighter representation (Ryu/Chun Li/Sakura/G/Rashido)
-Axel from Streets Of Rage
-Blaze from Streets of Rage
-Ellie from The Last of Us
-Classic Sonic
-Mega Man X
-Zero from Mega Man
-Classic Lara Croft
-Fetch from Infamous
-Gex
-Ryo from Shenmue
-Lighting from FF13
-Mortal Kombat representation (Scorpion/Sub Zero/Kitana/Meleena)
-Lady
-Trish
-Jill Valentine
-Leon
-Ada
-Claire
-Monster Hunter
-Agent 47
-Chimera
-That dog that became the mascot of Tokyo Jungle
-Raven

Last edited:

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Much like the first game, I would focus on representing many different franchises rather than giving certain series a second rep, as well as picking characters from a range of PlayStation eras.

Lammy (UmJammer Lammy) - Uses a guitar, a chainsaw, and various other objects to fight
Vibri (Vib Ribbon) - Swings a line as a whip, creates spikes and blocks from the ground, can transform into a frog and worm for attacks
Robbit (Jumping Flash) - Keepaway character who uses various types of fireworks as projectiles
Gabe Logan (Syphon Filter) - Mid-range fighter with many weapons and gadgets
Gran Turismo Car - Basically the Hornet from Fighters Megamix
Wander (Shadow of the Colossus) - never played SotC but he basically has to be in right?
Pomeranian (Tokyo Jungle) - Summons other animals to fight
Joel & Ellie (The Last of Us) - Ice Climbers but with guns, can also summon zombies like Jill/Frank West
Knack - Brawler who has to keep growing in size with one of his special moves, makes him more powerful and gives him more range but also makes him a bigger target. Decreases in size when hit.
Hunter (Bloodborne) - Melee fighter who swings around trick weapons, can use a gun as a counter

Third Party Guests:

Crash Bandicoot - WOAH! *spins*
Spyro the Dragon - blows fire, charges, you know, dragon stuff
Lara Croft (Tomb Raider) - kinda like Gabe Logan but with less high tech gear

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
Go for the 1 character/1 IP rule. Keep things fresh.
  • Nathan Drake
  • Sweet Tooth
  • Sackboy
  • Kat
  • Toro
  • Robbit
  • Alundra
  • Vibri
  • Aloy
  • Jak & Daxter
  • Ratchet & Clank
  • Delsin Rowe
  • Iota
  • Kutaro
  • Jin
  • Rudy Roughnight
  • Sly Cooper
  • Spike
  • Astro
  • Wander
  • Kratos
  • Sir Daniel Fortesque
  • Parappa (does Lammy count as a separate IP?)
  • Gabriel Logan
Potential third-party...
  • Crash Bandicoot
  • Lara Croft
  • Kazuma Kiryu
  • Spiderman
  • Spyro the Dragon

That would be a pretty sweet and comprehensive roster all in all I think. I've left out some characters that appeared in PASBR like Radec and Fat Princess, because frankly they're a bit rubbish. And in terms of third-party, no characters included solely as a means of promoting an upcoming game like Dante and Raiden, because that was just cheap.

Last edited:

Lokoline

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Everyone from the last game (except 3rd party ones) and characters from Sony's new and old franchises who were not present in the first.

SuperSonic

Oct 25, 2017

People are still saying this shit in 2018? The major complaint was that it DIDN'T play like Smash.

