• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Favorite Silent Hill?

• Silent Hill 1

Votes: 55 14.5%
  • Silent Hill 2

Votes: 242 63.7%
  • Silent Hill 3

Votes: 52 13.7%
  • Silent Hill 4: The Room

Votes: 11 2.9%
  • Silent Hill: Origins

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Silent Hill: Shattered Memories

Votes: 14 3.7%
  • Other (Downpour, Homecoming, Book of Memories)

Votes: 6 1.6%

• Total voters

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Sure, but it's still interesting to see where the other games land...
yeah they're doing better than I thought. A remake of 1 to bring it visually in line with 2 and 3 (not modern visuals, just up to that contemporary standard) would be a dream come true for me. It's still a great game even without that though - visually incredible for that hardware.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
As much as I love 2, I really think the original is my favorite.

Strangely I agree with you. 2 is more polished, but 1 as a game felt revolutionary when it arrived- and it was left intentionally vague by the narrative whether there was legitimately something supernatural going on, or whether it was all some sort of jacobs ladder-esque hallucination.

A lot of the narrative "mystery" and intensity was gone by the time 2 rolled around (it's generally understood what Silent Hill is by that point) even if Sunderland's story has more nuance than Harry's does.

The game is held back a lot by the PS1 hardware and I think much like Demon's Souls if it got a ground up remake on modern systems it's overall "reputation" would improve.

AtlasRyker

Jun 21, 2021
I could go on, but I just find myself really enjoying SH3 every few years I go back to play the series.

It's always a pleasure to read your opinion about horror games, and I can understand that feel. I'm always doing a SH 2 > SH1 > Sh3 every 2 years. There's nothing that resembles the experience that SH do.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
I think it has the best puzzles in the series. The difficulty options make HUGE differences in the game, I love how each puzzle has an odd bit of character to them, with a few of my favorites being the Number code puzzle comparing it to a face, the Morgue puzzle, the Fairytale Puzzle, or even just solutions with odd symbolism, like using the hanger to reach the ladder to pull it down.

This I'll give you. Silent Hill 3 does something that no other game in the genre has done, separating the combat and puzzle difficulties. You would think it would be a rather obvious option?

Personally I think the "hard" puzzles are absurdly difficult and beyond the ability of most reasonable people, so it's more the spirit of the attempt rather than the actual execution I'm applauding here.

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
Silent Hill 1 is still my favourite. I love the feels that it gives, I will also do a replay shortly.

My personal chart

1- Silent Hill 1
2- Silent Hill 2
3- Silent Hill 3
4- Silent Hill: Downpour
5- Silent Hill: Homecoming
6 -Silent Hill 4: The Room
7- Silent Hill: Origins
8- Silent Hill: Shattered Memories
9- Silent Hill:Book of Memories

dpanim

Oct 27, 2017
SH2>SH>SH3>SH4>Origins>Homecoming>Downpour>Shattered Memories>Book of Memories

Zolbrod

Oct 27, 2017
Osaka, Japan
I think there's a reason that whenever a new SH is announced, Konami promises it'll be "more like SH2."

It's hands-down the best one. They struck absolute gold.

InscrutableMe

Dec 19, 2017
Silent Hill 2 is the best horror movie... I've ever played, full stop. All horror fans owe it to themselves to experience it. It's the Terminator 2 sequel moment compared to Silent Hill 1's Terminator 1.

3 felt too... pretentious? Trying too hard? Some interesting moments but definitely the lesser product of the original trilogy. Extremely uninteresting story and characters.

4 was an interesting idea that was extremely poorly executed. A chore to go through and I'll probably never find myself wanting to play it again.

The rest of the series was just plain trash. Although Shattered Memories could have been something great if the dev team was given additional time, I suppose.

Coi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
2 and 4
1 and 3
In that order.
SH2 will always be the goat.
SH4 has an amazing story and development, hugely underrated, but understandable thanks to the weird gameplay additions.
SH1 is pure horror. Schools and hospitales are not the same for me after playing it when I was a kid.
SH3 is also great.

The rest are good enough for at least one playthrough, except for Book of Memories lol.

Dec 6, 2017
US
I think SH2 is the best all-around but I've played SH1 more and I think it's a slightly more enjoyable game in terms of gameplay somehow, not sure why.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Sure, but it's still interesting to see where the other games land...
and 1 and 3 can definitely go toe to toe with 2, it's not like those are not "meaningful competition".
The problem with a single choice poll is that you can never find out what people's second or third choices are.
Even though the site doesn't support ranked voting, asking people to vote for their top two games would get a more interesting result (though it's still likely to be dominated by 1–3).

Anyway, 3 would probably be second place for me, but it's quite far behind 2. I'm not remotely as interested in the cult stuff that most of the series focuses on.
4 is the only game in the series I haven't played or really seen much of.

Lothar

Oct 25, 2017
For me, it's definitely 3. I didn't love 2. SIlent Hill 1 and 3 were scarier. Heather in SH3 was one of my favorite characters in games, so I was most invested in 3's story as well. I liked the music more in 1 and 3 than in 2.

3 > 1 > 2.

Jun 7, 2021
United States
I've always had a soft spot for 3. As a teen when it came out, I related to Heather and I was also very interested in cults at the time.

2 will always have the best story of the series. Psychological horror at its best. 1 is a good comfort game. 4 did interesting things that I wish they could have expanded on.

