• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
There's something really weird with GTA V, but I can't quite put my finger on it.
Like, I've played IV but stopped eventually. But I finished GTA V in it's entirety. But I largely prefer the former then the latter, even though I never finished it.

... hopefully the main character in RDR2 will be better written than the trash fire that was John Marston, the most gullible, naive, idiotic outlaw in the West

You shut your mouth.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
V is actually my favourite GTA entry. It's the first entry that hasn't been mediocre in the graphics department - for as amazing as the other games have been, graphics were never a strong point until V, where the suddenly became the best in the genre. They ditched the horrific vehicle controls of IV, and kept the proper open world mission structure of TBoGT instead of the inflexible, scripted missions of IV.

Probably my biggest criticism of V is how whiny Franklin is as a character.

Garjon

Oct 27, 2017
There's something really weird with GTA V, but I can't quite put my finger on it.
Like, I've played IV but stopped eventually. But I finished GTA V in it's entirety. But I largely prefer the former then the latter, even though I never finished it.

You shut your mouth.
Prove me wrong?

The super streetwise outlaw who thinks that he can walk up to his old gangmates after betraying them to the Feds and get them to come quietly to a life sentence? The same streetwise outlaw who trusts every single person completely in an era notorious for double-crossing? The same streetwise outlaw who thinks the Mexican army would honour their word even though they were clearly monstrous people who would sell out anyone for money? The same streetwise outlaw who trusted the FBI never to come after him despite everything that had happened in the game after that. During that final sequence I was shouting at the screen for John to just take his family, sell the farm and go somewhere far away because anyone could see the betrayal coming from miles away. So when it did come, it did not feel tragic, it felt completely forced. John Marston was a hugely frustrating character to play as and actually sums up a big problem with R* open world games that I have always had - you never really have any freedom. You can go anywhere in this big open world but when it comes to the story, you are a passenger, not a player

King Alamat

Nov 22, 2017
V is actually my favourite GTA entry. It's the first entry that hasn't been mediocre in the graphics department - for as amazing as the other games have been, graphics were never a strong point until V, where the suddenly became the best in the genre. They ditched the horrific vehicle controls of IV, and kept the proper open world mission structure of TBoGT instead of the inflexible, scripted missions of IV.

I dunno what you remember, but speaking as someone who completed a dozen playthroughs through every mainline GTA game since San Andreas, that hand-holding didn't disappear in an expansion or even the next entry, for that matter.

aSqueakyLime

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
England

My takeaway from the game was Franklin was the only one who reacted normally to anything. He's pretty much the straight guy of the story. Michael and Trevor on the other hand to me were just cartoony stereotypes.

I wish the story was more grounded and not insane/whacky. It's fine to make a story like that but GTAV tries to come across as still serious and like we're supposed to care about the characters. Can't have your cake and eat it.

Oct 27, 2017

I am sorry but did we play the same game? GTA4 had some scripted missions but over all it was a game that let you use the open world to your benefits. There is a whole thread in GTA4 where it shows plenty of alternative ways to do the missions.

In GTA5 the missions were so damn scripted that if you even try to do something the opposite of what the game tells you to do you will get a mission failed. It was like a damn Call of Duty campaign.

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
Prove me wrong?

The super streetwise outlaw who thinks that he can walk up to his old gangmates after betraying them to the Feds and get them to come quietly to a life sentence? The same streetwise outlaw who trusts every single person completely in an era notorious for double-crossing? The same streetwise outlaw who thinks the Mexican army would honour their word even though they were clearly monstrous people who would sell out anyone for money? The same streetwise outlaw who trusted the FBI never to come after him despite everything that had happened in the game after that. During that final sequence I was shouting at the screen for John to just take his family, sell the farm and go somewhere far away because anyone could see the betrayal coming from miles away. So when it did come, it did not feel tragic, it felt completely forced. John Marston was a hugely frustrating character to play as and actually sums up a big problem with R* open world games that I have always had - you never really have any freedom. You can go anywhere in this big open world but when it comes to the story, you are a passenger, not a player

