heathen earth

Mar 21, 2020
There are a lot of neat birds around here. I've personally seen kestrels, peregrines, red tailed hawks, ravens and bald eagles. There's also a family of albino squirrels living in our neighborhood. They're very rare and in fact I had never seen even one prior to moving here, but now I've seen three!

Sec0nd

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Horses, foxes and maybe wolves since pretty recent. Though the wolves might be slightly farther out.

Mar 30, 2019
I know it may seem self-indulgent since it's my own backyard. One chance encounter could inspire an overwhelming mixture of awe and fear. This large, brown, aggressive, yet majestic beast is native to the Adirondacks. I'm of course referring to the most obvious choice I can possibly make. So forgive me of my hubris.

This beautiful specimen of power and grace:
20d80f42-868c-4a4f-9a87-3cd07ce62740-large16x9_a085948d98424030b1ba6867d97cb4e9large16x9_1280x960_90326P00TYHBJ.jpg

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Down by the river near me lives two Swans. Also saw a Dear down there too once. Otherwise some Ducks and the odd Hedgehog etc. Rabbits too, or Hares maybe? Bound to be foxes kicking about too. So just general wild animals I would think for NE Scotland. I am ignorant of whether that is an accurate statement though.

Panthalassic

Oct 25, 2017
Caribbean reef sharks, nurse sharks, dolphins, lots of water birds, forest birds, etc.

My favourite is probably these though:
87505410_2898392640236852_6054958363194687488_n.jpg

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
I've been going on lots of trail walks with my son during the pandemic and he has been surprised at how much cool fauna there is just outside of all of the subdivisions. Biggest hits so far (not my photos) have been a big ol' snapping turtle:

and a very active muskrat in a nearby pond:

What cool animals are surprisingly near to you?
A 5k is 3.1 miles.

Piggus

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
shutterstock_1297828525_0.jpg

Mountain lions come into town since there are so many deer here. We get a lot of bears too but they're mostly harmless.

hsojlightfoot

AVALANCHE
Apr 6, 2020
I live by a giant lake. Sure might not be "cool" but I see ducks, turtles, snakes, lizards, fireflys. I even saw a fox once. Don't know if I'd exactly call these wild animals. Mostly generic.

Kodoku

Sep 20, 2019
A Hawk, wish they didn't leave a mess of their leftovers behind. Having a eaten rabbit (i believe) on the lawn is not fun to clean up. Really cool to see it flying above though.

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
Beavers are pretty cool. Feel bad for them cause the county comes by and destroys their dam every couple of months. I bet they're like, "wtf humans, we worked so hard! Grumble grumble..."

colorblindmode

Chicken Chaser
Nov 26, 2019
South Carolina
I don't know if "cool" is the right word, since they can be predators for outdoor cats and stuff, but there are a lot of coyotes where I live. Can hear them during the night.

Oct 27, 2017
Bald Eagles I guess?
Also Falcons, Owls, Vultures, Hawks, Cougars, Bears, Killer Whales, Grey Whales, Octopus, Seals, Otters (River and Sea). The list goes on.

Vancouver Island has some cool-ass animals

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
We've got raccoons, foxes, coyotes, deer, beavers, groundhogs, skunks, possums, mink, rabbits, chipmunks, snakes, turtles. Nothing really remarkable.

The closest thing to interesting are these guys in the summer:

CvjTO2X.jpg

and these guys in the winter:

AYt7IqN.jpg

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017
So much wildlife around here within 10 miles, 2 would be a disservice to the area - and it's a densely populated urban area too. I've seen Eagles, Hawks, Ospreys, Blue Herons, Brown Pelicans, all sorts of birds. We have canals around with otters. It's Florida so gators of course, if there's a puddle there's a non zero chance of a gator living in it. I've seen hammerheads, bonnet heads, and nurse sharks on the bridges going over water nearby. Dolphins everywhere. Sea turtles, softshell turtles, alligator snappers, red eared sliders. We have raccoons, opossums, and my favorite of the vermin - armadillos. We have a real coyote problem around here too. I can go on, there's just so much around here.

PS: fuck snakes and lizards.

PPS: Also fuck Canada Geese - aggressive fucks.

Thewonandonly

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Utah
Fuck Gar man.

Not only are they terrifying looking, but if you've ever tried to complete the Legendary Fishing side challenge in RDR2 you know how annoying gar are for one of those fish you try to catch.
I just don't know why his in the water after catching that fucking beast. I'd be scared the husband or wife would be seeking vengeance!!

Arebours

Oct 27, 2017
we got snakes, boar, deer, monkeys, black kite, tanuki, racoons, giant flying squirrels and japanese serow. I've seen them all within a stones throw from my house. the serow is a very strange looking animal, it's like a big furry dog with the face of a goat.

Flygon

Oct 28, 2017
We have Wallabies and Echidna near the house. It's a shame knowing further development will result in them disappearing.

Not a fan of urban sprawl.

Jasup

Oct 25, 2017
Yurop
Swifts are constantly flying outside my window. Sometimes if I'm on my balcony they do very close flybys, well within hand's reach away. Which is kinda cool.

There's also this one jackdaw that watches me eating breakfast quite often. Kind of getting used to seeing that bird on my balcony railing, staring in.

AGoodODST

Oct 28, 2017
Probably some mutated monstrosity living in the Clyde.

Unless you consider pigeons and seagulls cool.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
I had a bald eagle nest outside my front door until last week when a storm blew down the tree it was in, killing all 3 of the teenage chicks in the nest. Now the parent eagles just circle the sky endlessly.

I have pics of the dead birds if anyone is interested! I was in the local paper and got to speak to the DNR about it.

Ghost Rider

Oct 27, 2017
I routinely see black bear, fox, bald eagles, porcupine, beaver, falcons, snapping turtles. I have seen at least once, mink, fisher cat, bob cat.

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
I don't know their exact names, but there are birds around here that look like herons.

Goodacre0081

Oct 25, 2017
during one 40min walk last week. two black bears and a coyote

never seen one but Cougars live in this area too

Daggoth

Oct 25, 2017
Near a wetland, so ... probably the pelicans.

I did see a turtle once and I'm still ashamed that there's no photo :(

Agni Kai

Nov 2, 2017
I used to live in Poland for a good while and it was fairly usual to see wild boars and hedgehogs around. It was pretty cool to be honest, because the fact that wild hedgehogs exist simply blew my mind.
Now I only get to see common kestrels and that's about it.

TheRyzzl

Oct 5, 2018
Girlfriend lives by the water and we went kayaking the other day. Saw a big ass seal just chilling on a buoy. This was in the puget sound in Washington. Also there's bald eagles, cayotes, deer.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
A lot to pick from, but a couple of the most interesting ones I've seen (rarely): the fisher and the snowy owl.

fisher-forests-North-America.jpg

2928894fa0db6f79ef787899e1a9cbe8.png

Addi

Oct 25, 2017
Met a deer while running in the forrest 2km from my home. Met a hedgehog too. Heard about a Moose jumping onto some neighbor's terrace. Also seen regular smaller animals like vipers, badgers etc. There's also the sea nearby, so different types of fish, crabs etc. Seagulls can get fucked, flying rats...