SanTheSly

The San Symphony Project
Sep 2, 2019
United Kingdom
ds2_ik3solbon.jpg

Belfry Sol bonfire being doing a one way ledge that requires you to do a massive run-around over the roof every single time if you want another go at the room with the platforms hanging over the lava pit. Optional bonfire but it's such a cruel glimmer of hope. The only other bonfire in this area is past Smelter Demon, so it really is a case of picking your poison.

bombdrop

Banned
Jun 11, 2019
The earlier games like Demons and Dark have to top the list. Dying to the Guardian Ape when the Sculptor's Idol is 6ft away from the boss fight is nothing.

Dark Souls 1, Falling through the map, getting cursed by a frog and trying to solve how to get half your lifebar back.
Dark Souls 1, Basically the same area. Guardian Ape? Try the Capra Demon. The closest bonfire is miles away and as soon as you enter the fog you can basically be one shotted. Awesome.
Demons Souls, The Depraved Chasm in Dark World. Ouch. The black phantom versions of Giant Depraved Ones hit like a truck and are basically impossible to get around without fighting. Slogging through all those enemies to just get to the leechmonger with no bonfire.

How about breaking your main weapon during the middle of a boss fight? Thats a classic suck moment.

Tidalwaves

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
The earlier games like Demons and Dark have to top the list. Dying to the Guardian Ape when the Sculptor's Idol is 6ft away from the boss fight is nothing.

Dark Souls 1, Falling through the map, getting cursed by a frog and trying to solve how to get half your lifebar back.
Dark Souls 1, Basically the same area. Guardian Ape? Try the Capra Demon. The closest bonfire is miles away and as soon as you enter the fog you can basically be one shotted. Awesome.
Demons Souls, The Depraved Chasm in Dark World. Ouch. The black phantom versions of Giant Depraved Ones hit like a truck and are basically impossible to get around without fighting. Slogging through all those enemies to just get to the leechmonger with no bonfire.

How about breaking your main weapon during the middle of a boss fight? Thats a classic suck moment.
I get it but if any of these things applied to guardian ape it would be too much piled on one boss. Sekiro already had different combat and this might have hard walled casuals if it was a long walk or your sword could break. Most of Demon souls alone walled casuals with this stuff.

Kineticn22

May 25, 2021
Lisboa, Portugal
I don't know about you, but the perspective of being welcomed to the Lands Between by someone telling me to "feel free to go off and die in a ditch somewhere" feels pretty rude.

Cruxist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Can't believe no one has mentioned one of my faves, Isshin the Glock Saint.

An honorable sword duel until he whips out his rapid fire glock and just melts you. The first time it happened, I was stunned lol.

Oct 31, 2017
ds2_ik3solbon.jpg

Belfry Sol bonfire being doing a one way ledge that requires you to do a massive run-around over the roof every single time if you want another go at the room with the platforms hanging over the lava pit. Optional bonfire but it's such a cruel glimmer of hope. The only other bonfire in this area is past Smelter Demon, so it really is a case of picking your poison.
I'm probably reading this wrong since my meds haven't kicked in, but there's a hidden bonfire right before the boss. It's connected to the room with fire spewing in each direction

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
I think the quintessential has to be the mimic. Its not the hardest, but designing an enemy to look like a player reward has to be the ultimate in intentional nefarious rudeness.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
The two Knight bastards on the Rooftop in Anor Londo. Yep this was my go to example.

In my first playthrough, after a gazillion tries I finally made it past them and then I went into the room with the bonfire and made the mistake of talking to Solaire first without lighting the bonfire. Someone invaded me (won't let you light bonfire during that) and killed me in a very close match.

I just want whoever did that to me to know that I hate you very, very much.

ftchrs

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
When they effectively removed dynamic lighting from Dark Souls 2 but left in vestigial gameplay mechanics that relied on it.

Oct 31, 2017
I know I complained about DS3 like 3 times in here but now I miss it lol. I will never forget how insanely intimidating the first 5ish areas of the game felt. And the level design is the best I've ever experienced, coupled with Bloodborne (and Sekiro is a close second).

It's just that the enemies annoyed me like no other FS game