John Marston isn't supposed to be the smartest guy around. He's just a really genuine guy. And yes, he trusts a lot of people based on basically nothing. But the thing is, he doesn't really have a choice. The only that matters to him is taken hostage and he'll do anything to get it back, even if it means trusting the wrong people. Because it's either that or getting arrested and never seeing them again. And if you remember, the fact that he's clueless about what the FBI is going to do, is actually talked about in the game by Dutch. The whole story is a tragedy about a unlucky guy who wanted to live in peace after everything that happened to him.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
I can't even put my head around the fact that some people actually prefer 4 over 5. I mean oppinions and different taste and all, but this feels to me like prefering Devil May Cry 2 over 3.
4 was such a letdown after the amazing GTA San Andreas. It also controlled like shit, the shooting was bad and there were no checkpoints (they added them in the DLC AFAIR, but that was too late).

V felt like the GTA IV I always wanted and it's easily my favorite of all GTA games.

yuraya

Oct 25, 2017
3 character set up was too many. It was just sloppy and the experience was discombobulated. Should have done 2 and really mastered that style before going for 3.

Also the mission design was too repetitive and boring. 90% of the game is basically driving from point A to point B. That is sadly most open world games but devs need to be more creative. Future GTA needs more ways to complete missions, dialogue options and other rpg elements. Especially if you are gonna do 3 fucking characters. The Cyberpunk 2077 demo really showed a lot of potential. Hopefully GTA6 is as ambitious.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
The problem with GTA 5 is that it sold too well with a transaction filled multiplayer component and now we're still ages away from another single player GTA experience.

Would have loved to have seen some single player expansions in the interim but I guess that doesn't sell as much these days.

Ultimadrago

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
it's an amazing sandbox but the main storyline is pretty lame plus way too short and while i like michael i didn't really give a crap about trevor and franklin.

it's still a 10/10 in my book just for the amazing open world, i also sometimes just start the game to play some tennis.

Yep. To this day I wonder why the story turned out like such random slop. It still turned out to be one of my games of the PS3/360 generation though. I'll be there for GTA6 early.

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
I was disappointed at the lack of interactivity with the world, after IV I assumed we'd be seeing a much greater degree of buildings we could enter... but no, most of them were window dressing with nothing to them. Otherwise, I enjoyed it. I still enjoy a quick game from time to time of just creating as much mayhem as possible.

nachum00

Oct 26, 2017
San Andreas is the best in the series and GTA4 is the worst.
San Andreas was an over-the-top goofy satire, while GTA4 took the series in a more serious route and it's the main reason I don't like it. Sure it was still satirical but the story tried to be more grounded and emotional, and that shift in tone felt at odds with the over-the-top gameplay you would engage in.

GTA5 however feels like it lands somewhere in between. It tried to be serious at times but not to the extent of 4 and it's the better game for that reason.
I think the Houser's are only good at writing wacky satires. Whenever they try their hand at serious satire à la GTA4 or RDR I end up hating it.

Deleted member 12833

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I prefer GTA4, and say 5 is lacking in a lot of areas the previous games didn't. The character switching was also terrible

lush

Oct 26, 2017
Knoxville, TN
Did Rockstar ever mention why they toned down Euphoria in GTA V? I just assumed it was due to hardware limitations on consoles at the time. V was definitely a step down in that department vs IV with a lot of detail/systems lost.

OP
OP
lil jetski

lil jetski

Nov 1, 2017
OP you make no sence and contradict yourself, you love GTA SA but 5 is to "gamey"
SA is more arcadey or gamey then 5.
No, I don't. In fact, I didn't even define "gamey", which was clearly a mistake as you have taken it to mean unrealistic. SA, and previous GTAs, to me just felt like a world, for better or worse. It was sometimes monotonous, often cumbersome to interact with the world, but you sort of believed in it. In the same way I think Morrowind presents a more believable world than Skyrim. GTAV was the first game in the series where I was very much aware I was playing a game. All these measures to make it so the player is never bored. Switching characters (if character A is lost in the woods just switch to B who might be engaged in something more fun), mission checkpoints, reduced vehicle damage, controlling cars mid-flight and even flipping them if you land upside down, character abilities, "easier" physics. It's all just bullets that "objectively" make for a better game, but to me it really made me disconnect with the world. That's what I mean with "gamey". It has nothing to do with realistic missions or whatever

Deleted member 1656

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So-Cal
I think it suffers from trying to be both a massive singleplayer and a massive multiplayer game. It would be better if it was one of those things.

