Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
The first game wasn't great, but I think the PlayStation platform fighter concept still has potential.

What differences would you want to see in a sequel? What studio should make it? Let's discuss.

Also, what do you think of my fan roster? I tried to pick well-known characters that could realistically appear in a PSA sequel.

psa2roster.png

Oct 25, 2017
Don't try to compete with Smash.

Make it a 3D brawler to cater to the strengths of these largely 3D franchises. It would set it apart and is a sorely untapped area in gaming right now. A better budget and stronger art direction would do wonders as well.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
They need to go after third parties more than they did the first time, especially those with close ties to PlayStation like Crash, Spyro, Cloud and Lara Croft.

I think it really was the line up that ruined the first one... it was just current (for the time) PlayStation characters and like C-tier third parties.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
i would like to see the gameplay and kill system completely remade, even if only to copy smash like genshin copied zelda

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Joel vs Nathan.

Actual health bars, no need for reinventing the wheel or knocking off of levels. Just go for health with the combat in between supers mattering.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure a list of almost exclusively PS4-era characters and one or two third party reps solves the problem PSABR had the first time around.

Oct 25, 2017
go for some "mature" third party characters that probably won't make it to Smash, like Doomguy or-

sorry I forgot Xbox owns Doomguy now lol. huh. not gonna even finish the message lmao

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like I'm the only one who enjoyed the super system.
I liked it, but it wasn't balanced, some characters had a way easier time of comboing into the supers. Also the combat in between supers hardly contributing to the demise of the character other than feeding super meter to a character (iirc dropped super meter orbs).

Oct 24, 2019
I would add:
Deacon St. John (Days Gone)
Jin Sakai (Ghost of Tsushima)
Sam Porter Bridges (Death Stranding)
Kat (Gravity Rush)
Ash (Concrete Genie)
Sly (Sly Cooper)
Cole MacGrath (inFamous)
Sweet Tooth (Twisted Metal)
Sir Dan (MediEvil)
Nathan Hale (Resistance)
Tomas Sevchenko (Killzone)

Edit:
Also
PaRappa (PaRappa the Rapper)
Patapons (Patapon)
Gabe Logan (Siphon Filter)
Imps (Dreams)

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
I would add:
Deacon St. John (Days Gone)
Jin Sakai (Ghost of Tsushima)
Sam Porter Bridges (Death Stranding)
Kat (Gravity Rush)
Ash (Concrete Genie)
Sly (Sly Cooper)
Cole MacGrath (inFamous)
Sweet Tooth (Twisted Metal)
Sir Dan (MediEvil)
Nathan Hale (Resistance)
Tomas Sevchenko (Killzone)
Oh man, Jin would be awesome to see in a fighting game. I want to see this now.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Make it a Smash clone. For real this time. Characters and superficial shit are worthless if the game plays like crap again.

OP
OP

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like it would be best to start with a smaller roster of characters so they can focus on making each one as good as possible. I also feel like the obscure characters in the first game are part of why it got made fun of.

Oct 24, 2019
Also, if Sony ever makes a 2D fighting game rather than a revamped Smash clone version of PSABR, they've fucked up big time.

2D fighting games are some of the least accessible games in the entire industry. A mascot-based game that's a celebration of all your characters and IPs needs to be as accessible as possible to introduce those characters to new people. A Smash clone is perfect for that.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Smash Ultimate has just put the nail in the crossover fighting game for me and I no longer want a "PlayStation Smash Bros." It's not something I really crave anymore. Instead, I want an action game like Ultimate Alliance mixed with world hopping like Kingdom Hearts. I just want a crazy fun story about Peter Parker making interdimensional contact with Ratchet & Clank and accidentally exposing the PlayStation multiverse to a swarm of Sackboys. Or something. As you save "worlds" from Sackboys you gain characters and you spend like 2.5 hours a piece in the universes of Horizon, Bloodborne, Uncharted, God of War, Gravity Rush, and some surprise classic universes like Crash Bandicoot. Tony Hawk is also in it (as himself). The final boss is just Sephiroth.

I have ascended.

Jon God

Oct 28, 2017
I'd love a sequel to it with more polish and a bigger roster.

That being said, I'd love to see some out of the box approaches.

• Fall guys sort of mini game extravaganza... So many PS icons platform in some way or another, having something that taps into that would be cool.

• A third person Battle Royale game where you have the abilities of each character set, so like Sly can sneak, Drake can shoot, etc.

• Something akin to Overcooked, but geared towards the gameplay that the characters have.

• 30 Second Hero style game, where you have a short period of time to do _something_ as all the characters.

• Among Us style 'warewolf' inspired game, but with PlayStation characters/gameplay.

etc.

P.S. I'd always take another Kart racer.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
2d, 2v2 or 3v3 fighting game. That's it, that's all they needed in the first one

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
A consistent visual style, much more colorful, more humor, a robust single-player mode with RPG mechanics, etc.