Tregard

Oct 27, 2017
A few extra additions to compliment your current roster:

tokyojungle_thumb.jpg

The Pomeranian from Tokyo Jungle

latest

The Hero from Patapon

money.jpg

Tony Hawk

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Ratchet
Clank
Spike (ape escape)
Specter (ape escape)
Monkey (ape escape)
Kratos
Ares
Zeus
Hades
Nariko (heavenly blade)
Sackboy / sackgirl (Lbp)
Patapon
Cole (good, evil, vampire) / delsin / fetch (Infamous)
Kessler (Infamous)
Sly raccoon
Bentley / Murray (Sly)
Jak / dark jak
Daxter
Gabe Logan (syphon filter)
Kat / raven (gravity rush)
Sir Dan (medievil)
Parappa
Rau (mark of kri)
Ultra v / congar (war of the monsters)
Fat princess / soldiers
Jen (primal)
Rudy (wild arms)
Crash
Spyro
Radec (Killzone)
Chimera (resistance)
Nathan Drake
Wander (sotc)
Sweet tooth
Hunter (Bloodborne)
Kutaro (puppeteer)
Joel / ellie
Alloy
Knack
Lemming
A tekken character (king / yoshimitsu / heihachi)
Toro
Soul sacrifice protagonist
Messenger (Tearaway)

Apex88

Jan 15, 2018
We need a PlayStation themed fighting title, kart racer, and some kind of Track & Field game. AA fare, but Sony now has the roster to pull these things off.

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
I think if we're talking essentials, we'd need:

Specific characters:
  • Wander to rep Shadow of the Colossus and Team Ico (and their games)

• Connor to rep Detroit: Become Human and other Quantic Dream games

• The Traveler to rep Journey (he's not really a fighter but they managed to make him work in Super Time Force so...)

• Suzuki or Gloria to rep Everybody's Golf / Tennis (you could make them a sports themed fighter and add references to other sports series Sony owns in their movesets)

• Tag can rep ModNation Racers (and like with the previous pick you can use the character to reference other racing game series in their moveset. You could have him use a Kart in his moveset, sorta like Wario with his bike)

• You'd also need to have Spyro, Lara Croft, Kazuma Kiryu and others for third parties too

Now as for general categories:
  • We absolutely need to have JRPG representation. First game was completely missing this aspect. Rudy / Wild Arms is like the bare minimum you need to add. Some other series to consider: Dart (Legend of Dragoon), Arc (Arc the Lad), Noa (Legend of Legaia) or Alundra (from Alundra) to cover the PS1. For the PS2 you could add Stan and Ari (Okage: Shadow King) and you could go with Dark Cloud and / or Rogue Galaxy to cover a Level-5 RPG. There's not really a good pure JRPG to rep the PS3 with (there's White Knight Chronicles but it's the weakest link of the first party Level-5 RPG's; it'd be better to go with Dark Cloud or Rogue Galaxy). You could go with Demon's Souls as an ARPG option.

If I had to pick essentials from that list, I'd do Rudy, Dart (he's a fan favorite), Arc (his series is popular in Japan), a character from Dark Cloud and Stan and Ari (more because the PS2 gen doesn't have a lot of characters overall)

• Some characters are needed to represent the PS4 era. Aloy (Horizon Zero Dawn) and Astro (Astro Bot: Robot Rescue) seem like no brainers (Astro can also double as a PSVR rep), we'd also need characters for Bloodborne and Dreams. I'd personally love Gerhman for the former, and Frances and Foxy (as some kind of Ice Climber style fighter) for the latter. Knack, Until Dawn, The Order 1886, Death Stranding, Ghost of Tsushima, Concrete Genie and Freedom Wars also have characters to pull from.

• The PS1 is already a bit crowded (especially after adding all the RPG characters), but there's still options like Gabe Logan (Syphon Filter), Vibri (Vib-Ribbon), Robbit (Jumping Flash), Hermie (Hermie Hopperhead) or a playable character from Japan only series, Boku no Natsuyasumi. I'd add Gabe so there's a rep for the stealth genre and somebody to rep Boku no Natsuyasumi
  • The PS2 needs a few more characters. There's a lot of interesting options for that generation (in that there's a lot of action oriented characters), like Shark (ChainDive), Rau Utu (Mark of Kri), Jennifer Tate (Primal), Yoshitsune Minamoto (Genji), Rumble and Tumble (Dual Hearts) etc. I'd personally go with Shark and Rau Utu to rep specific development teams. Siren and Ghosthunter could also potentially bring a horror rep into the roster (well... maybe not Siren)