Feb 10, 2018
No, I don't. In fact, I didn't even define "gamey", which was clearly a mistake as you have taken it to mean unrealistic. SA, and previous GTAs, to me just felt like a world, for better or worse. It was sometimes monotonous, often cumbersome to interact with the world, but you sort of believed in it. In the same way I think Morrowind presents a more believable world than Skyrim. GTAV was the first game in the series where I was very much aware I was playing a game. All these measures to make it so the player is never bored. Switching characters (if character A is lost in the woods just switch to B who might be engaged in something more fun), mission checkpoints, reduced vehicle damage, controlling cars mid-flight and even flipping them if you land upside down, character abilities, "easier" physics. It's all just bullets that "objectively" make for a better game, but to me it really made me disconnect with the world. That's what I mean with "gamey". It has nothing to do with realistic missions or whatever

Your unlucky then its one of the most praised GTAs and the highest selling.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Sure, I have no problem accepting that I simply don't like the taste of saffron in cooking or the music of Mumford & Sons, but this is different. It's like an objectively superior version of my favorite game of all time. So WHY aren't I enjoying it?
Maybe you've "grown up" or your tastes have changed over time?

What you liked in gaming when San Andreas came out and what you liked in gaming ten years later when genres had changed much more and gaming in general had changed a lot might be different.

Also, maybe you don't like it for the exact reasons you listed in the OP.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
GTAV just lacked tension and challenge. Car chases were dull because it was so easy to outrun the police. In earlier games, your vehicle would easily get damaged and blow up, forcing you to run and find another one before they caught you.

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
RDR one was the first game the typical Rockstar humor bugged me, here and there it was ok and somewhat fitting to this not really serious western world, but sometimes it was so out of tone with the world, that it really annoyed me.
Max Payne 3 was more restrained, but not really as restrained as a Max Payne game needed to be.
GTA V has the world that suits the Rockstar humor, their own world. The problem is that their has become so polished, complex and unjanky that their over the top american satire showed that it won't be without disconnect the more realistic and polished their worlds were becoming... that and that the politics in the real world gave their way of satire (and their sexism too) a really bad undertone.

Really hope they have re-invented their humor with RDR2.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
I am sorry but did we play the same game? GTA4 had some scripted missions but over all it was a game that let you use the open world to your benefits. There is a whole thread in GTA4 where it shows plenty of alternative ways to do the missions.

In GTA5 the missions were so damn scripted that if you even try to do something the opposite of what the game tells you to do you will get a mission failed. It was like a damn Call of Duty campaign.
I found that the opposite was the case. Instead of IV with its enemies in god mode until certain points in the mission, etc., in V there were clear 'shortcuts' you could take to complete the missions by exploiting the sandbox nature of the game.

16bitnova

Oct 28, 2017
As someone mentioned before. The drive here, shoot this, drive here formula gets old real quick.

Feb 10, 2018
I am aware. I'm not arguing facts. Its success makes it even more baffling why I just can't get into it. But reading some of the replies in this thread, it's clear some people feel the same way.

You find peopled that dislike anything.

But when somone says they dont like a game and they dont know why I dont really know where the discussion can go...

TheBored23

Aug 10, 2018
I come at this from a different perspective: GTA V was the first (and still only) GTA I've played. I liked it enough to complete the story, which is more than I can say for a lot of games of its scale. And yet there's a certain hollowness to it, I feel, where I haven't felt compelled to return to take on the various side activities. As a sandbox, there's only so much you can do in that world.

Oct 27, 2017
I found that the opposite was the case. Instead of IV with its enemies in god mode until certain points in the mission, etc., in V there were clear 'shortcuts' you could take to complete the missions by exploiting the sandbox nature of the game.
I replayed GTA4 a couple of months ago and it had almost none of that (apart from a couple of chases). Most of the time you could climb a building and snipe people or go through the back door or even use the phone to your advantage.

