What does the next Xbox need to do to get your money?

• Give me the prettiest graphics!

Votes: 128 8.0%
  • As long as its cheaper than PS5...

Votes: 32 2.0%
  • Software is king.

Votes: 1,446 90.0%

• Total voters

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Xbox is likely going to finish 3rd this gen thanks the Nintendo's mulligan and Sony's relentless performance.

Thanks to PS3's long ass tail the same was true for last gen but for most of it 360 was firmly in second place. Even ended up being the best selling platform in the US iirc.

360 had lots of faults though. D-pad was shit, controller ran on batteries, no wifi at launch, you had to pay to play online and of course RROD.

But that UI, those joysticks, those triggers, that hard drive, that in-game music, those games and that price.

There was so much innovation and so much value I simply couldn't resist. There was so much good energy around the brand. They took some of the criticism they got and fixed them with the slim by adding wi-fi and improving reliability.

Kinect was a hit as well.

But infamously they pissed away most of that good will but have been clawing it back in the past year or so with S, X, elite and adaptive controllers, GamePass and acquisitions.

To win me over completely I would need the "everything you need is in the box" aspect I get with the PS4. I bought a plug and play kit for 360 and One. I don't want to have to buy another one for Nextbox. Also keeping the form and price smaller than PlayStation, give it a simple and snappy UI, enough storage to let me horde my games and some of the options available on the elite controller. Graphics aren't a priority for me just give me my 1080p60 and I'll be happy.

Some of my requests are a pipedream because accessories are a big part of the industry now but it doesn't hurt to ask.

So what could Microsoft do to win you over like they did for some many with the 360?

Undercut on price? Outgun in graphics? More games?

Last edited:

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna buy every console, no matter what. Really though, my main console will always be the one my friends are on.

Chivalry

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Nov 22, 2018
Give me a good library of exclusives and I'll buy an xbox in a jiffy.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
You buying an Xbox console? not releasing their games on PC, and making more SP-focused games. I already have an XOne but I doubt I'd buy the next Xbox if they keep the same direction.

Obi

Oct 27, 2017
I would love if I could use my WMR headset with an XBOX. I would much rather do that than lug my PC to the living room for VR.

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
The Xbox One X makes them a great third-party console now (best on the market), but they really need to match the level of talent happening in Sony and Nintendo's corners when it comes to software exclusives.

I do play a lot of third party games, so the X serves me quite well, but if they want primary platform status from me, they need the exclusives that get my interest and succeed and delivering on high hopes as often as Sony and Nintendo do. And while they are the best place to play third party games in the console space, the difference in quality over the PS4 Pro is noticeable but not profound -- as of right now, I feel like my X is pretty expendable because I could play most third-party games on PS4 Pro without feeling like I'm missing a ton versus the X.

gcwy

Oct 27, 2017
Houston, TX
I'm already rolling with them next-gen cuz I know I'll be able to play all of my owned games, dating all the way back to the first Xbox, on the next Xbox. They have impeccable services and all they need is lots of great first party. And it looks like they're planning to do exactly that.

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think they're on the right path. I'm pretty much sold on their current trajectories with Xbox One X, Gamepass, Backwards Compatibility, and their Cross-play initiatives.

Probably going to wait and see on the Sony Platform next gen, due to how they've handled themselves this gen.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see myself ever buying an xbox really, given that they are putting their stuff on PC, but even in that area they could do so much better.

But yes, games are the main reason I would buy any console. If I didn't have a PC, then they could convince me with quality software, like Sony managed with the PS4.

Jan 15, 2018
Since they are pretty much going to release every game on windows, I'll probably never buy an Xbox. Also, I sure as shit won't buy any games exclusive to the windows store again.

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
Games I want to play.......put out 8-10 games I'm interested in and I'll pick up your console at some point next gen(same goes for Nintendo).
Historically I've never been interested in anything from them though so I guess we'll see what happens.
I'll be there for PS5 day one regardless.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
Stronger hardware is something I'll always appreciate, so despite their software being lackluster, if they can one up PS5 on that front and keep their godly gamepad design, I'm still gonna have to own an Xbox.

And gamepass is awesome.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
I buy every console that comes out. So day one for the next gen Xbox. Ditto for the next PlayStation and whatever Nintendo comes up with.

Apr 25, 2018
Rockwall, Texas
Sony and MS effectively tied last gen. I really wish people would stop trying to push the narrative that somehow they ended up way in the back in 3rd place. If there's a separation between the two it's small enough to not matter. Saying that...

I just want an updated X. The X was the closest to the original Xbox that MS has come "feel" wise. I like their games well enough as I do with Sony but I've always preferred MS hardware and feature set to Sony. They don't really need to win me over any more than they just need to keep up the momentum they established with the X.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I'll own all the consoles again next gen and they've already won me over with the X in the sense that's where I do 90%+ of my gaming these days. And that's despite being PS4 only until X launched.

But really if they have the most powerful console + a constant flow of truly compelling exclusive content + the best services, then they'll be on to a winner.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
To be honest, as long as they continue on the path they're currently on, I think it's already done.

corasaur

Oct 26, 2017
direct switch competitor that I can play as a handheld 90% of the time plus a list of 6 to 10 games with worthwhile singleplayer modes

owned a 360 but gradually drifted away from playing games on my tv in the years since.

Septimus

Oct 27, 2017
Glad the poll has 100% the right answer currently. It's gonna be tough for sure. I think MS will have an even harder time next gen than this current gen since current started out with having exclusives ONLY on Xbox. Now/next people can just play the same games on their PC.

Remember this topic is about Xbox. Not MS in general.

BuBu Jenkins

Oct 27, 2017
Since i own a high-end gaming pc and MS continues to support play anywhere theres nothing they can do to get me to buy an Xbox console hardware and price-wise so its all about what software they release which i will gladly support only on the windows 10 store if i'm interested.

Just give me a goddamn new AAA Perfect Dark MS!!!

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium
I'll get one for sure. Day-one will most likely depend on the lineup, but i've skipped X so if they said that all X enhancements would transfer over to next-gen, i'm most likely in to go next-gen.

Games-wise, i know what to expect.

robert_prado

Jan 26, 2019
I buy Sony and Nintendo consoles for the only on exclusive games. If Microsoft give me that on Xbox, i'll get one.

Keep launching everything on PC and I refuse to get a Xbox. On PC I don't need to pay to play online.

Fright Zone

Dec 17, 2017
London
I don't think they could, I've been on PSN for a decade and I'm too tied into the ecosystem now.
Unless they had Street Fighter 6 or the next mainline Final Fantasy as an exclusive, which I might cave for.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
If they want me to touch their windows store, allow people to mod their games and clean up some of the other issues.

With their console they need to have great single player exclusives and awesome backwards comp(which is what they have now from the looks of things).

They do a great job funding games for my taste on their system and im there. Last gen I had ps3 and a 360. This gen I don't need anxbox at all, they don't have fuck all for me except like one or two games. Gotta change if they want my money next round

Edit: that poll is cracking me up. I remember having a few xbox fans bitching me out and calling me dumb for saying Microsoft needs more great exclusives. Looks like I'm not the only one lol

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Bought the X mostly for multiplats and BC. Most important thing for which console I get first next gen is software though.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
GOOD GAMES.

Microsoft's output this gen has been the weakest it's ever been.