SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
My favorite is probably Portal 2. Basically a perfect game.

Just to throw it some love since I haven't seen anyone mention it, I really enjoyed Superliminal.

OP
OP
AIan

AIan

Oct 20, 2019
Just finished Stephen's Sausage Roll and I think it's now among my favorites. It felt like taking a specialized course on sausage rolling physics.

Fabtacular

Jul 11, 2019
Outer Wilds is the greatest game that features puzzles. The Witness is the greatest puzzle game, IMO.

I don't consider Tetris to be a puzzle game, TBH. There's no real solution and instead strategy/execution.

Jaymageck

Nov 18, 2017
Toronto
I absolutely don't consider it a puzzle game but since Outer Wilds is coming up I need to +1 it as a matter of principle.

The Witness is probably the right answer. Discovery is crucial to satisfaction. The Witness understands that.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
The Talos Principle/Talos Principle VR. Brilliant, genuinely fun & engaging puzzle design combined with thoughtful storytelling and a unique approach to some classic Sci-Fi themes. Not usually a huge puzzler guy, but Talos just felt like play where a lot of puzzle games feel like a chore.

hydruxo

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
The Witness. Absolute masterpiece and the only puzzle game in the last several decades that gave me the same feeling Myst gave me back in the day.

El Crono

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Mexico
I'm addicted to Picross. Every version that comes out I must play. The Picross 3D games, while not that challenging, are specially memorable.

I'm also very fond of Meteos, and Baba Is You was an absolute mind blower. Definitely one of my favorite puzzle games ever.

I love picross titles, so murder by numbers was a great fit for me.

I have that one on my backlog. I even bought the physical edition, so reading this makes me very happy of that purchase.

Return of the Obra Dinn, nothing else comes close

This one was also profoundly enjoyable, even if there's little to no replay value.

Fabtacular

Jul 11, 2019
Was just pondering what Tetris is if not a puzzle game. I guess maybe there's a distinction between live action / real-time puzzle games and passive problem-solving games.

wouldn't that rhetoric apply to pretty much every single tile-matching puzzle game out there?
Fair questions, both.

The answer is probably that Tetris is a puzzle game, but not the ponderous-type of puzzle game that I think of when this topic comes up.

Alternatively maybe Tetris is best thought of as a resource-management game. Because a lot of what you're doing is real-time balancing of your placement strategy against your remaining headroom.