In GTA5 I had tons of mission failed screens when I tried doing the opposite of what the game told me. It is nowhere near as open as GTA4.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Yeah count me as one of the weird minority who wasn't impressed with GTA V. I thought GTA IV had a more compelling premise and characters, the classic immigrant following the American dream trope, etc. I played GTA V around the same time as Sleeping Dogs and found SD far superior in terms of story, gameplay, and soundtrack. Of course GTA V is an impressive game with incredible detail, but there was just something about it that felt off to me. I didn't like any of the characters except for Franklin.

It's success always blows me away though, still in the top charts to this day.

Deleted member 37151

Account closed at user request
Banned
Jan 1, 2018
I felt this way when V first dropped. San Andreas is probably my favorite game of all time. IV was almost as good. It was just missing too many features (country side and planes to name a few). V, on paper, was the perfect combo. All of the features of SA, plus graphics even beyond IV. I was positive this would be the new king, but it just...didn't click. I can't really explain why. I recently bought the Xbox One remaster and realized I still feel this way.

I dislike the three character setup. I think the driving and flying is way worse (controversial opinion, I know). All in all, I think it's too "gamey" somehow. There was an element of unpredictability with the earlier ones, like you could do things the game hadn't planned on. V is just too polished or something. It's just "a game", sans the magic of the precious entries. Or I've just gotten older.

Does anyone else feel that V just wasn't right, and if so, could you please tell me why that is? It's been a mystery to me for five years now. It should, on paper, be my favorite game of all time, but in reality it's like 7/10.
I hated all the characters.

Apr 16, 2018
It's boring and feels terrible to play.

I played the first few missions in GTA V and deleted it from my HDD forever.

Candescence

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Feels like shit to play. The amount of input latency is unacceptable to me.

I am done with games made on this engine. A shame because I would love to play the new Read Dead but I just know it will be awful to control again.

Max Payne 3 wasn't too bad, but even that felt sluggish when compared to Max Payne 2.
It's a combination of input latency and reliance on animation-based 'root motion' for basically everything, with an emphasis on "realism" over good control feel.

The problem with it is Rockstar still demands that their games be realistic so you're never going to get a game with San Andreas' mission diversity ever again, because doing things like jetpacking out of area 51 is too "weird" in a cinematic game. I mean it's a way better game than IV was but it's still held back by that over reliance on realism that all Rockstar games have suffered from since IV. Part of the reason they went with the 3 character approach is because they couldn't imagine franklin or michael being able to fly a jet, but they gave trevor an air force background so it "makes sense" that he can fly jets. That shows how warped their thinking is when it comes to making a fun game.
Here's the most ridiculous part - GTAO has been introducing increasingly unrealistic elements. I mean, for pete's sake, the more recent updates have included flying cars, jetpacks and a heist plotline about some silicon valley nutjob trying to take over the world with an AI. And it's a prequel to the GTAV storyline.

King Alamat

Nov 22, 2017
It's a combination of input latency and reliance on animation-based 'root motion' for basically everything, with an emphasis on "realism" over good control feel.

Here's the most ridiculous part - GTAO has been introducing increasingly unrealistic elements. I mean, for pete's sake, the more recent updates have included flying cars, jetpacks and a heist plotline about some silicon valley nutjob trying to take over the world with an AI. And it's a prequel to the GTAV storyline.
I hate to be that guy, but GTAO's caught up to the current year at least since the Gunrunning update.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah it seems like the online team has a lot more creative freedom and aren't trapped to what the Housers want. It's just too bad it's all locked away to the online, I would kill to experience some of that stuff in a single player GTA again.

Oct 27, 2017
I felt like it could have done with more Easter eggs and collectibles but apart from that I found it to be a near-flawless experience.