• The PS3 is fairly crowded already from the first game's roster, but there's a lot of interesting characters from that generation. You could have Ellen or Keats (Folklore), Lil Lionheart (Tokyo Jungle), Kutaro (Puppeteer), the Tigershark (Invizimals), Magusar (Soul Sacrifice), Finn (Sorcery), Uberhero (Patapon), Overlord Badman (No Heroes Allowed) etc. Overlord Badman is probably the one you at least need to have, as that series is bigger in Japan

• I would also add several PlayStation villains. You could use them as randomly rotating final bosses for an Arcade Mode. God of War's already covered, so I'd suggest Dr. Nefarious (Ratchet and Clank), Specter (Ape Escape), Calypso (Twisted Metal), Genie (Dark Cloud) and Kitsuto (OreShika).
That's about all I can think of at the moment, I'm sure there's others I'm still missing.

EDIT: I completely forgot about Joel and Ellie too. Don't know whether to add Joel (with young Ellie as an assist / striker) or to just have adult Ellie instead but Last of Us definitely needs to be repped

Last edited:

AndyVirus

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Already existing:
- Nathan Drake
- Kratos (now with 2 versions)
- Ratchet (w/Clank)
- Sly Cooper
- Jak (w/Daxter)
- Sackboy
- PaRappa
- Toro
- Cole MacGrath (evil Cole echo)
- Sweet Tooth
- Emmett Graves
- Spike
- Sir Dan
- Nariko
- Kat
- Fat Princess
- Colonel Radec
- Dante (OG Dante echo)
- Heihachi
- Raiden

Newcomers:
- Aloy
- Knack
- Gabriel Logan
- Speedy Knack
- Chloe Frazer
- Vampire Knack
- Fetch
- Saber Knack
- Iota (Aoi echo)
- Shooter Knack
- Kutaro
- Spider-Man
- Crash Bandicoot
- Spyro the Dragon
- Gex
- Lara Croft (or remove if you're insistant on being currently closely tied to Sony)
- Kiryu Kazama
- Sora
- Abe

I think I've got the knack of this

Tribal24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The roster doesn't even need to get to crazy, just some changes need to occur the majority of the characters who people say don't mesh there games should only get one rep, so everyone from the original will stay in terms of first party. I'm talking about God of War, Uncharted, The Last of us. Joel and Ellie should be similar to the Ice Climbers and on the Character select screen they would be called The Last of Us. Nathan Drake needs to be the only uncharted rep, same with kratos, also sweet tooth for TM.

Infamous can get three reps because of Cole, Evil Cole, and Delsin each would bring a entering variety of abilities. Gravity Rush gets 2 reps Kat and Raven. Ape Escape gets two reps Spike and Monkey. Arc the Lad would join as their Prime Swords Man. Quark would be the second Ratchet rep, Ratchet and Clank should be together as a duo. Same with Jak and Daxter. Evil Jak would make a great Character to add just like Evil Cole or even add him in like Shiek. Alloy will join alone from horizon no more is needed from here. 1 hot shot golf character makes it in this game, if they do a sequel a hotshot tennis character joins the game.

In terms of Third Party i think Heichachi stays, Abe stays, Crash needs to enter, Lara croft with original attire and even blocky graphics, Sora would work here if no Final fantasy characters present. I would also say give raider another chance if not raiden put in joker from persona 5.

Mar Tuuk

Oct 31, 2017
I liked the game but they need to get a common art style for all the characters. That was something I felt was off in the original.

