exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Seven. IX, X, XI, XII, XIII, XIV, and XV.
Mainline, as in non MMO (and yea, I play FF XIV and I love it, but it's not a mainline entry)

X, XII, XV

Thankfully, XIV had made up for a lot of it. But I do wish we'd get a single player entry on the caliber of 4-12.

I have high hopes with 16. Chasing high end visuals was Squenix's bane these past 2 generations.

OP
OP
Kalentan

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Mainline, as in non MMO (and yea, I play FF XIV and I love it, but it's not a mainline entry)

X, XII, XV

Thankfully, XIV had made up for a lot of it. But I do wish we'd get a single player entry on the caliber of 4-12.

I have high hopes with 16. Chasing high end visuals was Squenix's bane these past 2 generations.

Yes it is. So is FF11.

Brandson

Oct 26, 2017
I had forgotten how quickly Square used to pump out these games when the graphics and gameplay was simpler. Very impressive.

Spring

Oct 31, 2017
I pictured FFIX in my head, and it turns out that it was actually almost exactly 20 years ago (released Nov 2000 in NA), so would fit better in this image anyways.

Also it's insane to me that FFIX came out just a year before FFX, and yet we're here hoping we get FFXVI by the end of 2021. Crazy how fast development was back in the day and how slow it is nowadays.

I remember reading this issue of EGM and was mind blown how they announced 3 titles in one event.

Electronic-Gaming-Monthly-Issue-129-April-2000-page-035.jpg

Imagine if Square announces XVI, XVII, and XVIII today???

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017

XI and XIV are mainline. Just because they're MMOs doesn't mean they aren't mainline. If they weren't, they wouldn't be numbered titles.

I remember reading this issue of EGM and was mind blown how they announced 3 titles in one event.

Electronic-Gaming-Monthly-Issue-129-April-2000-page-035.jpg

Imagine if Square announces XVI, XVII, and XVIII today???

No thanks. The last time they announced multiple titles was when they announced XIII, Agito XIII, and Versus XIII for Fabula Nova Crystalis. We know how that turned out.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

X, XII, XV

They're definitely mainline. No way anyone would play the expansions and still say that XIV is not a mainline entry.

Viceratops

Banned
Jun 29, 2018
FFX was my first FF and JRPG. Was blown away by the designs and presentation. Gameplay took a while to learn. Forgot to upgrade the speargrid for like 4 hours.
It was my first FF but not my first JRPG. I was really young and I would watch my cousin play FF7/8/9 and wanted to play so when my parents got me a PS2, I asked for FFX and thankfully my parents allowed it. They were nervous about violent/bloody games but bought it anyway.

The game is still legendary in my mind. I honestly think it influenced the games I like today. Don't think I would be a big single player fan had I been playing Halo instead of FFX.

kamineko

Linked the Fire
Oct 25, 2017
Accardi-by-the-Sea
i don't feel any older than usual

the original came out when i was a teenager. it was actually the first game i bought with my own money. picked it up day of release

here's an old person thing: i was the only person on earth i knew that had played final fantasy. there was no internet where you could discuss final fantasy

so i lived in a little final fantasy bubble until college, where i met one person who had played it. metal gear was another game like that

Zultima

Mar 4, 2020
Crazy how much dev time and costs have skyrocketed. Games that we cherish and adore from years of old only took 1-2 years to make. Nuts

soul

Oct 27, 2017
While I loved FFX that game had some of the worst sidequests, like, ever.
Can't believe it's almost been 20 years, shit.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
Jesus, FFX is almost 20.......and it's still holds today. Absolutely fantastic story, characters and battle system. Plus probably my favorite way Summons were handled.

Bahamuts swagger in that game is so awesome

OmniStrife

Dec 11, 2017
I LOVE FFX, but man did the concept of reskinned bird? < Wakka... reskinned elemental < Lulu... reskinned armoured boi < Auron... reskinned mech < Rikku... grew old really fucking fast.
Also the 1st Final Fantasy to go longass corridor = exploration. The GFX / OST and story carried the hell out of this game.

Makoto Yuki

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Remember when they announced Fabula Nova whatever and instead of getting FFXIII, VersusXIII and, Agito XIII we got FFXIII Trilogy, FFXV, and Type-0.

Just goes to show you how difficult it was for Square to adapt to the PS3/360 Generation. Personally, FFVII Remake, DQXI, and KH III have felt like a return to what I want out of Square.

RCSI

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
My first introduction to the two words, Final Fantasy, was through the movie. My introduction to the games was FFX with the beginning of the game, which I didn't think too highly of at the time. I only really started console gaming in 1998, so there is that.