• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 4292

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm looking into purchasing one since the Pro doesn't play 4K Blu-rays and I would like to know what you guys suggest.
Dont worry about price I'm just looking for the best models on the market currently.

Obi

Oct 27, 2017
I've been thinking about getting one solely for Infinity War. I probably shouldn't spend $250 for one movie though.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
I've been thinking about getting one solely for Infinity War. I probably shouldn't spend $250 for one movie though.

You can still get some between $130-$160 that

Have an extra HDMI out for audio (so your old HDMI 1.4 Receiver gets HD sound)

Supports Both HDR10 and Dolby Vision.....and HLG HDR

Edit- have to keep an eye out for sales.

SoleSurvivor

Oct 27, 2017
My 2015 Sony only does HDR10, so I'm very happy with my Sony UBP-X800 player. X700 does DV if you need one that supports both.

GMM

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What the verdict on Xbox One S or X UHD blu-ray playback these days? I remember people had some issues with it, but for me it has been totally fine, also it should be getting Dolby Vision support later.

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't even have Dolbyvision.
UEJowVGl.png

https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1530781197

This is the only player currently that does both Dolby Vision and HDR10+ AFAIK.

Looks real good on paper.

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1530781197

This is the only player currently that does both Dolby Vision and HDR10+ AFAIK.

This is what I'm waiting for in the US. The 9000 later this year may be worth holding out for, but I need the upgrade sooner rather than later.

What the verdict on Xbox One S or X UHD blu-ray playback these days? I remember people had some issues with it, but for me it has been totally fine, also it should be getting Dolby Vision support later.

And here's the reason I need the upgrade. Playback is still subpar with the Xbox players. Star Wars Ep. 8 was near unplayable. Constant freezing, hitching, skipping, and crashing throughout. Haven't had as much of a problem with any of the others I've played, but the quality isn't as great as what I've seen with newer standalone sets.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Word on the street is Dolby Vision will be patched into the Xbox One this fall, so when that happens, that.

Dankir

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm using the LG UP-970, great price. Dual HDR + Dolby Vision. Really fast loadup time. It's great.

Absent Uncle

Oct 25, 2017
Oslo
400+ dollars. Is this thing gonna provide head and shoulders better picture than an Xbox one S or even an X?
Xbox doesn't do colours correct, so you'll lose some depth to the image that you might not notice outside of a side-by-side, but other than that probably not.

*edit* rewatched the test and it might be slightly more noticeable than I remembered, but it's still an ok player.
*edit2* The issue appears to have been fixed as of this spring

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Xbox One S is considered budget king of 4K due to low price combined with functions beyond 4k playback, though tends to be less reliable.
LG UP-970 is one of the best budget standalone players.
Sony UBP-X700 2018 is brought up often as well in that category.
OPPO is best premium standalone.

Deleted member 35011

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
What kind of speaker setup do you have? Because I'd recommend something that plays nice with Atmos depending on what you have, but if you aren't going that way you can get a cheaper model that does about the same thing, I know you said you just want the best model but figured the kind of features you want matter a bit when it comes to defining a "best model."

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how many people who don't know what they are talking about will drive by and say Xbox One S

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'd go with the Xbox One S/X myself, because not only do you get a 4K blu-ray player, but you also get access to some games not available on the PS4.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Doesn't do dolby vision as of yet, but an update is coming.

But it's definitely one of the cheaper options especially if you buy used like from Amazon. I got one for about $180 shipped and that's a 1 TB.

This is what I'm waiting for in the US. The 9000 later this year may be worth holding out for, but I need the upgrade sooner rather than later.

And here's the reason I need the upgrade. Playback is still subpar with the Xbox players. Star Wars Ep. 8 was near unplayable. Constant freezing, hitching, skipping, and crashing throughout. Haven't had as much of a problem with any of the others I've played, but the quality isn't as great as what I've seen with newer standalone sets.

Word on the street is Dolby Vision will be patched into the Xbox One this fall, so when that happens, that.

Xbox doesn't do colours correct, so you'll lose some depth to the image that you might not notice outside of a side-by-side, but other than that probably not.

*edit* rewatched the test and it might be slightly more noticeable than I remembered, but it's still an ok player.

I wonder how many people who don't know what they are talking about will drive by and say Xbox One S

Xbox One S

I got the recent LG one

Holy shit there is just endless misinformation in this thread.

• First of all, outside of HDR10 vs Dolby Vision, the Xbox One S/X will have virtually identical picture quality compared to any other players on the market. Anyone who says otherwise is incorrect.
  • The inaccurate colors during 4k disc playback was patched months ago and is no longer a problem.
  • Outside of some rare instances, playback is every bit as reliable as any other 4k player out there. I've never had playback issues with a single one of my 30+ that I've watched.
  • Lastly, there has been no confirmation that Dolby Vision is coming for disc playback. Only for streaming. CNET published an article stating that DV for disc playback was coming in the fall but Microsoft has refuted that: https://www.cnet.com/news/dolby-vision-is-coming-to-xbox-one-but-only-on-netflix-for-now

So the Xbox One S/X is an excellent 4k UHD player. It's only notable flaws are lack of Dolby Vision, and it's a bit louder than the high end standalone players. This is coming from someone who also owns an Oppo UDP-203.