Did not care for Origins or Book of Memories. Shattered Memories was cool the first time through, but I don't replay as much as the first four. Thought Homecoming/Downpour were fine, but wished they had pushed the envelope a bit more, though I have not played them since they came out and would be interested to replay them to update my opinion.

futurevoid

Oct 25, 2017
Silent Hill 2.

The rest of the series: 1 > 3 > 4 > Shattered Memories

*a large cliff*

Downpour > Origins > Homecoming > Book of Memories

CliveLH

Jun 22, 2019
3 > 1 > 4 > 2

I always like the town as it is depicted in 1 and 3, which is a lot more rational to me that the nightmarish representation of Silent Hill 2 where everyone seems crazy.

Overall 3 is my favorite in part because of how I played it for the first time with my best friend back then, but also of how the story is better explained through the cutscene and less is left for interpretation. I know i'm in the minority here, but really I loved the story of Silent Hill 3.

To me 4 and 2 are on equal level, but Silent Hill 4 had so much new idea for the series. I think it was really bold going in that direction and like that.

phanboy4

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who played 1-3 for the first time ever recently on original hardware - it's SH1 by a country mile.

SH1 is just an astonishing thing that stands up amazingly today, and was so far ahead of what games were doing at that time that it's not even funny.

The sequels are all great, but they haven't really matched SH1 for sheer, stupefying, out of the gate brilliance that's consistent all the way through. It's so shockingly good, so precisely sure of what it's trying to do at nearly every second, that it feels like aliens or people from the future made it.

SH2 is very, VERY different and an excellent game, and the plot (especially for the time) was extraordinary, but I don't think the overall design is as strong or as groundbreaking as SH1, and SH2's style and plot points have been copied, digested, and emulated by so many of the games that came after it that it somehow felt less fresh than SH1 to me, in 2021.

Last edited:
May 26, 2018
Two. It is a hands down masterpiece. 1 and 3 are very good as well — especially the horror in 1.

But 2 has legit worth to mankind. It deserves to be remembered hundreds of years from now if we don't get to choose many things to save.

Jan 11, 2018
1, 4, and Homecoming are my favorites. I think 2 is a bit overrated but still quite good.

The only one I didn't really like in the main series was Origins. It wasn't terrible but there was just nothing really unique about it at all.

Beth Cyra

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Shattered Memories by a fucking mile.

The way the games story unfolds and the twist at the end was absolutely perfect. Add in to the fact I brought my new born daughter home 2 weeks earlier and it was a magical experience.

Not only best Silent Hill, but best game released on the Wii.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
2, 3, and 4 are all very close for me, so which one's my favorite just depends on my mood on the particular day you ask me (voted SH4 since it's lagging behind severely). 1 is also great, but just isn't quite as compelling as the PS2 entries for me.

Last edited:

LonelyGay

May 18, 2019
1 > 2 > don't care about the rest.

I will never forget as a kid playing Silent Hill, and being amazed at how a blocky, ugly video game could legitimately scare me. It was the first time it ever happened, and I'll always remember that experience.

Saudamn

Nov 25, 2017
I know people hate on Homecoming but that game holds such a special place in my heart. I had the best time playing it. 1 was excellent as well.

Pyramid Head

Oct 27, 2017
2>1>3>4>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>who gives a shit.

RadioHeadAche

Oct 26, 2017
Difficult choice because I love 2&3 equally, but I voted 3. I love 4 too, but not quite as much, although it's close. I want to love 1 more, but the sewer level and annoying monsters hold it back a bit for me.

Winston1

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
In order from best to worst:

Silent Hill 1 = Silent Hill 2
Silent Hill 3
Silent Hill 4

*insert moderate gap here*
Homecoming
Origins

*insert enormous gap here*
Downpour

Silent Hill 1 and 2 are both excellent horror games with different approaches, and are essentially equal in how good they are. Silent Hill 3 is also a very good game, and I totally understand picking any of these three as your favorite.

Silent Hill 4 has very strong highs and lows, and I would say the highs are outnumber the lows.

I would never say that Homecoming is a good Silent Hill game, but I think it does make a decent action-horror game with a cheesy b-movie story.

Origins is fine for what is: a Silent Hill spin-off for the PSP. It does not come anywhere close to the quality of the original four console games, but it works as a decent time waster as a portable horror game with the gameplay and style of SH 1-3.

Downpour is one of the worst, if not THE worst, mainstream horror games to have been released on the PS3 and X-Box 360. The ONLY thing it has going for it are some cool ideas, which it does absolutely none even semi-competently. I honestly have nothing positive to say about it anymore, and my respect for its developers literally diminishes every time I play it.

So, in short:
Silent Hill 1 and 2: Fantastic
Silent Hill 3: Great
Silent Hill 4: Good
Origins and Homecoming: Mostly decent for what they are, with occasional bits of badness.
Downpour: Astonishingly terrible

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
The first game will always be my favorite because it scared the shit out of me back then like no other game.

Winston1

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I know people hate on Homecoming but that game holds such a special place in my heart. I had the best time playing it. 1 was excellent as well.
Homecoming was actually the first Silent Hill game I played, and I have fondness for it as well. It's not a great game, but I would say that it is the best of the Western developed games. Note that I have not played Shattered Memories.

kiriku

Oct 27, 2017
My choice has always been SH1. SH2 is great, it has a story that is better presented and with more complex and thought-through themes going on perhaps, but I always find the rust-covered pulsating brutal despair and darkness in SH1 to win me over. It is like SH2 was more refined, polished and even beautiful at times, and like a really dark thriller more than a horror experience, but that also took some of the edge away.