• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Sep 14, 2018
220px-Half-Life_2_cover.jpg

Some games are not for everyone I get it, but this game people act like is the second coming of Jesus when in reality it wasn't anything amazing yet it is always in the top 10 best videogames of all time, what games in your opinion are massively overrated ( I call it the "avatar" movie effect)

Kolya

Jan 26, 2018
Going off the metacritic ratings I would have to say the majority of Zelda games and GTA games.

I should say this is also my opinion, I think these games are good games just wildly overrated, with particular attention to BotW and GTAV

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
I love HL2 but that is honestly a great choice. The first game was way better. I couldn't admit to myself even though subconsciously I knew it was a disappointing sequel.

My vote goes to Halo. Why it took off the way it did I'll never understand.

OP
OP
AlexinChains87
Sep 14, 2018
I love HL2 but that is honestly a great choice. The first game was way better. I couldn't admit to myself even though subconsciously I knew it was a disappointing sequel.

My vote goes to Halo. Why it took off the way it did I'll never understand.

I think Halo was kind of the king of LAN parties on console, then it became king of online with 2.

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Can't decide between Halo 2 and Uncharted 2

Both were such a massive step down from their predecessors for me.

Halo 2 has a ridiculously forgettable campaign and borderline broken multiplayer but some amazing maps.

Uncharted 2 took the well designed, exploration encouraging levels of Drake's fortune and traded them for a bunch of funnels that led you to the next set piece. All without fixing anything that was wrong with Drake's Fortune. But you know....pretty graphics so all is forgiven.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Witcher 3.

And I love Witcher 3.

Breath of the Wild is another good one. Fantastic game, but not the pinnacle of all an open world could be.

OwOtacon

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 18, 2018
Whichever one you like the most B-)

I have an actual answer to this, but I think conversations based around what is overrated are toxic troll-bait threads, so I won't answer

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't find Dark Souls to be fun at all.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you're going to make (and really, participate in for the other posters) such a boilerplate GameFAQS entry level thread, at least elaborate on why the game in question is overrated.

Deleted member 35071

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
well...ppl finally came around to GTA 4 being a stinker.

its def Last of Us. ppl just aint ready to admit that its mediocre yet.
If that game came out as an Xbox exclusive instead. It woulda got like a 6 or 7 out of 10

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
220px-Half-Life_2_cover.jpg

Some games are not for everyone I get it, but this game people act like is the second coming of Jesus when in reality it wasn't anything amazing yet it is always in the top 10 best videogames of all time, what games in your opinion are massively overrated ( I call it the "avatar" movie effect)
Lmfao that this is the game I see. The reason I say this is because I gave a quick thought before entering. I picked it's 2004 arch nemesis.

Halo 2.

Castor Archer

Jan 8, 2019
Yep, I definitely agree with Half Life 2. Played it for the first time when the orange box launched and was very unimpressed. Maybe it was a time and place thing, but I was just bored to death playing it and hated the way everything felt. Atleast we got Portal out of it.

Begaria

Oct 27, 2017
Breath of the Wild, and just a few things that makes it overrated:

1. Gets a pass for generic open world design mechanics such as climbing towers to reveal areas and having a repeatable collectible that gets less desirable the more you get.

2. The game has a beginning and an end, and a very optional, very missable middle portion of its story that's maybe too well hidden.

3. They made one dungeon, then repeated it four times with the exact same premise in terms of setup, and even doing the Divine Beasts has one measly pay off that looks cool, but should've been far more effective.

4. "Wow it has a physics engine!" said everyone who never played Half Life 2 (irony considering OP)

5. The melee combat takes a step back comparatively to the likes of Wind Waker or Twilight Princess.

6. In being too open and freedom focused, it loses a lot of what makes the Zelda series special.

I leave you with this screenshot from Divinity Original Sin 2 which captures all my thoughts in BoTW in one beautiful phrase.

D0ybl05X0AA53gp.jpg:large

neojmr

Jun 3, 2018
Can't decide between Halo 2 and Uncharted 2

Both were such a massive step down from their predecessors for me.

Halo 2 has a ridiculously forgettable campaign and borderline broken multiplayer but some amazing maps.

Uncharted 2 took the well designed, exploration encouraging levels of Drake's fortune and traded them for a bunch of funnels that led you to the next set piece. All without fixing anything that was wrong with Drake's Fortune. But you know....pretty graphics so all is forgiven.

What?uc2 is far better than uc1

pahlke1

Oct 28, 2017
Brisbane
I agree with an earlier commenter. I've tried to play Borderlands countless times and I just give up. It just doesn't interest me at all now

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Probably Shadow of Mordor. It's the worst video game I've ever played.... and it won GOTY awards.

Skyrim is pretty bad too.

EDIT: Oh Borderlands is a good choice too. Really dull game.

EDIT 2: BOTW is overrated but definitely not the most overrated. It's a 9 rather than a 10.

Deleted member 35071

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
i disliked Bloodborne. But i can almost see how someone thats like one of these die-hard dark souls fans could like it alot. I mean its def overrated in the sense of it being some amazing game that everyone needs to play. But i can see ppl that like that kinda game thinking its amazing.

If i had just gotten a PS4, and could only get 1 game, and was talked into buying Bloodborne. I would fight whoever suggested that.