• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Phediuk

Oct 27, 2017
Tecmo Secret of the Stars was so stock it literally had a villain named "Badbad".

SkyOdin

Apr 21, 2018
Lufia and the Fortress of Doom comes pretty close. You play as the descendant of a legendary hero who has to face a group of villains called the Sinistrals. It hits pretty much every genre cliche and plays them straight. I still love the game though.

It does distinguish itself with its memorable opening though, as well as a big plot twist later in the game.

phant0m

Oct 29, 2017
Any JRPG that opens with a "festival".

Kidding, most branch out on many different ways after that, but c'mon guys. That trope was SO dead in like 1999.

Zutter

Oct 19, 2018
Magna Carta 2 I guess.

A protagonist with no memories of his past joins forces with a princess in a war between the north and the south. Pretty sure there was something about an evil ancient weapon in there too.

Though I still enjoyed the game for what it was.

Ex-Psych

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Brave Story New Traveler for the psp

Generic "Another World" rpg I've played IMO.

Kizuna

Oct 27, 2017
Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth is my go-to example of an extremely generic RPG in a modern setting.

Several explorable neighborhoods of Tokyo as the game world, a mix of J-Pop and electronic beats for a soundtrack, separate world where you go to fight monsters and a bunch of anime cliches acting as the main characters in a similarly cheesy story. Not bad per se, but nothing about it is unique.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Sands of Destruction on DS. Shame because the initial story draft painted a picture of a more interesting scenario, at the least.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Fairy Fencer F maybe? It's the most aggressively uninteresting of the Compile Heart games I tried before completely writing them off forever. The Wikipedia story summary:
A long time ago there was a conflict between a goddess and an evil god. The two deities didn't fight directly, but created a large number of special weapons for others to use. Eventually, these powers sealed each other and the power vanished from the world. Fast forward to modern times where these leftover weapons are called "Furies" and warriors that wield them are "Fencers." Fury weapons are said to be incredibly powerful, so Fencers constantly scramble to acquire them. By a strange coincidence, two fencers, Fang and Tiara, get caught up in the struggle between the goddess and evil god.
WHAT A UNIQUE AND INTERESTING PREMISE.
Would have mentioned it... But like, at least it's a crossover? A terrible one that wastes its potential, but it's got that going for it at least.

Last edited:

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Guardian's Crusade or SaGa Frontier 2. The first is so generic its charming, the second is so nonsense outside its amazing art its crazy.

requiem

Dec 3, 2017
Lost Sphear is probably the most generic video game I've ever played, let alone the most generic JRPG. Tokyo RPG Factory would have to be the most appropriate name ever for a developer: their games feel like they've come off an assembly line.

OP
OP

Phediuk

Oct 27, 2017
Lufia and the Fortress of Doom comes pretty close. You play as the descendant of a legendary hero who has to face a group of villains called the Sinistrals. It hits pretty much every genre cliche and plays them straight. I still love the game though.

It does distinguish itself with its memorable opening though, as well as a big plot twist later in the game.

The funny thing about Lufia is that it's a shameless ripoff of Lunar, which is about as generic as it gets to start with.

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I may get some flak for this, but although I ended up loving the game, Dragon Quest XI was really paint by numbers. I don't play a lot of JRPGs these days though so I don't have a huge pool to pull from.

Tektonic

Oct 25, 2017
Dragoneeer's Aria on the psp.

It's one redeeming feature is the guard mechanic. Everything else is generic..

And yes, I finished it. I'm not sure why

preta

Oct 25, 2017
Legend of Heroes 1-3 on PSP
This is entirely the fault of the localizations, which completely bungle the excellent Japanese writing. (They also screw up the numbering - "2" is actually 3, "1" is actually 4, and "3" is actually 5!) The PSP versions are also the worst versions of the games aside from the localizations.
Correct post. Most vanilla game I have ever played. Everything about it is painfully generic
This actually hurt me. And also makes me think you haven't seen what real "generic" looks like. The characters and worldbuilding alone are far above most of the genre.

Masaru

Oct 28, 2017
Time and Eternity

Playing through the first few hours was okay-ish then it got painfully generic.