Opto

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The story and everything felt too small for how big the map was, and It always felt like a chore to roll up to the north side of the map only for the next mission to be in the city. Compared to how Breath of the Wild was designed, the map didn't lead yu from one thing on the horizon to the next. Any of the distractors between point A and B were somewhat crude feeling minigames that really put you off path without it being worth the time.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
Switching characters sucks and makes it hard to get into the game. I have the same problem and have never made it more than 10 hrs or so into the game.

They need to focus on just one protagonist. RDR worked soooooo much better in that regard by comparison. You really felt a connection to John. Other playable characters stories should have been single player DLC or something.

Hopefully they can fix this problem for the next GTA.

Mobias

Oct 27, 2017
Edinburgh
Considering I followed every pre-release article I could find and obsessed over every screenshot as I do with any GTA release I ended up playing GTAV less than any other game in the franchise. It was technically and artistically a marvel, as every Rockstar game is, but the three characters weren't at all likeable and the world, though incredibly detailed, seemed too much like a veneer. I just didn't engage with Los Santos like I did with the previous GTA cities.

The three character switching helped the usual gameplay seem new and interesting but underneath is was still the usual GTA. Rockstar did too much to appease the Saints Row brigade. GTAIV came under criticism from some (mostly younger) gamers for being dull compared to San Andreas but GTAIV, despite its extra detail, suffered from being a much smaller less interesting game world than San Andreas. GTAIV was just a huge list of features it didn't have compared to San Andreas. No jetpacks, no aeroplanes, no huge map etc etc. The actual stories and characters in GTAIV were a step in the right direction for GTA. They regressed from that with V I think.

It'll be interesting to see where Rockstar take GTA next. The formula is getting a bit tired these days. I'm far more interested in RDR. As a franchise it seems less weighed down by what people expect of it.

sschol

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly the game is very soulless compared to either IV or SA. Sometimes more mean-spirited. SA remains the king, IMO. I only played SA a few years before V came out, too. Didn't have much time to develop nostalgic attachment and that was well beyond the time it began to show it's age.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For me the issues with GTA5 (and rockstar games in general) are pretty apparent

- World is boring as fuck despite being huge and detailed. Exploring just feels completely pointless. I mean like shit, why are there a ton of place in the world that missions never take you to, and if you go there on your own, there's just fuck all to find or do those places? I mean like what the hell is the point of making a giant world with these places, that developers clearly spend time making, just for those places to then serve literally no purpose whatsoever?
- Combat is trash.
- Missions are boring as hell, just a lot of driving to some place and/or killing some dudes. The heist missions were pretty much the only interesting missions, and there's like 3 of those or something.
- Story and characters are boring as well.
- Physics heavily downgraded from GTA4

GTA5 specifically is just a giant boring snorefest, with clunky controls, that also removed the best part of GTA4 (physics)

Deleted member 12833

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly the game is very soulless compared to either IV or SA. Sometimes more mean-spirited. SA remains the king, IMO. I only played SA a few years before V came out, too. Didn't have much time to develop nostalgic attachment and that was well beyond the time it began to show it's age.
I agree with this. Every GTA since GTA3 had a clear identity and rich atmosphere. GTA5 just lacks the soul other GTAs had.

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
There were two things that I can recall that still make me think that GTA IV is superior to GTA V:

1) Some sort of empty world. I had such a good time just going full speed down the sidewalks and pummeling dozens of civilians with my car in GTA IV. It was just hilariously silly. I tried this in GTA V and there just aren't enough people on the sidewalks or cars around. I feel like I don't see any police chases between AI as well. The world doesn't quite feel alive and it confuses me.

2) Multiplayer. GTA Online sucks. What was simple in GTA IV (acquiring weapons and vehicles, having a blast just blowing one another away) became somewhat of an insufferable chore or event in GTA V. GTA Online is to trump others by having tons of money and level up a bunch so you can purchase the bigger and badder weapons/vehicles. GTA IV was pretty much exactly how I wanted it. Hell, I spent more time and had more fun with the original Multi-Theft Auto for GTA SA when they only had racing (100+ people racing!) than in GTA Online.

GTA SA still best GTA though. I spent a terrifying amount of hours in that game and playing multiplayer with my friends.