Basically, ape Smash Bros. as much as possible. Problem with the first game is it didn't go all the way.

Also, a UI that isn't ugly as hell.

And Abby with a gold club.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
After CTR:NF, I'd love if they could get Beenox involved in a kart racer.
It'd never happen like, but it'd be great. Maybe give Crash top billing like the Sonic and SEGA racing games.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Copy Smash Bros, fully, not just 90% and then change one aspect for the worse (not being able to defeat opponents without specials)

Dec 11, 2017
One character that I think should definitely make it in is Crash Bandicoot. Another thought is that instead of trying to emulate the play style of Super Smash Bros., let it be something different. A sequel could be very nice.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Gameplay that doesn't suck ass.

Less "guy with just a gun" characters

Get Spyro and Crash in the game goddammit.

Bloodborne character

CaptainK

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
I'm no game dev, but I think it's quite challenging to create a mashup fighting game like Capcom Vs or Smash Bros. More challenging than creating a fighting game from scratch anyways, because you're pulling characters from a variety of worlds with wildly different combat styles and abilities, and somehow throwing them together in a cohesive package. It's really neat how some Smash Bros characters have bizarre or unique movesets, but it all works and the game is still kind of balanced. I played PSASBR back when it released, and I've completely forgotten what the movesets were like. Rather than infusing different aspects in the characters, it's like they were stuffed into generic roles to form the blandest fighting game I've ever played.

So what a PSAS sequel needs is the passion and attention to detail to properly celebrate the source material. Keep the roster small and highlight each character. Or heck, don't make it a fighting game, make a side-scrolling brawler where wacky moves are fine and balance is not that important.

Oct 27, 2017
I want a PSABR sequel to be a 3D arena fighter (ala Power Stone) that is based around classic God of War's mechanics. Like honestly, the 1st PlayStation was a 3D machine, 99% of PS's biggest and most iconic games (both 1st and 3rd party) are 3D, and a crossover should reflect that history rather than completely copy a game derived from concepts that originated in Kirby games.

And in addition to that I of course want super iconic PlayStation-associated characters like Crash Bandicoot day 1, I also want an appealing unified art style, more stylish UI, better music (seriously, the only song I remember was Sandover Village, and it didn't even sound remixed...) and some sort of museum-like thing chronicling PlayStation's 25+ year history.

I'd also like for Sony to actually give a fuck this time, they absolutely flaked on poor SuperBot the first time around...

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I think the game was terrible but I would love another attempt to make it a more classic fighting game, maybe 2v2 in mind. Not at the same time but with tag mechanics.

On ps5 hardware and some guests from capcom and square, it could be pure fire.

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Either go all in on copying Smash and make a straight up clone that plays really well or don't copy Smash at all and go in a completely different direction. I'd be cool with either one, especially if they take it in the 3D fighter direction posters are suggesting.

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Copy Project X Zone instead.

Actually, Nintendo should do it too, I want more like Subspace Emissary but in VN-esque form.

MS too, let Doomguy meet Clippy, and Conker finds himself in the Minecraft world, etc.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
I really think destruction all stars should use PlayStation characters and that would be it.

Kid Heart

Oct 25, 2017
Switching from the special kill system to a health bar would go a long way to improving the experience for most casual players I think. Characters in the roster would previously really sink or swim depending on how good their specials were.

In terms of character additions, try to get Activsion on board to lend you Spyro and Crash. It would go along to hitting people's nostalgia with he roster. I'd also personally like to see Aloy, Knack and Ellie added to the roster.

Maybe try to put everyone in a similar cartoony art style too so that the characters mesh better visually.

Deleted member 79517

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 31, 2020
The problem with PSASBR is the same problem with the PS Classic: Sony has almost no idea how to celebrate its own legacy.

Pay up for the characters people want to see (Crash, Spyro, Lara Croft, etc.). Create stages that celebrate the past, not just advertise the present and/or future. Pack the game with features that showcase the breadth of content your studios have provided over the years (trophies, extensive soundtracks, etc.). Include just one Cole.

I think the game itself was fine, but everything from the roster to the UI screamed "I have no idea what people like about PlayStation."

Dragun

Oct 30, 2017
Gotta name it "When World Collide"' and absolutely prioritize in having a unique art-style that all sorts of characters can fit into. Then get CyberConnect2 to develop it. Possibly make it an arena fighter or an evolution of the Naruto Storm games with it's 3 vs 3 match ups and Have the stages be a mis mash of IP's colliding into each other like God of War's Jormungandr fighting Shadow of the Colossus first colossi on the back drop of Killzone Shadow Fall's Sky Towers.

I wouldn't mind another Smash clone but I feel like it wouldn't attract any sort of talented developer that Sony & Pubs would be fine in trusting their IPs in again.