OP
OP
McScroggz

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
  • Connor to rep Detroit: Become Human and other Quantic Dream games
  • We absolutely need to have JRPG representation. First game was completely missing this aspect. Rudy / Wild Arms is like the bare minimum you need to add. Some other series to consider: Dart (Legend of Dragoon), Arc (Arc the Lad), Noa (Legend of Legaia) or Alundra (from Alundra) to cover the PS1. For the PS2 you could add Stan and Ari (Okage: Shadow King) and you could go with Dark Cloud and / or Rogue Galaxy to cover a Level-5 RPG. There's not really a good pure JRPG to rep the PS3 with (there's White Knight Chronicles but it's the weakest link of the first party Level-5 RPG's; it'd be better to go with Dark Cloud or Rogue Galaxy). You could go with Demon's Souls as an ARPG option.
EDIT: I completely forgot about Joel and Ellie too. Don't know whether to add Joel (with young Ellie as an assist / striker) or to just have adult Ellie instead but Last of Us definitely needs to be repped

Yeah, there are certainly a few more JRPG characters that I think could make the cut. Rudy from Wild Arms, Arc from Arc the Lad, Max and Monica from Dark Cloud 2, one of the Grandia/Star Ocean Protags, and Oliver from Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch come to mind. The latter could be a lot of fun as a Pokémon Trainer stand in.

The thing is would Heihachi come back or not? I say this because he had a Mii Fighter outfit for Smash 4 and due to having some kind of reference in Smash, is he out and would they get Kazuya or Jin from Tekken in his place?

That roster also needs Jumping Flash for an old school rep, Suzuki from Everybody's Golf/Hot Shots Golf and a Grand Turismo car. Roster looks good but needs to get crazier.

Heihachi was a fighter in PSASBR, and I think Tekken is closely enough associated with Sony to make the cut. I do think Jin should be in, and I would have chosen him to represent Tekken originally.

A few extra additions to compliment your current roster:

tokyojungle_thumb.jpg

The Pomeranian from Tokyo Jungle

latest

The Hero from Patapon

The dog from Tokyo Jungle is pretty funny. I don't know how it would work as a character though. And Patapon seems more appropriate as a stage hazard sort of thing, but certainly deserves representation.

OP
OP
McScroggz

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
Go for the 1 character/1 IP rule. Keep things fresh.
  • Nathan Drake
  • Sweet Tooth
  • Sackboy
  • Kat
  • Toro
  • Robbit
  • Alundra
  • Vibri
  • Aloy
  • Jak & Daxter
  • Ratchet & Clank
  • Delsin Rowe
  • Iota
  • Kutaro
  • Jin
  • Rudy Roughnight
  • Sly Cooper
  • Spike
  • Astro
  • Wander
  • Kratos
  • Sir Daniel Fortesque
  • Parappa (does Lammy count as a separate IP?)
  • Gabriel Logan
Potential third-party...
  • Crash Bandicoot
  • Lara Croft
  • Kazuma Kiryu
  • Spiderman
  • Spyro the Dragon

That would be a pretty sweet and comprehensive roster all in all I think. I've left out some characters that appeared in PASBR like Radec and Fat Princess, because frankly they're a bit rubbish. And in terms of third-party, no characters included solely as a means of promoting an upcoming game like Dante and Raiden, because that was just cheap.

For a hypothetical sequel, I mostly agree with one character per game. The only issue is some of the mascots, like Jak and Daxter and Ratchet and Clank are inextricably linked and I think absolutely have to be in the game. And also, this list is more about looking forward for all of the characters that would be in PSASBR 2 and 3 plus DLC, etc. the way Smash Bros. Ultimate has every previous character.

Fat Princess is an okay game but a crappy character for a game like this. Killzone is a very solid franchise (and 2 is great), so I actually like Colonel Radec. It's a shame there isn't a more recognizable character, especially one that was in multiple games, but that's a flaw with some of the Sony franchises that I think need some representation.

Not nearly enough Tomba! in this roster.

I actually had Tomba made up, but went with Klonoa instead. Very close between those, but both were really good platformers that I think deserve to have more of a spotlight and maybe eventually we will see a bit of a revival. I think something like Smash Bros./a successful PSASBR are good for helping reinvigorate older franchises (or help some stay relevant).

You included Joker.
This is a good thread.
Can Makoto be an Echo?

She is the best girl...

Though Naoto from P4 is the best girl too. Hmmmm....