• Moneyball

Votes: 52 11.5%

• Total voters

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
giphy.gif

I0SrHj3.gif

A League of Their Own for me. It's just a damn perfect movie. It's got humor, romance, drama, great acting, writing, and it tells a story that's focused on a time and place that isn't told really in any other baseball movie. It's a beautifully poignant movie for me.

Field of Dreams is close (I think that's probably the movie that can make any guy tear up) and Sandlot is like the best coming of age/baseball movie.

mangopositive

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Field of Dreams.

I just lost my dad to cancer a week and a half before Fathers' Day. He left for California, 3000 miles away when I was 13. I have only seen him maybe 8 or 9 times since then. I'm 42.

Think I'll watch the last 30 minutes...

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
The Sandlot

Moneyball is a very close 2nd though

The Sandlot holds a lot of personal significance for me, as I watched it at least 50 times with my grandfather when I was younger, on a VHS that he had recorded when the movie aired on TV one day.

He didn't know a damn thing about baseball, but he'd always sit down and watch it with me and enjoy it, and I'll never forget those memories.

hodayathink

Oct 25, 2017
Sandlot is in no way a bad movie, but it's maybe the 4th/5th best movie on this list, propped up by the fact that it was a movie aimed at kids during the time that most of the people in this thread were kids (myself included). Also, that Squints scene is pretty awful if you take a second to think about it.

Oct 25, 2017
Bull Durham captures an aspect of the soul of Baseball in a way that no other movie does. The fact that baseball is a game about eternal optimism in the face of constant failure.

Deleted member 11039

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I love the Sandlot and feel weird talking bad about it, but it has absolutely no business being in this conversation.

This is a heavyweight group with lots of great flicks but the correct answer is Bull Durham, the one that got a friggin Criterion release.

F8ccTNsIp0YCldjDb9xzRmKeUVuCT4_large.jpg

Last edited:

AlteredBeast

Don't Watch the Tape!
Oct 27, 2017
My little Graham enjoyed Field of Dreams tonight and liked that the character he is named after is such a badass. The picture quality and sound was terrible, though lol. It looks better at home on my 110" screen!

I bawled like a baby at the end, just like always. How can you not? It's amazing that a film drenched with such sentimental moments never comes off schmaltzy.