Marukoban

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Probably Kingdom Hearts 1.
The story are so uninspiring and the combat super basic.
Terrible camera.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Terrible camera.
I mean the OP was asking for generic, not what JRPG you think is mediocre or bad. Kingdom Hearts cant be generic just by virtue of being a crossover between Final Fantasy and Disney characters. That is unique, even if you don't think its particularly good

fatty

Oct 27, 2017
I agree with Golden Sun and Breath of Fire 1. Couldn't finish them, they were so boring and generic. Both great looking games, but mediocre in the fun department.

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
tales of graces managed to take a game that takes place on an artificial moon orbiting mars into a generic friendship fest with some of the shoddiest world-building i've ever seen

gameplay sucked too because they felt the need to take everything fun from Destiny R and go "let's not do any of that"

Marukoban

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I mean the OP was asking for generic, not what JRPG you think is mediocre or bad. Kingdom Hearts cant be generic just by virtue of being a crossover between Final Fantasy and Disney characters. That is unique, even if you don't think its particularly good

The story premise of KH is very generic though.
About heart and heartless and some generic disney villains + other worlds.
The combat is also very basic generic action combat. KH2 added a lot more options.
This all depends on where you see it from and hence why you can see different answers in this thread.

ULTROS!

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I will definitely get called out for saying this but on paper, Dragon Quest is what you can call generic:
- Town has a problem -> Go to dungeon to fight the boss -> Save town -> Repeat for next town
- Medieval towns 90% of the time (that changed with DQXI) and majority of the towns are indistinguishable from each other
- You're the hero of light saving the world from darkness
- Turn based battles with almost to little variation
- You've got slime monsters, demon monsters, etc.

But in the end, it's well executed and pulls it off well and doesn't make it look boring, in fact it's the complete opposite. I like the DQ series especially V and XI.

brambles13

Oct 27, 2017
Golden Sun has pretty awesome puzzles so it can't be fully generic. Trails of series has the best world building in any jrpg period so it can't be the most generic. Dragon Quest basically invented the genre so it only feele generic because everyine copies it to varying extents. Lunar, Breath of Fire 1, and FF4 all felt generic to me.

Luminaire

Oct 25, 2017
Lost Odyssey.

It's an uninspired store-brand Final Fantasy knockoff that fails to stand out as anything other than a collection of ideas taken wholesale from the series it's trying so hard to be.
Its only identity is that it's from the creator of Final Fantasy.

pbayne

Oct 27, 2017
Trails of Zesteria. Chosen one, go the four temples, ancient evil blah blah blah. It had it all.

gordofredito

Banned
Jan 16, 2018
Tales of Zestiria.
The best and only damn good thing about this videogame is its theme song "White Light", it's epic.

Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth is my go-to example of an extremely generic RPG in a modern setting.
Several explorable neighborhoods of Tokyo as the game world, a mix of J-Pop and electronic beats for a soundtrack, separate world where you go to fight monsters and a bunch of anime cliches acting as the main characters in a similarly cheesy story. Not bad per se, but nothing about it is unique.
I found the DigiEvolving and Devolving feature extremely compelling, sure the game is far from a 10. But I enjoyed this game waaaay more than Pokemon Moon which I also bought that same month.
I'm a Pokemon guy through and through, but I devoured Cyber Sleuth while I have yet to finish Pokemon Moon, ugh. What an awful game.
With all that said, I do agree everything else about Cyber Sleuth was generic
Trails in the Sky FC
I mean, in its structure maybe. But the combat is a pretty interesting thing imo, the story unfolds quite well and the characters manage to evolve past their initial "2D feel". Probably one of the biggest gaming surprises I've had, I would call it a 10 for sure. I've yet to play the rest of the trilogy and I am dying to, just gotta get enough free time to do so :s
Terrible camera.
you have no idea what generic is. Not liking it doesn't make it generic, stop being this dumb please

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Trails in the Sky FC
The psp legend of heroes series before trails is even more generic, at least I can still remember character name and story bit of trails fc when I start trails sc years later. I don't even remember the main character name of legend of heroes psp.

Okay I just google it, it's called legend of heroes: tears of vermilion