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit there is just endless misinformation in this thread.

• First of all, outside of HDR10 vs Dolby Vision, the Xbox One S/X will have virtually identical picture quality compared to any other players on the market. Anyone who says otherwise is incorrect.
  • The inaccurate colors during 4k disc playback was patched months ago and is no longer a problem.
  • Outside of some rare instances, playback is every bit as reliable as any other 4k player out there. I've never had playback issues with a single one of my 30+ that I've watched.
  • Lastly, there has been no confirmation that Dolby Vision is coming for disc playback. Only for streaming. CNET published an article stating that DV for disc playback was coming in the fall but Microsoft has refuted that: https://www.cnet.com/news/dolby-vision-is-coming-to-xbox-one-but-only-on-netflix-for-now

So the Xbox One S/X is an excellent 4k UHD player. It's only notable flaws are lack of Dolby Vision, and it's a bit louder than the high end standalone players. This is coming from someone who also owns an Oppo UDP-203.

You're right, I must have imagined the endless issues with TLJ, as well as those with GOTG2 and Wonder Woman.

If it was the 2 second or so hitch that used to be the case with XBOs/X consoles, I'd almost agree. However, some nastier issues have cropped up more and not just on a single unit.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Does this "Xbox One" also plan to support JSRF alongside the Dolby Vision update this fall?

Deleted member 35011

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Yes, you need to purchase a license for it, but it's not that expensive.

Shit, really? I might get one then. Was about to upgrade my bluray myself. I don't have much of an interest in having an Xbox, but if the S plays atmos...it might be cheaper than a lot of blu ray players for me haha.

GMM

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Shit, really? I might get one then. Was about to upgrade my bluray myself. I don't have much of an interest in having an Xbox, but if the S plays atmos...it might be cheaper than a lot of blu ray players for me haha.

Just get the Dolby Access app:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/dolby-access/9n0866fs04w8

Buying an Atmos license should also give you access to Atmos for Headphones on Windows 10. I haven't used it on a Xbox since i don't have an Atmos ready speaker system (Please Sonos support it already), but I quite enjoy it on Windows 10 for my headphones.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix

Well that's a bummer Microsoft walked back on that. But, hopefully they will get around to it eventually.

Z Y

Oct 27, 2017

Antecdotal evidence, but I've watched every Marvel movie (minus a couple) over the last few months getting ready for IW. These were Blu-rays a Ultra Blu-rays. Every one of them froze or stuttered at some point in the movie. This was on an Xbox One X. It was frustrating.

I'd buy a stand-alone if I had more BRs and I had the space for it in my entertainment center (and the hdmi slots on my AVR). Maybe I have a wonky drive or maybe it can be updated. That's just been my experience :-/

Kvik

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Downunder.
I'm throwing my lot in with Oppo UDP-203. It's possibly one of the best reference player you can get, beaten only by the 205.
  • Built like a brick with aluminum from panel.
  • Fast disc loading.
  • Multiple USB 3.0 ports.
  • Support for SMB/NFS/DLNA servers via 802.11ac and 1GbE.
  • HDMI 2.0 IN port.
  • Easy modding if you have a region free kit.
  • Of course, HDR10 and DV.
They aren't cheap, and there's no built-in streaming service access, but what this unit can do, it does it extremely well.

I'm looking for something that's capable of Dolby Vision and can play MKV files.

The 203 supports these.

SliChillax

Oct 30, 2017
Tirana, Albania
It will be supported for streaming only, not the 4k blu ray player

Edit: adding to that, I wouldn't recommend buying and Xbox One for 4k blu ray. It's unreliable for bluray playback, it's loud, there's no DV and my copy of Blue Planet 2 doesn't work on it.

Last edited:

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
It will be supported for streaming only, not the 4k blu ray player

Edit: adding to that, I wouldn't recommend buying and Xbox One for 4k blu ray. It's unreliable for bluray playback, it's loud, there's no DV and my copy of Blue Planet 2 doesn't work on it.
Apparently it's streaming first, then discs later

Edit: They mentioned discs at first, but have since stopped short of confirming. I'm still confident it'll happen eventually.

Last edited:

Ryu_Ken

Oct 30, 2017
I'm looking into purchasing one since the Pro doesn't play 4K Blu-rays and I would like to know what you guys suggest.
Dont worry about price I'm just looking for the best models on the market currently.
The Panasonic UB400 offers excellent value for money and has the same video processor as it's bigger brother the ub900.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
Holy moly, had no idea some of these were $400+

LG UP-970 seems like it might be in my price range. Just bought an LG OLED C8, so looking for something worthy.

Markitron

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ireland